Loris Karius (GK) FSV Mainz 05

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Great signing if true. I especially like the fact that he's played at City, so at least he's coming to the north east of England knowing what to expect eyes wide open and with a command of English. Perhaps this gave him the edge over Horn?

Sandeep and Livvy like this.
  2. bazza66

bazza66 TIA Youth Team

*Cough*

Red Armada, Fester and redfanman like this.
  3. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Geography not your thing? ;-)

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Apologies to those west of the Pennines:-)

5. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Karius here for a medical according to Joyce

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...e-Medical-Anfield-Switch-Transfer-News-Gossip

Loris Karius arrives in Liverpool: Mainz goalkeeper set for medical ahead of £4.7m switch
    LORIS KARIUS has arrived on Merseyside and will today undergo a medical ahead of sealing a £4.7m move from Mainz.
    By Paul Joyce
    PUBLISHED: 11:19, Mon, May 23, 2016 | UPDATED: 11:33, Mon, May 23, 2016

Loris Karius has been capped at U21 level by Germany
    The goalkeeper, 22, will be expected to challenge Simon Mignolet for the No1 jersey next season.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has already recruited Marko Grujic and Joel Matip and Karius will become his third signing.

Liverpool's summer transfer targets
    Thu, May 5, 2016

Klopp is still hoping to plunder his Germany connections by persuading Mario Gotze to move to Anfield from Bayern Munich and also Mahmoud Dahoud to join from Borussia Monchengladbach. Dahoud is Liverpool’s first choice to boost their midfield, ahead of Poland international Piotr Zielinski.

Karius and Gotze share the same agent – Volker Struth – and talks are ongoing over a deal for the World Cup winner who has been told he can leave Bayern.

redfanman and Steve_LFC like this.
  6. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Echo reporting it now as well.

Side note: funny how both Neil Jones and Paul Joyce are saying now that Dahoud is Klopp's primary target.

7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Hopefully it's true. Not against bringing in Zielinski as well, but if it's a case of either/or, then based on just my limited knowledge, it feels like Dahoud is more the player our midfield needs.

Steve_LFC likes this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Now that this looks imminent, question for our German contingent:

First impulse, who would you have picked for LFC, Horn or Karius?

Sandeep likes this.
  9. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

Both :D
    Karius played a slightly better season, but they are on the same level and very similar in many aspects.
    The reason why I favourred Horn for such a long time was that he has a €9m-release clause, while it seemed that Karius has none.
    Mainz is a very tough negotiating partner, so I expected them to at least want around €15m for Karius, or more.
    As it seems now, Karius has a release clause, too. According to German media , this clause is €10m, due to English media it is €7m.
    So with Karius and Horn on the same price level and the same level as goalkeepers, Klopp's Mainz past might have had a little influence on the final decision, with people still loving him there. Or Klopp thinks Karius is just much better.
    Horn also said he would just leave for a special club, and named Manchester United amoing them, about two months ago. I don't know if he is aware of the ManUnited-Liverpool rivalry (many Germans aren't), but if this is the case, this might be the last piece of the puzzle.
    But we also don't know if Liverpool ever contacted Horn at all.

Just a question to my English friends, was it right to write on the same level in this case, or would it have been at the same level?

Kanonkop, Fester and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  10. Zinedine Biscan

I'd have written at the same level, but your meaning was still clear the way you wrote it. It's quite a minor grammatical point, I would say.

SoftGerman and Kanonkop like this.
  11. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

In the context of how you used it and for day-to-day conversation I would say that you could use either; using 'at' would probably be slightly better though but its no big deal in this case! :-)

:well done:

SoftGerman likes this.
  12. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

You've used "on the same level" twice so not sure whether you're asking about both instances. For ability/performance which is a bit more general I would use "on the same level". For price, which is a value that can be determined, I would use "at the same level". As the others have said though they can both be used interchangeably without any confusion.

SoftGerman likes this.
  13. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Cheers for the info, seems like a good signing, Nivea will be delighted as well.

redfanman and Steve_LFC like this.
  14. ShadesOfRed

ShadesOfRed TIA Youth Team

He's in the German Olympic squad so is set to miss the first 3 weeks of the season.

15. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

Both

16. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

I like the Karius signing... More important in that article is Dahoud being first choice over Zielinksi...

17. Zinedine Biscan

But would one be content to sit on the bench?

18. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

None of them would like to make the bench.
    I think, Karius wouldn't sign for LFC to be on the bench. If I was Karius I wouldn't sit on the bench and stay at Mainz and play Europa-league. I think Klopp made him clear to be rated above Migs as #1.
    I think Mignolet is not als bad as many fans assesses him. Otherwise I mean Karius is despite his age the better GK. Shot-stopping nearly the same level, commanding and footballplaying minimum one level above Mignolet.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  19. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Karius has taken a decent look at Mignolet and said to himself that he is the better keeper and it won't take long to displace him.

redfanman likes this.
  20. Zinedine Biscan

Sure, but I was talking about if we were to sign both Karius and Horn (as you answered both to my question ;-))...

21. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Well, at least this one sounds less prekarius and more likely to go through

22. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

I hope he will be back from Olympia fit and not injuried.

23. SoftGerman

SoftGerman Well-Known Member

No
    We won't sign both anyway.

24. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

This is a brilliant way to do business. Especially for a keeper.

- get Karius in and keep Mignolet on the books. Send Ward on loan.
    - start the season with Mignolet, and get ready to bring on Karius once Mignolet's form goes
    - once Karius has the first team spot, Mignolet drops to the bench and provides cover
    - next season Ward comes back from Huddersfield ready to be number two and Mignolet is moved on.
    - if either Karius or Ward hasn't stepped up, then we can go into the market again.

schmee, Kanonkop, SoftGerman and 3 others like this.
  25. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

The problem with Mignolet usually isnt his goalkeeping when hes switched on, it mainly that he often has a brain freeze once every 3 games. Its only a matter of time to the next error. He'll do something stupid, flap at a cross, get beat at his near post, let a low shot roll underneath him.

All Karius needs to do is not do something stupid. He doesnt even need to start pulling off wonder saves to prove himself as No.1. By simply not doing something idiotic every few games, that attribute will put him head and shoulders above Mignolet.

26. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Exactly.

27. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Looking forward to seeing how Karius plays. We may not see him for a few months though as I believe he's in the German's Olympics squad.

28. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Can't judge the player yet, but didn't think he would be so 'cheap'. Hopefully he can prove to be the better starting solution as soon as possible.

29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Goalkeeping department, fixed. Now let's move on to find another centre half and a left back. Then our back line will be sorted for next season.

30. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Please don't be crap... Please don't be crap... Please don't be crap... Please don't be crap... Please don't be crap... Please don't be crap...

Mark Thurgood, Dave-D, OLDIE and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.