Jonas Hector (LB) Cologne

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Dortmund fan, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Jonas Hector: the unusual left-back who has filled a Philipp Lahm-shaped hole

The Cologne left-back is the kind of player who should not really exist any more and the only German international in France who has never seen a youth academy from the inside

A look at the numbers for the German national team at the end of last year revealed a curious statistic: 754 minutes. That was the number of minutes the player who had spent the most time on the pitch in 2015 had arrived at. The number in itself wasn’t that remarkable, but the name behind it certainly was a surprise. Most pundits would probably have guessed Mesut Özil or Manuel Neuer, maybe Toni Kroos or Thomas Müller. But the player in question, the only member of the side who saw action in all nine games in 2015, was Jonas Hector.

Jonas who?

The Cologne left back is one of the more notable figures in Joachim Löw’s squad, not least because he is the kind of player who by rights should not even exist anymore. Hector is the only current German international who has never seen a youth academy from the inside, playing for SV Auersmacher in the fifth division until he was 20. He debuted in the second division at age 22 and in the Bundesliga in 2014, the same year he first played for the national side with just 10 Bundesliga matches under his belt. Jonas Hector is sort of a German version of Jamie Vardy – minus the electronic tag, that is.

Hector’s story goes something like this: you can take the boy out of the village, but you can’t take the village out of the boy. In conversation, Hector is polite and soft-spoken, his biggest ambition, it seems, is not to be fussed over.

He hails from Auersmacher, a town of 2800 souls in Saarland near the French border. While his talent did not elude the scouts and he did play for several regional selections in Saarland, he declined to move to 1. FC Saarbrücken, the biggest club in the region, to join their youth academy. “I was happy at Auersmacher and I wanted to continue playing with my friends,” he said later. It almost sounds like he’d rather play in the backwoods than with Germany at the Euro. “Back then I didn’t even dream of one day playing in the Bundesliga.”

He had to turn 20 before he finally ventured beyond his hometown. In the summer of 2010 he joined Cologne to play for their reserve team in the fourth division. Cologne had been hoping to complete the transfer in January, but Jonas was reluctant to walk out on his friends mid-season.

At Köln he started out as a playmaker, before he settled into a more defensive role in central midfield. Two years later he debuted for the first team – as a left back, the position he now occupies in the national side. Philipp Lahm’s retirement from the national team left a big void at left-back and some people claim that Hector is a fixture on the strength of there being no other options. Christofer Clemens, however, an analyst for Löw’s staff, says about Hector: “He gets the game.” High praise indeed coming from the national team.

The staff may not say it openly, but they love Hector. Not because he is the best player in the world but because he is so incredibly reliable. A player who always stays within himself and remains eager to learn and to improve. “I’ve never met a guy like him before, not as a player and nor as a coach” says Peter Stöger, his coach at Cologne, where they adore him, too, because he is so utterly unfazed by the glamorous side of professional football.

When not playing football Hector studies business to take his mind off the game. “It’s good to have that distraction sometimes.” He’s also one of the few players who is not active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of the social media. “I prefer things to be a little more low-key. I’m not really interested in showcasing myself as a public figure on the internet. It’s not my thing”, he says. What there is to showcase would not be all that glamorous anyway. Asked what indulgence he allows himself today all he can think of is “a bigger TV”, and, after some pondering, “a bigger bed.”

“I’m just trying to live the same life I lived in Auersmacher. I try to save my money and not fritter it away”, he says. His friends from Auersmacher are still his friends today – as well as his fans. They usually drive the 300 km to Cologne to watch Hector’s home games and also make the trip to many away games as long as the schedule of SV Auersmacher permits it. There will be no scheduling conflict this summer. When the Euro begins in France, they will be there.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/05/jonas-hector-germany-unusual-left-back-philipp-lahm

[​IMG]

2. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

Nice article, but bad research about Lahm. Lahm was a right-back, not a left-back.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

yeah, but didn't he play left back towards the end of his career?

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Welcome to British journalism 101. :-)

redfanman likes this.
  5. redfanman

I really cant see this being the case. If we had truly wanted to sign him, he would have been done straightaway.

6. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Lahm played as many if not more games at left back than right back for Germany

Dortmund fan and redfanman like this.
  7. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

That famous goal he scored was from left back!

Start of the euros or wc, whichever it was.

8. Rattlesnake888

Lahm as a left back in UEFA team of the year 2006 2008 2012

World Cup Dream Team 2006 2010 as a left back

Dortmund fan and redfanman like this.
  9. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Lahm played nearly in every defence position, I wonder why you don't know about that.

Libero likes this.
  10. SoftGerman

That's right, but that was in 2006. When he made his breakthough for Stuttgart back in 2003 (I think) he alsoplayed as a LB. But I am quite sure that he played as a right back continously for many years in a row now and the he would say that it his position. So Hector is not his direct successor, because Lahm played RB exclusively in the last four or five years on club level. His last game as a LB for the national team was 2012.
    So I see your point, but he was a right back (or a DM) in the years before Hector made his breakthough for the national team.

ILLOK likes this.
  11. SoftGerman

You post a lot of stuff which isn't accurate here, but thanks anyway. As I said, I know he played there earlier, but Hector wasn't his successor and filled the "Lahm gap", as he wonly played as a RB the years before and also made more games in his career as a right back, while most of his LB games on club level and also for the national team were before 2010, so more than six years ago.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  12. Rattlesnake888

Do you remember posting this??

13. SoftGerman

No, I was drunk, and now I am totally sober again. German beer, it's quite special.
    Of course I remember it. And I know it was not totally accurate, but it is indeed so that Hector did not replace Lahm, as Lahm was only playing right back at least the two years before his retirement. And Hector plays exclusively as a LB.
    So I did not think properly in that moment, I should have done that, as I actually knew that Lahm often played LB some years ago, but I also did not expect that so many people here cared so much.That was wrong of me, in that moment I just thought about the games for Bayern and Germany in the last years, where he played RB or DM, and totally ignored the years before that, what is a bit embarrassing, but about this article the time directly before Hector started is most important.
    The article states that Hector filled the Lahm gap, that's not accurate, because Lahm played RB and DM before he retired. Saying he is not a left back at all was wrong of me, as I do and should know better.

14. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

I actually thought the article was quite a well written and accurate portrayal, as far as I can tell, pretty much sums up the guy and what I've been hearing and seeing over the years here in Cologne.
    The better he's at the Euros the harder it will be to get him. Not sure if the fact, that Klopp hasn't signed him yet necessarily means that he's not interested, as FC Köln know that he's in a much bigger spotlight now, which could drive up the price tag and they didn't want to make a deal before.
    But still - I was very optimistic about that transfer, seemed an obvious choice and a perfect fit - but it's getting less and less realistic.

Dortmund fan likes this.
  15. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Thread closed as this is a no-go anyway. If fresh and serious rumours appear again after the Euro, it will be re-opened. For the time being, it's just nonsense to keep talking about this player.

redfanman likes this.
  16. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Well, since it seems plain as the nose on your face that we need a new left back, the rumours of this guy are picking up pace once more. So will reopen.

redfanman likes this.
  17. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Hope this happens, looks a decent player with a great character. He's just what we need, someone steady and reliable, Klavanesque.

Artrain likes this.
  18. redfanman

But is that the description of fullbacks Jurgen usually employs?

19. SirBillShankly

Don't know about his full backs at Mainz and Dortmund but read somewhere that he likes attacking fullbacks.Hector is attacking aswell as steady and reliable so I think he may well fit the bill, he will be a serious upgrade on Moreno and that is really what matters isn't it?

20. redfanman

Depends on what part we're upgrading. If we are looking for one who breaks at pace, and makes runs into the opponents box, and Hector does that too, then yes. If he doesn't, but defends better, then I'm not so sure.

21. SirBillShankly

Mate,my mother would make less errors than Moreno, okay, he'd beat her for pace but she wouldn't cost us so many goals.

Artrain and treboeth like this.
  22. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, maybe i missed something, but are there actually any new rumours regarding Hector?

23. redfanman

I don't think Moreno does cost that many goals. But my point is Does Jurgen rate the attacking element more than the defensive part of a fullbacks game, and does Hector meet the criteria for that attacking part?

Moreno won't be replaced solely on his defensive frailties, but only if what he brings attacking wise is also matched.

24. lfc.eddie

You of course wouldn't if you aren't playing.... I too didn't cost the team any goal at all last season. :well done:

redfanman likes this.
  25. bdee

bdee New Member

Do we have to sell Benteke to afford this guy?

26. lfc.eddie

It depends on who you believe.....

redfanman, Alright Now and inaiq like this.
  27. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

In the past Klopp converted a striker into a fullback, so maybe this could be an answer to your first question and Klopp also believe in "collective team defending" so if someone is "out of position" an other player HAS to do the job in this moment.

Werder4life and inaiq like this.
  28. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Are you sure?? ;-)lol

29. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Or Benteka or Mario will be converted to LB..lol

I'll get my coat now as my Uber is waiting...

Artrain likes this.
  30. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

If they had the pace and the stamina to sprint up and down a whole game through, maybe he would think about it ;-)

inaiq likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.