Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right, I remember he did have one decent game for the first team, think it was against Sunderland

2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Arsenal away.

3. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah that's right he had a good game against Arsenal and was playing well against Sunderland but had to come off with an injury and it seeme to derail his progress a bit

redfanman likes this.
  4. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I went to quite a few Leicester games when he was on loan to them and he was pretty much useless. So was Vardy. Chris Wood and David Nugent seemed a much better pair and even Martyn Waghorn was thought of as a bit of a local hero and the fans loved him coming on from the bench.

It's part of the reason I spent so long doubting Harry Kane's potential, having seen him wander around aimlessly for Leicester and having David Nugent ahead of him in the pecking order.

redfanman likes this.
  5. blaze

blaze Faith.

Less appreciated by us fans maybe. But I'm pretty sure that the academy coaches look at the replays of the matches and rate players based on how likely that they could play the same way in a real match. For example I remember people here, me included, were excited about N'goo when he was scoring loads of the youth teams. But I remember Mcparland in an interview of his saying that he was not that hyped because the goals that were scored were unlikely to be scored in real matches. Over different interviews and stuff I gather that our internal rating system takes runs made, tactical awareness etc into account. I also remember when Sterling broke through, Inglethorpe was sure he would be a hit because apart from the physical attributes, Sterling was tactically aware and was intuitively made good off the ball runs. So I think our youth coaches foo take those lesser appreciated factors into consideration.

6. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I feel that's the difference between Woodburn and many other prospects we've got/had, the tactical awareness and maturity he's got for such a young lad is unbelievable and it's something that's tough to coach into a player, you've either got it or you haven't

7. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Great show from the U18 v MU. Played most of the game with 10 men . Led 1-0 at HT then went 2-1 behind but battled on to equalise and earn a draw.

redfanman likes this.
  8. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah they did really well considering they were down to 10. No complaints about the sending off but the ref was terrible, we should of had a couple of pens and Utd should of had a man sent off. Dhanda, Keheller, Masteron and McCauley were excellent

costared and redfanman like this.
  9. ILLOK

It's a personal preference thing. For what it's worth I'd rather have a Mascherano or Kante than Matic or even Didi.

I tend to dislike midfielders who are slow off the mark, very tall ones tend to fall into this. Not denying there aren't some good players with this build but I just find them incredibly frustrating to watch unless they're extremely intelligent! Once Lucas lost that speed over 5 yards his level went steadily downhill as a midfielder, for example. I do actually think Grujic has a lot of quality so hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

The u23s are playing Chelsea in 5 mins, very strong side put out here.

redfanman likes this.
  10. ILLOK

1-0, Wilson penalty.

Won by TAA who is already proving a decent outlet going forward. Watching how ineffective Clyne is I wonder whether we should be playing Trent against the lesser sides at Anfield, he's clearly a better attacking force than Clyne.

11. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

Good pen from Harry Wilson. TAA doing very well.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Twitter saying Grujic is looking sharper. Interested to hear your thoughts at half or full time on him.

13. ILLOK

He is. His first touch has been excellent and he clearly has no problem taking the ball under pressure. Has picked out some clever little five yard passes too, maybe a bit more fleet footed than I'd given him credit for.

Trent has been the best player on the park though, such an incredibly strong runner going forward. He's always available on the overlap and looks dangerous when he does have the ball. Put a couple of really good aerial crosses in and some along the ground that have been well defended by Chelsea.

We're in total control really. Chelsea are very well organised and are holding their own at the back, this is the kind of game in which we usually cut open teams with lesser defenders but we haven't created that many good chances despite our dominance.

14. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I get what you mean, I think matic has looked miles better with Kante next to him so maybe Grujic/Keita combo

15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

TAA is going to be some fucking player.. Hope he gets a chance before next season because his attacking threat and play is off the chart.. Game intelligence of the highest order.

16. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

What a run from Brewster then, such pace

17. ILLOK

Their mulleted #8 should be off there. Wins the award for most punchable face on show tonight.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  18. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Really one-sided, totally dominating the game.

19. ILLOK

Ojo has put some real quality crosses in from the left. As I've said many times before, he's far better out there than on the right in my opinion. He's worked hard again tonight.

redfanman likes this.
  20. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

His hairs ridiculous, he looks like an Eastern European player from the 80s

Livvy, Cologne-Liverpool and ILLOK like this.
  21. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Lovely free kick by Trent

Lowton_Red likes this.
  22. CymruRed

CymruRed TIA Youth Team

Great free kick by TAA just outside the box 2-0

Lowton_Red likes this.
  23. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

He's a cynical little shit that Kyle Scott.

24. ILLOK

Cracking play from Grujic and Trent there but equally impressive defending again from Chelsea.

25. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Another good result and performance

26. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

Lovren gets 75 mins, T A A man of match.

27. ILLOK

Grujic and Trent the standout players tonight often linking up together to get in behind Chelsea.

Trent's delivery was inconsistent but again he showed he can create plenty of good chances. His delivery from further out is currently better than his cut backs from the byline, so that's something he can improve on. Still creates a ridiculous amount of chances though, he's the most available full back I've ever seen. His fitness and his instinct on when to make that run in behind is outstanding.

Grujic displayed a brilliant first touch, great vision and a lovely passing game, really good performance. Everybody else played well but these two clearly above the rest for me.

28. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Let's sign him up.

redbj likes this.
  29. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I couldn't catch the game but I honestly hope that, after Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn, Grujić and Ojo are the next to break through. Good to see they are performing well for U23s, they have to use it to impress Klopp, for him it's probably as important as their performances during pre-season preparations. They have to be on standby for first team duty anyway, given the amount of injuries in the first team.

30. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Not trying to spoil the party - genuine qurstion. I remember reading reports that McLaughlin was clearly a cut above other players during his under 21 games. And he did create a lot of scoring chances. But he didn't make it here (due to injuries?) and got released. How would you compare / contrast McLaughlin and TAA.