Lucas Leiva (CB/DM) Inter Milan (loan to permanent)

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by StrongINTheAir, Dec 27, 2016.

1. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

There's been quite a bit floating about the possibility of our longest serving player, Lucas Leiva leaving this January.
    I just read that Klopp was rather coy about it in a recent press conference. Maybe reading the transcript was misleading, but it made it sound as if the return of Joe Gomez, and how Ragnar Klavan has adapted to the PL has seen the need for Lucas as defensive cover disappear.
    Latest link for him is Inter. I found it interesting because I looked to see if there was a thread started on this already and back in 2015 he was linked with Inter and Besiktas.
    I don't see any future for him here and wouldn't begrudge him a move if he wanted to at this point in his career. And I imagine he'd leave with more class than Skrtel did. Especially considering how volatile supporters have been to him at periods of his time here.

The question would be if it's a permanent move or a loan move. I'm wary of loan moves with options to buy from a Italian clubs as recent history shows them trying to renegotiate on the cheap after a successful loan spell, cutting their offer severely from the originally agreed upon amount.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

Not sure how much truth there is in a possible move to Inter, but I doubt it would happen in January since Matip can't seem to recover from his ankle injury and Gomez hasn't played a senior match in 2 years. I think we still need him to cover CB and Henderson's position (whatever you care to label it) so until we bring in senior cover for both or Gomez is truly ready to be 3rd choice in case of injury, Lucas will stay. It's his last season and I think he'll see out the duration, hopefully helping us pick up silverware along the way.

FGred and Libero like this.
  3. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

He has become that utility player for us. I don't know if he is much cover for us in Hendos spot since we have a lot more options there. It's his role as CB cover that makes him more valuable. But he doesn't set the world afire with great performances there, so maybe Klopp has seen enough from gomez to determine its worth going with youth to let them develop there, rather than someone as far along in their career as Lucas?

4. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

I doubt it re: Gomez. Klopp doesn't like to rush players back from injury or young players into the side. Gomez is probably a couple of months away from being someone you might expect to see off the bench on occasion. With regard to Hendo's spot, I think Lucas is ahead of Stewart and probably even Can there at the moment. There's been very little action for Stewart at all this season, and Can is an alternative to Wijnaldum/Lallana these days more than anything else. I think Klopp tried Can there and decided he wasn't ready or currently suited to it. I think we still need cover/competition for that position once Lucas leaves in the summer. If I had to pick one of our current CMs to cover that role instead, I think I'd go for Wijnaldum or even Milner, neither of whom has played that role with any real effectiveness in their careers to this point.

5. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

You need a link to a reliable source to start a new thread here.

redfanman and boston red like this.
  6. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

@ptt, OP might be referring to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38442433

Hmm, bit of a conundrum this one. Lucas' deal expires in the summer so any loan fee would probably be worth less than the difference between finishing, say, 4th and 5th in the Prem with regards to the prize money on offer now.

Klopp's silence may, or may not, be telling here. I'd be as surprised as anyone if Lucas is still on the playing staff come July but would be equally surprised at his leaving in January given the situation regarding Sakho (who is expected to leave) and what Klopp has said with regards to Gomez's development after his long spell out through injury. I'm with @Gegen Pretzel on this one. Even if Gomez is selected against Plymouth he'll still be way short of what will be needed against Prem opposition.

7. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Not to be a spoil sport, but that link isn't exactly what we usually open threads for.

"Credible sources would be articles from aforementioned publications/journalists containing quotes from the player in question, his agent, or the clubs involved."

redfanman and lfc.eddie like this.
  8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Can't be bothered to search for URLs but Dominic King, James Pearce and Paul Joyce confirmed that Liverpool have indeed received a loan offer for Lucas from Inter, with view to buy him outright in the summer.

Most of us had already expected Lucas to leave in the summer well before Inter interest for January move was published, so this is no surprise. I guess it depends on whether Klopp thinks Gomez and Stewart can step up immediately to cover for positions Lucas occupies at this moment.

TFC and redfanman like this.
  9. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

@ Gegen regarding Gomez.

Hummels and Subotic were both just 19yrs old when they started playing together at Dortmund.

10. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

Irrespective of whether this is credible or not I think he has been fortunate to be with us for so long. Given his fairly modest skill sets I think he would have struggled certainly in recent years to get a start in most Premier league sides. He has veered from being just about OK to being a liability at times. I have never believed he was good enough for us.....or I am being unfair to him?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    lfc.eddie likes this.
  11. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

I would be surprised if we let him go, unless Gomez really is fit enough to cover. Lucas' departure would leave us with Matip, Lovren and Klavan as CB options. Either Gomez (Ilori or Sakho?) is fit and good enough in Klopps eyes, or we sign a new CB in January.

Lucas also plays an important role in terms of team morale/ethos. He's been through a lot with the club, and from what we read/hear, he is very well respected at the club and acts like glue.

I expect Lucas to start against Sunderland in the NY, as well as have a part to play in the FA cup matche(s).

I would rather we kept hold of him for now, than loan him to Inter. We always get screwed over by the Italian clubs for our players. Keep him till summer, give him his 10 year testimonial, and then let him go.

Lalo, geebo, T.C.B and 4 others like this.
  12. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@rupzzz , absolutely agree with you, Lucas is an asset off the pitch as well as in the dressing room and he has helped all the new Latin American and Spanish and Italian players settle in the North West living and adapt to the lifestyle.

I personally would want Lucas to stay until the end of the season at least.

FGred, geebo, T.C.B and 4 others like this.
  13. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

You are being unfair to him. He has been the player that made the most tackles in the PL the last decade and don't get many yellow cards if you consider the many tackles he makes. So he is probably if you look at the last decade one of the best tacklers in the PL. That he give away a lot of freekicks close to our box is a myth made up by the ones that want him gone.

14. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

He hasn't done anything on the pitch this season to deserve a spot, and I've wanted him sold for the past several seasons, but for some reason I don't think it's the right time now. Not in the middle of the season, anyway. There's no doubt he's a professional and he's also our longest serving player. We might need that experience and leadership down the stretch, especially when you consider that we're quite a young team.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  15. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

It's not only about Lfc wanting him gone. Maybe he wants to go too for more playing time and show case himself for a new contract in summer when he is free agent.

More worrying than lucas and maybe sahko going. Is who we are bringing in, in January for our stretch run. And thats if we bring in someone.

16. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

It's just occurred to me that Kondogbia is at Inter...Maybe some sort of offset deal is in the making for him and Lucas.

Scott Jones likes this.
  17. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Kondogbia links seemed a bit too tenuous, they came from the most unreliable Italian websites. Liverpool were also strongly linked with Brozović in more reliable Croatian press, however, I don't think club will use Lucas as bait for some deal, this seems a bit like what they did with Agger - they gave long serving player a send-off on his own terms, without looking to gain substantial transfer fee from his departure.

rupzzz likes this.
  18. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

According to James Pearce yesterday, Lucas's contract runs until 2018, not 2017.

19. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

I would be sad to see Lucas go but it might be best for his own career, he will not be a starter for liverpool and for the sake of game time the move might suit him. Whichever way it works out I wish Lucas all the best in his career.

Maria likes this.
  20. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

James Pearce not always right mate.... Lucas is on his final year with us, the last extension signed was in 2013 April. So I do believe his contract is up at 2017.

21. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

This should satisfy the 'reliable source' requirements:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/26/liverpool-lucas-leiva-inter-loan

The writer of the article, one Fabrizio Romano, says Inter "have been told that the Merseyside club would not stand in his way should he wish to move to Italy on loan." Told by whom is unsaid.

I think Klopp's recent positive remarks about Gomez are a pointer that maybe he's willing to let Lucas go and have Gomez as the 4th choice CB.

22. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

Lucas out Gomez in is a good swap for 4th choice. Bring gomez along slowly and get a couple of games here and there in this race. But its imperative the first choice 3 cb stay healthy. Seeing Gomez and Klavan lineup together in a big game is frightening.

23. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

Yes, but not as frightening as Gomez and Illori.

costared and redfanman like this.
  24. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

I think any time you get down to having to play your 3rd and 4th choice CBs, you'll be in trouble.

Anyway, it looks like this is the end of the road for Lucas. Maybe he makes an appearance against City here at home for a send off? A late substitution I imagine.

YNWA Lucas.

FGred likes this.
  25. scouseheadross

scouseheadross Watching from behind the sofa

Great character and great professional, I'll miss Lucas. Showed real bottle the stick he got from the crowd in his first couple of seasons. Very likeable chap, I wish him all the best.

26. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Maybe Klopp and Sakho finally manage to mend the relationship.... maybe..

Definitely short of CB if this deal went through. I means Gomez didn't even make back to the bench yet. And Lucas has played like 6 games and make another 5 subs for us so far this season

27. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Best of luck to him if he decides to leave. Not worried about not having sufficient cover in the squad - Klopp won't let him go unless he thinks he has what he needs. Stewart, Gomez; plus maybe the forgotten man Ilori, who Michael Beale spoke highly of on a TAW show recently.

scouseheadross likes this.
  28. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

? Klopp has already said Sakho has no future at the club. There is no chance that Sakho will be mending that relationship. He has still not shown any contrition - at least not publicly. He has also made comments immediately prior to games that he should be playing. His only involvement has been with U23s.

Scott Jones likes this.
  29. scouseheadross

scouseheadross Watching from behind the sofa

Gomez has impressed apparently. He was quality for us before his injury and is a much more natural fit than Lucas, who has done Ok out of position but he's not the most physical presence and slow to boot.

Think the Italian league will be perfect for him and at 29 he can still have a good spell at a second club. Can't believe it's been 10yrs..... (and what, two goals lol?!)

30. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

I wonder if the loan element is to ensure he'll be entitled to a testimonial in the summer but with a clause from inter for compulsory purchase after that.

redfanman likes this.