Internationals

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Ataturk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Here is the goal for wales:

I have to admit I didn't know that nainggolan guy, but his header to bale was hilarious.

@Rattlesnake888
    I have no idea how good wales played because I only watched some clips on youtube.
    But they must be doing something right to top their group after 6 games.

2. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

not really RD.

this is football circa 2015.

winning games and topping groups doesn't actually mean your any good anymore!

3. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33017520

QUOTE="redbj, post: 451994, member: 136"]not really RD.

this is football circa 2015.

winning games and topping groups doesn't actually mean your any good anymore![/QUOTE]

I merely pointed out that Wales did not play as well in this game as they have in other group games. I take ypu haven't seen any of their games??

It was a backs to the wall performance for the majority of the 90mins and the BBC report backs that up. 18 shots by Belgium tells it's own story.

4. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

I wonder if any Northern Ireland or any Republic of Ireland fans can answer a question that's been puzzling me for a while. Why do both countries have separate teams in football but play as one Ireland in rugby? Is it more to do with Irish political history or is it just to do with the size of both countries?

I did Google the question but couldn't find a definitive answer.

5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

@LaurazRed, Northern Ireland wasn't created until after WWI, by which time the Irish rugby and football teams had been playing for decades. The FAI was formed shortly after the Government act of Ireland that created N.I. because a dispute between Belfast and Dublin (explained here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Football_Association). For whatever reasons similar issues in rugby have managed to be resolved better and so they never saw the need to separate.

LaurazRed likes this.
  6. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Looked it up for you

RUGBY:
    From 1874 to 1879 there were two Unions. The Irish Football Union had jurisdiction over Clubs in Leinster, Munster and parts of Ulster. the Northern Football Union of Ireland controlled the Belfast area.In 1879 the two Unions agreed to amalgamate.A Union to be known as the Irish Rugby Football Union was to be formed for the whole country.Connacht,the 4th irish provence, entered the union in 1885.Been that way ever since.

SOCCER:
    Organised football on the island of Ireland was originally administered from Belfast and was largely confined to Ulster in the early years.Political events of the time and the rise of Nationalism after the Easter Rising of 1916 undoubtedly exerted an influence as the southern affiliates grew more demanding in their dealings with the Belfast run IFA.Some clubs believed that development of the game in the South had been neglected by the administration in Belfast.
    Cut a long story short,this caused a split in 1921 which eventually led to the formation of the 2 different teams.

LaurazRed likes this.
  7. RaoulDuke

1-0 austria vs russia (in moscow).
    Brilliant scissor kick from janko!
    And austria had the chance to knock russia out just a minute later, baumgartlinger missed a sitter.

Russia should win tonight if they still want to have a chance to qualify.

8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Beauty of a goal from Novakovič, so simple and effective. England should have been in the lead before it, though.

9. RaoulDuke

Cautious Roy knows a draw or defeat is enough, and they are still likely to qualify.
    That's why I don't expect too much from him in second half, as usual.

10. MViper

MViper TIA New Signing

Nice goal from Nova, although we're quite a bit lucky. Midfield is non existant, high pressing is killing us. Luckily Raheem backed off, because Brecko on right is quite confusion in motion.

11. Nikola

Corker from Wilshere, Sterling and Lallana were pivotal in it. Then Rooney misses a great chance. Sterling has been good today, only end product missing.

12. MViper

MViper TIA New Signing

Beautiful goal by Wilshere. I was predicting 1-2 for England before the game. We're going there :S

13. MViper

MViper TIA New Signing

Another belter from Jack. Well deserved.

14. RaoulDuke

Russia 0-1 Austria.
    Capello allegedly on 7-9 millions p.a., koller on 800k p.a.
    I guess that's it for russia.

15. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Nice to see teams like Iceland, Slovakia and 1-2 others doing well. With more teams at the Euro it was always a chance for some of them of course.

16. RichLFC

RichLFC TIA First Team

Austria winning away in Russia

Capello seems to have been the very definition of 'phoning it in' ever since he turned up there

17. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Mind you has he been paid yet?

Amusing to see Wales do well (as a Welsh mate said to me they will probably fuck this up after I said they should qualify for Euro 16 with the addition teams) quite possibly we may have all 4 of the home nations with Ireland missing out at next years tournament.

18. RaoulDuke

That would be great.
    But it's still a long way to go for scotland.

It would be incredible if they could beat germany at home and go past them.
    Plus scotland still have to play poland at home.
    Meaning the scots are still in control of their own destiny.

19. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

A shame, this swastika appearing on the pitch of the Split stadium, the other night.

That will surely have bad effects for the Croatian team. They expect a massive punishment from the UEFA now... Absolute shame, they are a great team to watch currently, and I hope they make it to France nevertheless.

20. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

Thank you @RedSeven for this very clear answer. You found a much better explanation of the two sporting histories between the Football and the Rugby Union of the two Nations than I did. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  21. Zoran

Yeah, couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw the photo online at half-time. But also at the same time unfortunately wasn't surprised even though the stadium was closed because of the ban. Someone obviously knew someone and got in. There are apparently serious plans from that group of fans (very much domestic club related, revolted by some of their situations be it at Dinamo with Mamic, who are dominating and practically controlling everything in the league, or the FA with Suker, who many people can't stand since he took over that role and believe to be allowing Mamic have even more control) to provoke Croatia getting kicked out from the Euro. I'm genuinely worried about what might happen in the remaining group games. We have a game against Bulgaria in Split (a city long ignored by the FA for not giving them more national team games instead of Zagreb, not to mention Hajduk Split's relations with the FA and Dinamo Zagreb), not to mention going away to Malta (last group game) where that swastika idiotism already happened a couple of years ago.

22. Hope in your heart

As said before mate, I just cross fingers that it won't hinder Croatia's qualification for the Euros. I genuinely enjoy seeing the likes of Modric, Rakitic, Srna, Mandzukic, Olic et all enjoying their football together these days. It would be a real big shame to see them disqualified because of a (hopefully small) group of idiots...

23. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Brilliant free kick for Armenia against Portugal by Marcos.

Ronaldo's third was also a good goal.

24. Zoran

Ilori vs Can in the U21 semi's in around 30 minutes.

25. Nikola

So Ilori wasn't seriously injured in the last game? Great news if that's the case, last thing he needs is another injury to rule him out of pre-season.

26. Zoran

Unfortunately he just picked up an injury in the warm up which forced Portugal to make a last minute change in their line up...

27. Nikola

You couldn't make it up. Lad has a jinx on him, no other way to explain it.

28. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Portugal have been very good. Some really exciting players in that team. I've watched three of their games this tournament, and been impressed with the likes of Bernardo Silva and the captain Sergio Oliveira. Ilori has also had a very good tournament. Those injuries though...

29. Hope in your heart

And now that Portugal have dispatched Germany in such an impressive way, the world cup is likely over for him anyway, even if he gets fit again... oh well... anyway, he's a huge talent, but he somehow needs to keep consistent fitness.

30. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

What's the name of that portugese center mid? Carvalho? That guy is outstanding. Why are we not even making a try for him??