Jordon Ibe (RW/LW) Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

I'll be sorry to see Ibe go. One of the lads I hoped Klopp would be able to develop so it's disappointing that he doesn't think he can. A year ago we were consoling ourselves that Sterling was no great loss because we had Ibe who had the potential to become even better. Now he's going too. Hope we have better luck with Sheyi Ojo.

1dragon and inaiq like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

I really wish you'd give it a rest with this TC crap.

The transfer committee issues were brought about by our last manager who was purely a self-serving man who refused to ever accept any portion of blame and was determined to put others in the firing line.

They cannot be too many clubs in the world where transfers aren't discussed by a number of people within the club before deciding on them or not.

You, however, seem to rabbit on about the TC in discussions about any numbers of issues. I very much doubt Klopp will be giving players longer contracts based on any of our scouts. I highly doubt Rodgers did either.

inaiq, CymruRed, RobLFC and 3 others like this.
  3. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

4. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

The transer committee issues would never have arisen if we hadn't made so many crap signings over these last few years. Aspas, Illori, Markovic, Moreno, Alberto just to name a few. More importantly (but less noticed) are the players they DIDN'T sign, which left Klopp which such a limited squad in the first place (no pace, no width, no height).

This is an issue that hasn't been magically resolved by firing Rodgers. I think it's great we have some kind of structure in place to improve the way we do signing, many other clubs also have this, the problem is our lads don't seem very good at their jobs. What's more, so far this summer seems to be looking like 'more of the same', despite Rodgers being gone. Karius is a good capture, probably mainly inspired by Klopp and his contacts with Mainz (he did manage there for 7 years after all). Mane (which I'm quite happy we got, although I do have a lingering feeling there are better options) is a extremely obvious and dare I say it lazy solution for the winger problem. Apart from that we seem to be standing still, waiting for clubs to bow down to our valuation. We're monitoring the hell out of Dahoud, Chilwel and Zielinski. That will teach them!

I'm worried because if you'd have to point towards the most important reason of our fall from grace since 2008/2009, it has to be transfers. This problem pre-dated the arrival of Rodgers, persisted during his reign and we've yet to see conclusive evidence it has been solved. The transfer committee is a major part of the transfer setup and as long as we continue to struggle on this front, they will and should be questioned.

Red Armada likes this.
  5. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

If this is true, he's doing a Borini. He sees himself as above playing for a 'smaller' club like Bournemouth, we'll miss out on £15million, Ibe will spend this season on the bench here (because no bigger clubs will pay that for him) and he'll end up going somewhere like Bournemouth any way next summer for probably a third of the amount.

inaiq and darkvoid like this.
  6. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Yup. I think you got it in one, although I think it may be that boring Bournemouth might not be an exciting enough place for him.
    The article does say that WBA and Newcastle are interested, but you can be sure he won't be interested in them. Just wait until a London PL club (Palace / W. Ham) makes an offer, for less than Bournemouth are offering, and all of sudden it'll be "Where do I sign?"

inaiq, darkvoid and redfanman like this.
  7. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

I'm pretty sure that was down to Brendan though? At this point I'm not sure there wasn't a problem apart from Brendan looking for someone to blame, as per usual.

redfanman likes this.
  8. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

TBH I hated Rodgers as our manager but I can't blame him exclusively for all the sh*te transfers. 2 days before we signed Balotelli he said he can categorically state that we're not signing him and then he signs.I don't blame that signing on him but there are many that I do.

inaiq and MikeOscar like this.
  9. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

That would be a fair conclusion if you think Alberto, Aspas, Illori and Moreno were good buys and that Balotelli was a good replacement for Suarez...:-)

Not that Rodgers was much better mind you. Typical case of the blind leading the blind. But I don't there have been many (any?) cases where the committee came up with an awesome signing only for it to be rejected by Rodgers.

10. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Purely on price, Aspas was a good gamble. Just not for a starting striker, mind. Balotelli another one that could have been and could not.

Moreno, I dispute. He has all the raw talent in the world, just needs to actually apply better judgment. Not much different from Marcelo or Dani Alves in "defending" for me. Needs to do better in attack, I concede, but it's ridiculous how many people are jumping on his back given that he's barely 24.

Ilori, I still think has the tools to be a top-class defender, but obviously something's stopped his progress, and that would be a lot of injuries, and not being able to get a game after recovery.

11. Celtic Dragon

Well he is a London lad, maybe he just wants to go home. Maybe he feels if he has to leave, then London is the only place he wants to go to. He'll end up at Charlton or Millwall you watch lol

inaiq likes this.
  12. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Aspas was incredibly light-weight, never suited to the league. Illori got dismissed by Klopp almost as fast as Rodgers dismissed him. Maybe he's just a bit shit?

Disagree on Moreno. I think he has pace and a good recovery tackle, little else. Possess neither an attacking nor defending instinct, liability in both boxes. He's still a bit young, but at 24 now I doubt we'll see the quantum leap required in order for him to be a good defender for us. Even should that happen, it does not erase two years of being very poor at left back.

Balotelli is actually the most interesting to discuss though. It's not just the fact Balotelli has a horrible attitude and is not very good, it's the fact the committee put the manager in a position at the end of the transfer window that the replacement for Suarez, one of the best three players in the entire world, let alone the premier league, was to be either a lazy and completely unsuited to the system Balotelli or a decripit old Eto'o. That's all they could come up with, a team of people paid exclusively to scour the globe for the best available talent for our team. Sorry, but don't pin that one on Rodgers. He should never have been put in a position which forced him to take such a gamble.

Which neatly ties me to the worry of the present and our transfer window so far. We obviously need reinforcement in midfield and left back. Yet we have few targets with enough ability to make an instant impact. The progress on the targets we do have seems incredibly slow to none existent, despite Klopp repeatedly expressing the wish to have his team together by the start of pre-season, now 9 days past. If business continues on as it's going now, will he be forced to gamble that Moreno will come good? Forced to gamble that Brannagan can actually offer us something in midfield this season because his main targets are not bought? Forced to gamble Markovic isn't as bad as he's looked these past two years? No need to panic at this stage, but I'm slowly getting worried on how this window is shaping up.

13. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

It's up to him, but maybe someone needs to explain that he's going to be a lot better off working with Eddie Howe, than waiting to be squad filler somewhere else.

inaiq, Libero and redfanman like this.
  14. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Someone should also point out to him that Jurgen Klopp has just signed a new 6 year contract if he still harbours dreams of getting in the LFC team ahead of Mane, Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana

15. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

He's not with Aidy Ward anymore, is he? His agent will be able to talk some sense into him if he has a good one. No shame going to Bournemouth if he can play more and perform well under a good coach. If he is waiting for the likes of West Ham to come in for him, he can just forget about it.

16. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Was he ever with Ward? I remember when Sterling was agitating for a move, he signed his new contract, saying that his parents were his agents or something to that effect?

17. redalways

redalways TIA Regular

Perhaps he was, but so was Luis Garcia among others. Very good hindsight there, even if Aspas cost us <£10m.

Ilori was, when he joined, one of the most highly-rated centre backs around. He then encountered a couple of injuries, as well as being loaned out a couple of times to good reviews. I do not deny that his development has stalled, but to say he should never have been signed is again mere hindsight.

But more importantly, who's to say that the manager wants that much more reinforcement? You say we "obviously need reinforcement", but I don't think so. We already have Henderson, Allen, Can, Milner, and Grujic as players who would be obvious first-team contenders at the moment. We also have Flanagan, Moreno, and Smith as left back options. Perhaps what we need is more time for the team to be playing under the manager so that they can actually develop, instead of panic-buying.

RobLFC likes this.
  18. Celtic Dragon

redfanman and redalways like this.
  19. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Eddie might be thinking of Jerome Sinclair... he's another Ward client.

darkvoid likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Uh... Mane? It was pretty well discussed in his transfer thread that we wanted him from Red Bull before BR pulled the plug and he went to Saints.

Dele Alli is another one.

Dave-D likes this.
  21. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

And Sturridge, before Rodgers finally relented.

22. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Fair point on Mane.

Alli is the exact opposite though. Rodgers wanted him, was pushing for him but the committee didn't see him as value for money. Just furthers my point both Rodgers and the committee have made serious errors in the past.

Good to point out this article was written a couple of weeks after Rodgers was sacked, so the chance this is merely a pr exercise and blame shifting is diminished.

Entirely different source, six months later:
    These same people still play a major role in our transfer business.

23. Zinedine Biscan

Fair enough on Alli, I shall expunge that example from my mental litany of BR's failings ;-)

MikeOscar likes this.
  24. Persona

Persona Member

Waiting out on other offers is probably the best thing for the young man. There's still a lot of time left in the window and if another, better opportunity presents itself then he should jump on it, although seeing him at Bournemouth would be exciting.

If anyone can get the potential out of Ibe it's Eddie Howe.

inaiq likes this.
  25. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Ah yes.... All them young wingers. Confuse the shit out of me.

26. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Don't. Allies agent has confirmed it was Brendan's fault. It was their camp that broke off talks because Brendan didn't provide enough on how they would develop the player. It wasn't about money. Club made an opening offer and were going to raisr it. He didn't even tell Stevie G the player was coming to Mel wood.

27. redfanman

I've addressed the Alli issue in a separate post.

Our quickest players have been committee signings. Brendan doesn't appear to worry about pace. His first season he wanted Dempsey who isn't the quickest.

Secondly Brendan's targets to replace Suarez were Bony and Bent eke to which he stubbornly held out for until he was finally left with Balotelli and Eto'o as only options as club refused to pay price for Bony.

Committee have made errors. But to suggest they are equally culpable is in my opinion at least, mistaken.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  28. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Would be nice to see a source on what you said about Ali's agent, can't find quotes from him anywhere.

We were never seriously linked with Bent. Bony, while not ideal, is a good player and certainly far better for us than Balotelli. I'm certain we'd have gotten more points the next season had we gotten Bony over Balotelli.

Not interested in establishing if the errors have been 60/40 in Bredan's favour or closer to 45/55 towards the committee. It's a highly subjective discussion which gets us nowhere. It's clear both Brendan and the committee have made serious mistakes in the past. One is now (rightfully) gone, the other is still here.

My concern is what happens going forward. If they learn from their mistakes, clean up their act and improve then fine. Last summer wasn't as littered with mistakes as the one before. So far this summer I think the players we have bought are decent (Matip and Grujic) to good (Karius and Mane) buys. But we're still light on quality and time is ticking. Every day wasted means one less day for Klopp to work with these lads. Have we turned a corner on transfers or is it a case of 'the more things change, the more they remain the same'? Time will tell.

29. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

I think he said that a few weeks before we signed Balotelli. It would be even more damning that two days before we sign Balotelli, Rodgers had no clue we were going to sign him

inaiq likes this.
  30. redfanman

I'm on a phone right now and will find the links when I get home tonight. There were a bunch of interviews prior to our matches with Spurs this season.

Bent. I said Benteke but my phone inserted a gap. ( Bent was due to happen under Kenny but Villa backed out after the furore when the story leaked).

Bony may have been better than Balotelli but virtually everyone else was too and I'm not convinced he was the right player to splash the sort of money asked for. Lacazette was available and his agent had talks with us but again wasn't given assurances of how he would feature here so chose to stay at Lyon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.