Major League Soccer (MLS)

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Arminius, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

http://soccernet.esp...ke-hold?cc=5901
    I would love to see Blatter attend a January Chicago Fire game, -20 C, wind blasting out to the late at 45 km/h, brilliant spectator sport.
    I presume this means the Qatar World Cup games he took the bribes for will be played outdoors in the Gulf in June.

2. duckbutter11

duckbutter11 TIA Reserve Team

MLS has a better average attendance than NBA and NHL. Blatter continues to speak before he thinks.

3. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

I would have never guessed it. I know TFC has had problems in the past with its stadium being too small at 20k. For years it was very difficult to get tickets, although I think after years of being the shittiest team in the league has finally dwindled support a bit - this past calendar year we've only averaged 18k per match while it was over 20k the previous 5 years in a row.

I had no clue that they were attracting similar attendance numbers across the league.

4. REDSkins

REDSkins TIA Youth Team

Attendances are good, I think the league overall is healthy and while the technical quality of the players is not exactly excellent, I think the league doesn't get enough credit tactically. The managers have to be a bit more clever with the tactics than some of the EPL managers do, as the quality and physical superiority of the players just isn't there.

The main problem is of course that the league probably can't ever grow as high as Blatter thinks it should. To reach a higher % of Americans would require the league to have top quality players. I would bet that in the 16-25 age group, more Americans closely follow the EPL than the MLS. MLS is more about pride in your city, and being a fan of the game itself. But people follow the European leagues because they want to see *the best* players. Same reason people overseas will follow NBA or NHL.

They tried and failed with NASL and I don't think turning every MLS team into QPR is going to be worth the expenditure either (though changing the DP system and/or bringing in more "names" can help certain teams/markets). But there are ways they can improve the league, and in my opinion it should be closer to the European models rather than further away. There is simply no point in trying to "convert" someone into a soccer follower via MLS. If they don't get excited about the players at the World Cup, they won't for MLS. This is the "soccer's a bunch of grass fairies playing for 0-0 draws" crowd and you shouldn't even waste time trying to get them on board. Cuz even if you pique their interest, once they realize the gap in quality compared to the overseas leagues, they lose interest again. Americans in particular, of course.

I follow MLS, DC United especially, but with exception to the 1990s, I spend more of my time watching LFC and European footy. Blatter is partly right, but he's also wrong re: his expectations. There is very little MLS can do to get me to follow the league as much as I do the Premiership. The U.S. is a very different beast to getting Iraqis or Nigerians to watch their own football league.

Has there been any focus from Sepp Blatter on other nations where football has a hard uphill battle? China, India...even places like Kenya? The game has grown a lot in Japan but there are not many Japanese who'd otherwise fancy themselves playing in the NHL, NFL, or NBA in the future...only competition was baseball and kendo

OhYaBeauty likes this.
  5. Upstate_Chad

Upstate_Chad TIA Youth Team

The problem with the MLS is that it does not coincide their schedule with the rest of the world. Now that more than 70% of the teams have soccer specific stadia, they really need to have the August to May schedule. They could take a month off for winter if need be. Or start it in June and end in April if you want to avoid the other sports as much as possible.

6. duckbutter11

It's just going to take time. Kids growing up with these MLS teams already in place, instead of some brand new thing that comes to town. Results are kind of already coming in, as soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for Males Age 12-26.

7. REDSkins

REDSkins TIA Youth Team

Problem with these stats is that I'd wager money that the increase in soccer's popularity has more to do with the rise of the EA-FIFA video game franchise as well as ESPNs coverage of the Premiership and the proliferation of Fox Soccer Channel, GOLTV, BeIN (again, for European footie) than due to MLS.

Would be happy if I'm wrong on that, of course...

8. duckbutter11

Yes, more people are watching Euro, but what I'm saying is people have to be patient for MLS to actually gain a hold in TV markets. I do believe it will happen in the next 20 years.

9. Arminius

I don't think it really is a problem. The current schedule keeps the MLS out of direct competition with the bulk of the basketball, football, and hockey seasons, granted with just a little overlap. But it really only goes head-to-head with baseball. The TV numbers aren't great, but they would be worse. In fact, the current schedule even keeps broadcasts out of competition with the European broadcast schedule - only reason I can recall ever watching an MLS game.

At the same time, it already does so by front-loading away games for the northern teams to avoid weather difficulties. Trying to play a winter schedule is just not viable - which winter month would you want to take off in Montreal? December through February all average a daily high below freezing - in terms of box office it would be a disaster.

10. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

NY Cosmos are building a $400 million dollar stadium. Whats a bit confusing is its only a 25k seater.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1301516/n.y.-cosmos-plan-$400-million-belmont-park-stadium?cc=5901

11. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

12. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Do they have some sort of contract banning them for saying too much about what happened in the dressing room at Istanbul? Nobody tells even half the story, which must mean there's some juicy info. Someday we'll find out... right?

13. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

Benitez said he just tried to keep them calm, talk about the game, that he was planning of taking Traore and not sending a substitute on because he thought that would tactically improve us... then Finnan got injured so he decided to bring on Hamann and leave Traore.

Then he opened the door and made them listen to the fans.

14. OhYaBeauty

15. duckbutter11

Djimi scored a worldy tonight in CONCACAF Champions League. Can't wait till it hits youtube.

fcukManU likes this.
  16. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

17. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1429886/manchester-city-owners-set-mls-franchise?cc=5901

Zoran likes this.
  18. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

19. duckbutter11

I believe Kraft is looking for options to get a stadium closer to the center of Boston.

20. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Manchester City and the New York Yankee's teamed up to buy a new MLS franchise in NY.

www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/8726468/

21. OhYaBeauty

And it has already earned my hatred.

Please don't be the Cosmos

22. duckbutter11

No, not the Cosmos. They will be called NYCFC. Looks like they'll be taking City's colors too judging by their website.

23. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

A football club can buy a football club? But... why?

My head hurts.

24. Arminius

Essentially, a promotional vehicle, possibly even a developmental site for some players. Citeh gets a team in one of the biggest potential markets in the world wearing their kit, and ideally developing shared fans. The schedules only partially overlap anyway.

25. REDSkins

REDSkins TIA Youth Team

So does no one want to talk about how Seattle have signed Obafemi Martins?

Marco Di Vaio and him are for me the best (i.e. I'd have backed the decision) DP signings in the league, in the past couple years

26. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Did anyone see that Toronto/RSL match

a brilliant goal, two red cards and a frantic finish ... Perhaps the best match I've seen this summer

27. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I watched bits of it the penalty shoot out was amusing if just for the Camera angle and the rather poor dives.

28. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Brilliant stuff from the "MVP" from that match, Aurelien Collin. You might remember this chap from his stints with footballing powerhouses Gretna, Panserraikos, Wrexham, and Vitoria Setubal.

A goal in a naff game, in a rather naff league, now bigging himself up to head back to Europe to a "top" team? Cheeky bugger! Why not expect to be France's captain in the World Cup while he's at it!

29. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I love the fact that he says his game is best suited to England and Germany but then angles for a move to a rich team in....

France.

Tit.

30. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Watched Timbers/Whitecaps in early August. packed house at JeldWen, 35,000+ fans. Enjoyable to say the least.

It may not be BPL/Serie A/La Liga but it's close to home.

I will never respect a pro match held on turf though. Hate it with every bone in my body, literally. Not the same game.

If I have to play a full 90min league match on the stuff I ache the whole next day.