Heading to Liverpool in April

Discussion in 'World Wide Reds' started by SF Red, Mar 10, 2016.

1. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

Hi everyone - I'm heading to Liverpool in April to watch the Newcastle match.

The match is currently scheduled for Saturday 23/4. I'm not flying out from Manchester until 27/4.

I spent 5 days in Liverpool about 2 years ago and I am looking to check out some other areas. I have three days to travel around a bit. it's just me (wife is staying home) so I am free to what I want. I was thinking about Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I really don't know much about Scotland.

Any ideas for how to spend 3 days around the end of April? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

You're travelling without your wife? I think we're first going to need to know whether she reads these forums...

SF Red likes this.
  3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

If you're thinking Scotland then Edinburgh is a lovely city to spend a couple of days in. I've not been to Glasgow.

SF Red likes this.
  4. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

I'm also open to any other suggestions on places to go from Liverpool. I can either fly out of Manchester or London at the end of my trip.

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Edinburgh is gorgeous and well worth a visit. Takes about 3 and a half hours on the train one way with one change, from Liverpool. Never been to Glasgow.

There's nowhere closer to Liverpool I'd suggest looking at really. Manchester is next door but there's nothing worth you going out of your way to see. York is a nice city to spend a day in (and can be reached from Liverpool via train within 2 hours), but I'm not sure it's worth missing out on Edinburgh for. Though you can go from York to Edinburgh on the train so you could do them both if you planned well enough.

6. Kopstar

You could get a flight to Dublin for less than £40 for a return. Takes about an hour. Otherwise I also recommend Edinburgh (also cheap flights available).

What sort of things are you interested in? History? Architecture? Nightlife? Entertainment? Sport?

Incidentally, the 23rd is St George's day so you might want to keep an eye on these sorts of events http://www.skiddle.com/cities/liverpool/stgeorgesday.html

If you were minded to go to London worth bearing in mind that it's the London marathon on the 24th. Something you may want to see or avoid!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    SF Red likes this.
  7. ILLOK

Dublin's probably cheaper and easier to get to but Edinburgh is a much nicer city imo.

SF Red likes this.
  8. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

It turns out that I can fly out of Edinburgh as well.

9. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

Thank you for the info about the London marathon.

For this trip (after LFC v Newcastle), I would be interested in history and architecture and maybe some nature. It's going to be low key.

I did the whole Europe thing after college and that was nuts - but that was 20 years ago.

10. ILLOK

In 3 days you could probably do both. Takes less than 40 minutes to fly to Dublin from Liverpool, I imagine it'd be an hour to Edinburgh (though it'd be from Manchester? Never noticed Liverpool to Edinburgh flights before). Can get flights for $30 to Dublin from Liverpool (return).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  11. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

I have lived in all three, and my recommendation would be to go to Edinburgh. IMO the best city in the UK/Ireland, with lots of tourist things, good nightlife and a real historic feel.

Although you can fly, you are actually better just catching a train. Whats not typically factored in travel is traveling to the airport, going through customs and then traveling from the airport at the other end. 1 hour flight ends up being 3-4 hours door to door. Not to mention cost of airport buses, baggage allowance etc.

It is less stressful and quickier catching the train, which takes you from the center of Liverpool to the center of Edinburgh.

I would however book the train ASAP so that you can get a cheap ticket, pirce start to rise 4-8 weeks ahead.

Kanonkop, Matt and ILLOK like this.
  12. ILLOK

It depends what day he's thinking of going. I think there's engineering works up the west coast on that particular sunday, given there seems to be a bus replacement service from Preston to Carlisle (have just checked). Travelling via York up the east coast takes 5 hours and would cost him over 100 quid return, to get up the west coast would take about the same amount of time but requires 3 changes with one of them being a coach, though a cheaper return at £77 is available. Advance purchase tickets are going to be in massively short supply, I'd say there's little chance of him getting a good deal there. I much prefer train travel to flying but it's a no contest here (provided the prices are reasonable as well as the flight times). Takes about 15 minutes usually to get through customs at John Lennon as well, would probably knock off two hours of journey time at least.

I am presuming he wants to go on the sunday though. Travelling up after the game isn't really an option and going on monday wouldn't leave him much time.

i_still_miss_fowler likes this.
  13. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Dublin is a place I wouldn't recommend. (Some of the other lads might disagree, notably the ones with "Dublin" in their name) Ireland in general, yes, but not Dublin. Be kinda like visiting the US, but only seeing New York. Cork's an equally short hop from Liverpool on a Ryanair flight, and offers a lot of the good stuff of a big city, while still being a bit more rural (400,000 people versus 1.5 million) but would recommend Galway if you can.

Edinburgh is nice. Really cool town. Glasgow's alright, but a bit... erm, Pittsburghy?

14. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Nothing worth seeing in Manchester? Have you been recently? World class architecture, herritage and museums.

15. ILLOK

If you could read properly you'd understand my point.

He has a very limited amount of time, it's not worth missing out on Edinburgh for Manchester. I know you have this fetish for talking up Manchester and talking down Liverpool on here (how edgy) but if you think Manchester is worth seeing over Edinburgh there is no hope for you at all.

16. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

I'd say many, many places were worth seeing over Edinburgh. Spent weeks there, would rather have been in the Lakes, by far the nicest place in the UK.

Fetish for talking up Manchester? Don't be so bloody stupid. Apart from the football, it IS a nice place.

17. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

I've decided to go to Edinburgh.

Personally, I'd rather take the train than fly - it's just easier and I'd probably get some sleep on the train (if I take an early morning train).

The fastest train I can find is just under 5 hours. Is the ride from York to Edinburgh a nice ride ( in terms of scenery). Also, the connection time is 11 minutes. Are the trains usually on time and, if it's late, will they let me take the next one? Thanks for the help.

18. ILLOK

Yes, the ride up is supposed to be a nice one. I've only gone as far as Newcastle, it's mainly just countryside you see. The arrival into Durham is great, the station overlooks the town and you get a fantastic view of the cathedral.

I'll pm you about the other stuff.

SF Red likes this.
  19. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

There are a few cheap trains just need to know a few of the tricks ;-)

On the Sunday catching the 8am train if you split ticket its cheaper.

If you get a single from Liverpool to York its its £12.30
    A single from York to Edinburgh (10am) is £ 20
    Coming back to Manchester airport £20 (few different trains)

In Edinburgh itself there are world class museums/art gallaries (free), visit the palace or the castle (dont do both as pretty samey), Mary Kings close is good (underground streets), I would also recommend doing one of the tours https://www.rabbies.com/one_day_tours_scotland_ed.asp (I would reccomend doing Hiland lochs and whisky tour or Lochness, Glencoe and Highlands tour)

Although not done it with a tour company I have driven those routes/visted those places and they are well worth doing.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    SF Red likes this.
  20. Kopstar

I was last in Edinburgh five years ago for my stag weekend. I'd recommend the ghost tours and also eating at The Witchery near the castle. If you're not vegetarian make sure you have some haggis, had a bloody tasty haggis in a pub on Johnston Terrace near the castle.

Also, it's a bit deceptive and I haven't seen it commented upon a great deal but Edinburgh, sat on a volcanic plug (Arthur's seat), is basically one big hill. Almost wherever you walk to is up or down.

SF Red likes this.
  21. ILLOK

Oh aye, I know all that. I checked the app on my phone last night and nothing much was coming up, though I see the fares you mentioned now. He can't catch the 10:01 train though, it takes just over 2 hours for the 8:22 to arrive into York. The 10:49 is £34.50.

Another good point about Edinburgh that Kopstar touches upon, wear some comfy shoes to walk around the city in. You'll constantly be walking up hills or up steps.

SF Red likes this.
  22. He Drinks Sangria

He Drinks Sangria Well-Known Member

Ditto on Dublin. I only spent an afternoon there but I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, so my thorough recommendation is Durham. Accessible by train from Liverpool (2h45m) and absolutely beautiful.

Don't rule out London, either, as that's only a couple of hours by train. There are some great historical sites down there but it's not for everyone. The other thing to consider is that, while London's a massive place, there's not much else around it, so you couldn't see a few cities in one trip as you could if you stayed up north.

23. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Dublin is a shithole tbh

24. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

From Edinburgh to the Trossachs is not too bad ...maybe an hour plus. Great natural scenery stuff there (the Trossachs though, as it's very nice indeed). Very tough to do scenic UK in only 3~4 days though. There is quite a bit to see as a basic Island nation.

London is wonderful, if you so like the more urban scene. Other places are more quaint though. Wales and Scotland have some wonderful and very rugged scenery, as does NW England as well. Very tough to see all that in just 3~4 days though. Wales is much closer to Merseyside here and often spectacular enough as well.

SF Red likes this.
  25. Jasline

Jasline New Member

Hello everyone!
    As I'm a new member, I am not allowed to start a new post...
    But I'll be travelling to London in December and would love to catch one of our games!
    It's always been on my wish list since my dad brought me to the world of soccer and Liverpool when I was 5.

It's my first time to London, so I've no idea how to get tickets, and how much they'd cost.
    Would appreciate if anyone can give me some advices on how to go about to catching a game!

Thank you so much!

26. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Either Anfield games or else high-profile away games will always be massively oversubscribed and/or else normally just very expensive to attend.

One very cheap semi-recent option was Middlesborough away on mid-week Wednesday 14th December 2016. An all-inclusive price of ferries (from Belgium/Holland/Germany ...plus trains to meet that), plus match ticket, plus an overnight *3 star hotel in Newcasle, plus matchday bus return to-and-from the ground = 138 quid all-in. That was a very good all-in deal. Another one was the Wolves FA Cup game at Anfield on 28th Jan and about 150 quid all-in for that, again with hospitality stuff. Similar idea of guaranteed ticket, plus accomm, plus transfers, plus return flights too. These are the far rarer "deals" stuff though. Low pick-up interest versus an already taken allotment then saw some very nice offers available. High demand games could/would be about 5x the price though.

The main problem with any hospitality stuff is that the view will be from just-about the very corner of the ground ...and deals can be very rare to get at. Better stuff can be to just see if you can book a ticket for one of our less profile away games. Stoke away is usually a very good bargain here. It would all depend on which games do actually fall in your own travel time-window though. The luck element here.

27. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

For starters, you need to get yourself to Liverpool not London!

Away games (especially in London - you have zero chance of getting tickets).

Suggest you register as a member and then take your luck with obtainign tickets when they are released for sale...but be prepared to be dissapointed unless as @cardiffpete says, you go for one of the cup or midweek games.

28. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

I'm going to Liverpool for my 2nd game at Anfield. Can't wait. Bournemouth on a Wednesday night. Hopefully won't be losing 4-3 this time!

29. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

Is there anyway of meeting the players and manager before the game?

30. Jasline

Jasline New Member

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I'll only be in London from 23rd Dec 2017 to 5th Jan 2018. I'm okay with any away or home games (home will be the best!). I just really want to catch the team in action. I'm okay with cup games too. The games you mentioned are in 2016, so I'm way past that now ): What other games do you think I'll be able to catch?