Georginio Wijnaldum (CM/AM) Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

A little bit underwhelming for me. Sure, seemed like a good player for Newcastle at points in the season but not one to get the pulse racing either. On balance probably prefer him to Zielinski, but not as much as Dahoud... I just have to assume that any potential deal for the latter has now been definitively ruled out. Ah well.

Also, I could be wrong here, but doesn't he play best as an AMC rather than a CM? I know he has played as the latter, just my impression that his best games came when he played further forward, but no10 is a position we have plenty of players for. And if he's to be a CM, then perhaps there are better options out there?

3. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He's not a central midfielder. He's played as an attacking midfielder or from out wide for Newcastle (on the left mainly).

I don't see how he could be an alternative to Dahoud. I know he has played central midfield in the past but I'd be extremely surprised to see him in that role for us.

4. AYBGerrardo

AYBGerrardo Well-Known Member

Because what we really need is another attacking midfielder :?:

Why on earth are we not targeting a left back with this kind of money? Crazy.

Cologne-Liverpool and spizfromoz like this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Yeah... kinda fits my impression really. Just seems a bit odd to be targeting that position given we have Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana... even Mane can and has played well there before. Or is it just me?

Edit: Not saying that he's not a good player, just seems an odd one given his best position is arguably our strongest.

6. ILLOK

Depth, isn't it?

Those 4 plus Wijnaldum for 5 positions. We've got 3 good strikers on the books too. That sounds like the kind of depth we always say we want for our attacking positions. We're not going to struggle for goals like we did at times last season or the season before with that set of players.

I think he's better than Lallana too, as I said about a week ago.

redfanman likes this.
  7. Zinedine Biscan

Perhaps I'd feel a bit more comfortable with it had we already signed the LB and CM we need before strengthening here... but it's all about identifying an opportunity at the right time. As I added above I do think he's a good enough player, so will just have to judge the window as a whole after it closes.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  8. ILLOK

I agree, a left back in particular is essential. If it turns out we are signing Wijnaldum in lieu of a left back I'll be bemused. I'm just struggle to believe that could be the case, though.

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

If we go for him, this signals the end of Markovic's stint with us. Anyway Klopp said we are going in for 3 more players.

10. ILLOK

Like I said a week ago, swapping Wijnaldum for Markovic in our squad only strengthens us. If that turns out to be the case and as long as this doesn't impact on our other business I see very few negatives to this.

redfanman likes this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Perhaps more the CM in Gini's case, and mainly because at the moment it feels a bit like (as far as we are aware) we're being led up some blind alleys there. Hopefully it all comes right by the end of the window.

12. RedLaw

RedLaw JFT96

Really surprised if we go for him to be honest. From what I saw last season he appeared fairly inconsistent and hardly the type of player who'd fit into Klopp's high pressing game.

Still, if Jurgen think he'll suit us then who am I to question, just seems like an odd fit.

13. Zinedine Biscan

At the risk of quoting you again (!), I do agree with this. If it's simply that in three friendlies Klopp has made a decision on Markovic and wants rid, and this is happening now to replace him before anyone else snaps him up, then I have no problem with it at all. Wijnaldum is a far more effective player than Markovic.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Yeah, this guy has more experience and doesn't need much love to get his confidence up. Markovic needs a bit too much of a pat on the back, too high maintenance. But Klopp was mentioning about us still eyeing 3 more, so this could be one of the 3. I don't see him signing strikers unread we sell Benteke this summer.

15. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Looks like this is definitely a goer. Personally haven't ever paid any attention to him so i'll be holding judgement till he arrives and starts playing.

redfanman likes this.
  16. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

All I remember about him was that he seemed to be blazing fast like Mané. No arguments with getting more pace, though it is odd that we are buying up all of the attacking midfielders that score in bunches.

redfanman likes this.
  17. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I'm fairly convinced that there was a thread on TIA about his link with a move to Liverpool six years ago. He was compared to Ronaldinho back then, played wide, had bag of tricks on him, funny hair and all. At Newcastle he was more of an central/attacking midfielder, at least in the games I watched (and he did impress me for the most part but there is a "but" in the rest of my post).

Not sure what to think, he does have physical and technical attributes, he had no problems adjusting to Premier League, scored and assisted quite a few at a struggling side (including goals against Man United and us) but... That old funny feeling of us not having scouts and having to pay premium for players who bossed one season in clubs that finished below us. I had no problems with, say, Clyne or Ings, quite the opposite but Wijnaldum will cost at least 20 million pounds unlike these two. Also, I feel he is an alternative to Zielinski but I'd feel pretty uneasy if Klopp wanted to use him as wide player - that he's not, at least not the kind we desperately need. One thing is sure - looking at his targets, Klopp really wants to add energy, pace and strength to this team.

18. RedStefarus

RedStefarus TIA Youth Team

No, no, no, this is not how this works...you are either for or against. You don't get to reserve judgement until you actually get to see how he will work in the team. You really should know better!

19. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Wasn't he a homer last season. I'm sure there was a stat towards the end of the season that he scored nearly all his goals at St James park.

20. AYBGerrardo

Yup. Wijnaldum goals last season:

21. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Add consistency.. Boom....

redfanman likes this.
  22. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

i like him as a player, but were will he play??

23. AYBGerrardo

Oh, simple as that, yeah?

24. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Roy was looking at him in the summer of 2010 at a fee of 5mp.I think he would do well for us although the 20mp is a bit off putting but that seems to be the prices these days.Much prefer Wijnaldum than Zielinski.

25. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

Potential and Jurgen Klopp go together pretty well

Cologne-Liverpool and redfanman like this.
  26. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

Klopp has always liked lighning fast wingers that likes to run in behind lines and tear things up.

While I have a soft spot for Lallana and I think Coutinhos top level is world class, Mane and Wijnaldum are more like the players we are used to see in a Klopp team.

I am a bit puzzled as to what we are suppose to do with the rest of our attacking players, though.

27. ILLOK

We should send Kent the other way on loan to soften the blow. Could do a lot worse than work under Rafa for a year.

Limiescouse, redfanman and Dave-D like this.
  28. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

This means the end for Lazar.

Drubas likes this.
  29. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

What I don't understand though, is that if Zielinski was the first choice (other than Dahoud), why were the club unwilling to pay 11+ mil for him seeing as this guy looks to be around 20 mil?

30. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

I remember that in the initial reports and interviews, media in Sweden did a big thing regarding Memphis and Wijnaldum being friends and team mates, leaving for England at the same time.

Back then, Wijnaldum was described as a player that played a defensive role while Memphis played in offense.

Maybe wijnaldum is regarded as a two way midfielder, Milner style, rather than AM?

redfanman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.