Jürgen Klopp: 2016-17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by El Dorado, Jul 28, 2016.

1. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Jürgen, you're doing a heck of a job. You should have a thread for the new campaign. All the best in the coming season. Please give us thrills, chills and silverware.

2. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Jürgen, show Pep what you can in Premier League!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Can we not have bombardment of his images in here again? Please.....

4. Dortmund fan

I just want to see this kind of photos after the games against Man City and on the end of the season.

I assume Guardiola will be Klopp's hardest competitor similar to their times in Bundesliga.

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

You assume wrong, there are more high calibre coaches and teams in the Premier League compared to Bundesliga where you only need to beat Bayern...

Chewbazza likes this.
  6. Dortmund fan

Ok, Conte, Bilic, Mourinho are good coaches.

But even if Chelsea won against us yesterday I don't think they are as strong as Man City.

Bilic's team will not win PL, I'm sure.

Mourinho's ManU was very poor against Dortmund in the pre-season game. I could not see any improvements in comparison with LVG's team last season.

So, at the moment my opinion is ManCity is stronger than their teams.

7. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Klopp - any more Liverpool signings depend on how players react to my decisions

Reds boss has open mind on new additions but expects further cull of current squad

Jurgen Klopp says the addition of any further new players to his Liverpool squad this summer will depend on how players react on his decisions before the end of the transfer window.

The Reds boss is keeping an open mind on more new arrivals but admitted he expects further departures from his squad before the August 31 cut-off point.

A left-back seems to be the missing part of the jigsaw with the lengthy pursuit of Leicester’s Ben Chilwell now abandoned but Klopp is unsure whether he will make a further move in the market.

“If I had to guess I would say rather no, but I don’t know actually because it’s a long time until the 31st of August and I have no idea,” he told ESPN.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ws/klopp-any-more-liverpool-signings-11674365

8. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

"how players react to my decisions" sounds like he is speaking directly to Sakho.

Unless it's telling Milner he's a FB and not a CM.

Scott Jones likes this.
  9. Dortmund fan

I think he means Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Lucas.

10. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

don't forget Mignolet.

11. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Clearly some people are not reacting the way he would like to his decisions

I could see Lallana, Henderson or Milner leaving before the deadline if they are not in the team

Saying that I dont think those remarks are aimed at thsoe players as they have only just joined up with the squad, clearly Sakho is one of them who it is aimed at

12. Dortmund fan

No, that's not the position for new signings until August 31.
    We have signed 2 new goalkeepers already.

13. Dortmund fan

For three England internationals we can get £ 30-40 m.

14. Genius

Genius The Somewhat Normal One

inaiq likes this.
  15. Dortmund fan

16. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Genius likes this.
  17. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Genius likes this.
  18. Dortmund fan

Barnes - I don't worry who Liverpool sign, I just trust Klopp

John Barnes says he does not worry about who Liverpool sign - because he trusts Jurgen Klopp's judgement in the transfer market. The legendary Reds winger believes Klopp will be able to turn his men into an effective unit and is more concerned about the collective the manager creates rather than the individual signings of this summer.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/track/5757784-barnes-trusts-klopps-transfer-judgement

Scott Jones and norwegian wood like this.
  19. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Liverpool FC boss Klopp preparing to use Milner as defensive cover

Reds may abandon search for new left-back

Jurgen Klopp is prepared to use Liverpool vice-captain James Milner as an emergency full-back this season rather than bringing in defensive cover.

The Reds boss had been looking to sign a new left-back to compete with Spaniard Alberto Moreno.

Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell was his top target but Liverpool were frustrated in their attempts to agree a fee with the Premier League champions.

The Reds recently gave up on their pursuit of the England Under-21s international with Klopp doubting Chilwell’s desire for the move to come off.

The manager is now considering other options but there are no guarantees that he will dip into the transfer market.

Klopp is looking for a long-term option rather than a quick fix and unless he can find the right player he will utilise the talent he already possesses.

The German has spoken to Milner about the possibility of playing full-back when required this season.

It was telling that the 30-year-old midfielder spent time at both right-back and left-back during Wednesday night’s 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in Pasadena.

Milner started at left-back in place of the injured Moreno when Liverpool played Manchester United in the Europa League at Old Trafford last season.

Nathaniel Clyne, who sat out the game at the Rose Bowl with a tight hamstring, is the club’s first choice right-back with Moreno operating on the opposite flank.

Klopp also has cover in the form of youngsters Connor Randall and Trent Alexander-Arnold, as well as Joe Gomez, who is currently ruled out with an Achilles injury.

Fellow full-back Jon Flanagan is expected to go out on loan to get regular game time this season with Andre Wisdom also set to depart before the transfer window shuts.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ws/liverpool-fc-boss-klopp-preparing-11678255

20. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

I really gotta disagree. Rodgers inherited Suarez who is without a doubt (in my mind) a top 3 player. I can't argue the mentality issue as its subjective (but I'd say mentality is the reason we didn't win the season; but thats a different discussion entirely). The players you mention (who I credit Rafa with more than Rodgers) were all aging and the squad needed to be rebuilt at that time, which a lot of posters were not a fan of, but it has been rebuilt (despite being mismanaged) for the most part.

Klopp is not building a winning squad from scratch. He got a very talented striking trio full of potential in Sturridge, Origi and Ings, with Benteke and Balotelli as 4th and 5th choices. He got some very talented playmakers in Firminho and Coutinho. He got some hard working players with experience in Milner, and to a lesser extent Henderson and Lallana. A pair of quality CB in Lovren and Sakho (Lovren was terrible under Rodgers, but the quality was always there), a great RB in Clyne. In addition he got a great academy to work with.

Inherited a squad with a few holes, but its hardly a squad that needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

D'realdeal, noremac and Artrain like this.
  21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I hope it was a needs must rather than an actual purposeful decision.

We can't be doing this by the half, I do wonder if it all depends on sales after all we haven't shifted certain players yet like Benteke.

inaiq likes this.
  22. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I agree with a lot you write here, but the main point I was making isn't addressed: Rodgers inherited some genuine leaders in Carragher, Gerrard and Suarez. Reina and Agger were leaders as well, albeit Reina hadnt the same form than previously. Klopp on the other hand, while having some talent on his hands, hasn't any kind of leader left. Henderson is a player I like a lot, and if he can find full fitness back, he'll be a good captain. But he has no winning experience, not at all. Same applies to all other players, bar Milner who won things with City. All other players are good players who can legitimately hope to win trophies in the future, but haven't done so yet. That was my point. Klopp can't build on some experienced and outstandingly talented players to build his team around them. That's an opportunity Rodgers had, but he didn't make the most of it unfortunately.

So, Klopp will build a team of winners with what he has got, but it's that little bit more difficult for him, especially as he can't attract top class players currently. But I have no doubts myself that he'll succeed given enough time.

23. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

In terms of Klopp's rebuilding, worth noting that three of the players he signed this summer have title-winning experience, Wijnaldum, Mane and Grujic (and the former captained his side that season). It may or may not be coincidental that he's looking for that kind of experience and mentality, but it will surely help.

Heck, he won't play, but Manninger won the title with Arsenal as well.

Edit: Just seen that Klavan won the Eredivisie with AZ as well. So that's four title-winners recruited this summer (or five if you rather generously include Manninger)!

Of those brought in so far, only Matip (who won two cups with Schalke) and Karius (v young still for a keeper) haven't won a league title already in their career.

Not bad going!

24. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Apologies if already posted elsewhere. How can you not love this man?

-----

Jurgen Klopp says the spending power of Liverpool’s Premier League rivals doesn’t bother him as he insisted: “I want to do it differently.”

The Reds have brought in six new signings this summer at a cost of around £65million with Marko Grujic also arriving following the £5.1million move he agreed back in January.

Liverpool have recouped around £40million in sales and their outlay is set to be dwarfed by the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United, who are all working on bumper deals which far exceed the Reds’ most extravagant purchase – the £30million swoop for Southampton’s Sadio Mane.

However, Klopp is adamant he isn’t jealous of the cash being splashed by Pep Guardiola, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho.

“If you bring one player in for £100million or whatever and he gets injured then it all goes through the chimney,” Klopp said.

“The day that this is football, I’m not in a job any more, because the game is about playing together. That is why somebody invented passes so these players can play together. It’s not about running with the ball because you can do it all the time.

'I want to do it differently' says Reds boss

“Building the group is not my unique idea – it is necessary to be successful in football.

“Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players, yes. Do I have to do it differently to that?

“Actually, I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.

“I don’t know exactly how much money we could spend because nobody has told me up to this point ‘no, no, no you can’t do this’. If I spend money it is because I am trying to build a real team.

“You can win championships, you can win titles. But maybe there is a manner in which you want it. It is about how it is.”

United are working on a world record £100million deal for Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, while City will have to break the £50million mark to land Everton defender John Stones.

Chelsea have already spent big on Leicester’s N’Golo Kante and Marseille’s Michy Batshuayi and are now pursuing £40million-rated Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

Klopp’s success at Borussia Dortmund was based on developing world class talent rather than buying it and he’s sticking to that approach at Anfield.

“If you all swim in the same pool, the pool is too small - you all go for the same players,” Klopp said.

“There are a lot of players outside that pool - good players on to the next step in their career. We try to find them.

“The best player of the last season is good to know but it is more interesting trying to find out who will be the best next year.

“If you knew it now that would be a really cool transfer! It would be much cheaper too. That is what we work for.

“It is not about being creative because creative is cool or something. It is about finding the players who can make the next step with us.”

Asked if he would ever do a deal like the Pogba one, Klopp added: “I’m not really interested in things from other clubs. They can do what they want and spend as much as they want.

“I don’t know exactly how much we have spent so far. For five or six players we could have bought one player for the same money but I don’t care.

“I have no influence on what other clubs do so why should I think about it? I am not the moral guardian of the league. I won’t say ‘oh, come on, that’s too much money’.

“We’ve spent a lot of money. It’s all about perspective. I am pretty sure it will stop somewhere.

“(Gonzalo) Higuain! (who went from Napoli to Juventus for £75.3million). Whatever. Where there is money somebody else will take it.

That’s how it is in the football business. It’s not my problem.

“If we are convinced someone is the right player then we think about money. Then we have the price, then we have to ask and work at it.

“Is this something we should do? If we agree then we will do it but only then for the right price.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...lopp-unconcerned-liverpool-fc-rivals-11678401

25. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

I think we can include Manninger as he has been brought in as a coach as much or more than as a player and therefore we can hope that he can be used to help instill the winning mentality in other players, especially in our keepers who are all relatively young.

inaiq and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  26. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Love this - it reminds me of something I read that he said a while back (think it was before he joined us). He said something like 'the trouble we had was that Bayern had a bazooker and we (meaning Dortmund) had a bow and arrow, but Robin Hood was quite successful'. Also read somewhere that Dortmund when he was in charge had a smaller budget than QPR - not sure if that's accurate or not.
    I also love the fact that we have a manager that believes in training and creating great players, not just in grabbing the most expensive and headline catching players around. Someone who believes that the best players can be built and not just bought is truly refreshing. Especially when we've been used to 'give me the tools and I'll do the job'!
    All we can do is hope that he HAS found next season's best players and will continue to do so!

27. Hope in your heart

About the players brought in:

“We know more about them than they can imagine, we had a long trip with scouting so when you go and talk to the player you have already scanned him. The most important thing is how they can play football: talent, skill, potential but then character is very important. Could we gather all the information on the character side? No. I met all of them before we made the transfer and then it is about feeling the person behind the player. We tried to do our best and at this moment we feel quite confident it has worked.

The only chance to come into the team or stay in the team is about performing and doing the job, it doesn’t mean showing your best but showing your best for the team. Sometimes it is the same, your best is best for the team but if you only show your best it cannot be the best for the team.”

“There is a lot of desire and good attitude and the working mentality is good, we decided to push ourselves from the inside so we brought only quality in, we had only quality, kept only quality and gave [away] quality on loan or sold. If we have players who can only be happy when they start every game it will be difficult [but] if there are problems we will find solutions.”

CoolLiverpool, Kanonkop, TFC and 2 others like this.
  28. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

We couldn't attract top class talent then either mate. We dont' need to give Klopp crutches he doesn't need to prove he's better than Rodgers. It was pretty evident from the football on the pitch last season.

Give Klopp the 2012 Gerrard, Agger, Carra and Reina and we'd be very competitive to get back to CL. Give him the 2012 Suarez instead and we'll be challenging for the league title again, and with Klopp we'd probably win it.

The leadership bit, its just incredibly subjective in regards to what that actual means and what it translates to on the pitch. Milner as well as Toure are players he inherited with leadership and winning experience. Sakho won Ligue 1 and captained France at a young age; leadership qualities and experience winning, yet he's now being sent home for not following rules. No one can question the leadership ability of Gerrard/Carragher, both of whom were at the very ends of their careers; but at the same time no one will recognize any leadership qualities or winning experience within our current squad until we win something. The winning mentality of Gerrard, Carra, Agger and Reina were kinda in a pretty big slump until Suarez showed up, because its really down to quality which the rest of the squad (for the most part) lacked, and that matters far more than 'winning experience'. Its not like in signing Karius, Mane and Wijnaldum Klopp went out to grab some players with winning experience...he targeted quality, which is something he inherited in the squad as well. He'll continue to tweak and build on the squad until we win, and then we can say player "X Y and Z" now have leadership qualities with a winning mentality but in all likelihood a few of those players will be players already on the squad.

Werder4life likes this.
  29. Hope in your heart

That's what I'd think as well, hence my point about having genuine quality players in the team. You make good points about the leadership aspect, so I should maybe re-word what I meant: we haven't players of Gerrard's or Suarez' overall quality in the team anymore. That makes it a bit more difficult for Klopp.

But I don't say this to protect him or anything, I reckon he's big enough to do it himself haha! It's just my opinion. :-)

TFC likes this.
  30. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Sorry if I come off a bit rough. When Rodgers was leaving I couldn't figure out if the squad was poor or if he was poor (and I still think he wasn't terrible), but I was convinced it couldn't be both. It became clear pretty quickly to me that the issue was Rodgers and not the squad (for the most part). Rodgers did leave a few huge holes, particularly in LB and GK but I really like the squad otherwise.

I'm really happy to see Klopp making improvements here and there while targeting talented youth rather than just out and out rebuilding. Going into last season I was of the opinion that the season would go as far as Sturridge's health could take us. This year I'm far more optimistic, where if he has a healthy season where he could play as he did in that glorious season we could go very far...but if he picks up a lot of niggles we'll have still have plenty of options with Ings, Firmino, Coutinho, Origi and now the additions of Mane and Wijd. I'm pretty excited...if only we could land a quality LB now. Loaning out Flanaghan who could cover RB and LB is one of the few Klopp decisions I"m questioning.