Julian Brandt (AM) Bayer Leverkusen

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Especially if there are any plans to move Coutinho deeper into challenging for the attacking CM role. Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Lallana competing for two starting roles with Grujic and Ejaria as back ups. Mane, Brandt and Pulusic competing for the two wider positions with Wilson and Ojo as the back ups maybe?

Scott Jones likes this.
  2. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I dont think Dortmund have any intentions of selling Pulisic, and i cant see any reason the player would want to leave. It's more likely the older players will be moved on first.

3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Yeah. And even if he (Pulisic) were to move, you're probably talking absolutely silly numbers in terms of the fee. Those being thrown around for Brandt, meanwhile, sound a lot more reasonable, which when combined with the player being older, more experienced and more of a physical presence (6'1 vs 5'8 for Pulisic) it all starts to look like a bit of a no-brainer.

4. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

I
    I still think Coutinho will be gone this or next summer. I don't want him to, but unfortunately the lure of pastures new and silverware are more or less guaranteed elsewhere at the moment. And he may perceive that to be a better option.

5. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Was just using him as an example of a second target but wouldn't surprise me either if he arrived.

redfanman likes this.
  6. redfanman

Why? He gets regular first team football here, something he was never guarenteed elsewhere. He doesnt seem unhappy in anyway. His contract was sorted very quickly. He hasnt shown the consistency to probably earn a move to a big club, and we wont sell without him wanting to leave and getting a big fee in return.

7. redfanman

SportsBild apparently saying Bayern are in talks with Brandt over a move in 2018.

If we dont get Brandt, i wonder who our next target will be?

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  8. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

He supposedly did say no to them before, but...this doesn't sound good...Damnit...Really wanted to see this happen...Pesky Bayern...

redfanman likes this.
  9. Zinedine Biscan

SportsBild are notoriously unreliable, though, aren't they?

10. Cologne-Liverpool

Unfortunately they also get it right occasionally...

11. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

This is more a forum thing than a Klopp thing. It is something we might see on occasion once we have more attacking options at the club, but I dont expect to see it as a primary approach. It's worth remembering that the times he has played in "midfield" has been more of a "playing him out of position" than his current relatively free form attacking role, which is also the one that he has been playing for Brazil.

Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.
  12. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Well, it should be no surprise if Bayern are lurking top Bundesliga talent with Ribery and Robben all having a bit more than a year left on their current deals, doubts over Coman who is not playing as much and "only" having Costa as a winger in his best age... it's a fight to get even these players, hoping they are interested in our project over here and what comes with it.

redbj and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  13. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I'd like to see him there. He seem to be a player with mentality and attitude that is able to play with discipline in the midfield. It sure needs coaching, as with Gini, am sure Phil can do it and it would be great for us to have a highly skilled and creative midfielder that plays deeper.

Scott Jones likes this.
  14. Cologne-Liverpool

Exactly. From Bayern's point of view it makes total sense, especially for that kind of money - I was hoping Klopp/LFC could get him by making him believe in the development and that he would still have a better chance than at Bayern...Well at least nobody can say we aren't looking at the right category/class of players...

Scott Jones likes this.
  15. redfanman

Not just playing for Brazil in that role, but Klopp apparently discussing it with the Brazil Manager and recommending, which would be an odd thing to do, if he was planning on moving him into the centre.

16. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

That's very good. :-) It still needs convincing the lad though as you said, and that's where we will see whether the new guys are better than Ayre. Klopp could have an impact on this, but at the end of the day, there are more... convincing means than just a big lad asking 'Do you like heavy metal football'?

The club needs to use every possible trick to lure good players to the club, and this one is potentially good by all accounts. He's a good test for them.

redfanman likes this.
  17. Mark Thurgood

Mark Thurgood is tired of this "new member" tag

It generally takes a stupid fee and ridiculously higher wages to lure someone away, regardless of happiness people always will move on, I'm not meaning to sound pessimistic or a cynic, I just think loyalty means nothing nowadays.

18. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Well since Carlo Angelotti the younger players like Coman, Sanchez and even Kimmich (who is reportedly unhappy meanwhile) are rarely getting minutes. Imo Brandt and his father ( his manager) are surely aware of that. They will have to decide what's the best for his developement and i read in Brandt's latest interview that he would have no problem to say no to Bayern for second time. Only tactic? Maybe, but he sounds like a totally "normal guy" , no "media posting stuff", (he said he dont like posting,a 20 year old without facebook sounds strange btw) ;-)

19. Zinedine Biscan

From his interview Brandt sounds very mature and level-headed for his age. I'm sure that uppermost in his mind will be moving to a club that offers him the best chance of progressing. Hopefully we can convince him that's us, and perhaps recent examples like Shaqiri and Gotze will count against Bayern.

redfanman and Cologne-Liverpool like this.
  20. Cologne-Liverpool

Yes, that's what I thought as well, he seemed like the kind of guy who would take the right step for his development instead of taking the risk of being benched most of the time at Bayern. But it is true that in 2018 a lot of the star Bayern players on his position will either not be there anymore or definitely need to be challenged by a then 21/22 yr old. If Bayern succeeded in convincing him, that he's a big part of their plans for the future unfortunately LFC's chances aren't that good imo. He gets CL and titles pretty much guarenteed, same country/culture/language, less games and a nice winter break and if you're a Bayern player your position in the German team is almost certain, also the Munich glamour factor...Seems like very few German players can say no to that...
    (Btw - if that rumour turns out to be true, the biggest loser in this is Leverkusen, I'm sure they are absolutely fuming...)

Livvy and redfanman like this.
  21. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Good chance to scout him today versus the Athletico Madrid organization and talent

22. Limiescouse

Sorry, I'm "scouting" Mbape instead.

redfanman likes this.
  23. Zinedine Biscan

It's the quotation marks that make that look so sinister...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Limiescouse and redfanman like this.
  24. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

You made the right choice. Atletico defend like a gang of bastards. Brandt has had about two touches so far.

Limiescouse and redfanman like this.
  25. Limiescouse

My Avid Merrion neck brace and underpants combo doesnt help

26. Cologne-Liverpool

This Bayern 2018 transfer thing is getting more and more legs in German media:. Robben and Ribery's contract running out then, competition for Thomas Müller... Tbh from Brandt's point of view it might make sense as well - another year at Leverkusen to develop, then go to Bayern, who are talking about their strategy for the future being more (homegrown) talents and explicitely not going for the 100m established star player route.
    Leverkusen I guess would obviously be more than happy to sell him now, before that happens, but it'll be a tough sell for LFC against a prospect like that.

redfanman likes this.
  27. redfanman

This was something i always thought was a risk, with like you say Robben and Ribery winding down and Bayern targeting young German talent again like Sule last summer.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  28. Cologne-Liverpool

Yes, he seemed a good and realistic target as he ticks all the boxes as a player for Klopp and LFC, with Leverkusen likely wanting to sell now and him (reportedly) thinking about a move, not ruling out a foreign league either...
    But as always, if one of the big guns like Bayern step in and really commit, it's going to be hard...Him being so proud of having said no to Bayern before sounded good, but maybe his father and him just thought it was too early for him - 2018 might be the right moment in their mind.
    I don't know, maybe there's still a chance - otherwise onto the next;-)

MarcusBerglund and redfanman like this.
  29. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

That is really unfortunate. I am so giddy at the idea of getting Brandt it'd be a crushing blow. Let's hope Leverkusen prefers to sell Brandt to a team outside of the Bundesliga rather than within and we can swoop in for him. Yea, i like that idea :-)

30. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

We have some form for this, after nabbing Can from under their noses.