Ireland v Wales- World Cup Qualifier-24/03/2017

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Maria, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Anyone watching the match tonight?

This is a tough one, can't predict this result. I really like both teams, very hard to choose who to root for.

Having said that, I really like Martin O'Neil, due to his time at Celtic and he is so lively on the touchline. I would have loved him to manage Liverpool after Rafa left.

Looking forward to see our Liverpool players and our former players tonight.

2. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

I would doubt that Ward, Wilson and Woodburn would see much action tonight, even as subs in. Joe Allen for sure though and a very recent ex-Red.

It seems more like Stoke vs Stoke though (some or even many of the players etc). I'm not watching this game and no disrespect to either team intended here. A coin-toss for the match outcome maybe. I would maybe watch, but it's almost guaranteed to be maybe 2nd tier level stuff. Lots of effort and commitment etc, but just not a lot of quality probably on-show, bar possibly Bale. Not much on tonight though ...Kosovo-Iceland or Spain-Israel amongst the main dishes here.

3. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I always like to watch our closest neighbours and those cpuntrieshistorically associated with British teams.

RaoulDuke likes this.
  4. El Cuchillero

El Cuchillero Més que un pedantic shit.

Does anyone know where I can stream this on mobile? I've never streamed on mobile before, but I have to go work at half-time.

5. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

You could download either Puffin or else Photon (under either Android/iPhone) just to give flash streams access, then surf to watchsports dot live and then select the main links or else the sub ones. That's it.

El Cuchillero likes this.
  6. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Jesus wept this is a horrible game of football.

7. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Agricultual football at it's worst. Whelan should be having an early bath.

8. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

El Cuchillero likes this.
  9. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Thats a broken leg for Coleman. Horror challenge. The fucking Ref lost that game in the first half letting bad tackles and flying elbows go.

10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@T.C.B , I have been following the match on the radio internet, I heard it was a horrendous challenge, oh no, his leg is broken, poor Coleman. Also, Bale should have been red carded too for his awful challenge on McClean as well.

T.C.B likes this.
  11. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

It was a dreadful challenge, sickening to watch. Coleman will be out for a long time. It was the net result of a Ref who lost control and let bad challenges and flying elbows go. Not defending the Irish in this either because Whelan and Long were both guilty of elbows in the first half.

12. ubermick

Coleman will be out a year after that. Just saw a still image of it, and looks like both tibia and fibula are gone. Every bit as bad as the injury Ramsey had at the hands of Shawcross. At this point, there are likely question marks about his career. Just horrific.

FGred and T.C.B like this.
  13. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Who was the referee, seriously O'Neil needs to complain about the poor refereering. If that incident happened to Bale, there would be a furore. What an idiot (or eejit as they say over there) that Taylor is, he should get a lengthy ban, there is no need for these type of leg breaking challenges in football. I really hope Coleman recovers quickly. There needs to be a prevention of these kind of challenges and stiff penalties.

FGred and Livvy like this.
  14. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

One of the worst leg breaks I've seen. Almost as bad as that time Witsel broke the Anderlecht players' leg.

15. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

Nicola Rizzoli was the Ref I think. Dont know much about him tbh.

16. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Sorry, but I didn't like Chris Coleman's comment saying 'Taylor is not that type of player' defending his player like that. That incident is a career threatening. I hope Seamus gets the best medical care and rehabilitation possible.

Referee should have controlled the game better.

T.C.B and FGred like this.
  17. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

I agree about it being a career ending injury and even if he came back he will never be the same again as a player in terms of confidence.

18. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

When you see people, of which you are one, advocating for a lengthy ban of the player, then it is fair to defend the player's character. The outcome is awful, and this is why these types of challenges need to be drummed out of the game with a no exception approach to officiating. However, what we see time and time again is the outcome judged not the challenge. You did not advocate for a lengthy ban for Yaya after last weeks game despite putting in the exact same challenge.

Maria likes this.
  19. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

What I meant was, I felt it was the wrong time to say it, after such a horrific injury and he should have focused more how on the plight of the injured player. I don't remember mentioning Yaya Toure in my post in that match thread tbh, I can't remember that far back.
    I do agree with you, that the officiating should be conducted better by the referee to try and prevent these type of challenges.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  20. Limiescouse

You dont remember if you called for a lengthy of ban of Yaya? Well, you didnt. Because we never do to any of the 10 or so challenges we see like this in the league every week. We only do when the outcome is terrible, despitye luck being the only differentiating factor between that and the same tackle that sometimes isnt even called a foul.

When something like this happens the player who did it suffers. Do you not remember Shawcross was in floods of tears when he saw how bad Ramsey was hurt. Taylor looked absolutely heartbroken when he left the pitch, and now that is going to be compounded by the inevitable crucifixion he will suffer, something with which you have already got on board. Sure, Coleman suffered worse, but he is going to get automatic support. Not so for Taylor and so it is reasonable, even important, for those around him to stand up for him.

21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Ok, fair enough.

22. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

:shocked:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  23. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

yeah,

probably should have a warning on that image mate...kids and all...

right, im off to swear in the jokes thread, got a ripper about a jewish man a Scotsman and a south African.....

24. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

too true....it is easy to get caught up in the hate.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  25. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

When a referee loses control of a match this sort of thing happens. It was an absolutely dreadful challenge made worse by the horrendous consequences for the player on the receiving end. I'm Welsh but can still take a step back and call it as it was, why wouldn't I? But in the context of the game it was always a possibility due to the way it was controlled by the officials or wasn't as the case may be.

Coleman was wrong to state that Taylor wasn't that type of player - he clearly is - in the heat of the moment, being egged on by one-eyed supporters of both sides and obliging officials sending out all of the wrong signals over what is acceptable for the 90 minutes. And there are a hell of a lot of other players who are just as prone to getting caught up in the moment and overstepping the mark by some distance.

The idea that officials should make allowances for circumstances or the occasion is a complete and utter nonsense. I don't care whether its the first second or the last or whether its the World Cup Final or a local Sunday league match, referees need to take full responsibility and protect every player's welfare during the game by setting out what will and won't be tolerated to both sides before the first kick of the match and then enforcing that throughout the match.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  26. ubermick

Yer man above me speaks sense. Taylor's tackle wasn't the only one, Bale went flying in on John O'Shea, and that challenge was far worse. Took a chunk out of O'Shea's leg, and it could quite easily have been far worse than what happened to Coleman. Meanwhile Glenn Whelan (I think) fairly blatantly elbowed Joe Pirlo in the throat right at the end of the first half.

The ref let FAR too much go, and it was compounded by the fact that it was two teams from the British Isles, and therefore the notion of sticking the boot in is not only condoned it was almost encouraged. Blood and thunder and all that.

And for the record, I fucking can't stand the "he's not that sort of player" bollocks. The majority of pros are that sort of player, certainly any who are involved in the defensive side of the ball. Just because their last ditch tackle hasn't destroyed a leg up to that point doesn't make flying into challenges somehow a safe and cuddly thing.

27. Limiescouse

But yet it's an unfortunately necessary position to take because of people who respond to the outcome and assign malice to the challenge, just as you have. To say the majority of pros are that sort of player is absurd. I know only the amount you could count on one hand who would ever go into a challenge with the hope of the other player not getting up (maybe it would be more if I were older). It was a bad tackle in a scrappy game that the ref did a bad job of, but it was not outside the realm of what else was happening in that game or what we see on a weekly basis in the league. It just so happened that the outcome was worse, but that is only luck that any other comparable challenge does not do the same. Yes, the ref needs to do better, but so do we as fans. Too often we see one of our players put in a challenge like this and defend it. We see a player sent off for a challenge that left the other player totally unscratched and so complain that the game has got soft or the ref ruined a game. Basically, we as fans let these challenges go all the time and only react when luck dictates that one of the players doesn't get up. And then, because we have no middle ground over these challenges, we immediately go to intent, when it is almost never even a remotely fair thing to comment on.

28. Fester

If he's saying what I'm saying then its that a lot of players are capable of being that sort of player in the heat of the battle with one-eyed supporters creating a hostile atmosphere and inept officials turning a blind eye to unacceptable challenges. You see a colleague get elbowed in the face with impunity and suddenly the red mist descends.

That's not to say that a lot of players walk out onto the pitch intending to do these things from the outset but that they are capable of doing these things in the heat of the battle which is very different. If you are denying that this happens then you are denying football reality itself.

This is why it is so important for officials to set the boundaries of acceptability from the outset i.e. before a ball is kicked by walking into each dressing room before kick-off and reminding players of their responsibilities. A player who gets a red card should already be half way to the changing rooms before the referee brandishes the card because he should know what's coming.

I'd like to see sin-binning for yellow cards trialled so that the punishment is immediate and specific to the game that the offence took place in. It would be interesting to see what effect it had on player discipline. It would also make thugs a liability rather than a perceived asset in some quarters.

29. Limiescouse

I don't like the idea of sin bins. Defensive football is too easy and well organized teams should be able to cope for 10 minutes, and so you actually create an incentive for a sin bin type offense to be perpetrated. But that's a different story. My main point regarding this game/challenge is I think the fans in general are bipolar with regards to this stuff. They demand more effort. They demand more aggression. They may even advocate leaving a little something on a challenge on the opposition's best player. They cry when a player is sent off for a challenge that caused no harm...because "he got the ball", or "he didnt mean it", but then as soon as an outcome like this happens as an inevitable consequence of enough of those sort of tackles being made everyone gets self righteous.

30. Fester

I mentioned trialing sin-binning. Nobody knows how it will work until its been tried out. And it doesn't automatically have to be for 10 minutes just because rugby has gone for that time period. They stop the clock in rugby, they don't in football. A sin-binning could be 15 minutes.

Also, as in rugby two yellows should still mean a red. And I would keep the points accumulation system for yellows just as they do for reds. Sin-binning should be an additional deterrent/punishment to what's in place now. It might also stop the 'deliberate' yellows as well as 'spreading around' the yellows that we see now because part of the punishment would be immediate and potentially damaging to the team not just the individual.

Maybe there would have to be two levels of yellow with sin-binnings for offences that don't quite warrant a straight red or there is some doubt in the referee's mind. Or persistent team yellows with a warning to the team captain first as in rugby.

I'm sure if it was thought out carefully it could be very effective.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017