Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

TAA has played for the first team and never looked out of place, all he lacks is a bit of physicality.

redfanman likes this.
  2. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

On that note I seem to remember teams like Chelsea and City being able to bully our youth teams in the past. From what I've read it seems we were pretty dominant. Are the kids getting a bit better at handling this approach?

3. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

IMO we are getting better, but the Chelsea team yesterday was a weakened side.

4. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

TAA is bigger physically, hasnt had many injuries (especially serious ones). He also started out a winger i think (like Ryan Sessegnon, our young target at Fulham?) so i think is better suited to the premier league than Mclaughlin was and will be more likely to make it here. He still is a bit raw defensively, but he looks a smart lad and so over time will pick that up.

We have had a long history of promising right backs in the reserves, so its wise to not count our chickens before they hatch - but i think TAA is probably our best chance of breaking that mould.

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  5. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

McLaughlin was very unlucky with injuries. In case anyone was wondering how he's doing he was man of the match for Oldham at the weekend, my mates a scout and text me after the game. He wasn't scouting Ryan though

Limiescouse and redfanman like this.
  6. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Mclaughlin was good but he was never as dominant as Trent is. Also he couldn't make a tackle without ending up in a heap on the floor.

redfanman likes this.
  7. redfanman

Absolutely. Was really good in the preseason game against Roma in 2013/14. But his size was probably going to always be an issue.

8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I loved him but he got constantly injured. In terms of pace, I think he was better than Alexander-Arnold, also had bundles of energy and same attacking inclination. However, at youth level, Alexander-Arnold looks more complete (passing, tackling, one-on-ones), calmer, more mature, crosses the ball better (which McLaughlin also did well). We'll see how far he can go, I think that he's now very much a big part of Klopp's plans for the future, starting from next season.

The Elusive 19th likes this.
  9. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

In the words of Jamie Carragher, wasn't McLaughlin a failed winger (instead of a failed CB- like Gary N.), but TAA is more like a young Gerrard breaking through (in position only, not saying he is Gerrard!) at RB, but with the ability to possibly end up at CM? He is a much more versatile player than McLaughlin ever was. They are grooming him to be Clyne's understudy at the moment but I'm not convinced he doesn't play central at some point in his career after playing a season or two at RB.

Limiescouse likes this.
  10. Nikola

costared and The Elusive 19th like this.
  11. redfanman

I think TAA has played both winger and More centrally. Not sure there would be a rush to move him back to the middle.

12. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Kent seems to be having a really poor season. He had a good start to it - but somewhere it halted. Personally don't think he is improving.

13. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Not sure mclaughlin was quicker than Trent. Never had the same energy and never made the same amount of runs in behind either. No slight on him, I've never seen anybody at youth level play like Trent. Mclaughlin was better at running with the ball but that's about it imo.

redfanman likes this.
  14. Nikola

I understand what you're saying but I got a different impression from watching him. I'm so gutted lad didn't make it, he had everything needed to be at least a decent PL-level right back (remember games he and Brad Smith played at fullback, I was so optimistic about them breaking through, they looked like real modern fullbacks).

As for Alexander-Arnold, yeah, I also can't remember anyone at youth level playing with the same level of maturity as him, though the likes of Sterling and Suso looked more exciting, obviously, due to fact that they played in attack. Of course, we're talking about youth, not senior football, but I hope that he can carry that over to first team. If we only had a left back equivalent of him, eh...

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  15. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I feel Klopp believes a lot in Trent and Woodburn, while maybe he was thinking of Brewster when he said we had a very special kid but it's too early for him. Two very young boys, but seem to have the material, hunger and willingness to be real team players.

redfanman likes this.
  16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I first got to see TAA during preseason, and immediately felt he'd make it. You just get a feeling with some players. It wasn't a competitive match, granted, but was just so assured on the ball, creative with it combined with physical athleticism. He just stood out that day, and the feeling has persisted with his first-team appearances since then.

Woodburn was another when he first came on. I know we've been here before many times, but really do think we have a few gems in this generation of kids coming up.

redfanman likes this.
  17. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

Agree completely. Was shocked to see how often TAA was demanding the ball and showing for it in the preseason playing with first team members. Was no shrinking violet, that's for sure.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  18. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I would say the vast majority of premier league midfielders could make a decent push at playing RB, and so I think one of the advantages he has in that initial evaluation is that he genuinely a midfielder who has been pushed back into a role he has the traits to play and that the first team needs support in. That means he looks more composed and comfortable on the ball than a more natural athlete type player who has been converted to full back. I think the biggest obstacle he has to overcome is that there are significant question marks over his defending, especially one on one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Zinedine Biscan and redfanman like this.
  19. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with this and I'd even say Trent is just as good at running with it. Ryan was good but Trents better, Trent is far more intelligent

20. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I thought Brewster but it was shortly after Woodburn scoring on his debut and he said everyone's asking/speaking about him, which they were of Ben but not of Rhian

21. redfanman

But didnt articles start appearing in fan media about Brewster around the same time?

22. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

The interesting thing is that Smith is at a PL team while McLaughlin - who was significantly more effective at youth level - is toiling away in the lower leagues. Injuries certainly played a part but Smith isn't an iron man either.

23. Nikola

I was surprised by his recovery ability, though, I think he did his ACL twice but never looked like he lost an inch of pace. McLaughlin, though... Always some niggles he couldn't get rid of. I can't remember exactly what was the crux of his injury issues, I think there was a significant one that kept him out longer than others and he never really recovered.

24. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe, it was just the way he said 'everyone is asking about him now, now,now' made me think it was Ben and just a few days before he had told the press to calm down and stop asking about him

redfanman likes this.
  25. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Local lad as well, seems to have that real bite to his game. We really do have a fucking immense set of young lads, and Klopp is probably in the top 3 of managers who could oversee them becoming superstars.

redfanman likes this.
  26. Zoran

I like Kent, but I do wonder how he gets in Klopp's plans. Maybe it will not be enough in terms of that decision making, etc. I was disappointed when Markovic got in the plane for US ahead of him last summer. A better loan? Maybe, but will he attract that interest? I don't know. I wonder what type of improvement will make Klopp include him in his squad. I'm afraid he will still look at him as too individualistic. Still some time for him to do it of course and it's not like Ojo or Wilson are massively ahead of him (but as I said, they obviously trust Woodburn a lot), at least it doesn't seem so.

redfanman likes this.
  27. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

You have to remember Klopp had Reus who in the youth set up was very similar to Kent, very similar skill set.. Not saying they are the same level, but it clicked very early for Reus, if it clicks for Kent there is no reason he can't have a very very good career. He constantly gets name dropped (even when not needed) when anyone associated with or close to the club are discussing our youth prospects.

Even if it doesn't work we'd get a good fee for him.. He's easily as good as Ibe, just not got the first team exposure. If we keep cracking out 15mil per youth player, when we've got a raft of them who could go down that route.. Kent/Wilson/Ojo.. Serious money making production line we have going, and there is always the big chance some if not all could become first team players (my favoured option.)

redfanman likes this.
  28. Zoran

Reus had 3 seasons at Monchengladbach before signing for Dortmund.

redfanman likes this.
  29. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yeah but he started at Dortmund, his move gave him the exposure and really refined his game and decision making (it was like a long term youth loan).. His productivity through the youth teams wasn'tt fantastic. Certainly not the 1 in 3 goals he did at BM, which turned into 1 in 2 at Dortmund.

30. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Woodburn named in full Wales squad, clever from Wales. Cap him early so he's ineligeble for England. They did the same with Wilson