La Liga 2016/17

Discussion in 'European Football' started by Nikola, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

My money is on Pochettino.... Barcelona will go for him if PSG don't do it first. Spurs going to go spiralling down after.... :well done:

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I wouldn't be unhappy with that scenario, Ed, I must admit.

Was also wondering whether Wenger would (sorry for the alliteration) throw his hat into the ring? Might depend on how strongly or otherwise Arsenal end the season and how much the fans are calling for his head. I imagine he'd be tempted if things go south there.

3. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Pochettino is being taken a lot more seriously in English betting circles than Spanish football circles. Not that he is not a candidate, but Sampaoli, Sacristan, and Valverde all seem serious candidates - only Sampaoli is getting much weight in English books. A couple of sources also have Messi really liking Berizzo.

4. Zinedine Biscan

I saw one of Messi's goals tonight on Twitter. Pure Playstation football, unbelievable.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  5. lfc.eddie

You mean the one where he got the ball from Busquets about 10 yards from the half way line, dribbled up the pitch went past one guy and cuts to his left, unleashed the shot just outside the 18 yard box? Or his second where he received the through ball on the right and ran all the way from the half way line, cuts in to take past 2 defenders and shot the ball through between 4 players and a keeper? I thought both goals were like from some video game goal. I also appreciate that pass from Pique to Suarez, who then slipped past two defenders, beat the keeper but failed to beat the post. Sublime move.

6. Zinedine Biscan

I only saw the one goal, think it was the first one of those, but they both sound similarly improbable.

I know Ronaldo has his supporters, but for me any discussion about the greatest ever begins and ends with Messi. Unreal player. Quite possibly we'll not see another like him in my lifetime.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  7. lfc.eddie

There is a big difference between Messi and Ronaldo, the latter was like something produced from a factory. He does have that skills with the ball, but never anywhere near Messi. Ronaldo worked extremely hard to improve himself, from pace, power, shots accuracy and of course ball control. Messi is like something that was bestowed upon us through some divine intervention. I don't think he does his training as hard as Ronaldo, look at their frame alone shows who puts in the extra shift in the gym.

You will always be able to find another Ronaldo, would put Suarez something like Ronaldo. But Messi, he's once in a lifetime sort of player. The difference between him and Maradona is their discipline and football generation. I don't think Ronaldo nor Messi could last this long if they were to play their football in the 80s and 90s. Someone would have broken their legs in a few parts.

8. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@lfc.eddie ,
    Do you not think Ronaldo is the best 'all rounder' as a footballer, he can help defend when his team in trouble, as well as score, whereas Messi is truly gifted from above as the best Centre-Forward?

9. lfc.eddie

Ronaldo rarely defend. It depends on how do you define all rounder. Suarez defends when playing for us, Gerrard can dish out as tough a tackle as he could receive, and both scores and assists a bucket load too. So they would probably fall in your all rounder category as opposed to Ronaldo. But for me Ronaldo is a manufactured genius while Messi is a born genius, footballing wise.

Maria likes this.
  10. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Think PSG will be a different story altogether....but....but... Whereas this time two weeks ago, I would have said barca were dead, now, if you take into account they have the best player to ever grace the game, they are maybe, just maybe, wagging they're finger hulk hogan style to signal there's life still there

11. lfc.eddie

The problem is in their defence. While Pique may have played a nice little through ball to Suarez and co, he's pretty shit defensively. Busquet played like shit in their last outing against PSG and PSG defence are pretty robust and quick. There are also officiating factor where they get a lot of calls in the Spanish League compared to Champs League. They also need to score 5 and not concede to get through. Very unlikely.... they are definitely out of Champs League.

12. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Wow, just when it looked they had restored their title challenge, Barca losing to Deportivo

13. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Main problems are still there for Barca though. 10 goals (+ 2 assists in 29 games so far) for Ramos by the way, the amount of key/match winning goals he's getting (and in last periods of games) is fantastic.

fcukManU likes this.
  14. lfc.eddie

That Barcelona defence does look like ours, doesn't it? The difference is we don't have the might of their attacking trio. Damn it! They can't even defend properly against a team that had only score 19 away goals all season long. Their midfield can thread the ball all over the pitch, but needed Messi to carry them over and feed it to Neymar and Suarez. Their defence was nonexistence last night, up until Valencia went down to 10 men, were a threat using their counter attack against Pique and Mascherano. Busquets looking rusty and slow too.

15. lfc.eddie

Barcelona's defence and keeper is super appalling. Surely they could use Sakho to keep them tight at the back.... come on Barca, do us another big favour, since you love buying players from us so damn much....

redfanman likes this.
  16. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I was surprised to hear on a podcast recently that Busquets wasnt on a list of ranking midfielders in Spain, and that his performances werent at the levels he had achieved previously. I guess it might actually be true. I wonder what the issues are?

17. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He's the player who has probably been most affected by their evolution into a team who moves it forward quickly. His main role in the side previously was to be the pivot of most moves, always backing up the move and giving them the option to go backwards and change direction, and he could do it even when put under pressure. Under Enrique he's large bypassed by his own side when they have the ball and he's never been the sort of player who would cover a ton of ground to sweep up when they dont have it. They would probably be better off having someone like Macherano in there instead of him with the way they are playing now.

redfanman likes this.
  18. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Tony Adams is the new Granada manager and takes training to a new level.lol

redfanman likes this.
  19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Quite a funny video. There are quite few doing the rounds with different music!

Yesterday before their match there were people on twitter saying that if they had a good result people would have egg on their faces because they were laughing at the video. Given Granada lost 3-0 i dont think that will happen any time soon.

lol

Maria likes this.
  20. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

There is a good one with the cha cha slide by Dj Casper. This has better moves in this song

Tony Adams has been a bit iffy with his managerial skills, not sure if he can turn things around at this club.

redfanman likes this.
  21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Omg!! Did anyone see the El Classico?
    This game had everything, energy, tension, high tempo, uncertainty, goals, football at it's best. I just caught the last minutes. It was the epic battle of the two best players in the world and the two best teams in the battle.

Barcelona did it on the turf of Real Madrid, yes, it is truly the messiah Messi who got the winning goal in the end at stoppage time. Game on for the title, it is not over yet.

This is Football. Truly magnificent to watch.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    norwegian wood and Scott Jones like this.
  22. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Certainly did @Maria
    Belter of a match and, to please me even more, Sergio Ramos picked up a straight red card. Think that's about the 20th of his career. A great example to us all. Less magnificent was the sight of players from both sides berating the ref to issue a card for almost every foul. Distasteful. The respect campaign obviously only applies during August.

Maria and Scott Jones like this.
  23. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

We need to find a Messi in the haystack of footballers in Europe and South America, who is willing to come to LFC.

24. lfc.eddie

Madness, absolute madness. At the death of the match, Sergi Roberto ran the length of the pitch, pass it to some fella who thread it over to Jordi Alba. All he did was cut it back to the centre and hope for the best, and Messi delivered the best. What a goal and what a game to mark his 500th goal for Barcelona I believe. Superb end to a very rough match to watch.

25. lfc.8

lfc.8 Well-Known Member

Messi you are the greatest. Just amazing. Such a good game and the quality on show.

26. lfc.8

lfc.8 Well-Known Member

Barcelona have dropped some real silly points this season but I would like to see them go on and win the title.

27. lfc.eddie

Real level on points with one game in hand. The Classico was probably their toughest game and I just don't see them losing any games from here till the end of the season. The title is Real's to lose and I don't think they will lose it.

28. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Incredible game (would have enjoyed it a lot more had we won today). Marcelo should have taken out Sergi Roberto who made the run that led to the goal. The finish from Messi is what you'd expect from arguably the greatest player ever.

Have had a soft spot for Barcelona for way they play (since Cruyff took over) and the forwards that played for them...from Ronaldo (in his awesome prime) to Rivaldo to Ronaldinho to Messi. No sports team on the planet has provided as much entertainment.

29. lfc.8

lfc.8 Well-Known Member

Real have a tougher schedule but yes, it is still within their hands. Real will remain favourites, as for any team they face going forward, they have the better team. If both clubs finish on equal points then its advantage Barcelona, as they have the superior head to head.

30. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

What a game last night. Messi is such a sublime footballer and without all the prancing and dick swinging.