La Liga 2015/16

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Presumably Zidane will be edging closer to getting the sack now. After all, that's what RM do these days when they a) lose to a rival and b) play boring football.

2. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Probably. Lose the next Clasico, and the situation will already start to look unpleasant. Say they finish third in the league, which looks likely; then I guess a good CL run is the only thing that will help him stay in the job. Anything less than a semi final will probably be seen as failure though.

Atletico are quite impressive though. The new crushing machine. Thought they looked very comfortable against Real yesterday. I'm not one to normally pay too much attention to how a team defends collectively, but with Atletico it's impossible to not notice it. And they play some really nice football as well, especially their combinations through the middle third.

By the way, Villareal are quietly having a very good season, which is great to see. 52 points (two behind Real), second best defence in the league, undefeated in the league since the end of November. Twelve or thirteen games, I think. And also made it past Napoli in the Europa League.

3. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

madness to appoint him as anything but a caretaker. No top flight experience as a manager, and he steps into the highest pressure football management job in the world. All they did was damage his growth as a manager, and sour his legend - all to avoid confronting the self-evident problems there.

4. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

TBH, anyone taking the Real job will struggle with that misshapen squad. Team building requires some seriously difficult decisions. That squad was probably put together by polling the fans. It's needed steel to combat Barcelona and Atleti.

@eddie, you know Ronaldo picks the match day team!

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Villareal is closing in on third spot, just 2 points behind Real Madrid. Barcelona is now 8 points ahead of second spot and 12 ahead of Madrid with 12 more games to go. If they keep this pace up, they are in for another title. I sure hope Villareal took the 3rd spot off Real's hands. That be a nice thing to see, and teach them a lesson to listen to their single superstar player rather than collective group of players. They relied too damn much on Ronaldo.

Wyld@Heart likes this.
  6. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Didnt really do that well as their reseve team coach either.

It was an appointment to appease the fans. As regards the players and fans dislike of Rafa, I suspect by the end of the season it will very much prove the saying, "Be careful what you wish for". He could really have built them a team to compete with Barca....but now...they will be even further away.

Anyway, it's good to be able to dislike them again after the brief Rafa hiatus!!!

7. Klopptimism

Klopptimism Banned Users

What choices would they have? Guardiola, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Pellegrini and Klopp all "no" for various reasons.

Pochettino?

8. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

If Perez (RM) picks Rafa ...but then does not allow him to not pick a sane midfield and does not allow him to leave out even one of his Galacticos - then you win some games 6-0 or 8-0 ...but you also lose or else draw a few as well. Just basic team-balance stuff. Zidane is on a hiding-to-nothing as well. Exactly the same demands from up-top aka pick all-of our superstars in one team ...and forget about proper defence (the Makalele angle).

Even Barca don't try to only pick 6 attackers in one game, they have maybe 4 1/2 ...but they do have the World's best in these slots. Real do not and they don't underpin it at all.

Rafa very unlucky to lose his job, but just why should a novice in management like Zidane suddenly do so much better? All down to Perez IMO ...and in him insisting on all his Galactico signings, always playing. You gotta get some workers in there, to make the basics tick right. Who is doing the dirty work atm?

Hope in your heart likes this.
  9. Klopptimism

Klopptimism Banned Users

Well, they do have Casemiro, who has started two games since Nov. 8th (Malmo, Shakhtar). 23 minutes since mid-December. So they have such a player, just don't use him.

Think he would be a good target for #6 role for Liverpool, actually. Take advantage of Real's disarray and pick off him and Jese before they realize they're about to implode.

10. lfc.eddie

Barcelona last goal against Eibar was quite amusing to me. Long ball from the keeper towards Suarez. Intercepted but landed to a surging Barcelona player, who lobbed the ball to Suarez. Our good old Suarez too the ball into the box, nutmegged a defender, and another defender came in and bounced off him, and he slotted the ball low towards the far post. Individual brilliance at its best. Him and Messi in the same team is just unfair for everyone.

DEVGRU likes this.
  11. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

...but beautiful football at times, eh? :-)

12. Arminius

13. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Knew about the roof, but didn't know about the expansion. That altogether will be sick (roof especially, a couple of thousand in expansion is not a big difference). Hardly anyone can match Dortmund's atmosphere and their main stand these days, but in terms of sheer stadium size and look that will be almost perfection.

14. lfc.eddie

First time this season I saw the trio being so out of sync for Barcelona. Messi was marked out of the game, Iniesta was also off his game, and the biggest thing of all is their fullbacks. Jordi Alba is as good as our Moreno, and that says a lot about that fella. Misplaced passes, bad tracking back and unable to mark his opponent. Their unbeaten run wiped out by Ronaldo's goal.

15. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Very flat performance by Barca. Ok up until the goal, but after that I thought Real were better. Suarez missed a sitter and Messi forced a great save from Navas, but apart from that they didn't manage to create too much over the 90 minutes.

Bale's goal should have stood, so in that sense Real deserved the winner. And they did it with ten men, so well done to them. They showed good morale, defended well and used the ball well, so I thought they deserved it in the end.

16. lfc.eddie

@norwegian wood, Messi's kept quiet by Casemairo, he to me was the man of the match in that game. He made Madrid look bloody solid at the back, and the three attackers are quite flat. It could also be due to them traveling from South America in midweek.

17. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

Barcelona looked tired..fatigued...

18. Arminius

I thought it was quite interesting that Real was really set up defensively to shut down Neymar, not Messi or Suarez - although I agree with Eddie's comment about keeping Messi quiet, I think that was down to a superb defensive performance rather than the overall defensive scheme. But Neymar was shadowed tightly the whole way, his man barely paid attention to the ball. Not sure what Zidane saw there, yet taking Neymar away as an outlet seemed to just kill their dynamic play. At first glance, not sure I would prioritize Neymar of those three forwards.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  19. lfc.eddie

Barcelona looking extremely toothless without Suarez against Sociedad. Parking the bus is the way to stop these guys from tearing you apart, especially when they are missing one of the three maestro up front. Neymar having a nightmare of a game, and Messi was marked out of the game and they don't have a very strong squad by the looks of it.

20. Arminius

Sociedad is a bit of a bogey team for Barca, their record is surprisingly good versus Barcelona. On the other hand, Barca might be slumping at exactly the wrong time. But for Torres' rash 2nd yellow, this could easily be three straight losses.

21. lfc.eddie

Barcelona front line looked tired, Messi seems to have lost that burst of acceleration he used to have and Neymar looked like he's dragging a boulder when he was trying to get away from a defender. They seems to be lacking ideas to break down defence, and with Suarez I think they have an additional outlet. They have lost that spark, and this could be due to the number of games they have played. Don't forget they were involved in the World Club Cup competition, can be taxing.

I don't think they will win the Champs League this season. They probably make it to the semis, but that's about as far as they will go. I don't see them conquering Europe like they did last season, where they win practically every damn thing.

22. Arminius

In La Liga though, they don't have much in front of them, just one match versus a top half side. Atletico doesn't have a tough run either, but at least a few in the top half. Real probably has the toughest of the three, and the most ground to make up. So you'd have to think Barca finds a way to get it done in La Liga, though still work to do. In the CL, another very tough match left, but they do have the edge. Despite the recent loss, in some ways their ideal opponent in the CL if they advance would be Real, because they would probably shake off the recent lethargy.

23. ShadesOfRed

ShadesOfRed TIA Youth Team

Barca's season on the verge of collapse. 2 down to Valencia at HT with Atlectico tied with them and Real one point behind.

24. lfc.eddie

They are collapsing right now, look at the way they are playing. This is where the manager makes their money. Enrique for me is like Rodgers, good when his players are all hitting their 100%. Idea is to give it to the front three and let them do their thing. Neymar is out of sort, Messi is looking jaded and Suarez is chasing shadow. Bench has nobody Enrique could bring on to make a difference and the players have no game plan given to break stubborn defence. This is going to be their 3rd defeat in the league in a row.

Pique thinks he is Beckenbauer, he tries to do all sorts of nonsense with his defending. Going forward thinking he could score all the time. Their players demand referees to side them in every single touch. Iniesta is good, but he is no Xavi who is much better dictating tempo of the game.

They may not win the title if this rut don't stop in their midweek game.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  25. Arminius

Valencia winning at the Nou Camp does not speak well of Neville.

26. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

Pako looks great.

27. lfc.eddie

Valencia winning..... forget where it is, just winning, is enough. Neville bite more than he could chew for damn sure. Never going to make it there, everyone knows it from the start.

28. Arminius

Sort of waiting for all the pundits (and TIA posters) who have repeatedly pointed to Barca this year as an example of why rotation is nonsense and unnecessary to offer up their explanations...won't hold my breath though.

29. Arminius

Just noticed that Villareal lost to Rayo Vallecano, while Bilbao got past Malaga. It would not be a bad thing at all for Villareal's 4th place spot to be under real pressure by the end of the month - and Villareal are at Real this Wednesday. They have Sociedad the Sunday before our match, with Bilbao at Levante. The next weekend Villareal go to Valencia, probably not an easy match either.

30. lfc.eddie

It isn't about rotation alone though, if you take a look at their bench, they actually have a big gap of quality between their first team and those in reserves. Like what I said in my post match thread about the importance of keeping our current senior players who are now a squad filler. They may not be worth it to keep for long term, but in this transitional period we need a decent quality on our bench and reserves to be able to call upon and do the job. The Barcelona front three is extremely strong and their midfield is very good, but if one of their midfield players lost form and the front three lost their way, they looked exactly like how they are now.

The naive part of me wanted us to use Barcelona model to bring our youngsters up to speed like how they were doing, but the reality is the need to have the right mix of quality to be able to sustain a long season like how we are going through right now, and how Barcelona is feeling the burn now. I am surprised why didn't they put Arda Turan or someone else in for Neymar who was clearly out of his game after being kicked a few times.

Yeah, I can see Villareal getting caught between wanting to win the semis or cement their place in top 4 to guarantee a spot in the Champs League. The weekend loss is a big one for them. Their point difference shaved from 7 to 4 points and Bilbao will definitely be able to catch up if Villareal take their eyes off the weekend league match against Sociedad. It is now a matter of choice for the manager to choose whether to finish top 4 or go all out in Europa so that they could win it and qualify for Champs League.

If the manager uses risk management as his strategy, he would definitely want to keep the top 4 spot, rather than throw his dice on a 25% chance of getting into Champs League. In the league they are still on the driver's seat, and able to determine their fate with a four point lead. They are also more aware of what their opponents in the league are capable of while in Europa league, it is all new to them other than Sevilla. Passion factors also play a big role in cup games, and they would not know which team they are going to face when it comes to playing us. The more defensive and reserved team, or the super passionate, all guns blazing team that everyone saw last week against Dortmund. So risk management wise, the league is definitely a better bet for them to qualify for Champs League.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.