La Liga 2014/15

Discussion in 'European Football' started by DeathOrGlory, Jul 16, 2014.

1. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Discussion of Suarez's bites, in a different country now!

Also, talk about La Liga football.

2. Joe90

Joe90 A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours

Cruyff reckons Barca aint the same anymore. Says the pep era over. Reckons teamwork out the door with messi suarez neymar up front. Interesting to see if he is right.

3. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

It's going to be like Barca of old, with the team ran completely by flair players up front.

Used to be Ronaldinho, Henry, Messi, before that Rivaldo, etc.

Iniesta, Xavi, all getting pretty old now as well. Maybe a lot less faith put in the experienced Spanish players like Pique, Busquets as a result of the Spanish national sides' efforts in Brazil?

Interesting times.

Can't really see Atletico doing what they did last season, again, though.

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well the Barcelona way of playing did not seem to be that effective last world cup. It is about time they start to change their style and concept. Cruyff mentioned the Germans adopted the playing style, but that is just not true. The Germans actually play a style that stretches the pitch to the wings and cut in from there. Barcelona style is to thread ball through eye of a needle, intricate, well timed through passes. The Germans uses a lot of wing play.

It has to evolve, and with Suarez, Neymar and Messi, the defence in La Liga will have a problem containing them 3. Who to mark? Each of them can take on at least 2 players. If they add another goal scoring midfielder, I don't think they can be stopped this coming season.

5. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

They have added a goalscoring midfielder in Rakitic.

Barca do not need to change their style they just need to play better. Simple as that. With their transfer ban next Summer I expect alot of transfer activity from them this year and hopefully they sign some centre backs.

Their front six of Busquets Rakitic Iniesta--- Messi Neymar Suarez is at least as good as anything in World football.

Barca have dominated La Liga in recent years and I make them favourites for the title again

6. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

What Cruyff was talking about was team work over individualism. Barca became the all conquering force under Pep due to team spirit, identity and hard graft together. Everybody worked as one for the good of the team. That's what he was talking about with Germany not actual tactics and formations. Be interesting to see if they get it back this season but with three players who can indulge in individualism in Messi, Neymar and Suarez it may be difficult.

7. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Ok, time to look at prospects for this league... Here is Thiago:

[​IMG]

So, whose son is this young man? Not very hard, I know, but still... ;-)

8. Rattlesnake888

Forget Messi junior lookyat the mom. Stunning

9. Rattlesnake888

The first El Classico has been scheduled for the 25th or 26th of October. Suarez is banned on October 25th but eligible on the 26th.

Not sure what Champions league games are on but surely they willmplay it on the 26th?

10. Antimanner

Antimanner Member

That is a funny looking kid if i ever saw one.

11. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

12. Suarez7LateralIncisor

Suarez7LateralIncisor TIA Regular

should be an interesting year in la liga. Both Real and Barce have strengthened considerably (more so real). Atletico are coming off the win and still have Cholo Simeone, however lost so many key players such as Costa and Felipe Luis, as well as Villa/Adrian. Atletico have been producing top striker after top striker so manduzic could be a real threat, however it won't likely be easy after replacing their entire attacking line.

I think Real are the preseason favorites. I hope that Atleti can stick around them and Barce though

13. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Neither LFC nor Barcelona were able to participate in the FIFA proceedings, as neither had standing. LFC's recourse was to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport), with a clear line of argument that it was grossly unfair to have his club bear the consequences of a process in which they had no standing, and that the sanction was wildly out of line with previous acts of violent conduct. No prior act not directed at a game official has ever resulted in an 'all football activities' ban.. With Suarez' sale to Barcelona, they became the club able to make that appeal.

Note that the story does not say the ban has been reduced. It says it 'could', which is one of the possible logical outcomes. While it does seem likely (it did while he was our player), I would take the 'CAS source' with a grain of salt. It is a quasi-judicial body that takes it role very seriously, I don't think any one in a decision-making role would make such an irresponsible comment about the outcome of a case that has not been heard, and indeed was only filed yesterday.

The hearing will likely be done some time in mid-August, so Suarez would probably need to see the ban reduced to less than 2 months to be available for the opener.

14. lfc.eddie

Some how I can see it happening, with him now in Barcelona. I don't think Ancelotti would be too happy knowing he is going to go up against Neymar, Messi and Suarez in the Classicos this season. They might just take it all home, we know what Suarez can do with or without Messi and Neymar. Would be following Barcelona this season, for football reasons. If Luis Enrique cannot deliver a single silverware this coming season, he should be shot.

15. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I didn't think that ban was going to stand up regardless of where Suarez played. An 'all football activities' ban is not an uncommon disciplinary measure, but for on-field action it is almost exclusively reserved for violence directed at a game official. Regardless of prior offences, it simply is not comparable to past FIFA precedent. Throw in the lack of representation permitted to an affected party (LFC, then Barcelona), and it just doesn't seem likely that the club side of the ban will hold.

16. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Just seen the Barca playings training in pink, I cannot take them seriously in that colour.

Zoran likes this.
  17. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

18. Redbelly

Redbelly TIA Youth Team

I think Barca will stumble, too many ball hungry players up front. Madrid have the same issue, but they all seem happy to defer to CR. Atletico for second.

19. jhr8

jhr8 Active Member

If Barca stumble it will be because of the defence.
    Montoya, Pique, Vermaelen, Alba isn't a title winning defence. Moving Masch back I to midfield would help but I doubt they'll do that.

Ter Stengen; Montoya, Pique, Vermaelrn, Alba; Mascherano, Rakitic, Iniesta; Neymar, Messi, Suarez.
    That is an amazing team apart from the defence. Rather than buying 2 players past it for high fees in Mathieu and Vermaelen they should have been smart and gone for Hummels or Benatia or even both!

Same can be said for Madrid though, they've ignored the defence so far and are persisting with Pepe and Marcelo.
    Get in a top CB and LB and they would cruise the league.

20. jimmydestiny

jimmydestiny In between the lines

Anyone watching the Super Cup? Jesus some of the tackling is shocking! These guys pull jerseys, slam into tackles and generally do the filthiest of things and it all goes unpunished by the ref. Some of the decisions are bordering on ridiculous.

21. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Judging by the two matches, Madrid would be mad to sell Di Maria. Didn't expect Atletico to be as competitive this year but they still look as good as they did last season.

22. jimmydestiny

jimmydestiny In between the lines

They certainly enjoyed that victory tonight. They play with great aggression (Athletico) but to play at the intensity for more than 2 seasons is extremely difficult.

23. lfc.eddie

Barcelona finding it hard to break Villareal down. Rafinha and Pedro on each flanks did not give Messi much to work with. If they field Suarez and Neymar in those two positions, they will be killing teams off.

24. Pondlife

Pondlife TIA Reserve Team

Well Barcelona found a way through.

Real Madrid been torn apart by Sociedad though after taking a two goal lead are now 2 goals behind...

25. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Loved that by Sociedad, the camera when the goal went in focusing on all there multimillion pound signings absolute poetry

26. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-b_aMpJF0I

27. Pondlife

Pondlife TIA Reserve Team

That's somewhat worrying.

28. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

Van Gaal would finally get to play his favoured 1-1-8 formation. They should bring back Chicharito and Welbeck for depth incase of injuries. Ronaldo would slot perfectly into the central right wing role with Mata right behind him incase he runs into Rooney.

29. Rattlesnake888

Valencia are playing excellent football against Cordoba and have a host of talented young players in their side.The Mestailla has one of the best atmospheres in Europe and it looks like the fans are in for an exciting season

30. lfc.eddie

Suarez first game for Barcelona is the Classico. Wonder if their new man in charge has the balls to put all 3 in at the same time. If he does it would be a fun game to watch. Barcelona going to rip Real apart.