Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Generally speaking if you dont break into the first team by 19 from the Academy you dont make it at LFC. Only have to look at the players who have broken through to see that. Brannagan is a perfect example of someone who just wont make it here.

TAA will make it though because he broke through at that young age.

Just because they dont make it at LFC very high level doesnt mean they wont have a very good professional football career

You only have to look at our first team squad and the players we are targeting to know the very high level you have to achieve to make it

2. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. Wilson missed a lot of time through injury but we have been patient with him as he's rated highly

redfanman likes this.
  3. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

3-1 win at Liecester for the U23 after being a goal down at half time. Brewster had a great second half with a goal and 2 assists. Not the best I have seen them but well worth the win.

NickF likes this.
  4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Ejaria and Ojo back for the U23s tonight.. Wonder what is up with Stewart? Not even on the bench? Surely injured?

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Woodburn's just scored one of the best goals of the season to equalise, proper team goal. Ojo nearly scored a blinder earlier on too.

1-1, City scored a penalty that Grabara was very unlucky not to save.

redfanman likes this.
  6. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sometimes you watch the ressies and wonder if they'd do better than half the first team.. TAA has so much more all round game than Clyne, he really needs his chance.

redfanman likes this.
  7. ILLOK

Whilst I don't disagree that Trent could have gotten more time, he gave the penalty away with a rubbish tackle.

redfanman likes this.
  8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

True, but it's not as though Clyne doesn't switch off all the time.

9. ILLOK

Grabara is such a good goalkeeper at this level. If Ward can play at the top of the Championship this lad could be premier league standard, even if not at Liverpool.

costared, NickF and redfanman like this.
  10. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

and he's still really young

11. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

We should be winning this comfortably

12. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Been great in the 2nd half

13. ILLOK

Last minute winner on the counter from Virtue, not long after a goal line clearance of Joe Gomez. Cracking game.

Woodburn's been class again. 2 goals and a big hand in the 3rd.

redfanman, Livvy and NickF like this.
  14. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I just hope a lot of Liverpool fans who question Woodburns ability have watched this game

inaiq, costared, ILLOK and 1 other person like this.
  15. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

16. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

A classic " we wuz robbed " for the U18 v Chelsea. Chelsea took early lead with a hard shot that was deflected in and it took LFC about half an hour to recover. Came out strong in second half and had a few chances . Denied one of the most clear pens you will ever see and frankly you would have thought the officials travelled up on the Chelsea coach.
    Curtis Jones in particular took my eye once again.

NickF likes this.
  17. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah he's a good player Jones, big lad as well

18. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Where does he play/what is he?

19. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Central midfielder from what I've seen, very tall for his age, great touch and overall skill. Everyone seems to rate him pretty highly, I got the impression that he and Longstaff are two highest rated players out of our current U18 setup.

redfanman likes this.
  20. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Pretty much what @Nikola said. Only 16 but really impressing at u18 level, I think he will be the next one fast tracked through. He's one of those players who receives the ball and turns in one motion, great to watch! Has a good eye for a goal too

21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I have a question, I came across an article about Harry Wilson. It doesn't seem to be on the banned list of websites but it is by Jaime something, I think.

In this article, it criticises Klopp for not selecting Harry Wilson in the first team, despite him scoring many goals in the U23 team and playing very well consistently in all the matches, but he seems to be overlooked by Klopp, compared to TAA and Woodburn.

I am wondering this too, Lallana has highly praised Harry Wilson and says he is hugely underrated, so do any of you have any theories on why Klopp is not including him in the first team?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

@Limiescouse wrote about it in another thread. The feeling is that he hasnt developed physically enough yet to feature in these games. I think he is highly rated at the club (is the captain in the u23's?) just not deemed ready enough to step in against these particularly physical sides we are playing. He wouldnt have been called up to train regularly with the first team if he was underrated.

Kopstar, Maria and Scott Jones like this.
  23. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I don't think Maria reads Limiescouse's posts.

24. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@redfanman
    Many thanks for shedding some light into this. It sounds positive still, that Klopp may bring him to play some matches in the EPL and cup tournaments in the near future, Wilson needs more time perhaps. I hope this gem of a player does not leave our club in case he wants more playing time, this is my fear.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Yes i do read some of his posts actually on the threads i am active as I do yours. I do not have time to go on every single thread in this forum and read every single post as there are hundreds of posts on here on a daily basis. I haven't been on this thread before and was asking a question that is all, which @redfanman kindly answered.

26. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Glad to hear it - he's a good poster, often very informative. Worth reading.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  27. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I dont think you need to worry. Wilson went on loan a season or two again and suffered some nasty injuries which set him back a bit and so is probably keen not to rush things, while making up for lost time. His involvement with the first team squad, and the support shown in the U23 set up should help him want to stay.

inaiq, Scott Jones and Maria like this.
  28. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Wilson has been a constant fixture for the u23s with Woodburn playing far less games but Woodburn still has 8 goals in 14 games without penalties. I like to go to our u23s games and when you're watching both in the flesh it is clear who is the superior talent and that's what Klopp is seeing on the training ground. Wilson is a very good player, Woodburn is special

Maria, redfanman, inaiq and 1 other person like this.
  29. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

30. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Kids playing with so much more passion and swagger than the first team.. More of them should be given their chance.