Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Liverpool target Julian Brandt has opened the door to a summer exit from Bayer Leverkusen – and believes Bundesliga youngsters can “find their feet” by moving abroad.

The 20-year-old winger is high on Jurgen Klopp’s shopping list as the Reds boss looks to bolster his options next season.

Brandt has been scouted regularly this season by Liverpool, who are willing to test Leverkusen’s resolve when the transfer market reopens by making a move for the £20million-rated attacker.

And the Germany under-21 international was coy when asked about his future plans as he spoke about how compatriots Julian Draxler and Leroy Sane have impressed since moving to Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City respectively.

“You can take the step (abroad), but I don’t think you have to,” said Brandt. “Those that back themselves to do it have nothing in their way.

“I don’t think it’s a bad thing to try and find your feet abroad. Julian (Draxler) and Leroy (Sane) are the best examples of that right now. They are both young players and have huge futures ahead of them.”

On his own future, Brandt added: “It’s tough to say. I’m happy here and what happens next, we will see.”

The Leverkusen attacker was speaking in a wide-ranging interview with Deutsche Welle , during which he also addressed the ongoing headlines regarding his future.

“I take it as recognition,” he said. “To feed my own ego would be the wrong thing to do.

“I think the allure of being world famous is normal. It would be a lie to say it wasn’t alluring, but where and when you never know.

“Football moves so quickly, and as quickly as things develop positively, they can also go south and see you slip into a place where you’re forgotten.”

2. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Imo this rumour is probably the most likely from the BL.
    Hope this will happen, I think he would fit very well into our team and Klopp's style. Good player - and I have heard good things about him as a person as well (dare I say "outstanding character"?). He already came across as very mature even when he started in the BL at 17 (!).

3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Really hope we get this guy. Like what I've seen of him and at just 20 there's plenty of room for him to improve further.

redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  4. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Yep.I can see this fella joining our Redmen. Would sort our left side out, looks a real class act from what I've seen if him and a potentially great signing. I reckon we will sign this lad.

5. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Very impressive player and would be a much needed boost to our team,quality.:-)

6. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Not seen too much of him live, mostly on YouTube, but I still think he's somewhere in between Coutinho and Mane in terms of pace and goalscoring/creating abilities. When Coutinho isn't on form, it's like playing with ten players, it's been like that ever since he signed. In addition to easing the pain of not having any pace in attack when Mane is out, anyone who can solve this Coutinho problem would be most welcome here.

Artrain and boston red like this.
  7. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

"When" we sign this guy I'll be happy as it will fix the left wing position and he'll be the first decent left footed winger since the always injured Harry Kewell.

8. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Coutinho back in the box to box role if we can pick up another wide forward. Brandt looks classy and skillful. All for this one.

9. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

His stats last season were off the charts for offensive output. Also over 6 foot which is a bonus.

10. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

11. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

One for the future. Would likely help addressing our problems of squad depth when other creative players are out. Not those of lacking consistency though, as he's also one who needs to develop for several years (with the usual highs and lows) before eventually hitting his peak.

Maybe there is a chance for us to get him. It will depend on how savvy the new guys in charge of transfers are. Good test for them.

Maria and Kopstar like this.
  12. Zinedine Biscan

13. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

He's capable of playing on both sides. Maybe we're looking at him to compete with Mane, but then also slot in on the left in certain games or periods of these games when we can put Coutinho as a left sided #8. But still, it's been said we might even go for two wingers (depends, Ox's been mentioned, maybe we're looking at solving two backup positions with one player like him), we'll see.

14. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

The problem with getting 2 backup players (like Brandt and Pulisic) is that it leads to less playing time for Ojo, Wilson and Woodburn. 1 player who can play both sides at a very decent level would be ideal. But from transfermarkt i remember that Brandt plays on the left predominantly.
    Alternatively Ojo may not even make it here. This complete season has been a very poor one for him due to injuries. So it all depends on how much Ojo and Wilson are in Klopp's plans - even though they have time on their side, the players we are trying to buy are of similar age. It would be a completely different story if we are getting 2 finished products at an age of 28/29.

15. Zinedine Biscan

I honestly don't think you can afford to turn down a talent like Brandt on the gamble that Ojo or Wilson have what it takes to play first-team football week-in, week-out. We made that assumption with Ibe when Sterling went. If they're good enough, they will get chances regardless, Klopp will make certain of that.

16. The Elusive 19th

I agree - but my point was on issues related to getting 2 wide players. Not about getting 1 player, which is a must imo.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  17. Cologne-Liverpool

I doubt he would be bought as a back up mainly or an investment for the future primarily. Don't be fooled by the boyish baby face or his age. I think he would challenge for a position as a (semi-)regular starter/substitution.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  18. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yep, we are nearly guaranteed European football next season.. There will be lots of games. I see him as a direct competitor to Coutinho, who will potentially drift further back.

19. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Aye, decisions like that aren't made on gambles, or a wait and see approach. They are made because you have decided, with certainty, that said kid is good enough and ready now. None of our kids are at that level yet, but after the sub this weekend maybe Woodburn could play himself into that sort of standing over the next couple of months (as can Gomez).

redfanman likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Not sure it will happen in the time left available this season. Woodburn would be doing well to get another half-dozen subs' appearances under his belt, while Gomez appears a way down the pecking order, and it's much rarer to see defensive subs in games. We'll have to wait and see though.

21. Limiescouse

Sure. The fact I only said "maybe" about the one who seems closest is an indication of how much developmental work there still is to do.

redfanman likes this.
  22. The Elusive 19th

Gomez or Grujic?

23. Limiescouse

I'd consider those two both as players we already brought in from outside to take a role in the first team squad.

redfanman likes this.
  24. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

25. ubermick

I'd rather have that kid at Melwood instead of Pulisic, to be honest.

26. ubermick

Well, by all accounts he has a release clause in his contract of between £10m and £17m (depending on the source). So I think in terms of getting him, it's all about convincing the lad that a move to Liverpool would be a good thing, rather than trying to get Leverkusen to sell.

27. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

I thought the reports said that clause was in effect from summer 2018?

redfanman likes this.
  28. Cologne-Liverpool

I think that's correct, but some say that that might also mean Leverkusen will try to sell him this summer, so the clause won't get activated. And, supposedly, they don't want to sell him to a BL club. This would still mean paying more than those numbers of course.

Zinedine Biscan and redfanman like this.
  29. gr_sounder

gr_sounder The Lurking One

I am probably in agreement with you. Both are quality players with promising futures. Brandt is 2.5 years older than Pulisic (amazing to say that about someone who won't turn 21 for a month and a half) and that might be the difference maker to me. I suspect that Pulisic will have a year of growing pains at some point, and I'd rather he get that out of his way before making a move here. Brandt already has played 87 matches for Leverkusen so really is a more settled type of player (Pulisic has played 29 matches for Dortmund).

30. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I really don't know, they're both great kids that have experience so young, which is obviously useful. I wouldn't put it past us to try and sign both.