Joe Allen (CM) Stoke, Swansea

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by i_still_miss_fowler, Jun 9, 2016.

?

Should Liverpool try keep Joe Allen

1. Yes

62.7%
  2. No

37.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

If Milner is willing at this stage of his career to be a squad player, then he'll stay. But there's every chance he could captain a club somewhere and play another 4 years. I'm thinking Middlesborough, one of his old clubs.
    It's a long window. I can see him playing irregularly for us and making a big contribution, but I think the club is moving in a different direction from where Milner may be at. LB, sure.

2. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

He hasnt played for Middlesborough. He's been at Newcastle, Leeds and Villa.

3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Sounds like Allen's move to Stoke will be finalised either today or tomorrow at the latest. Good luck to him.

4. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

You're right! Thanks. I was thinking he'd make a good Middlseborough captain. As good as any transfer rumour that one!

redfanman likes this.
  5. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I can't help feeling sad that he is leaving. I truly believed he earned his place inthe team, under Klopp. Surely, Klopp could have found space for him in the squad.

He has had so much grief in the early days by us fans, little did we know, it was the previous manager who coached him badly. I wish there was a way we can get him back somehow later on.

Really sorry Joe for all the grief we gave you. I wish you all the best luck at Stoke and future both at club and internationsl level.
    I will miss you Joe, you were the truly dedicated LFC player for me during your time.
    YNWA.

Just gutted right now!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. Abdel

Abdel Member

i hope it's not a mistake , if we are allowing a second chance for the like of Henderson , Milner or Moreno ,than he should get one too , maybe JK is considering that there is too much MC in the team , and he want to give more time for the like of Barnnagan , Crujic and Ejaria ......

anyway , i feel sad for him and a bit unfair ( as i truly believe that if Hendo wasn't the captain , Kloop would have preferred to get rid of him instead of Joe ) .

Good luck Pirlo and YNWA .

7. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Don't understand the slating of Milner. He may be giving away the balls a lot easily and rash in tackle, but he was first in assist and second in assist+goals.... in his 'first' season here.

8. Abdel

Abdel Member

are you neglecting " the giving away the balls a lot easily and rash in tackle " ?

9. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

Can it really b defined as a first season James Milner has as many games as any veteran in the league. He should bed into any football team. As he done with as last year. He can do better we know he can.
    On Joe Allen it's a pity we did not buffer his contract last year ,13 is obviously better than 10 million, A feeling we Woulda got 20 or thereabouts . Seriously inflated prices paid for a player's the big TV money being thrown around like Monopoly money. The last year of this contract kinda got at us.
    Tbf if we said 13 2 years ago we all would of laughed out loud.

10. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Thanks for everything Joe. Good luck at Stoke.

dxb_red, Maria and Scott Jones like this.
  11. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

The reality is that he needed to move on. We cant keep doing the same thing with the same players and expect us to jump up several notches, some players need to go to facilitate change.

A few people think Allen got some renewed ability under Klopp, but Klopp played him much less than Rodgers did, only starting him in 8 PL games last year, the lowest in his time at Liverpool.

Allen only played a full 90 minutes of Premier League football in 3 games last year, and that was against Newcastle, Bournemouth and Watford, which tells you a bit about his status in the squad.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

At the end of the day he seems like a genuinely lovely, down-to-earth guy, who also happens to be pretty good at football. Unfortunately for him, he isn't exceptional and while it's not a transfer anyone was really crying out for because there are far easier targets in the squad (some of whom are still here **cough** Balotelli **cough**) I think we'll honestly be fine. And, from his perspective, he's going to an upwardly aspirational club who'll he'll be near-enough a regular starter for.

Wish him the best. He never let us down, but at the same time he was never truly outstanding imo. A nice guy to have around but the competition for places is going to fierce and him moving on is probably best for all parties.

dxb_red, Maria and Livvy like this.
  13. AllinOne Sports

AllinOne Sports Member

Milner had 7 goals and 14 assists last season, he is not getting a second chance. And Henderson was far more impactful than Allen prior to this season which was largely a result of an injury. Henderson was one of the most important members of the squad when we almost won the title and in 14/15. Being captain doesn't hurt but his track record is much stronger than Allen's.

14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

So the deal is now done? Well, good luck fella.

Barnestormer and redfanman like this.
  15. He Drinks Sangria

He Drinks Sangria Well-Known Member

He always put in a decent shift for us and I never heard him complain about being a squad member, which is to his great credit. This year we've seen that he's very good at doing a certain job but he's never going to set the world on fire and, up until recently, he's been very good at going missing.

I wish him well for the future, but this isn't a great loss for us. The only slight reservation I have is the price, but I understand why it's as low as it is.

16. Barnestormer

Barnestormer Left wing.

Glad he didnt have to relocate the Chickens.

17. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

All the best, Joe. Keep feeding them chickens, grow that beard, and play ball. Don't ever change.

Peace and love.

18. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

I actually like Welsh Pirlo, sad he must leave. :-(

19. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

With the team Klopp is building it's right he moves on, he doesn't fit into what we need.

Perfectly good player who had many good games for us though. Think a lot of rubbish has and continues to get written about him personally e.g. he doesn't play well when he starts or he only played well for a few months (forgetting his role in 13/14).

Should be a good acquisition for Stoke but I don't think we'll miss him too much. This is what I'm liking about Klopp, he's being ruthless. Cutting out what we don't need if they're not good enough or not required.

kingoftown and redfanman like this.
  20. nevermind

nevermind Do not trust Atoms they make up everything

Seems like a thoroughly decent chap and delighted for him with his upturn in form and the great Euro experience he had with Wales, I wish him all the best this one's for you Joe

21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

i know, his lack of height keeps being mentioned, but Moreno is short and some of the Spanish players are not exactly tall either and were top class in their clubs and national team. I don't feel he should have been given a place. There were others who could have gone instead of Joe.

22. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

If the club wants to progress Allen has to go, if he stays he would not even make the bench now that klopp has signed grujic and wijnaldum, at least we got back a good chunk of what we paid for him, he only started 8 pl games last season and klopp played injured Hendo ahead of him so that tells up everything, some fans think he's brilliant but why are clubs not offering 25-30m for him, good luck Joe.

redfanman likes this.
  23. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Done and dusted according to the official site.Good luck to him,should have been kept as a squad player for another season to see how he faired out under Klopp.

Maria likes this.
  24. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Sorry to see him go, and think he's a player we should have kept. Best of luck to Joe in his Stoke career, and fingers crossed he doesn't go the way of Charlie Adam, aka DoubleChiniesta.

Maria likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.