Internationals

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Ataturk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

I dont know where else to put this but we've just beaten the U.S. to reach the first Gold Cup final in our history. Absolutely mental. We've only just beaten the U.S. for the second time and the first on American soil.

Absolutely mental

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

The gold cup has turned into a bit of a no win tournament for the US as evidenced by how shocked to lose they were in the semi final and how badly its being received.

3. gasband

gasband The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign

The decision against Panama in the 88th minute when they are leading 1-0 is really injustice for them. IF that were not given, it would have seen 2 of the more unfancied teams making the finals.

4. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Aye. Mexico have really ridden their luck in this tournament with the big decisions.

5. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Well, in the midst of the FIFA corruption scandal, most of the noise has been coming from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, which is why the US got involved in the first place. The Gold Cup in and of itself is an absolute joke of a tournament, held in an absolute joke of a confederation - which mysteriously now has four World Cup spots. North and South America should be merged, teams like the US and Mexico need to have their free passes taken away from them.

6. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Steady now ubermick I'm on a high

Logistically that would be a nightmare. Can you imagine this Jamaican team playing in Santiago on Tuesday then Kingston on Friday. The climate would not facilitate that demand. Its two different climatic regions, its two different continents, it would be widely insane to merge the two. Its already bad enough that we have to play in freezing temperature in Colorado then play in the Kingston heat.

The answer isn't to limit the amount of competition that smaller countries play. I think the structuring of the international calendar is burdensome on everyone. We have to allow nations such as Panama, Jamaica and Costa Rica to grow and play more, not some one off friendly in October. That's a disaster for everyone, especially the clubs as well. Merging a country like Jamaica with the population barely 5 million taking into account our diaspora to play the likes of Brazil and Argentina would absolutely destroy our federation hence breeding more corruption in the sport.

Costa Rica proved last year that there is talent within the region. Its not as if the U.S. or Mexico tanked as well. We've beaten the United States not because the U.S. were particularly horrible but we have finally had some organization within the federation. The Copa America was used as a warm up this tournament and obviously worked so far, prior to the Copa America we had one warm up match in six months and thats with a team that's scattered across various clubs in England and the MLS.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    OhYaBeauty likes this.
  7. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

What RMP said. I get bemoaning the amout of spots that CONCACAF is given, but suggesting a merge with CONMEBOL is absurd. Think about how English fans butch about Europa league games in Bulgaria and then consider what that would mean for an Americas Champions League and World Cup Qualifiers.

Not to mention, UEFA didn't exactly shine with its World Cup berths last year, either. England and Italy were embarrassments.

That sounds bad, but even if you forget the climate thing, imagine the travel time from Montevideo or Buneos Aires to Vancouver or Boston. At least Jamaica would be somewhat central to that new organization.

8. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

9. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Serbia with an easy group they won't pass, while Montenegro are in for some tough time. It will be a pleasure to meet Irish fans again, I had that honour in 2008 when Montenegro hosted them. An absolute bunch of gentlemen with the nicest manners I've seen, even when they when were on booze! :-) I even took a picture with one of them, Steve Finnan was his name, from Limerick, he said.

Ataturk likes this.
  10. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Sweden got a very tough group, while it looks like we might see Iceland in the WC for the first time? At the moment, I think they'd do well against both Ukraine and Turkey. Unbeleivable standard of players, considering the bloody country has 350k inhabitants.

Norway in trouble - not the worst group, but the Czechs are getting their act together. Their coach is of the right kind. Extremely attack minded. He took Plzen to the CL on several occasions.

Those poor sods in Spain and Italys group are just totally buggered.

11. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

The US and Mexico have always been tough outs and usually make it to the knockout stages. Their places in the World Cup are definitely deserved imo. It's Asia that's terrible.

12. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

England's qualifying group of England, Slovakia, Scotland, Slovenia, Lithuania, and Malta makes a farce of the 'UEFA is the toughest group/federation'. Has more of the tougher teams than anywhere else, but as a percentage certainly not. Yet again, England will make the finals with a sequence of home wins against nobody, underwhelming draws away, and a couple of embarrassing losses, then crap the bed at the first credible opposition once they get there.

For this, Hodgson wants a new contract.

13. Arminius

How do you figure the US and Mexico have a free pass, while a UEFA also-ran like England doesn't in a group like England, Slovakia, Scotland, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta.?

OhYaBeauty likes this.
  14. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Possibly a tricky group for us (we might be our own enemies if part of our fans continue causing problems provoking empty stadiums, possibly bans and generally not a good atmosphere around it), but we should be able to do it. We're forming good quality through the spine and have more young ones about to make the breakthrough. We'll face a couple of teams who we already played in some crucial games in the near past so there should be no big secrets.

15. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Been trolled by the football gods, yet again. Mexico has been piss poor throughout the tournament but they showed up tonight and played us off the park. Guardado is a class act, wonderful football.

Been drawn in the group of death as well in juwt the second round of the WCQ. However, we got a young team and hopefully we can attract the likes of Wisdom and Dyer to the squad.

16. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

With the International break upon us and our players swanning off to all parts of the world representing their countries in meaningless games. I thought that it would be a good time to reflect on the start of the season.

When the lists came out, I expected that we would lose both away games. Having conceded 10 goals in the corresponding fixtures, I think it was a fair assumption.

I had also expected that we would struggle against Bournemouth, newly promoted sides normally pick up strange results. However I thought we would beat West Ham by a couple of goals at least. So I expected about 4 points at this stage.

I suppose I should be happy that we have 7.

Football is all about opportunities and we have missed a massive opportunity to make a statement of intent by amassing the 10 points that we all thought on Saturday morning we would have at this stage.

So as I said I should be happy.

The back 5 apart from the West Ham game have been reasonably solid, or have they? We benefited from 2 massive calls by the officials. Arsenal and Bournemouth both having legitimate goals chalked out incorrectly. Well at least in my view. Did those decisions paper over some serious defensive cracks? Of course not.

We have 2 new fullbacks that are both quality players with bright futures. We have Martin Srktel who West Ham apart has been immense. Yes, even Dejan Lovren has improved.

Milner in midfield has been a breath of fresh air and Henderson's injury has really been felt. The interchanging between the two has not really been replicated with the other players.

Lallana looked ok but got his traditional injury, injuries will eventually see him sold. Coutinho has, West Ham apart been majestic, whilst Emre Can has been finding his feet back in the midfield.

The Lucas situation, in my view is a dreadful piece of management by Rodgers. Having banished Lucas he then looks to move him on, then realises he is the best DM at the club and changes his mind. Lucas at Arsenal was quality.

Firmino it's earlier days, just as it is with Benteke. Our big signings need time. Whether the settle is another matter. I am disappointed that Ings has only played 20 odd minutes and that Origi has not featured yet.

The love in, for Joe Gomez has been quite embarrassing, the kid has only played 4 games. He has clear weaknesses s and massive strengths. Yet, he needs time.

The biggest positive in my book has been James Milner and the massive negative has been our manager.

His self promotional press conferences have become sickly. Why does he insist on talking players up and letting people, including the opposition know what he is thinking.

I don't need to be educated by him about his tactics. I can see them every time we take to the pitch. Why tell others? The Lovren talk up was totally unfair to Lovren . He could not win. Good game.......Ah well what do expect........Bad game.....well we have seen the results.

Lovren has been ok this season and doesn't need the added pressure brought on him by the manager.

I think the strangest decision thus far has been to put Lazar Markovic out on loan ??? I honestly don't get that. I know the argument is that we are well stocked with players etc etc...We are not..A couple of injuries and we struggle.

To conclude, I think we have had a decent start, especially with luck on our side, that luck will desert us soon. I am not sure that we that the capability to move forward without us resorting to the say nothing culture, cliche's only, no substance and Sky can kiss my backside.

Let's do our talking on the pitch.

If I hear one more time - he is a wonderful guy who works hard........or ...............He is a good boy/man...then I think I will find the nearest tree with the strongest rope.

Am I talking bollocks or what ?

17. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

Are you threatening to hang Rodgers there?

I can publicly to be seen supporting this kind of behaviour but pm and I might be able to source you some really good strong rope what will be able to support the weight of Rodgers over inflated ego :-)

18. RedCanuck099

You're definitely talking bollocks.

OLDIE likes this.
  19. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Thankfully the international break is soon over and we can resume Liverpool matches.

20. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I'm not really sure where to put this, but I guess here is as good as anywhere.

A fascinating article on the German football revolution of the late 1990s, early-noughties - that saw them go from a country in danger of falling behind due to archaic, parochial infrastucture and institutional apathy to world champions a decade and a bit later.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-team-youth-development-to-world-cup-win-2014

Well worth a read. I think if England are ever to have a chance of competing again for an international tournament, we need to be looking at the sort of grass roots reform Germany underwent.

21. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I picked out a paragraph that illustrates how much effort it takes to build a youth program for elite competition. This is just part of it. That's real work to get everyone on board.

Weise and Schott crisscrossed the whole of Germany for an entire year, looking for suitable locations for their new network. They saw hundreds of clubs in the most remote, provincial spots imaginable. Weise sweet-talked village councils into making their pitches and sports halls available, hired dozens of former professionals to work as coaches, provided equipment and even petrol money to enable parents to drive their children to the centres. Growing up far away from any footballing hot spots should no longer be a bar to enjoying a first-class football education for any German youngster. “Everyone was supposed to have access to a regional centre within 25km of his home. That was the idea,” says Weise.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  22. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

Posted it in the Media Room... Good article.

spizfromoz likes this.
  23. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Sorry mate, didn't think to check there first. Agreed, very interesting stuff.

football.tiger likes this.
  24. Arminius

What I think is most interesting is that the timeline Germany chose in 1996 was simply to be competitive by 2006, and they really did not want to set competitive goals for that first generation of players produced under the new model that took hold in 1998. The basic sense was that the way German football was played had to be fundamentally changed, even if that was not immediately pragmatic. By contrast, the FA almost from the start of their latest initiative set a hard timeline, WC winners in 2022, which inevitably sets up direct expectations of measurable progress in terms of competitive outcomes almost immediately - 2022 was only 9 years away when Dyke announced that target, the Germans just wanted to be able to hold their heads up in 10 years. Considering that I would say English football even now is far more troubled in terms of development than Germany was in 1998, that is just folly.

25. leopoldfrank

leopoldfrank TIA Reserve Team

(Was tempted to open a Euro 2016 thread but saw this one so decided not to bother. Perhaps time we did though?)

Just noticed, former Liverpool youth player, Mikel San Jose, has made the Spain squad for the Euros whilst Javi Martinez has been left out. :shocked: Does anyone know much about how he has progressed? I remember him being a centre-back but I see he is listed as a midfielder. Either way, is he the best youth prospect we have let go in recent times? I don't honestly know much about him but I can't think of anyone else we've let go who has gotten good enough to get into the Spain squad (or other, equal achievement). Also, I'm imagining him leaving was partly down to him wanting to return home (but have no proof).

Regardless, those Basque only teams need all the players they can get, we'll let them have this one...

On the Spain squad. Some interesting omissions but I am supposing that after the recent failed experiment with changing their style with Costa was a dramatic failure that they're deliberately keeping it mostly La Liga and players that fit the style to make their team more cohesive.

Full squad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36312769

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  26. Zoran

Germany's 27:

[​IMG]

27. Zoran

Portugal's 23:

[​IMG]

28. RedCanuck099

Mods, can we get a Euro 2016 sub forum up?:-)

29. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

You forgot the magic word, please!

30. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

You talk about climate clash, but Asia have to deal with it all the time. Last year, we played Kyrkistan in November in freezing snow then had to play in the humidity and heat of Bangladesh 4 days later. I remember a few years back Japan played at home in snow, then had to front up a few days late in the Middle East. SO I am sorry but varying climates excuse doesn't wash with me.