Loan Watch 2016/17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, Jul 10, 2016.

1. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

My uncle was at Barnsley's game against Sheffield Wed yesterday, Kent made his rundown:

Memorable moments;
    The greedy pig
    Davies gaff
    Kent with fast footwork leaving 3 Weds players and the east stand for dead
    Winnall showing his (lack of ) class goal celebration.
    Yiadom trying to carry on
    Equaliser emotions
    Last 5 mins fun

Barnsley scored 90th minute to draw level. Greedy pig he's referring to is Winnall, who moved from Barnsley to Wednesday in January, scored yesterday, and ran and celebrated in front of Barnsley fans by himself after having a stuffed pig thrown at him earlier in the game. Sounds like Kent had some good moments.

Kopstar, MarcusBerglund and redfanman like this.
  2. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

Markovic had a decent game for Hull yesterday his major flaw is he drifts in and out of games far too often

3. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

4. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Great effort by Kent hits the post! Barnsley score off the rebound

redfanman likes this.
  5. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

He scored their second also

NickF and redfanman like this.
  6. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Has Kent signed a new contract, or was it just rumoured that he would be in the summer?

7. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Kent looks like he had a good game, great run and cross, big hand in the first and a great goal

8. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

that goalie.....lol

redfanman likes this.
  9. jgw_geneseo

Kent played well again today. Hitting a bit of a purple patch with Barnsley lately.

redfanman likes this.
  10. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sucram1971/status/853993122220711938/video/1

Kent doing his tricks again.

His numbers haven't been impressive but he's got the attributes to play in the premier league. So quick, skillfull and two footed. Just needs to make sure he doesn't end up like Ibe or Adama Traore. He reminds be a bit of Zaha actually, who's only just putting it all together now at 24.

Think he's one we should hold on to for as long as possible, with his pace and ability somebody is always going to throw a good chunk of money at you for him even if he doesn't make it here.

11. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I thought something along these lines. One more first team winger for senior team is a must but considering how our players are prone to injuries and bad luck, Kent might be kept here next season to provide competition for Mane and the new guy, with Ojo going out on loan, hopefully to a PL club. He's too tricky for his own good but I guess that's better than having no skill at all. If he listens, coaches will hone his ability and teach him to use his skill more effectively. His work rate is fantastic, especially for a young, tricky attacking player.

As for his numbers, I often watch his highlights and I think he would have had three or four more assists to his name had it not been for his teammates' poor finishing. Then again, he would have also had more had it not been for his poor decision making (again, only what I could tell from highlights). I guess we'll only know Klopp's plans for him when he announces the team for pre-season.

Livvy likes this.
  12. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Couldn't he be instructed in a way to minimise the decisions he needs to make?

13. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Well, unless he bleaches his hair and starts playing left back... :-) I found it frustrating about him that he's aware of his ability but also taken aback by it in a way. He often goes after a dribble when a pass or holding onto the ball would be the better option. If he is to make it at Liverpool, he needs to improve in that aspect over the next year or so but, like ILLOK said, I don't think he will have a bad career. Even if he takes five years to improve that, he'll still have some seven years of Premier League football, though I might be overrating him as I frequently do with my favourite academy players.

costared, redfanman and Limiescouse like this.
  14. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He's got to learn how to hold and give, but do it at the right time...

He's just going through the natural learning process of a talented kid who could beat his peers for fun. At that level he could afford to make crappy decisions because if he killed an opening he could just beat his defender again, and again. At this level he has to learn how to make a defender pay when he's beaten him. He's also got to learn how to use that threat to beat him in other ways. It will take time and games. It's also the sort of thing that might not happen on a learning curve, but be more like a switch getting turned, like we saw with Sterling in 13-14. He's got talent and I'm sure he'll get the chance to push his claim in the summer. And if he isnt yet at the required level then another year away wont do him or us any harm. As already pointed out, it's only this year Zaha has started playing consistently, and Kent has 4 years on him.

redfanman likes this.
  15. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I've cooled a bit on Kent to be honest (and no it's not the usual when people sometimes get bored over a player and move onto another). Not writing him off at all, the "fan" part of me wants a player like him (ready to take on anyone, a couple of them, anywhere on the pitch... but okay son we know that) to succeed. But maybe he'd be in and around the place if he was something like Sterling (who is a top talent who's not far from being a top winger, Kent doesn't have to be top to be part of the squad here), who played some high mature stuff on and off the ball for his age. Lacked the touch sometimes and finishing aspect, Guardiola says he only lacks the simple stuff and more goals (though he's scoring and assisting very good numbers). With Kent it it's not only sort out your decisions and that's it, it's probably more to it. And of course, it's normal as he's still young. But we'll see if he can make it, improve in order to get a chance in a year or two.

16. jgw_geneseo

I can confirm that all of Barnsley's front players struggle to put the ball in the net. They are all young/learning their trade. Best goal scorer they had went to Wednesday in January. Watkins has become the elder/reliable player, but he's a bit of a jack of all trades. Can do a job wide, in the hole, and sometimes up top. Gives heart and energy, but doesn't have the knack for scoring that Winnall provided. Will score the occasional important goal for them. If they had a more reliable goal scorer his assists would surely be better.

Kent has slowly gotten better as the year has gone on, the move has been really good for him and LFC. Not sure where it puts him compared to Wilson, Ojo, Woodburn, etc, but I think at the end of the year LFC will be pleased with his play/progress, even if it only means a bigger financial windfall at the end of the day. He's stepped into a more important role after Barnsley sold their best two players in January and done a decent job (Hurrihane to Winnall was good formula, now team looking to others for creativity and goals). Playing consistently week in week out in pressure situations never a bad thing.

17. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Just realized that Kent has actually played in all but two of Barnsley's games this year, with 35 starts and 6 sub appearances in 43 games, with his minutes totalling 75% of available minutes this season.

Only one other u21 player has had more minutes than him in the Championship this season (a 19 year old who has 22 goals), so it's undoubtedly been a very successful loan spell. That said, an output of 3 goals + 3 assists all season is perhaps a little underwhelming given the amount of game time he's had.

When you look at the players we're targeting (eg. Sessegnon) and the youngsters getting game time this season (eg. Woodburn, Trent) it's clear that it takes a fairly prodigious talent to break into the Liverpool squad, so Kent certainly has a challenge on his hands.

18. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Watched the U23 match on LFCTV yesterday, Harry Wilson is coming on strong too

redfanman likes this.
  19. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Lazar Markovic just scored for Hull /1-0 vs. Watford/

redfanman likes this.
  20. CoolLiverpool

CoolLiverpool New Member

I reckon sturridge should be loaned away because he needs a break from Liverpool, he's doing to rubbish.

Ryan Fulton (Chesterfield) - until the end of the season
    Danny Ward (Huddersfield Town) - until the end of the season
    Ryan Kent (Barnsley) - until the end of the season
    Allan (Hertha Berlin) - until the end of the season
    Jon Flanagan (Burnley) - until the end of the season
    Lloyd Jones (Swindon Town) - until the end of the season
    Taiwo Awoniyi (NEC Nijemegen) - until the end of the season
    Andre Wisdom (Red Bull Salzburg) - until the end of the season
    Lazar Marković (Hull City) - until the end of the season
    Pedro Chirivella (Go Ahead Eagles) - until the end of the season
    Cameron Brannagan (Fleetwood Town) - until the end of the season
    Jack Dunn (Tranmere Rovers) - until the end of the season
    Mamadou Sakho (Crystal Palace) - until the end of the season
    Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake) - until the end of the season[/QUOTE]

21. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

[/QUOTE]

I think possibly all of these will have a decent career but the 3 I think are most likely to make an impression at LFC are Ward, Kent and of course Sakho.
    Kent,s decision making will improve with better coaching and training and playing with better players and Sakho has of course proved he is good enough and would have improved our points tally this season. I just hope Klopp is sensible enough to give him the chance.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  22. CoolLiverpool

CoolLiverpool New Member

I think possibly all of these will have a decent career but the 3 I think are most likely to make an impression at LFC are Ward, Kent and of course Sakho.
    Kent,s decision making will improve with better coaching and training and playing with better players and Sakho has of course proved he is good enough and would have improved our points tally this season. I just hope Klopp is sensible enough to give him the chance.[/QUOTE]
    You think so?

Yes, I agree sturridge has had a decent career but needs a break from Liverpool for a short while. Sakho is insane, I jolly well hope he comes back because liverpools defence can be shocking at times. Also Klopp is demanding quite a lot for Sakho so he will proberbly remain at Liverpool.

costared likes this.
  23. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

24. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Markovic goal for Hull was when they were down a man early. Clutch goal and a good finish. Still has the pace...

redfanman likes this.
  25. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

You think so?

Yes, I agree sturridge has had a decent career but needs a break from Liverpool for a short while. Sakho is insane, I jolly well hope he comes back because liverpools defence can be shocking at times. Also Klopp is demanding quite a lot for Sakho so he will proberbly remain at Liverpool.[/QUOTE]

I don,t think Sakho has an LFC future now.

redfanman likes this.
  26. RedBaron

RedBaron Curse you RedBaron!!!!

Sakho just suffered a very nasty injury against the spuds, left knee.

27. jgw_geneseo

28. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Seems like a great example of us using the loan system productively. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Canos and hand in a transfer request the moment the season's over. Hopefully hopefully he'll be able to play a part next season, particularly in the cups.

NickF likes this.
  29. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

New contract, a strong pre-season (hopefully shows improvement in aspects Klopp demands), then look at what's on the table and decide what's best for his next season. My hope for his summer.

NickF likes this.
  30. jgw_geneseo

Screenshot_20170502-121021.png Screenshot_20170502-121021.png

Conversation with Barnsley fan(s). Doesn't go to all the games but makes it to decent amount.

He also says Barnsley would like Wilson on loan next year to replace Kent. I wouldn't be against that move to get him playing regular football against men.