Jonas Hector (LB) Cologne

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Dortmund fan, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Any thoughts on the player, DF?

3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Any credible source you could share with us on this move?

4. Dortmund fan

That's more realistical that a Götze transfer.

Jürgen only needs to call Hector. ;-)

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Realistic to you does not mean reliable source... just lumped all Germans into the equation.

6. Dortmund fan

Well, I believe the national manager knows more about his talent. :-)

National team coach Jogi Low has been impressed with Hector’s progress over the past couple of seasons and he has now been capped 10 times.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...verpool-fc-german-international-left-11096277

[​IMG]

He is left back and could play together with Matip in a defence in my opinion.

7. Dortmund fan

His interview with Eurosport is a reliable source.

He clearly said that he would "start to think" if Klopp will contact him.

You should to know for a german it's a very clear statement because usually he should be dilplomatic, he can not say in words "I want to move to Liverpool" if he has a contract with Cologne.

8. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

What kind of LB is he, by that I mean better defensively than going forward ala Clyne but on the left or is his attack abilities better than his defending ala Moreno.

Don't know anything about him but you don't get 10 caps for Germany if your not a good player and the Liverpool squad is screaming out for a genuine LB for put pressure on Morenos place in the starting eleven

9. Urban Achiever

Urban Achiever Well-Known Member

Seen him just a couple of times and he is really good IMO.
    What strikes me most is that he's almost just as much a midfielder. Sounds weird I know, but he can switch into playing (almost) CM at times...? Good going forward and very solid defending.

Having him, Moreno, Flanno, Clyne and Smith would be good, I think.

He's calm and cool but looks a bit akward at times.... kindda like Muller playing LB:-)

Dave-D likes this.
  10. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Or Sakho at centre back...

11. Urban Achiever

Urban Achiever Well-Known Member

If we could get that level at LB we'd be sorted...

Never Say Never likes this.
  12. Werder4life

Werder4life Well-Known Member

Hectoris a calm , intelligent player. Solid defensively and/or attacking. Decent crosses. Good linkup and passing ability. Not the finished product yet , but at a very advanced stage. Will very likely feature at LB for the Euros , where we will get to see how he does under the pressure of international expectations.
    He did vaguely mention interest in joining LFC , but could have just been polite.
    Would be a good addition at LB for LFC.
    But I get the feeling , that all that talk about German players or such from the BL is just the fotm hype of press and fans right now. All a bit short sighted.
    People seem to try to turn (dream up) LFC into BVB.
    Reus , Götze, Gündogan, Hummels... seriously?

All very good players, who all got famous in 2013 when BVB really peaked. No reason whatsoever to think that all or any of them would effectively work out in a different league in different teams as good as well.
    Götze dropped dramaticly in confidence and quality at Bayern for example.

But got a bit off topic here =P

13. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

What worries me about Hector is that he is 6'1, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but I am anxious as to how he would cope with the pace and agile wingers in the premier league. Could anybody shed some light on how he deals with agility and pace?

14. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Other than Hector allegedly saying that he would listen IF Klopp called, I don't believe there are any credible sources suggesting we are trying to sign him. Yet!

15. Dortmund fan

Actually I'm not sure we need a new LB.

We have Moreno, Flannagan, Clyne, Smith...

16. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Moreno is first choice and has been a liability. Getting in a better player would be wise.

Sandeep, Vic_Vinegar and soberphobia like this.
  17. soberphobia

soberphobia Active Member

Well given that Flannagan and Clyne are right backs and that Smith is a kid who has barely played a game and Moreno has looked incredibly shaky in an already shaky defence would lead me to conclude that signing a good LB that can actually defend would be somewhat of a priority.

18. Dortmund fan

Really?

In my opinion the defence was not too bad this season (ok, maybe in the last game it was poor).

I think our problem is the midfield. Then the strikers. And then the keeper.

19. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

A few days before his "if Klopp called" remarks, Bild was linking him with him with us, but then which German player hasn't Bild linked to us. Last time I looked, Bild wasn't considered to be a reliable enough source to justify starting a thread.

20. Dortmund fan

Who is Jonas Hector?
    Liverpool target profiled ahead of potential summer move to Anfield

The German international has spent less than two years playing in the Bundesliga but has emerged as his country's likely left-back for this summer's Euros

Background

One of the intriguing things about Germany's ascent at international level in recent years has been the absence of genuine full-backs at Jogi Low's disposal.

Phillip Lahm captained them to the 2014 World Cup but was often used in midfield (until later in the competition), while Schalke centre-back Benedikt Howedes played throughout at left-back. Yet ahead of Euro 2016, Koln defender Hector may have offered a solution.

Now 25, Saarbrucken-born full-back is something of a late developer. At 19, he was still playing for SV Auersmacher, a regional team then in the fifth tier of German football.

And at 24, as Germany were emerging victorious in Brazil two years ago, he still had yet to make his Bundesliga debut, having been stuck in Koln’s second-string and then in Bundesliga II with The Billy Goats’ senior side.

In the ensuing 18 months however, the powerful left-back has made 10 appearances for his country, having originally been called up by Low after just 11 top-flight matches.

Since then, he has gone from strength-to-strength with Koln, featuring in 55 of 57 Bundesliga matches since their promotion. His stamina and lack of injury problems are just another reason why Low is such a fan.

However, this would mean nothing without quality, something Hector has both defensively and in attack.

Playing style

Hector has proven his worth at Koln, playing in a formation geared towards counter-attacking and hitting opponents on the break. Peter Hoger’s men like to keep thing tight and Hector's stature - standing 6'1 - is a big help when it comes to defending set-pieces.

Few modern full-backs are defensively as sound on crosses coming from the opposite flank, and he's strong in one vs one situations with opposing wingers also. Additionally, Hector has the handy ability of being able to break swiftly from defence and get himself into advanced positions, either with or without the ball.

Offensively, he may not be David Alaba, but he's an effective option on the overlap and works well in combination play, playing one-twos to work the half-yard needed to whip over a cross, or simply to retain possession.

Germany boss Low has asked questions of his ability to play when stationed higher up the field however, rather than advancing into the final third from deeper.

Die Mannschaft’s domination of possession means their fullbacks push high, something Low has queried as to whether Hector is truly comfortable: "We have full-backs who are trained in their clubs but defensively. Jonas Hector makes good plays in Cologne but rather in a defensive, basic order, which is a bit geared towards the counterattack.”

Nevertheless, Low is likely to utilise Hector as his starting left-back in France this summer - Hector played more matches for Die Mannschaft than anyone else in 2015.

In recent weeks at club level, Koln have utilised Hector in a central midfield position as Peter Stoger looks to keep his side in the hunt for Europe, looking for Hector's organisational skills and calmness on the ball to have a greater impact on the side from a central position.

Contract issues

Hector has a deal at the RheinEnergie Stadion that runs until 2018.

There is no buyout clause in his contract, but it's believed Koln would look for a fee of around £12million.

An improvement on Alberto Moreno?

The Spaniard arrived at Anfield with a reputation for being raw defensively - but with scope to improve - and an attacking threat down the left.

While he’s proven the latter with his pace, he’s been found wanting time and again defensively since his arrival. For all the thrust he offers, does that make up for his deficiencies, and the defensive naivety which he simply seems unable to shirk.

Hector may not be as dynamic, but he’s a far safer pair of hands defensively, his delivery is far less erratic and he’ll fit well into Jurgen Klopp’s way of playing.

What they say about him

"Because of his game intelligence Jonas is a player who has mastered all the positions on which it comes to organisation, playmaking and order” - Koln boss Peter Stoger.

"Jonas Hector's position with us is left-back. I know he played in midfield for Cologne, but that is not going to happen with us" - Germany boss Jogi Low.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/who-jonas-hector-liverpool-target-7627434

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    RedMasangwi and norwegian wood like this.
  21. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Moreno is relatively poor defensively, as can be seen by the frequency of attacks that target his flank....It's not just teams trying to pin him back to stop our attacks.

He often gets caught out positionally and has to rely on his pace to get back in time...which leads him to making the sort of tackles he can get sent off for....so when he loses his cool he is a complete liability.

Its true though that our midfield often doesn't provide him with the sort of protection that he needs (for example in the cup final recently the guys on the Anfield Wrap were highlighting that Milner and Henderson were both covering for Clyne when he went forward, but in contrast Milner was walking back when Moreno needed covering and the latter was having to bomb passed him to get back.)

Secondly, you may remember earlier this season when we were regularly conceding from set pieces, teams would target Moreno and Clyne due to their lack of height/aerial ability....Hector appears to remedy that. So even if you believe he can improve positionally, there is an argument to be made that by replacing him, with someone like Hector, you are upgrading the defensive unit in a way that Moreno is unlikely to be able to improve.

schmee, Livvy, LaurazRed and 2 others like this.
  22. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

First, there are just very few good left-backs in the world.

If you rate a left-back, you have to take into consideration that there are far less world-class players on this position than on others.

Jonas Hector is a good player, but not an outstanding one. He would be a very good counterpart to Moreno, because he is very good in defending and can be a very reliable part of a back four line. He is also contributing to the attacking play, being quite decent in crossing, passing and assisting. He doesn't score often, but once in a while.
    He is a very reliable defender, means good positioning, good covering of spaces, a hard worker, and also able to win an aerial duel.

But he is not a world-class player, even if he is part of the German national team, what is mainly due to our general lack of good full backs, especially after Phillip Lahm retired in 2014 (even if he is a right back).
    Being aged 25, he might be able to improve when playing for a top side, because until now he played for Cologne in 2. Bundesliga and 1. Bundesliga, where they are usually positioned in midfield or fighting relegation. Caps for Germany are his only experiences on a top level, but he has done good so far. He was better than Emre Can, who was tried as a full back, but it was definitely not Emre's best position, so it is a bit unfair to compare him to Hector.
    While Hector, already being a good player for Cologne already, might be able to improve when playing for LFC, I doubt he will ever become a so called world-class player, which kind many here demand.

Even if he can cross and score, he will still be one who carries the piano, a reliable worker for the team.
    Like Lahm, Clyne or Flano. He will never be as good as Lahm, but at the moment he is bettter than Flano and could be a challenger for Clyne, too. Moreno would have to improve significantly especially defensively to not lose his place to him.

Edit: As I have understood so far, he has no release clause, even if there are controversial reports. His price tag depends on how much competition especially from England we would face and could be somwhere between €15m and €20m.
    Until now, I am not sure Klopp really wants him, but there are very few alternatives on the market, and while Guerreiro (Lorient) seems to be similar to Moreno, Chilwell is a player LFC scouted already before Klopp came. They seem to really want him, but I am not sure if Klopp has so much trust in a kid without senior level experience, that he wouldn't be looking for alternatives. Regarding the current market situation, Hector seems like the most obvious choice.
    Alternatives might be Jetro Willems (PSV), Abdul Rahman Baba (Chelsea) and Wendell (Leverkusen). Baba was a good Bundesliga player, but his move to Chelsea didn't do him so much good. They paid €25m last summer, so he won't be cheap. Wendell, with Real Madrid and others interested, will probably cost more than €30m. Jetro Willems recently impressed in the Champions League.
    (I didn't list players like Rodriguez, Gaya or even Alba, Marcelo or Alaba, because we obviously have no chance signing them and especially Rodriguez is not performing well this season.)
    Another guy we have been linked with is Schalke left back Sead Kolasinac, he found himself on the bench quite often in the last months, even if his concurrents are not very strong, so I would advise LFC not to go for him. He is physically robust, but definitely not good enough for us and according to Horst Heldt (Schalke boss) won't be cheap.

And now a question to you guys: As I know some players well, I lack a lot of knowledge about other potential candidates. What do you guys think (or know) about the following left backs:
    Andrew Robertson (22, Hull City, Championship), a Scottish International;
    Arthur Masuaku (22, Piraeus, former French International on Youth level);
    Jonny Castro (22, Celta Vigo, Spanish U21-International);
    Terence Kongolo (22, Feyenoord, an International for the Netherlands);
    Douglas Santos (22, Clube Atlético Mineiro, a Brazilian International);
    Djibril Sidibé (23, LOSC Lille, former U21-International for France);
    Pape Souaré (25, Crystal Palace, an International for the Senegal).

Note: The contracts of Robertson and Jetro Willems expire in 2017.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  23. Zinedine Biscan

I wouldn't say that it was the expectation of most people that we sign a world-class LB. As you've observed, it's not like they are growing on trees currently. I would think most people would be more than happy if we secured someone who is pretty much a left-sided Clyne.

backwardsnation, redfanman and Dave-D like this.
  24. Zinedine Biscan

Random thought semi-related to the discussion. If West Ham really are keen on taking Benteke, maybe we should insist on cash + Cresswell (who I believe is an LFC supporter)?

redfanman likes this.
  25. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

You are right, I just wanted to point out that if we sign Hector, we shouldn't expect wonders of him, but he might fit to the Scouser mentality with his style of play.
    An interesting fact about Hector is that he was playing on amateur level (like Vardy) for quite long, and then suddenly made his breakthrough quite late for Cologne in second Bundesliga. He kept working and is now part of the German National team, what is quite a sensational story.

26. Werder4life

Werder4life Well-Known Member

Even if Flanno and Clyne can play LB, it makes a lot of sense to get another left footed LB into the squad. FB is a quite exhausting position to play and to have 3 fullbacks to rotate on each flank will be important since klopp wants to challenge all competitions in future.
    A bonus would be that Hector can provide cover for DM too.
    Moreno and Clyne started almost every match throughout the season and both subsequently looked spent lately.

Brock34 likes this.
  27. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Hector starts this evening's friendly against England, so we can have a look at him facing Lallana or Welbeck tonight.

28. Dortmund fan

Wow, it's interesting to watch Lallana vs. Hector.

hugo the horrible likes this.
  29. hugo the horrible

hugo the horrible Ridiculously optimistic.

How did it go,that matchup?

30. LFCSandgrounder

LFCSandgrounder Member

Lallana did well early on with some good runs, skills and pressing but with no real end product before going quiet when the Germans were on top and being substituted during the second half. I watched Hector pretty closely given the recent links and apart from one poor piece of control that gave the ball away he looked pretty solid first half but Vardy did well on that side in the second half comeback as all the German defence seemed to struggle.
    When going forward (particularly in the first half) I noticed Hector tended to put crosses in with a very low trajectory, looking to pull the ball back to an attacking midfielder rather than whipping an aerial cross in, tended to be fairly accurate with his passing and seemed good positionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.