Major League Soccer (MLS)

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Arminius, Dec 31, 2012.

1. duckbutter11

duckbutter11 TIA Reserve Team

Yeah, Collin is not moving anywhere to Europe, he's pretty average in MLS.

The next two guys that will move out of MLS for somewhat big money are going to be Darlington Nagbe and Diego Fagundez. They've already turned down offers from Europe so they can gain American citizenship

2. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

TFC is really making moves this year. In addition to their other acquisitions (most notably Defoe, but also Michael Bradley and Bradley Orr - nothing to be excited about in Europe but huge upgrade for TFC and they should do well in the MLS) we just got Julio Cesar on loan. Exciting times, the supporters here deserve it given how much love they have for the team despite them being consistently terrible.

3. duckbutter11

They're supposed to be expanding TFCs stadium to 30k and putting a roof over the fans as well.

TFC likes this.
  4. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Camilo gone to Mexico to play. Caps will feel that loss

5. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Long time coming, the stadiums been a huge issue for awhile now. Despite how terrible we've been year in and year out, its consistently sold out and difficult to get tickets because the stadium was just too small.

6. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Does anyone know where you can buy MLS kits in England?

I'm after a NE Revs 13/14 jersey but all the internet seems to offer is away shirt or women's shirts or extreme sizes (xxxxs/XXXXL) and all for paying more in shipping than the shirt costs.

You'd have thought in this day and age that you could pick up a medium or large home kit for standard price from a UK supplier.

7. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Why on earth would you want that?

8. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Because I like New England Revolution and I like their home shirt?

9. SoueysTash

SoueysTash Moderate Mentality

10. cw37

cw37 New Member

Zat Knight from Bolton is meant to be joining a Club in this League. They must be very desperate. The Wanderers fans cannot wait to see the back of him.

11. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

That's the away kit. That page has no home kits. This is the problem I'm having. I don't even mean the new, new kit which is out on March 4th. I mean this one that's already been out a year. I just don't understand why it's so difficult to find one in the uk without being a ridiculous size or having to pay through the teeth.

[​IMG]

12. duckbutter11

First game of the season is about to kick off. Favorites for this season have to be LA, KC, Portland, and NY. Outside contenders are New England, Houston, and Dallas

13. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Defoe started off the season well today, scoring a brace to win against Seattle. 2-1 with Dempsey scoring for the other side.

I hadn't realized we got Dwayne de Rosario back. Was pretty pissed off with TFC when we traded him, he was my favorite MLS player by far.

14. CJ_LFC

CJ_LFC I am boss!

I'll never understand why Americans put those ridiculous names at the end of their club name like "New England Revolution". "Chicago Fire", "LA Galaxy" and the "Colorado Rapids".

It sounds really corny and cringe worthy. I'd hate that to happen over here, why not just name them Chicago FC or Los Angeles FC like what we do in Europe.

The "San Jose Earthquakes" is even worse. :lol:

Nah, in all seriousness though I don't really follow American Football. Struggle to find a connection with a club in that league.

15. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

It has its origins in the emergence of professional sport in North America against a background of very popular collegiate sport - for example, in the earliest days, 'Chicago' would have been the University of Chicago. The emerging teams/clubs differentiated themselves by formally adopting the previously informal collegiate tradition of team nicknames, which was not that different from the English practice. The MLS is simply following that pattern.

In any case, about the stupidest name in the MLS is the one that doesn't use that pattern....'Real Salt Lake'.

OhYaBeauty, CJ_LFC and Ataturk like this.
  16. CJ_LFC

CJ_LFC I am boss!

Fair enough.

17. Ataturk

Ataturk ★★★★★

Yeah, imagine team names like Leeds Rhinos, Salford Red Devils etc. Cringeworthy.

18. Semmy

ManU Red Devils, Arsenal Gunners, Stoke Potters...how absolutely rediculous, huh Liverpool Reds fans?

How hypocritical can you be, really.

TFC likes this.
  19. lovepool

lovepool New Member

They are all nicknames not the actual names of the clubs

20. Semmy

Your point being? North American sports teams have all had names associated with them for 100+ years. Because they're not European they're not acceptable?

Rugby does the same thing. NZ All-Blacks?

21. CJ_LFC

CJ_LFC I am boss!

Nobody is saying they are unacceptable, I was just pointing out that they sound really corny.

22. lovepool

lovepool New Member

My point is saying English clubs are named in a similar way to MLS franchises is incorrect. Man Utd are not named the Man Utd Red Devils but in America Chicago Fire, for example, is the actual club name.

23. Semmy

I have a tournament this weekend to play, plus a league game. Hoping I can find time to watch either game. I cannot see Vancouver dropping that game, but they'll be hot/cold again this year.

Some interesting turn of events with Golden Boot winner Camilo from last year. He moved to a club in Mexico without resigning with Vancouver, ended up that the club in money trouble and apparently he's not playing anywhere.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03/03/mls-official-camilo-would-have-to-go-through-allocation/

24. duckbutter11

The MLS teams shat the bed tonight against the Mexican teams in Concacaf Champions. Still a ways to go

25. Semmy

Unfortunately, football in North America (excluding Mexico) doesn't get the exposure or support due to competition in the market here. MSL is trying to complete with the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA for the revenue streams, which is why you are seeing some teams being positioned into markets which lack other pro Sports Teams.

Portland (NBA), Salt Lake (NBA), Vancouver (NHL), Columbus (NHL failing team), Kansas City (MLB), San Jose (NHL). Because the NBA and NHL plays winter and MLS has a summer schedule, it's why we are seeing the expansion into those markets.

But honestly, it's just not the draw for talent that Europe has. And I don't think it ever will be.

I'm a football fan living in Vancouver, and have only been to 4 Whitecaps games since the team's inception back during NASL days in the late 70's.

Going back to the comment earlier about the team names not being just "Vancouver FC, or Portland FC"...it doesn't market well here. Consider that Vancouver's dominant sports team is the NHL franchise, if you start talking about "Vancouver's result last weekend" without the football context people will mistake you for talking about hockey. It's the demographic environment here, which is why everyone just refers to them as 'Caps or Whitecaps.

Hope that makes sense.

Jason

26. duckbutter11

Yes, I know all about the MLS' struggles against the Big 4 sports. I was just commenting that it's disappointing that the league is still so far behind the Mexicans

27. TFC

TFC TIA Squad Member

Interesting report came out a few weeks back that among the youth in America MLS is now more popular than MLB. Probably says more about how boring baseball is than anything else though :-)

28. Semmy

Equivalent of Ice Hockey in Europe, no? on a different level here, we have the best league but the teams import players from around the world. Same for Football in Europe. Has the best leagues but many imported players to the top teams/leagues.

Apples and oranges, I know...but primary focus of sporting attention draws a parallel.

29. Semmy

Blame the soccer moms.

Actually...encourage the soccer moms...:-)

30. CJ_LFC

CJ_LFC I am boss!

New England Rev fucking piss me off.