La Liga 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Professional Grass

Professional Grass TIA Regular

I am and loving it so far (its 4-2 now :shocked:). I like Barca but don't mind them getting knocked down a peg as long as Real Madrid don't end up winning La Liga (don't mind neither if it goes to Atleti :well done:). Cannot say I expected it, but neither can I say it's that surprising. Celta are Barca's bogey team of sorts, and if Celta end up holding on to this win, it will be their third straight vs Barca (and Aspas does well against them :tongue:).

One thing I'm glad about is that Masch is on the bench. He had been getting stick for Barca's defensive issues this campaign (a bit of it justified but the rest a bit OTT) and it's nice that his harsher critics cannot blame him for this match. I bet Barca is regretting letting Bravo go to Man City (at least for the short term) as Ter Stegen is not justifying their faith in him. This coupled with the loss to Alaves will put Enrique in the firing line.

norwegian wood likes this.
  2. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Some, ahem, interesting defending from Barça in that one, not least from Ter Stegen for Celta Vigo's 4th goal. Mathieu had a bit of a shocker and I don't think I have ever seen Busquets play so poorly, no wonder he was hooked. As Celtic did to Citeh during the week, so Celta Vigo have given a pointer to future opponents. We may not have much of the ball but, when we do, let's get straight at their defence. They have now conceded 10 in 7 league matches (that sounds familiar for some reason).

I remember Celta tonking them 4-1 last season. They then suffered one more defeat at Sevilla on the corresponding Sunday before going on a six month, 39 match unbeaten run (32 wins and 7 draws) scoring 122 goals. That's just ridiculous.
    As for the Barca / Real loyalties, I'm four-square behind Cruyff's remark when he signed for Barça

3. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

I think the big reason to the poor defending by Barca comes down that Alves left the club. You don't replace one of the best right sided defenders ever just like that. He was perfect for their system and tactics.

Now that he left the club Busquets must do a lot more defensive job and that isn't his strenght.

4. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Twe big two finally start rotating and they slip up points. Atletico are more used to it, could it be a little chance for them? So far it seems like we might have more of a battle right until the end in top leagues, maybe with a new "upset" somewhere.

5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Sergi Roberto has been one of their better players this season though.

6. Elessar

He has been good but not even close to Alves class. Alves was excellent both in defense and attack. Roberto is excellent in attack but not even close to be as great as Alves in his own half.

7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it's a generic comment that has little to nothing to do with the flurry of goals they've conceded recently and the bad results they've picked up. Those goals have come from individual mistakes from players you expect better from (Busquetes), players who have yet to prove themselves (Ter Stegen) and players who still baffle me that they are a barca player (the french ginger). You've also got to look at the selection against a high pressing Celta side that had too many players who play in the final third and not enough players who can get the ball to that area. None of this is addressed by inserting Alves for an on form Roberto.

8. DeathOrGlory

DeathOrGlory Fortune Favours the Brave

Was mulling over today just how well Simeone has done at Atletico since he came in.

It's quite extraordinary. He's been in charge of a club that's traditionally been well overshadowed by Real and Barca, yet has taken them to finals of European competition basically every season and won plenty of domestic titles too including La Liga in 13-14, an incredible feat, and they're top of that league right now as well.

I'm not sure what the financial status of that club is right now, but I distinctly recall them being in pretty dire straits a fair few years ago. Surely they must be doing better nowadays, no? They must've made a fair bit from tv and prize money due to the CL successes recently, but then they haven't cracked the monopoly that Real and Barca have domestically in La Liga tv rights I guess.

I feel like what he's done there is a bit overlooked, what do other forumites think? Is it because of how he has them playing? It's not exactly the exciting football we for example are playing, but damn they are good defensively, with the match up against Guardiola's Bayern in the semi's of the CL last season springing to mind. In the second leg, when Atletico had the lead, Bayern took 35 shots at goal to Atletico's 7, and held 64% possession, but couldn't find the way through their 4-4-2 formation. In the quarter final vs Barca, the stats were very similar too.

Anyway, I love to see how Atletico's record has improved in their derby games against Real as well. Prior to the 2016 CL final, Real had only won one of the last 8 games vs Atletico dating back to the 2014 CL final.

I read an article suggesting that Simeone might leave, given the two disappointing finals in the CL, thinking that he may have taken them as far as he could, but they are top of La Liga again, so long may he continue to serve there (I'd hate to see him manage a team in the PL anyway, would make another super tough rival in already strong league.)

9. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I think he just falls short of most people's radar because of his style of football.

He's an absolute four letter word, and so is his team.....and I mean that as a compliment.

He's probably best suited to Chelsea in my mind.

But imagine him at arsenal, with Wenger as a DOF. Some set up that would be.

10. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I don't like him, neither as a man, nor as a football gaffer. The football he promotes is despicable imo, and his touchline antics are beyond the pale, especially when he tries to cheat, and he tries it often enough...

But the results speak for him, that's clear, and the players and Atletico fans seem to love him. I for one wouldn't want him anywhere near to our club, and hopefully he'll not move to England after his spell at Atletico, as this would mean another hard to beat, yet totally boring team annoying the cr.p out of the other clubs and fans.

11. kotsebotse

kotsebotse TIA New Signing

I don't think anyone is overlooking Simeone's work mate, what he's done at Atletico is nothing short of amazing, almost miraculous I would say. Going toe-to-toe with the two arguably best teams in the world in Real and Barca and those two have much much more money than Atletico, his best players are getting poached and he cannot afford to go and replace them with superstars, he has to turn good players into superstars to keep up with the two giants in Spain and the others in the CL. If he's done it once, you can say it's luck or something, but he's doing it year after year - that certainly cannot be overlooked.

But at the same time his style is boring as f**k, it's absolute dogshite to watch. And I agree with @Hope in your heart , Simeone is a despicable human being. You think Mourinho is bad? Well wait until you see Simeone more often. He threw a ball on the pitch to stop the play when opposition's player was about to go one-on-one with his keeper. Not to mention some of his old antics e.g. when Simeone was sold (as a player) from Atletico to Lazio it was widely spread that the reason was that he banged Caminero's wife and Caminero went to the owners and said either he goes or I go and at that time Caminero was the symbol of the club and they sold Simeone. For those reasons I never wanted to see him anywhere near LFC despite his great achievements at Atletico.

12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Suarez and Neymar hit by bottles thrown by Valencia fans during their win... but I think the most notable thing for me is Messi's reaction, bellowing at the Valencia supporters: "The cunt of your mother, son of a thousand whores!"

That's some proper swearing right there, you've got obscenity, mum jokes, creativity... top-notch stuff.

We could do with more of that in English. We get the job done, in a quite agricultural manner. But you have to go to the Latin languages for that kind of world-class flair.

koptician and Rattlesnake888 like this.
  13. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

If you only knew how good these swears sound in Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian languages... lol

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  14. Nikola

15. redbj

I bet you it was only last week that Ronaldo came up with a sledge that was just ever so slightly not as good as Messi's....still world class though...best two sledgers in world football......but, meh...outdone again eh Ronnie....

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  16. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

darkvoid likes this.
  17. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

darkvoid likes this.
  18. darkvoid

darkvoid Tiocfaidh ár lá

We've all heard about the magic bullet in the Kennedy assassination will i think we've just witnessed the magic water bottle

19. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Disgusting, embarassing stuff. They're the kings of it over there in Spain.

20. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Italians aren't too bad at it either... ;-)

21. Elessar

Barcelona confirm record kit deal with Nike
    By AFP

Barcelona have confirmed a long-term contract extension with American kit manufacturers Nike that will see the Catalan giants make at least 155m euros (£140m) a season from 2018.

The initial deal, which smashes Manchester United's previous record £750m (835m euros) 10-year deal with Adidas, will run until 2023 when Barca's members will have the chance to vote in favour of a further five-year extension.

"It is a figure which puts us No 1 in the world for sponsorship in the sports industry," Barca vice-president Manuel Arroyo told the club's annual general meeting on Saturday.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/10637904/barcelona-confirm-record-kit-deal-with-nike

22. DeathOrGlory

Atleti got steamrolled at home by Ronaldo and Co. Looking pretty tough for Atleti to win La Liga now.

Why does Simeone start Torres up front with Greizmann? Why not start Gameiro up top, and have Torres come in from the bench if necessary? I'm interested to hear the thoughts of forumites on this.

Atleti have better attacking options than Torres. Griezmann up front with Saul behind, or Griezmann playing off the shoulder of Gameiro, using him as a decoy and running through the spaces left behind. Gaitan should be starting on the right wing too.

23. Nikola

I watched the game, too, Atletico's game plan revolved around relentless crossing, which Varane and co. expertly dealt with, with the rest of the team hitting them intelligently on counter-attack. Atletico conceded very cheap goals, which is a shame, unrecognisable from previous seasons. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but with all the rumours about his departure and poor performances this season, I'm getting the feeling that Simeone is slowly giving up on his Atletico career, that he maybe feels he's taken them as far as he could. Losing two Champions League finals to your biggest rivals under rather unfortunate circumstances has probably left deep scars on him and his players, ones they can't recover from. The biggest irony is that this is probably the best and the strongest Atletico Madrid squad in past fifteen to twenty years.

Limiescouse likes this.
  24. DeathOrGlory

It'd be a shame to see Simeone leave, especially since a lot of Premier League teams would be trying to snap him up, which would be terrible for us, seeing Arsenal get him for example.

He's got Atletico playing a very certain style of football, I doubt that any incoming manager could really replicate that. Maybe someone like Bielsa. When someone new does come in, they might want that side to play a particular brand of football that differentiates dramatically to what Simeone did, and the transition could take a fair while, during which time they will likely go through a slump and lose a lot their spine like Godin, Koke, Griezmann etc.

And it'd be a shame to see them lose the strength in depth they have now over there too.

Scott Jones likes this.
  25. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Watched the Madrid derby and I must say there are a few talking points about the ref and this ref makes all our complains about English ref looked whingy. First was Ronaldo and Koke, the incident which saw Ronaldo attempted to sneak a couple of punches on Koke. The ref didn't pick it up and that to me should be a carded offence, the very least a yellow for Ronaldo. Why is that significant? Because not too long later, he pulled Atletico Madrid defender down and stumbled on the player, dived. That should be another yellow rather than a penalty for them, Ronaldo would have seen red if it wasn't for his stature and his club's reputation.

Atletico didn't play that badly, was hard done and got suckerpunched a couple of times. But as soon as they went 2 down, you know they are going to throw everything at Real. Griezmann was a bit too greedy at times. Overall a few decisions that went against Atletico Madrid which cost them the game. If Real was not awarded for that penalty, it would be a nail biting finish and possibly both share a point each come the end of the game.

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

If Koke's recorded language is correct he is a fucking disgrace.

27. redbj

What'd he say?

28. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Cristiano Ronaldo 'targeted with homophobic abuse by opponent' as Koke allegedly calls him a 'f****t' after Madrid derby

Not he said, rather what they said...

29. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

That's a good comeback lol

30. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Barca: Ter Stegen; Roberto, Pique, Mascherano, Alba; Rakitic, Busquets, Gomes; Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Real: Navas; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Vazquez, Kovacic, Modric, Isco; Ronaldo, Benzema

Real Madrid undefeated so far. Does it end today? Barca six points behind, so obviously can't afford to lose. Not quite a must win for them, but probably as close to it as it gets so early in the season.