Loris Karius (GK) FSV Mainz 05

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Liverpool target Karius as Klopp plans goalkeeping shake-up

By Melissa Reddy

The Germany Under-21 international has already clocked up 90 Bundesliga appearances for Mainz, and has a release clause of just under £8 million

Jurgen Klopp is determined to strengthen Liverpool’s goalkeeping department ahead of his first full season at the club, and Goal understands Mainz's Loris Karius is one of his premier targets.

The 22-year-old has been impressive between the sticks for the Bundesliga outfit, whom the Reds boss managed for seven years from 2001 to 2008. He has already clocked up 90 appearances in the league, keeping 27 clean sheets in the process.

The Germany Under-21 international, regarded as one of his country’s most promising prospects, has been closely monitored by Liverpool with Klopp intent on providing proper competition to Simon Mignolet.

Adam Bogdan was recruited as a free agent in the summer to deputise for the Belgian, but he been deemed an underwhelming understudy and will leave the club at the end of the season as Klopp looks for a player to rival Mignolet rather than act as purely back-up.

Danny Ward, who was recalled from a loan spell at Aberdeen in January, is expected to spend 2016-17 on a temporary deal at Huddersfield Town.

Karius is understood to have a release clause of just under £8 million and early indications are he would be open to a move to Merseyside.

He has already sampled English football, having spent two years with Manchester City’s youth team from 2009 to 2011.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...et-karius-as-klopp-plans-goalkeeping-shake-up

2. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Nic thought you've been warned about this thread starting malarkey? Ah well Rob Green it is then...

3. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Don't know much about him, but he's one of Southern Germany, just around Klopp's corner.

The step up from Mainz to Liverpool could be a bit too big for him, so if there is any truth in this, it's likely in order to provide some decent competition for Mignolet for next season, which the club needs anyway. Could be a good deal, as he seems to have some potential for the future.

Texas Red likes this.
  4. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

The question is:
    Does Mignolet needs/wants competition?

5. Brock34

Brock34 TIA Squad Member

Yes/not relevant

6. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

He needs replacing. That's it.

7. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Karius or Horn, you can't really go wrong with either really. Both are going to cost pretty much the same price. Both are at a similar level right now. Very experienced keepers for their age.

Karius would probably have a similar settling in period as De Gea had if he came. But if the end result is anywhere near as good then it would be worth possibly having to put up with Mignolet for an equal amount of games next year.

8. Nikola

By the look of things (rumoured targets, Mignolet getting a new long-term contract), it doesn't seem that Klopp will simply buy a top goalie and put him between the sticks and bench Mignolet. I wish we got someone like Handanović or Oblak (yeah, yeah, I know) but the likes of Karius/Horn/Rulli seem to be the targets, i.e. talented young lads who would come to fight it out with Mignolet for no. 1 spot.

In recent seasons, top PL sides rotated their goalkeepers until their primary choices managed to hit good form. Pantilimon, Lindegaard, Ospina (and Cabalero and Romero to a lesser extent) were all thrust into action when Hart, De Gea and Čech performances became distinctly average. I like Mignolet but he's not a top eight goalkeeper, though he'd be a great second choice because he would always try his best to displace the first choice goalkeeper. I guess Klopp wants that healthy competition in every position, which should serve the team well. No player should have a guaranteed place in the first eleven (unless they are Gerrard or Suarez!).

I have to say that I still wonder why Liverpool never target very tall goalkeepers - ours are always around 188cm mark, no wonder we always have problems defending crosses! It seems that Karius is of that variety as well, so I hope that, if we bring him, he won't be as uncertain as Mignolet when coming off his line to claim crosses or through balls.

DanLFC and Hope in your heart like this.
  9. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

I guess it's difficult to find a goalkeeper who has everything, i.e. the size and attitude to dominate the area as well as the awareness and speed off his line to sweep efficiently. We're signing a tall defender in Matip, which should help us in the crossing department (Lovren is also good here); and then hopefully we sign a goalkeeper who can help compensate for the lack of pace in our central defence by being reasonably good at dealing with the through balls. I'm not expecting Neuer or Lloris levels - just better than Mignolet. Or maybe different is a better word. Mignolet simply isn't that type of goalkeeper; it doesn't seem natural to him to deal with stuff outside the penalty area.

What we have at the moment isn't a great setup, that's for sure. We have a goalkeeper who wants to stay on his line, a central defence with little pace; and a manager who wants his team to defend fairly high up the pitch, and be proactive instead of sitting in shape. It's fairly obvious something has to change, in terms of the combination of types in the defensive triangle.

10. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Mignolet is 194cm and it doesn't help him!

11. Nikola

It is but we should bloody try to find one for a change! lol Liverpool's people in charge have been trying to save as much effort and money as possible in certain positions (goalkeeper, left back, central midfielder), playing too smart when acquiring players in these positions, it really bit us on the arse. You can argue that we had only one decent goalie in past... I don't know how many years, possibly since Grobelaar left?

I don't think that our backline is any slower than any top 8 defence bar Tottenham's but you never get the impression that they trust Mignolet, therefore you don't expect them to play as a natural, coherent unit. The other night, that sprint against Traore which Mignolet should have won - no way would Loris or De Hea let that one slip away. If that frustrates fans this much, I wonder how it affects the likes of Lovren and Toure. Having someone without confidence issues would be a great start and if he could also add the "proactivity" element to Mignolet's shot-stopping, we'd have a solid basis for our defence. As for high balls... Well, we'd have to start not conceding set-pieces and cutting out crosses. :-)

12. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Matip is 6 foot 5...

13. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

Katie's is 6 ft 3 hardly small.

14. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I presume Nik doesnt vwant us to sign him or is starting ss many of these threads as possible to beat his curse

Persomally id go forca non German GK but it seems Klopp will go with this guy or Horn

15. Dortmund fan

16. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

I would actually consider out centre backs quite quick as centre backs go to be fair, at the very least average. We have no John Terry, Per Mertesacker in our team.

17. bazza66

bazza66 TIA Youth Team

Personally, I'd like us to sign Melissa Reddy.

Livvy and Cruyff's_little_toe like this.
  18. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Isn't she a he? :tongue:

19. Texas Red

Texas Red New Member

I saw the match when Dortmund played Mainz, he made some key stops against Dortmund. He looks like he has a good head on his shoulders, would be a good signing and a reasonable price.

20. Cruyff's_little_toe

Cruyff's_little_toe New Member

German Kicker just confirmed it. Btw, I'd sign Melissa any day! Her stuff is class.

Kicker also writes Karius should become the first choice goalie.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  21. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

If this guy signs I hope Mignolet takes the hint: Either buck your ideas up or go somewhere else.

Texas Red likes this.
  22. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Sure moving fast this transfer, according to reports in Germany (kicker generally seems reliable from what I've seen) the deal is agreed. Seems like a good deal if true, €10m mooted fee.

I expect Karius and Mignolet competing next year. If Karius performs as hoped Mignolet will leave next summer.

23. Makati Red

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  24. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I've not seen him leaning on anything at Melwood - he's no Liverpool player yet.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Makati Red

I guess Klopp will do what BR did with Mingolet and Reina, say there joint no 1 but pick Karius to start the season

What goes around comes around as far as Mingolet is concerned

26. Dortmund fan

27. Makati Red

Thats a tripple whammy to Dortmund, Mainz and Klopp, If Schalke get a real manager next season they could Finish above Dortmund as they have great players but shit managers

Texas Red likes this.
  28. Dortmund fan

Yeah, Heidel is a great sport director, Mainz was many times in EL and next season they will play in EL again.

Also it was Heidel which has given Klopp's phone number to Liverpool's owners.

Heidel build great success in the small town Mainz.

Well, Schalke offered huge money to him, what should he do? Dortmund has Zorc and Liverpool has Ayre already.

29. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Active Member

Just for one more year...

Back to the topic, this latest Karius news, is there serious traction or still more rumor/speculation?

30. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

Well if it's reported over here as well, I tend to believe this is true.
    Hopefully Karius can give us some assuredness and confidence in the box.
    This could be a very helpful signing to shore up one of the leakiest defenses in the entire top 8.

I'm sure we are gunning for at least Top 4 next season.
    Still feel we need to add another defender or two on top of the keeper acquisition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.