La Liga 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Terrible game so far, but Luis just opened the score with a muscular header in a crowded box from a set piece. Umm.

2. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Brilliant delivery by Neymar, right onto Suarez's head. Real have been the more dangerous team so far, but not managed to create clear enough chances.

3. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Don care how it happened, but if Ronaldo is unhappy then I am the opposite.

Scott Jones likes this.
  4. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

1-1! Ramos

5. Limiescouse

The Classico is often quite an ugly game to watch with all the antics, but it is usually at least marked by moments of genuine quality. That was just an overall poor game. I dont like Real, but no one can really claim that that Barca deserved to win that. Neither team looks particularly up to the standards of recent years at the moment.

6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Instead of Zidane, Enrique might be the one go get sack?

7. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Turns out that Barca were a bit lucky with the two decisions, a penalty from Mascherano on Lucas and their goal was offside. Modric looked the most comfortable player on the pitch for large parts, him and Iniesta (shame he couldn't start, game came a bit too early for him) are clearly the two main CM's in world football at the moment.

norwegian wood and lfc.eddie like this.
  8. lfc.eddie

Yes Iniesta made a lot of difference when he came on and Barcelona clicked much better. That goal conceded was a sucker punch just as their momentum were at the ascending. Suarez, Messi and Neymar are all losing form at the same bloody time, with their key midfield linkup guy being injured. They need to find a new Iniesta/Xavi soonish.

9. DrSnuggles

DrSnuggles Member

Just not our coutinho

10. lfc.eddie

2 months or so back, many convinced that we should let him off if he wants to if you take a stroll in his thread. From seasoned member to newbies, a bunch were quite convinced he will be moving on and with the right price we can replace him since we now have Klopp.... believe it or not.

inaiq likes this.
  11. DrSnuggles

DrSnuggles Member

Sounds madness

Would you sell him for 70m

12. lfc.eddie

Not for anything less than £120m and Suarez coming our way.

13. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

I was one of those who doubted whether he had it in him to adapt to Klopp's style.

14. lfc.eddie

Real Madrid got another late goal to rescue their game. Zidane's men is making a habit of using Ferguson's way of winning games. Barcelona going to have a hard time chasing them if this run of luck continues.

15. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Ronaldo may have won the world player award (and deservedly so for the key role in the three the trophies he's won), but theres no question who the world's best player is. Messi against Espanyol was ridiculous. Arguably the best ive ever seen from him.

Ronaldo is an awesome athlete/goalscorer, but Messi is a genius. Ronaldo will never have that label.

DrSnuggles likes this.
  16. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Two quality goals from Bilbao against Barcelona in Copa del Rey. You need to see the run Williams made for the first goal to drag defenders away from Aduriz, textbook stuff.

17. El Cuchillero

El Cuchillero Més que un pedantic shit.

This game lol

18. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Watched the highlights of the Villarreal - Barcelona game and lol @ that ref missing 3 obvious hand balls, including one by the Villarreal player who for a moment wanted to play goalie and launched his hand towards the ball and got it deflected for a corner.

19. lfc.eddie

Just had a pretty long conversation with someone linked with the Valencia owner, previously had worked as change management consultant for Lim's companies. He was invited to evaluate what needs to be done to structure the club, and when he went in, he was shocked to find that there are only one person who knows the European football scene, Juan Sol, who was a Spanish scout for Chelsea a long time ago and now acting as an ambassador for the club. Yes Ambassador. Not Sporting director or anything like that, just a mouthpiece. He came back and told Lim this would not work and his asset, Valencia will be going into further decline if he doesn't start putting a proper structure together. The entire board consists of a bunch of Singaporean who works for some large corporate, Lim or investment companies. But instead of asking my friend to work out a proposed plan or ideas, Lim told my friend his services are no longer required.

I feel very sorry for Valencia. Their old board and management fucked up their finances and didn't repair it quick enough. They sold it to someone who doesn't exactly know what to do with the business and entrusted the entire business to someone he knows, instead of someone capable. His family walks around acting like spoilt brat in the club, treating their fans like shit. How unfortunate.

20. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I thought Jorge Mendes was heavily involved in Valencia?

21. lfc.eddie

You mean the agent that tries to sell them players on inflated prices? He's not on the board to look after the well being of the club, if that's what you mean. Can you imagine we have Raoila or Aidy Ward advising John Henry? Exactly the same situation with Kia Joorabchian and Tony Fernandez.

22. Kopstar

I wasn't aware that Mendes was on the board at Valencia, if you're saying that he is that doesn't tally with your previous post.

My point was that Mendes is heavily involved in Valencia and he and Lim have been long-term business associates, afaik. You're suggesting that Mendes relationship with Valencia is parasitic but my understanding was that it was a lot more of a mutual interest relationship. Mendes may even have a shareholding? Not sure about that but it's wrong to say Valencia has nobody within their set-up with knowledge of the European market because Mendes certainly does.

23. lfc.eddie

Did I say he is on the board @Kopstar? Putting words in my post again are we?

24. Kopstar

"He's not on the board to look after the well being of the club, if that's what you mean" implies that he IS on the board but that his intentions aren't the well being of the club. I never mentioned anything about whether Mendes was on the board or not. If you're saying that he's not on the board then just say that. You will noticed I sought clarity about what you were saying rather than "putting words into your mouth".

If your posts were clearer there'd be far fewer of these misunderstandings that are relatively commonplace.

25. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Wasn't it Lim who led a fairly serious bid to buy Liverpool back when efforts were being made to prise it out of G&H's grasp? Bullet well and truly dodged by the sound of it.

It's why I don't fully understand those who have nothing but complaints for FSG. Sure, they're not perfect in every respect, but compared to the mob some clubs end up with they come closer than most.

Scott Jones likes this.
  26. Kopstar

Yup, he's also a United fan. FSG by far the better ownership.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  27. lfc.eddie

It implies that if you are saying Mendes is sitting in the Valencia board of directors then you are wrong. That's what it implies. The word not does say he isn't part of the board, and the last part "if that's what you mean" signifies that I assume you meant he is part of the executive committee when you quoted my post about nobody in their management and boardroom who is well versed in Spanish or European football. Isn't that right?

You are some kind of a odd ball at times. Picking fights when there is none. If you need some space, let me know. I won't reply your post the next time around.

28. Kopstar

I said (to nobody in particular but it followed your stream of consciousness about what somebody told you about Valencia) "Isn't Jorge Mendes heavily involved in Valencia?"

I never mentioned anything about him being on the board that first came from you.

My comment referring to Mendes' involvement was a question because I was surprised by your friend's claim that "there are (sic) only one person that (sic) knows the European football scene, Juan Sol" within the club structure.

I wasn't picking a fight, far from it but if questioning the accuracy of what you say at times is something you find confrontational then maybe go for a lie down.

29. Limiescouse

Mendes has no official capacity at Valencia, but it was he who brought Lim into the deal and so has had his ear on football matters ever since and much of their business since has focused on Mendes represented players (and coaches). Ayala and Rufete, both players during the Rafa era and club legends, had been working at the club as the director of football and chief scout objected to the level of Mendes' influence, and that was a power struggle they lost. Ayala, cheif scout, was not even replaced such was the role, unofficially, that Mendes had.

Even beyond that though Valencia is a total mess. They are again in a relegation fight this season, yet recently presented their financial report that is totally at odds with their situation. Their plan is predicated on being in Europe next season, and every season thereafter. It assumes that will come with increased commercial, game day and tv revenues. That is a huge ask given how bad they have been the past couple of seasons and how poorly managed they seem to be, but part of those figures also requires them to make large profits in the transfer market.

Kopstar likes this.
  30. Limiescouse

@lfc.eddie
    This implies that he is on the board, but for reasons other than the well being of the club. I get that's not what you meant, but it's how most English speaking people would interpret it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017