Lucas Leiva (CB/DM) Gremio (loan to permanent)

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by StrongINTheAir, Dec 27, 2016.

1. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Of course, what you're saying makes perfect sense and I'm certainly not being adamant that he must be given a coaching role. Having said that, there aren't many players who would want to stay at the club where they've spent most of their career. Many would want to move on for new challenges and possibly more money than they would get if they stayed. And, of course, Lucas hasn't said anything about wanting to move into a coaching role with the club; it just seems reasonable to assume that he would want to.

So, given that not many players would want to stay on after their playing career is finished, why not try to accommodate those that do want to stay? I may be wrong here, but I believe it's kind of the done thing with German clubs to find coaching and backroom positions for former players. Isn't Bayern Munich particularly known for this?

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

There are cost involved, so if Lucas says he is willing to hang his boots up and learn coaching in the club for a nominal or no fee at all, I don't have an issue. If the player is really that good in his in game management when he was playing, then the club will certainly retain him after he retired. As long as he is not retiring and wanting to have a playing contract while learning the coaching trades, I think it is best he does it elsewhere for now.

3. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Also there is no surety that it will work out. Look at Sami Hyppia's managerial career. His understanding of the game was far better and he himself is a far better player than Lucas. But almost all of his team's got relegated, even in piss poor league.

Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  4. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

Call me a romantic but id like Lucas to stick around. Bit of cup captaincy and a fallback if there's an injury crisis, by all accounts he's a huge figure in the dressing room and with the younger players. I'd pay him 50k a week for him just to do that. Depends if he wants to play regularly I guess.

5. lfc.eddie

You'd pay a babysitter cum cheerleader £50K a week? Because from what you described, it sounds like you want him to be babysitter cum cheerleader....

6. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

I've changed the wording back to something less child like. But yep, not my money.

7. lfc.eddie

Yeah that's the spirit....

SoueysTash likes this.
  8. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Quick - call Gremio and ask them whether the offer stands still.
    On serious note - he is always been a loyal servant to the club.

9. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I actually think that's the first time it's been Lucas deciding to stay. The other half a dozen or more times its been the club deciding we weren't being offered enough to bring in an upgrade. Considering we don't seem to have been offered what we paid for him yet that's an understandable stance by the club. I'd say the "loyal servant to the club" bit gets massively overplayed. I would however sing his praises on his 100% professionalism to always give everything he can for the club whilst he has been here.

10. lfc.eddie

A bit of an exaggeration there don't you think? Inter wanted him for loan spell, Galatasaray wanted him on loan too last summer. When was the other time or clubs that showed concrete interest other than again Galatasaray wanting to take him on this summer, but he wanted his wages to be paid in good old British Pound and the Turkish club says no go. Half a dozen times or more?

11. Anfield rd Dreamer

Found four separate occasions since 2014 without much of a thorough look on Google. Are you saying he's not been linked away practically every transfer window?

Last winter;
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inter-milan-eye-deal-liverpool-12373423

Summer 2015;
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/10/lucas-leiva-leave-liverpool-brendan-rodgers
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/liverpool-besiktas-admit-defeat-pursuit-reds-midfielder-lucas-leiva-1517502

Jan 2015;
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-midfielder-lucas-leiva-set-4967540

Summer 2014;
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ng-former-midfielder-lucas-leiva-9586595.html

prest likes this.
  12. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Ahh the Lucas thread,a place where we agree on fuck all.:unhappy:

13. lfc.eddie

Half a dozen or more you say? Napoli and Inter was a loan deal, not exactly a sale.

14. Anfield rd Dreamer

Which was kind of my point, loan offers did not give us what we paid for him or upgrade him within the squad; "I actually think that's the first time it's been Lucas deciding to stay. The other half a dozen or more times its been the club deciding we weren't being offered enough to bring in an upgrade. Considering we don't seem to have been offered what we paid for him yet that's an understandable stance by the club."

15. Libero

Libero Well-Known Member

It's kind of obvious that Lucas is the one leaking all the news... another year for the stalwart

16. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

LUCAS LATEST?

Interestingly, out of contract Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva is among their retained list, which suggests the Brazilian has signed a new deal with the club.

from SSN

17. prest

prest Member

I wonder what the truth is here. Is he out of contract? I thought he had a year left. Hasn't he been working on a move to Gremio?

Edit: Indeed out of contract. Hmmm.

18. Klopptinho

perhaps we have just retained him on a rolling contract rather than straight releasing him.. been there too long to show him that kind of treatment ?

19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

This has come up regularly throughout the season. Thought it had been confirmed his contract actually expires next summer.

Scott Jones likes this.
  20. prest

prest Member

That's what I thought too, but Transfermarkt has him out of contract at the end of June.

21. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Given the confusion I suspect that he's out of contract at the end of the month but that there is an option to extend for a further year. That would explain the confusion - whether that option has been exercised or not...don't know but the fact he's on the retained list suggests he's still under contract.

22. Klopptinho

i wasn't aware of the regularity .. he's in the retained list with an asterix against his name .. i should have scrolled to the bottom to find out what that meant.. but .. i didn't lol

23. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Earlier in the season when there was a flurry of interest because of loan offers that had come in for him and it looked like the club was prepared to accept the offers, which doesnt really make sense if the player's contract ends by the time the loan does.

Klopptinho likes this.
  24. Klopptinho

i ll go take a look what the asterix meant .. and report back.

25. Klopptinho

the asterix as now disappeared . typical. everywhere i see is reporting him to be out of contact at the end of the month .. with him saying he wanted to stay to see out the 10 years. hopefully someone will have more information on it over the next few days or something will be said by the player .