Is Heading Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by mattyhurst, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38979290

Having actually played about with one of the old balls it wouldn't surprise me, it was rock solid after about 5 minutes of kicking across wet grass, don't think there is an issue much more as the game moves on and the development of the balls which is something I've noted in the last few months. Hadn't played for a good 15 years at 11 a side until last year and the way the ball flights but also it's weight is a lot lighter, could do with a bit more weight sometimes ha.

I hope this doesn't turn into a political correctness argument and how modern football is soft, I think there is an issue with older footballers especially defenders.

Scott Jones likes this.
  2. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

It could spread to other sports which have far more impact with the head like rugby league/union,boxing and even diving,I broke my nose heading one of the old balls because I'm shit at heading however it made me better looking.:-)

Is this based on information of modern football's.

3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

It sounds absurd, but the growing body of evidence suggests that the real issues come not from the headline grabbing knock outs, but the repeated smaller impacts, even those of heading a modern football. I suspect for people who play their entire life, the risk is probably very real, but the effect size quiet small.

4. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

The brain is an incredible piece of jelly like material in a relatively thin bone box. Of course repeated blows will cause damage over time.

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

It was a lot worse with the old balls, but I am convinced by the studies that kids should not be working on heading drills even with the modern balls that don't hold moisture.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Lobbing ball doesn't impact as hard as having someone hit the ball full swing directly to your face/head. So heading a cross, long pass from the keeper or clearance doesn't really hurt you as much. Crashing heads together when going for the ball mid air would have more impact than heading the ball. Scientist needs to play the game a bit more, especially this modern football, so much lighter.

7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

In your fully informed medical opinion, you mean?

8. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Yes.... but of course.

9. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

They still hurt.

I was messing about heading everything whilst we were waiting for people to turn up to five a side, doing header keepy up type things. After 5 minutes I had a banging headache.

No matter how much lighter they are than they used to be getting a blow to the head is not healthy.

Not saying we should outlaw heading or anything, but if I was a coach like @Arminius I wouldn't bother with heading practice.

10. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Weird. I could have sworn it was already fairly well established that repeated heading of old-style footballs has resulted in statistically significant instances of things like Alzheimer's etc in old retired footballers? You'd also have to look at boxing, though aside from Ali I don't have enough knowledge of the sport to be able to comment there.

Maria likes this.
  11. Arminius

Heading is banned in US youth play below the age of 10, and allowed in games but not practices from ages 10-13. That more or less matches actual practice in Canadian soccer, although heading is not actually banned - it is still at a recommendation level.

With the high incidence of concussion in both tackle football and hockey, the concern has escalated somewhat more quickly than it has in Europe.

12. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

I can see a time when every player looks like Cech.

13. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Balotelli is a trendsetter here, never heads the ball. Outlawing heading would greatly reduce two threats: cumulative brain damage from a career of heading footballs and clash of head damage. Hard to see it ever happening, especially not before the mayhem that is rugby and American football are altered to reduce concussions.

spizfromoz and Scott Jones like this.
  14. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I read a long time ago that continuous blows to the head were also a problem, eve a football correctly struck has a cumulative impact. I minimised it in training as a result. That was a long time ago when I read that and can't remember the reference.

Be good to hear about a training regime that can support the skill but argue for a minimised impact.

I wonder if hitting the ball badly with the head, say on top or on the side is worse. so getting that forehead right and neck and shoulders behind the ball makes a difference. But then how do you study that? By giving people brain damage?

We could've saved 35M on Andy Carroll in a parallel universe it if was banned.

15. Arminius

Maybe you should have minimized it a little more?

16. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Never heads the ball yet paradoxically is the daftest player in the universe.

WHAT TO BELIEVE?

17. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I'm more Balotelli than Andy Carroll, myself.

18. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Let's not forget this is a player who said last August thereabouts that he felt he could still win the Ballon d'Or. He may well be trying to protect an asset that he believes to be real, even if.....

19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

For sure its an issue, concussions are a realistic threat for ANY contact sport. New balls make a bit of a difference but I agree that it's player contact which is a bigger risk than the ball.

I am proof of that, too. Definitely have had a few concussions in my time from sports. Mostly footy. But was actually KO'd in a ski accident in 89 for 30-40 seconds. No helmets back then