Gary Neville, son of Neville Neville, now seeking employment

Discussion in 'European Football' started by ILLOK, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

While that is true, hiring him was a symptom of the situation, and made it worse. They were 9th, 5 points of the CL spots after 13 games averaging almost 1.5 points per game. With him, they are 17th in La Liga, averaging less than 1 point per game, and have earned 18 points less than the 4th place team for that period. But for the good work of his fired predecessor, he'd have Valencia on the cusp of going down.

So naturally, he will be in the mix for the next England manager...

Hope in your heart likes this.
  2. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

a shame that ManU won't employ him to replace LvG!!!

DEVGRU and FGred like this.
  3. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

No idea what Valencia were thinking int he first place. Barely any experience as a club manager. Obviously, the club is in a bad way.

DEVGRU likes this.
  4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well Peter Lim is actually kicking himself right now I can tell you that. He is really worried about relegation with only 6 points above the relegation zone. Neville now has to make sure they stay up. He didn't expect that fella to be so bad since he had been talking so much about what he knows on tele, in meetings and also his experience as England coach. It's one thing to know the theory, it is another to put it in practice.

DEVGRU likes this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Um, I think after having been sacked he really doesn't have to make sure they do anything.

Reading a bit more about what he did over there, it does sound like he (Neville) sorted out a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, getting knowledgeable people in place in key senior positions etc. Apparently he went in with the attitude of managing the club as if he was there for the long-term (putting foundations in place), even though it was a short-term arrangement, but maybe a bit to the detriment of the short-term. Fair play to him, though, assuming they stay up his changes may actually stand them in good stead next season.

6. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 4.36.53 PM.png
    Gary Neville doing his impression of an Edvard Munch painting.

7. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

Interesting to see if Pako can turn things around...and also..put all that behind the scenes training and preparation and philosophy in football to good use as a manager...

8. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Sounds like he applied for and got appointed to the wrong job. :tongue:

9. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

I heard somewhere, that their owner was impressed by Gary's work on MNF.

@topic
    I think Neville will be a bit less arrogant on the show.

On a side note, this made me laugh.
    [​IMG]

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I think that is a fairly English spin on it that is giving him credit for work as a manager, where he was in fact a head coach. The only appointment he had direct responsibility for was Pako, and even that one was at the strong suggestion of the new sporting director trying to find ways to keep him in the job until the end of the season. The work he was directly responsible for, the performance of the team on the field, was where he was simply found wanting. Too many changes of direction, struggles with implementation, and so forth. To be fair, the language barrier made implementation very difficult, and he was coming in with no training time.

One of the simple problems is that at this point, a lot of the behind the scenes problems at Valencia are down to the owner's direction, and Neville is and was immediately seen as a creature of Lim's. One of the senior positions where the Lim administration had not put a knowledgeable and experienced person was precisely at head coach.

As a thought experiment, consider what the reaction would have been if Chelsea hired Raul this summer as their new manager, despite the fact he has no prior experience as a head coach or a manager.

11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I had a feeling we would see him on Sky before the season was out and we probably will, may appear on La Liga first, considering EL Classic is this weekend.

12. nevermind

nevermind Do not trust Atoms they make up everything

It was always a disaster waiting to happen. These pundits make themselves look like some high-end intellectuals knowing some deep understanding about a game that only a trained eye can observe reminds me a bit if the impression Brendan liked to portray.

13. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member