Georginio Wijnaldum (CM/AM) Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

ok, I see where you are coming from. Klopp is full of surprises, I still can't read his formations he will play tbh, but it is certainly very interesting the way he is shaping the team and you are right with great speed. I remember Collymore said that he would perform major surgery and be brutal with his culling, and it looks like it.

Most of you all are all winning me round this signing. Just one question, will Sturridge still be our main striker or is his place dispensable too?

Eta: I just feel too sad Joe Allen will not be part of it, I wish he had gone on loan rather than permanently.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

Who knows, but I would imagine the interest in GW predates his time at Newcastle where he was playing deeper and still scoring Loads. Re-reading my post I've simply revealed my own preference.

Found this article though and it's quite a good assessment of what Klopp was trying to achieve tactically and adjustments that might be made to playing staff. It was written post the Mane signing so has a decent synopsis of the thinking behind his signing.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/15/tactical-analysis-jurgen-klopps-liverpool/

3. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

Sorry, you'll have to speak up ........ I could have sworn that you just said "I'm a defective whinger ..... !" :think:

:tongue:

inaiq likes this.
  4. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/liverp...ty-and-unpredictability-in-liverpool-midfield

BY DAVID USHER

Georginio Wijnaldum would be Liverpool's most intriguing signing yet

If Liverpool finalise a deal for Newcastle United midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, it would be their most intriguing move of the summer so far.

Every signing they've made to this point has a specific position and it's fairly clear how and where they fit into Jurgen Klopp's plans. Goalkeeper Loris Karius is expected to soon replace current incumbent Simon Mignolet, Joel Matip will start at centre-half, Ragnar Klavan will compete for a spot alongside him, Marko Grujic will challenge for a place in central midfield while Sadio Mane will provide pace and thrust from the right flank.

Wijnaldum, who will undergo a medical on Friday ahead of a £23 million (plus add-ons) switch to Merseyside, is different. His role is much less clear-cut as he could potentially fill a number of positions. It will be interesting to see just how Klopp uses him.

The German usually favours either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation, or at least some variation of these basic set-ups. Occasionally he'll switch it up and play two strikers but more often than not, it's either three central midfielders and two support players, or vice versa. Wijnaldum could operate as a "box to box" player in a midfield three or in any of the three positions behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1.

Does Klopp have a specific role in mind for the Dutchman, or is it that the midfielder's versatility persuaded him to spend big on one of Newcastle's few shining lights last season? Given Liverpool's current circumstances, it may well be the latter. Having a player capable of performing at a high standard at several positions is extremely useful to a manager, particularly one in Klopp's current situation where he doesn't have enough fixtures to keep a large squad of international players happy.

Clubs with realistic Premier League and European trophy aspirations often need to have two top-level players for every position but Liverpool aren't in that situation right now. It might explain why Klopp targeted Wijnaldum having failed to strike a deal for another versatile attacking midfielder, Udinese's Polish international Piotr Zielinski. Having an accomplished "utility man" certainly gives a manager options and can be like having three players in one.

A number of Liverpool's current squad should be concerned about the arrival of the former PSV Eindhoven captain as he is capable of taking the place of four or five of last year's "first choice" XI and will surely find a spot somewhere in Klopp's team.

Wijnaldum can play anywhere in midfield and has a sense of late runs on goal that Liverpool desperately need.
    Wijnaldum scored 11 goals for a terrible Newcastle side last season. It was an impressive haul, although some may argue the number is distorted somewhat by the four goals he bagged in one game against relegated Norwich City. The counter to that argument would be that a lot of other midfield players lined up against Norwich last season too, but none scored four in one game against them.

While it's perhaps worth mentioning too that all of his goals came at St James's Park, that isn't entirely surprising given Newcastle's struggles away from home and shouldn't really be cause for any undue concern from Liverpool supporters. Regardless of where he scored them and who he scored them against, Wijnaldum still scored more league goals last season than the likes of Deli Alli, Dmitri Payet, Mesut Ozil, Eden Hazard and Christian Eriksen, not to mention every single Liverpool player.

Considering it was his first season in England and he was playing in a struggling side who were ultimately relegated, 11 goals from midfield is certainly nothing to be sniffed at. Clearly Wijnaldum has an eye for goal and a knack of arriving in the penalty area from deeper positions.

That intuition is something Liverpool certainly needed to improve and they may have done so already if two impressive pre-season run outs for young Serbian midfielder Marko Grujic are any indication. Grujic has netted in both games he has featured in so far and certainly looks an exciting prospect. If Wijnaldum is also added to the mix, Liverpool's goal output from midfield should certainly be boosted this season, which in turn should help relieve some of the pressure on the strikers.

With Mané on board and Wijnaldum expected to sign within days, Liverpool look to have added more goals to their team as well as more pace and power. In theory that should make them stronger next year -- assuming both settle in quickly and adapt to Klopp's methods, of course -- but there are never any guarantees.

Presumably Wijnaldum will be starting regularly as Klopp would not invested that kind of money to have him sit on the bench, but it will be interesting to see who makes way for him. The likes of Adam Lallana, James Milner, Jordan Henderson and others were favourites of Klopp last season but have a real fight on their hands to stay in the team now as competition for places is set to be fiercer than ever at Liverpool this season. Deal for Wijnaldum -

Dave Usher is the founder/editor of the popular LFC fanzine and website The Liverpool Way. You can follow him on Twitter @theliverpoolway.

FGred, garth, Artrain and 5 others like this.
  5. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Wow, that would be a full change of the whole midfield.

6. Dortmund fan

The article writer forgot one thing:

Those 3 players are England's national team members!!!

Is the level of the national team too low?
    Or will the level of LFC's future squad be too high?

7. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

I was going to ask you to join my Interweb detective agency and teach you the ways of the ninja but now you've hurt my feelings I'm not

:((

spooky and inaiq like this.
  8. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Personally, I don't care which country a player plays for.Its Liverpool Football Club that matters.
    But what is relevant is that Liverpool needs Home Grown players(Uefa/Fa rules) as well. So if any player cannot handle the competition then they do not belong at the club.

By the way, i am sure you were not compering the standards of Liverpool with the Standards of England. Were you?

Chewbazza, steveee and Fester like this.
  9. Dortmund fan

I just wonder the writer thinks 3 England internationals could leave.

10. inaiq

@Fester I would advise you think long and hard about joining this Interweb Detective Agency(IDA)... They may have some odd "indoctrination rituals" you know like the "Free M????? Society" nudge nudge wink wink a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat....
    :-)

11. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

I
    If it makes you feel any better Pogba has a goal and assist every 2 games for the best team in Italy, whereas Gini Wijnaldum has a goal and assist every 2 games for the worst team in England. :well done:

12. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Hands are tied on that one Maria. Either sell him now or he signs a pre-contract with a foreign club in January or ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) or can sign a pre-contract with an english club in March and as he's over 24 we'd get nothing.

Personally I would have liked him to stay but to be fair to the lad he deserves to playing week in week out which he won't get here

13. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

That ship has sailed

If the rituals you are referring to are the orgies with playboy models then I can neither confirm or deny that

Scott Jones and inaiq like this.
  14. Fester

I am a TIA agent as I alluded to in a previous post ......... ;-)

darkvoid and inaiq like this.
  15. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Can I please ask everyone to stop sniping at each other please.

@Bellion I'd strongly suggest that you wind your neck in. It's fine to have an opinion, but being as aggressive with it as you are being is likely to rub people up the wrong way.

darkvoid, Fester, spooky and 6 others like this.
  16. inaiq

@darkvoid your innuendos are not enough to entice... He is bound to the oath of a TIA Agent. ;-)

darkvoid likes this.
  17. inaiq

Ah, I see what you are asking, IMO, he is saying that there will be competition in the MF area and if a player cannot stepup and raise their game to the standards that Klopp wants then they will not be getting much game time.

Dortmund fan likes this.
  18. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

As long as Klopp does, that's all that matters!

19. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Mane and Wijnaldum will bring greater balance to our midfield as we now have workhorses in Milner and Henderson, flair players in Coutinho and Firmino and dribblers/runners in Mane and Wijnaldum.

That gives us lots of options to vary our play. Last season our midfield was a bit samish, a little slow and static at times.

FGred and Hope in your heart like this.
  20. inaiq

:-)

Once the PL kicks off we will all get a chance to give our formation before each game, until then I am enjoying not knowing...
    I have not had a buzz like this during a preseason since the early Rafa days.

21. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

When you look at that team, it's still just the 8th best team plus a winger and goalkeeper.
    Now assuming a goalkeeper gives us 10 extra points, and a winger might put us in a position to win a few more games, would that add up to about 15+ points, which may get us CL.
    Overall, out top performers last season, statistics wise, was Firminho and Milner.
    Looking at that team, I still think someone's off, who we are not expecting. One of Henderson/Lallana/Countinho, or possibly even Firminho.

22. inaiq

Hope you don't mind me stepping into your post, IMO, Last season was the leftovers of the dogs dinner that was BR... sorry had to vent it out... not at you but that ******* BR.

NIDINGR likes this.
  23. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Totally agree here,LFC is certainly changing quickly ,for the better,we are going to be a totally different team on the park than what we have been for a while.
    We need a LB,and probably not much more,although who knows what the lat half of the window will throw up.
    Love to see Hector here,the icing on the cake,would make us an even tougher proposition for every other club.
    Not inclined to sell Hendo though,if he is over his injuries and if he is relieved of the captaincy, he may well live up to the promise,that many thought was there.
    Initially,I wondered about Lovren as captain, but on serious reflection he might be a good choice.

24. inaiq

Fair point on the stats, we also have 2 new CB, a fitter Flanno,. Ings is fit again, Sakho is not suspended and Klopp has a full season... so at minimum is there a possibility of 6 points more to your total?
    My Glass is half full :-).

Livvy and Fester like this.
  25. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

So is mine, but I'm just wondering whether someone is leaving, who we haven't heard about.

26. D Fred

D Fred Active Member

Michael Cox: Why Wijnaldum is crucial to Newcastle’s system – and hopes
    7 December 2015

Few predicted a Newcastle victory over Liverpool at the weekend – but Michael Cox explains how their Dutch goalscorer makes McClaren’s system work...

Newcastle’s 2-0 victory over Liverpool on Sunday afternoon was one of the scrappiest Premier League games you’ll see all season. With Steve McClaren determined for his players to match the work-rate of Liverpool in the centre of the pitch, there was plenty of commitment, but very little quality. A fierce wind didn’t help, with almost all areas of attacking play affected – attempted penetrative passes were poor, crosses were overhit, players seemed to dribble into traffic rather than into space.

But, ultimately, this helped Newcastle. An open, technical game would have favoured the better side, but the scruffy, frantic nature of the contest suited the underdogs. There wasn’t a single shot on target before the 85th minute – which McClaren probably would have accepted before the game.

While Newcastle successfully blunted Liverpool, they weren’t capable of putting together good passing moves of their own. Siem de Jong continues to look sluggish in his No.10 role, Papiss Cisse wasted a good chance, and Moussa Sissoko continually misplaced passes from his right-midfield slot.

The one player who offered quality was Georginio Wijnaldum. The Dutchman was constantly a threat with his driving midfield runs from the left, and he was responsible for both goals: Martin Skrtel deflected his shot past Simon Mignolet, and then he secured the points with a delicate chip in stoppage time.

4-2-2-2 Toon

In Newcastle’s rough 4-2-3-1 system, McClaren doesn’t deploy conventional wingers. Instead, both Wijnaldum and Sissoko are naturally central midfielders who have been moved out to the flanks, which creates a tightly-packed, compact midfield quartet. It’s 4-2-3-1 at times, but more like 4-2-2-2 on other occasions, with the wide players moving inside and De Jong supporting Cisse.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...age/public/wijnaldumsissoko.jpg?itok=Nu0dIGzI

[​IMG]

Wijnaldum and Sissoko: Toon's narrow wide men

Without the ball, Wijnaldum and Sissoko tucked inside and helped Vurnon Anita and Jack Colback crowd out Liverpool in the centre, and all four are due great credit for their defensive performance. The interesting feature of Wijnaldum’s game, however, is that he doesn’t even attempt to play as a winger.

He instead continues to play his usual role as a technical box-to-box midfielder from a slightly wider role, as shown by the positions of his passes received and passes played. His movement is very diagonal, surging through the centre of the pitch and often into inside-right positions.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...nline-image/public/passes_0.png?itok=PGwJtLF6

[​IMG]

The crucial area of Wijnaldum’s game, though, was his ability to dribble past opponents in deep, narrow positions. With Liverpool typically attempting to press high up the pitch, this was crucial in bypassing the pressure and taking the ball into the opposition half. In this respect, the difference between Wijnaldum and Sissoko is significant – the Dutchman’s dribbles were in central positions inside his own half, whereas the Frenchman was trying, and failing, to play like a conventional winger.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...inline-image/public/takeons.png?itok=UD1zUK9R

[​IMG]

Sissoko’s improvement

Sissoko had a poor game – he could hardly do anything right in the first half. He improved after the break and continually looked up when moving forward in possession, and found Wijnaldum breaking quickly, often going behind the defence. Sissoko found him five times – four of them produced a Wijnaldum shot.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/s...ge/public/sissoko-wijnaldum.png?itok=jW3RhYzx

[​IMG]

“We have had a few difficult weeks and we had to recover after last week because the performance was not so good,” Wijnaldum said after the victory. “We trained hard together and tried to keep the confidence and it worked. We fought to win the game and we were lucky that we won. We worked hard, especially in the first half, we worked hard together.” While this is a fairly typical post-match statement from a footballer, Newcastle’s work-rate was impressive throughout, and crucial in their performance. Wijnaldum is one of the few Newcastle players who guarantees both technical quality and commitment – Ayoze Perez, a second-half substitute, is probably the only other. If Newcastle are to beat the drop, Wijnaldum needs to find more performances like this – and hopefully inspire his team-mates to step up, too.

garth and redfanman like this.
  27. anfieldaussie2121

anfieldaussie2121 New Member

I love this acquisition....fast goal scoring midfielder, exactly what we have been lacking since Stevie G. GW is a big upgrade on Joe Allen. I think that either Milner or Lallana will be moved on.

28. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Eddie, please. A whole post because a poster made a poor selection of comma position!
    Pedantry, or are you an English professor moonlighting?

inaiq likes this.
  29. Fester

Leave it mun ........ Mascot's got the red ink out ....... time to move on ....... ! ;-)

Mascot88, inaiq, lfc.eddie and 2 others like this.
  30. Bellion

Bellion New Member

Have you seen Brendan's interview on goals on Sunday about the transfer committee? Brendan said that he could request a top player and get handed a short list of 5 mediocre one's, he probably wanted Begovic, Sokratis and Goetze but instead got two unknowns from Germany and the star of a relegated team.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.