League Cup 16/17

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by rupzzz, Sep 21, 2016.

1. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

We've drawn Spurs in the 4th round.

Some big ties Inc West Ham v Chelsea, Man U v Man City.

Win in the next round and the QF ties could be favourable.

Scott Jones and norwegian wood like this.
  2. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Interesting draw, get through it though and there's a decent chance of a Championship side in the next round.

3. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I don't want to be pedantic but this isn't the EFL cup, this is a thread for that trophy in which U23's play.

Yes the way they branded these is shit.

4. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Disappointed to see Gillingham (my local team) lose 5-0 to Spurs.
    Thought they played well overall and had a couple of chances to bag a goal but Pochettino played enough top players to allow them to dominate.
    Never mind!

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

moved all of these posts to a new Cup thread.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Thought the draw was rigged. But then they probably would have us playing against Arsenal and Tottenham vs Chelsea if that was the case.

Would prefer an easier fixture.... but fuck it. This and CL should distract them from the league

7. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Pochettino tends to play weak sides in this competition if I'm not mistake. Klopp will play a stronger one. May potentially end up an easier tie than it looks on paper.

8. ILLOK

On a slightly interesting and certainly bizarre note, Paddy McNair played as a #10 for Sunderland tonight and scored twice. David Moyes football genius indeed.

Scott Jones likes this.
  9. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Home draw will do for me, don't care if it's against Spurs. We were unfortunate not to beat them at their gaff and hopefully we can get our first win against them, at the 4th time of asking, since Klopp took charge.
    They'll be without Kane so, unless Janssen suddenly turns into Kane Mk. II, their attack will be blunted a bit. Added to that, they have CL tussles against Bayer Leverkusen the week before and after our match. They're away to Bournemouth and home to Leicester either side of our game. Let's see how that stretches their resources and how much they're prepared to invest in this one.

With regards to the rest of the draw, Wenger will probably be rubbing his hands at that with three of us/Spurs, City/United and West Ham/Chelsea to disappear off the list of participants after the next round. They'll still find a way of shooting themselves in the foot though.

SBYM likes this.
  10. Arminius

Poses some problems for them. With the 7-8 days before and after, the respective fixtures are:

Liverpool: Saturday h. West Brom, h Tottenham, Saturday away Palace
    Spurs: away to Leverkusen, away Bournemouth, away LFC, home Leicester, home Leverkusen

For us, it is an awkward midweek fixture between two normal weeks. For them, the whole month has to at a different rhythm.

11. Arminius

With almost half the PL teams going out, the round after is going to have four softer draws. Somebody is almost certainly going to get a gift into the semis.

12. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

God I hope José gets his pants pulled down three times in one season by Pep...it would be bloody killing him.

(even more would be good...)

treboeth likes this.
  13. Joe Ware

Arsenal don't tend to take this competition particularly seriously though.
    Knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 last season.

14. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Does he wear pants?

15. WrinkledMind

WrinkledMind Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.

Think Rafa has a good chance in this. He will concentrate on the league, though. If not us, then them for me.

16. Joe Ware

17. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I think we have a good chance to progress, Spurs quite rightly will be concentrating on the CL and the League, which I don't blame, without Europe we are rightly giving the League cup a go.

Rahul Patil likes this.
  18. Rahul Patil

Rahul Patil Klopp FTW

Hopefully like we expect, pochettino fields a weaker side.. home game against spurs, with Kane potentially out for 1 month or so, is quite ok.

Hopefully, Reading will do a number on arsenal.

As far as utd vs city goes... I hope they both lose! ;-)

19. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

We'll beat Spurs, I'm confident. Elsewhere, good chance for United to get that early win over City, might be important for their belief for the rest of the season.

20. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

It could have been a kinder draw. But with Spurs in Europe and it being at Anfield I really hope we can get through. Klopp will see this as an opportunity for his first trophy, no doubt what happened last season will be at the back of his mind.

Now as much as I dislike Man Utd, City are looking unplayable under Pep and they look very difficult to stop. I don't want them getting on roll, not when we're in the cup anyway.

Professional Grass likes this.
  21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Yeah it might be a useful thing for Man Utd to knock them out....

LaurazRed likes this.
  22. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

I don't see even Pep emulating Wenger's 'Invincibles' team. City will lose at some point. Why not to United in the cup? Be as good a time as any. United will be looking for their revenge, and Mourinho is no silly boy. He's come up against Pep before so he knows how to set his team out against a Guardiola team, and while his plan in the recent league game didn't come off, he won't make the same mistake twice.

We could do with a win over Spurs at Anfield, and it'd be interesting then to see who we got in the 5th round. But lets not jump the gun. Spurs are no push overs and it'll be a tough game. Thankfully Klopp doesn't subscribe to the only playing kids rule. We'll give the Londoners a game, and hopefully go one better than our recent league encounter.

Professional Grass and LaurazRed like this.
  23. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Oh naturally, I'd be interesting to see what teams are played in some of these games, I would expect Klopp's will be pretty strong, but Spurs have hinted at keeping a weaker side though still very good. City against Swansea wasn't full of talent.

Considering the spiral that the last City defeat on Man Utd then.

24. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

For all the praise Citeh have received and all the laughing at Utd, if both sides take this slightly less seriously you can see Utd putting out the significantly better side. Pep knows largely what his best team is, it is working well at the moment and the comparative lack of quality on the bench means the effect of a couple of key changes can be really big. Based on the last few weeks, Utd could arguably put out a second string side that is better than their league side.

25. ILLOK

Arminius likes this.
  26. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Looked like a blatant foul on Fernando then by Herrera. City made to pay for wasting a lot of promising positions with overhit passes. Been a pretty shite game in all honesty.

27. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

Be happy with Chelsea and City out...

28. Arminius

Leeds at Anfield with ManU facing Arsenal would do nicely - could live with a City comeback though

29. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

I would love it if both City and Chelsea exit stage left tonight. ManU, i don't fear at all these days. Leaves the way semi-open for us then, in maybe the easiest Cup to win.

Arsenal still around though, of course. They we should fear, but better one foe instead of some many others. This Cup now looking pretty nice for us atm.

30. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Klopp v Rafa at Anfield would be nice in the next round