Joe Allen (CM) Stoke, Swansea

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by i_still_miss_fowler, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Should Liverpool try keep Joe Allen

1. Yes

62.7%
  2. No

37.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

Looks like Joe Allen might be off in the summer, which is a shame because he showed his worth as a good squad player.

On the plus side hopefully opens up the opportunity for someone else.

"I think it has been well-documented that Joe is going to look at his future when he is finished out at Euro 2016," Swansea chairman Jenkins told the Evening Post.

"Naturally, we are interested in good players like Joe who may be available this summer given that he has a year left on his contract.

"Obviously we will keep tabs on his situation and see what happens later in the summer."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.c...tory-29382304-detail/story.html#ixzz4B7pXJoiD

2. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

He will have to check with the new owners before naking any purchases though

Did not rate Joe when he first came to LFC.

But now with Klopps guidance he has become a valuable squad member.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

3. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

The Telegraph are quoting 10 million pounds as Liverpool's asking price. That'd be about right, given that he's entered the final year of his contract. He played his best football under Klopp, perhaps even better than in 2013/14, but ultimately we needed him to show more on the whole, starting with better fitness record.

4. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Swansea is ok, I would let him move.

5. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I've been consistent in my support for Joe and would be happy for him to stay. He's a very clever player, who reads the game well, especially when coming on as a substitute (probably make a great coach some day). I think he has been instrumental in us picking up some of those late in the game points which we might miss out on next season should he leave. However, with more young players expected to come in the summer, it is difficult to see how Joe could get enough game time to remain happy as a back up.

Main downside for me is his propensity for picking up knocks, which coming off the bench should reduce. Probably isnt going to get you a high goal or assist rate either.

If he does leave, then he is likely to bring in a reasonable fee, which even at £10m is an amount that would contribute significantly to the sort of signing fees Jurgen appear's to want to pay for new additions.

6. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He's a very good player but is really only suited to playing in a 3 man midfield, the 4231 formation makes him the odd one out really. Every bit as good as the other midfielders we have but the combination of that plus his injury record will see him go. Brannagan plays in the same spot as Joe too, for the coming season we just don't need that many numbers.

Probably the best sub we've had in a while, very good at reading the game and reacting to what is happening. Would be a shame to see him go to Swansea though, he can do better.

Limiescouse, RobLFC and redfanman like this.
  7. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

He's decent. Good squad option.

The objective though should be to bring in a player who is good enough to relegate one of our starters to a squad option, and move the current squad options along. Joe will be a victim of this.

Kopstar likes this.
  8. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Useful player to have, and came on well under Klopp. I wouldn't let him go unless there's a better option coming in - we're already light in the middle of the park with Henderson's injuries/lack of form, Milner's crapness at playing there, Can's still relatively raw, and the question mark over Lucas.

9. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

From the rumoured targets, i think the reverse is being planned. Jurgen will keep the majority of the current squad together to fight for starting places and most of the targets brought in will be promising youngsters to coach and bring in to the side when ready. Depending on the youngster that could be after 3 months or 18. So, the squad options will be those already at the club who are back up players, or the players coming in.

10. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

Never rated him under Rodgers,but under Klopp the lad has sometimes been a revelation,probably a useful player to have in the squad and I wouldn't be in a hell of a rush to unload him.
    Voted yes,can't believe I did that:J

11. Koon

Koon New Member

He is an okay player, but I would like to see an okay player that is younger and could become an amazing player. So, good bye, my friend.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  12. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

Never really did rated him. Showed flashes of good form here and there, but never seem to have a fixed skill set which he could make use of in our team. For instance, was good at DM for a couple of games before he was out-muscled and out-run once other teams figured him out. Then thrown into more advanced positions under Klopp showed his usefulness there... until we realized that his shooting is as good as Lucas.

Comes across as a nice lad and always seem to give his all on the pitch. Wish him all the best at his next club!

13. Genius

Genius The Somewhat Normal One

No Allen no party

14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Ok if he stays, ok if he goes. He's a decent option to bring on in a match and help secure a result, but I don't think he'd be terribly hard to replace either.

Seems a nice guy, hopefully if he goes it's to somewhere he'll be first-choice.

Kyriakyl, Dave-D, rupzzz and 3 others like this.
  15. rab

rab Well-Known Member

I'd only let him go if we got a proper out and out midfield controller ready to start from game one.

16. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

If he goes I hope adequate preparations are already being made to replace what he brings to the team. #beardwatch

Hopefully Sakho's using his time off to cultivate some impressive facial hair.

redfanman likes this.
  17. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

He did quite a decent job for us last year. Some games he came in as a sub and was excellent, changed the game against Dortmund for example, got us a draw against Arsenal with a majestic goal. I wouldn't be too eager to let him before we get a good upgrade in for him. Dahoud? Sure, let him go. Zielinski? Meh, might as well keep Allen.

18. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I like the guy, and certainly he's not in the Enrique/Skrtel category of his time being up. I would have no issue if he was kept, however, he's not better than Hendo or Can and I don't think he'll be getting much better than he is at this point, so i'd prefer his place 'off the bench' was taken up by a player who can develop and improve.

19. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

The bottom line here is you cant play everyone especially when you going to play 20 games less than last season. When we buy a new CM which we will JA would be 5th choice at best and its why Lucas and Allen have to go if they want to play football that leaves Brannagan and Stewart as 5 and 6 on the pecking order and probably will only get cup games which is also a problem for their development

A real shame for Allen but for his own sake its best he moves on

20. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Sakho with a James Harden beard would make our opponents shit themselves.

21. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

Yes. Want to keep him. Superb 12th man and a nice lad.
    To be honest, Lucas is a nice guy, but I'd rather keep Allen.
    Problem: Joe wants more game time, and with another central midfielder arriving, that doesn't look likely.

22. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Good professional lad, doesn't complain when he's on the bench and makes a good job when coming on. I'd keep him, despite his dodgy fitness record and him being a bit short on the physical side at times.

But if he wants to move in order to play more, or if he knows that there will be strong reinforcements coming in this summer, then I'll wish him nothing but good luck.

23. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Like Allen as a footballer, however, the way he gets knocked off the ball so easily is not what I want to see from a Liverpool midfielder. The main reason why I want to see him upgraded.We need more power and physicality in our midfield.

24. ILLOK

We don't really. Can, Milner and Henderson aren't small or weak. Grujic is about 6'3 as well.

We just need more quality on the ball.

25. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Milner's not massive, 5'9. Not a massive fan of his when played CM, either. Mind you, hardly any of the other CMs we're being linked with - Dahoud, Zielinski etc - are particularly big or powerful either.

26. ILLOK

He's not tall but he's definitely powerful, certainly not somebody you'd class as 'lightweight'.

27. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

He's grown on me as a player, this season in particular. Have always felt he does better coming on in games rather than as a starter when he seems to struggle to impose himself on games. There seems to be a pattern of great substitute performances which leads to a clamor for him to be a starter which in turn leads to a poor performance and a return to the bench.
    He doesn't seem to want to be a sub option and is not good enough to start on a regular basis so I would cash in while he has some value.

28. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

I think it's almost certain that he'll go. What he brings to the team can be found in others, without the fitness/physique issues that hold him back. Can, Hendo and Grujic will be ahead of him, and we're going to bring in at least one.

People sometime say keep/sell as if the player is a passive bystander. Allen in entering his peak years, and I think he'll want to play.

29. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Well Grujic is an upgrade physically,nearly a foot taller than wee Joe,but how much will he play?? Miller's not a cm in my book and there is also a lack of pace and dynamism about our midfield.Hopefully Grujic will hit the ground running but we can't expect much from the lad straight away can we?I just want us to have a dominant midfield.Can is still learning his trade, happy with Hendo when he's playing his best,still think we need another body in there,Allen and Lucas are too lightweight for my liking, Stewart doesn't seem dynamic and Milner needs to be played out wide.Not sure how much Zielinski is going to help.

30. bdee

bdee New Member

I'd rather have Allen than Milner long term

FGred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.