Joey Barton banned for 18 months by the F.A

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Maria, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ton-banned-football-18-months-betting-burnley

Author: Paul McInnes

Hello Mods,
    Not sure if this topic goes in the media, the Home and Away section or pitchside, please could you move it to the relevent section thanks.

However its discussion as well, about the pressures of footballers and their addictions, whether it be alcoholism, drug abuse and gambling. In this case, it is about Joey Barton's 18 month ban from all footballing activities due to his 10 year gambling addiction, effectively ending his football career.
    Also, aren't Betting companies adverts on all our stadia pitches billboards and are part of the sponsorship deals, with their logos on various football club shirts including LFC?

Why does the F.A not address Football's dependence on Gambling industry?

Can Football use other sponsorships and avoid using Gambling companies all together?

Any thoughts ladies and gents?

I feel it is a little harsh on Joey Barton tbh. I felt he was made an harsh example of because of his past reputation. The F.A are hardly the bastions of honest football themselves with some of the strange and unethical decisions they have made in the past.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  2. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

This is about avoiding corruption and protecting the integrity of the game rather than betting companies as commercial partners.

His breaches were numerous and he knew the rules. Certainly raises issues surrounding addiction and the support available though.

Having said that I don't think the sanction is wildly excessive.

geebo likes this.
  3. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I am curious what the rules were at the time of the offences. Nonetheless, he knew what he was doing was wrong and against the rules when he was doing it. Sports gambling in the US is huge, although not as visible as in the UK, but athletes know that the consequences of anything but the most trivial offence is a lifetime ban.

Barton also has presented his position in a very self-serving manner, when he says he only bet on his team when he had no involvement and could not affect the game. Any one participating in training or game preparation could concievably affect the result with their actions - such as starting a fight in training, which he actually has done in multiple instances, including one as I recall prior to a game in which he knew he was not going to be playing.

4. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

As someone who has had a drinking problem in my twenties i think we as a society don't take these things seriously,my experience is with any addiction it is taken with a view that it's self inflicted so has little sympathy in general,i was guilty of this myself until my addiction kicked in and it went out of control very quickly and nearly ruined my life,help is out there but the addict has to find it and not really pushed into it for their own and societies good,most addictions are of things that are legal and the suppliers of these products take no responsibility or very little because the takings are good,it costs tax payers too much money to clean up the mess after sellers of booze,tobacco,gambling and fatty unhealthy foods,point is we blame the addict rather than the seller of ruined lives,the addict is only partly to blame imho.

5. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@Scott Jones
    So sorry hear you had a tough experience early on in your life. I also feel that the addict is partly to blame. Gambling advertisements are everywhere, tv, billboards, radio, sporting venues, betting shops on every corner in the neighbourhood. It can ruin people's lives as much as alcoholism and drug addiction (be it for social use or for pain relief of medical conditions)

Apparently gambling amongst footballers is a huge and maybe hidden problem and Joey Barton is shedding some light into this. I agree he was wrong and he knows broke the rules and he should not have done it and should get some form of fine or something. People say it is simple the rules are rules (John Cross of The Mirror), but when it becomes an 'addiction' it becomes different, almost like an illness.
    Joey did report his misdemeanours to the F A and did not attempt to hide but, I felt he needed some help try and help and overcome his 'out of control' gambling addiction. If it was a less controversial footballer, I am sure he would have got a lesser ban.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    inaiq and Scott Jones like this.
  6. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

I haven't looked into today's finding by the FA but wasn't it the SFA who found out about his previous betting and that the FA knew nothing about it.

7. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

I apologise for not adding to the excellent discussion here, I just anted to say

haaaaa haaaaaa haaaa haha haaaa haaa !!!!!

Thats for Joey Barton ... sorry...

Totally agree !. Its ironic that they say we should legalise drugs like heroin and cocaine, arguing that it would make them cleaner, that we would get tax money to use to help addicts- but you have to wonder when we already have addictions to alcohol, cigarettes, gambling etc and they are legal and yet none (or very little) tax money gets used to help the problem. Or in other words, they all cause more problems than they solve, and damaged society, but if they make a profit.... (not my view !!!)
    Even sugar or fatty foods. I recently ready that when the decision was made to cut fats out of out diet in the 80s 90s- that was when everyone got fatter !!! because they we just left with sugar, and carbs. But even when its not clear about out basic diet, its clear that sugary drinks, and chocolate bars, sweets dont help at all.

The economic system we have today is all about freedom of choice, and yet takes no responsibility for the well being of the individual. It pute the blame of choice on the individual, and yet, when you are bombed everyday on TV at tea time with adverts for chocolate ! The advertising industry bombard us with ads for shite, and we re expected to think logically? Its up to society to REGULATE companies and advertising to protect individuals. Instead it is all about making a fast buck !

SBYM, Maria, inaiq and 1 other person like this.
  8. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

This is what I took from this debacle - the FA once again have failed entirely. It's become such a joke of an organisation.

On the wider issue, gambling and the integrity of the sport are vital, however I see what Barton was getting at with his point about gambling being integral for for the sport, and therefore it's constantly in the players faces. If someone has a true addiction, that must be very hard to overcome, especially with disposable income levels are so high!

9. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't have gambled - though obviously it's better not to and if you have an addiction then to seek help - but if he literally couldn't stop himself there are plenty of other sports to bet on. The main issue seems to be that he bet on football matches, some of which he could have influenced (either by being on the pitch, or injuring someone in training) or known about through contacts in the game. I think he bet on himself to score first at one time, wouldn't be surprised if that had affected his performance in that match.

Kopstar and rupzzz like this.
  10. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

The thing is that nobody is telling Barton that he cannot gamble or place a bet he's just not allowed to bet on football related matters (which made up the minority of his gambling anyway).

The FA are also reliant on whistle blowing or direct reports from betting companies in terms of a player's betting activity (the SFA only became aware because a betting company brought it to their attention which then led to the discovery of Barton's betting history which was then brought to the attention of the FA).

---------

18 months may get reduced to 12 on appeal but it's not massively excessive and the fact it might effectively bring about his early retirement should be irrelevant.

rupzzz likes this.
  11. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I 100 percent agree - gambling in matches he could influence was silly, although he did say he only gambled where he couldnt influence (i.e. gambling against Burnley when not selected out of anger).

12. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Which is absolute nonsense. He was part of the Burnley set up, he would have had many different ways of influencing the outcome - even if he did not actually do so, the avenue was there.

redfanman likes this.
  13. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

Nonsense indeed - he's full of shit.

So everyone is clear, I'm not defending him. Just think he made a valid point about gambling in sport. Early retirement doesn't suit me...means he's more likely to end up on MoTD or BT Sport or some other sports show.

14. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Huge, HUGE, issues in Oz with gambling and sport...see much of the same here. It's the holier-than-thou attitude of the leagues that piss me off.

Kids having live odds blasted in their faces on tv coverage and at the grounds. Ex-footballers who fought long battles with depression flogging betting companies but it's all good coz right at the end they say, 'Don't forget to gamble responsibly.' AFL in bed with the lot of 'em. Clubs running thousands of poker machines that fleece low-income areas.

Makes me sick. And I'm no wowser. Used to punt, have won (and lost) far more than I'd like to admit.

People will gamble, but the methods used to suck them in are just not on.

15. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Bingo.

geebo and ILLOK like this.
  16. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

[​IMG]

"Damn Free Agent's killed the game"