Major League Soccer (MLS)

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Arminius, Dec 31, 2012.

1. RedCanuck099

RedCanuck099 Well-Known Member

I've given up on the MLS. The comissioner has no idea what he's doing. The guy keeps expanding thinking it will improve the league when really it's just diluting it. Has a league-run team called Chivas USA that solely targets Mexican fans in Los Angeles. They average a nice 3,000 attendance per game. Oh and we don't have 'international breaks' and the World Cup takes place right in the middle of our season. Such a fascinating league.

2. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

I've never been able to get into MLS. The only game I have gone to was Real Madrid vs LA Galaxy. The quality just isn't there. I may occasionally watch a playoff game, but that's about it.

I think they should get rid of the draft and salary cap. This isn't an American sport and the low wages are holding this sport back.

3. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

I've adopted the Portland Timbers as my MLS team. They've got a black holding midfielder who I swear looks and plays like Lucas Leiva and they allow some big mad bastard to wander around the stadium wielding a huge fucking chainsaw while the match is in play. Mental!

4. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

So local Liverpool fans are going apoplectic about Gerrard playing for LA. Suddenly people who never had an interest in MLS are now watching it intently. And I don't get it, I genuinely don't. I mean yeah, Gerrard is a legend for us, etc. etc., but he's moved on. Plenty of amazing players have worn the jersey and moved to other clubs - I don't remember many Reds suddenly buying Newcastle jerseys when Keegan went there. Or flying out to Turin to stalk Rushie when he went to Juventus.

darkvoid likes this.
  5. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

its multifaceted.

one of those facets is something you probably wouldn't grasp as you grew up in close proximity to the English premier league.

but in the 80s and early 90s it was very hard in Australia and (from what ive been told on here) and America to watch any English football, so its a novelty still.

its like living near the beach....you might never actually go there...but if you are always only a few hundred metres from the sand....

the other facet, is in my mind more a reflection on society and the cult of celebrity.

6. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

True, but most of the people losing their marbles over it are fellow expats. Again, not slating Gerrard's decision to come here (well, still would rather have seen him do one year at Anfield in a supporting role and then bowing out closer to the top rather than chasing the dollar) and certainly not doubting what he's done here. Dunno. I mean, Kaka came over as well as Lampard and Villa, don't really see Chelsea fans flocking to New York matches, or Madrid/Brazil fans suddenly being massively into Orlando. Just a bit of a weird bin-sniffy vibe to it.

darkvoid likes this.
  7. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Oh man... Didier in Montreal. I generally seem to get to a couple of games a year, now I'm definitely looking forward to seeing one.

8. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Anyone know why Gerrard didnt play last night? The last I read he had been selected as a commissioner's pick, I then turned the game on and he was no where to be seen.

9. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

I saw Stevie play for the first time last night. Cool as a cucumber. Also saw someone with a This Is Anfield sign sitting at a table pitchside only a few rows from us. Wonder who that was.

Whomever it was, saw us wearing our Gerrard shirts and waved hello. LOTS of LFC jerseys spotted in the stadium watching the match. I would guess 500 people were at that match to watch Gerrard

10. DEVGRU

DEVGRU Banned for the umpteenth time

LA are out?

11. deucalion

deucalion sprechen Sie Kloppo?

Matt likes this.
  12. Limiescouse

Went to City's opening game yesterday and watched 90 mins of frustration. We had an early goal disallowed for offside that not only didn't look offside but for which the lino didnt flag until after the ref had disallowed it. They got their CB sent off early for 2 bad tackles on Larin. Within 20 mins they had taken the lead and got back on level playing terms after we picked our own red card. We had all the ball but were playing such uninspiring football that it wasnt a surprise to go down 2-0. We decided to leave in the 90th minute to beat the rush (60,000 attendance with an infrastructure not really built for it). Final score = 2-2

The missus was pissed.

13. FritzWalterndCatfishing

FritzWalterndCatfishing everythingkrauterthaneveryoneelse†ripmrkilmister†

:yawn::yawn:im so sorry yanks but mls soccer is such an crappy, event. maximum upper class 3 bl, or leugue one.
    watched some games @ eurosport and i was always to be put to sleep :yawn::yawn:

darkvoid likes this.
  14. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Man City are just as unlikeable even with a different set of fans and Pirlo.

Sky coverage is irritating as well as the coverage is focused more on the teams and players that are familiar to uk based viewers. It's understandable but would be better with more informed commentary.

I think MLS has the potential to be huge but I don't think it will ever be fully realised. But that's not surprising when it's competing with most or all of NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB in most states where there is an MLS team.

15. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

They are, but that may actually be a good thing. MLS can use a team everyone hates, very appropriate that it is one connected to the Yankees. The LA Galaxy just have not managed to translate their spoiled wealthy child status into either enough success or enough 'unlikability' to be genuinely hated. So many MLS teams are much of a muchness, fairly interchangeable personality, but NYC seem to be developing something new - and not really because of Pirlo.

Chewbazza likes this.
  16. Limiescouse

There was a report a week or so ago containing anonymous comments from the players about the league's most over rated players and coaches. NYCFC rated very highly - Pirlo, Lampard, Mix and Vieira.

17. kingoftown

kingoftown Really good aimer.

Portland: image.jpeg

Kopstar and Chewbazza like this.
  18. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

The commentary team on Saturday night on sky were quite amusing, quite clearly the pundit next to the commentator loathed the commentator (and who wouldn't his jokey comments were worse than Michael Cole if you know who that is). After the first half of ignoring most of the banal stuff he then took him up on stuff with sarcastic remarks.

I hope Sky put them two together again.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  19. Semmy

I love Portland. Attended a match at Jeld-Wen a few years back. They seat 40,000 and sold out that day. Good fans too

The fella wearing the ROGUE shirt knows what's going on. Awesome brewery/distillery, my favourite

20. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Bloody Gerrard, ruining my dream of an Istanbul-style comeback against LA Galaxy.

21. Semmy

was at this game. Ouch!

[​IMG]

22. Never Say Never

Never Say Never To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Late to the party, but I LOVE the NYCFC and RBNY rivalry. Those two teams genuinely hate each other. I could watch that "Derby" all day

23. Semmy

And NYCFC with Villa, Lampard, Pirlo get knocked out of MLS Cup on 7-0 aggregate by Toronto FC.

LMFAO

24. FritzWalterndCatfishing

FritzWalterndCatfishing everythingkrauterthaneveryoneelse†ripmrkilmister†

25. Division

Division Member

Both Lampard & Gerrard are leaving their teams. Wonder what the youth set-up is in the league? No point to continue buying European players towards the end of their career to appeal to the more fickle fans who will forget about the team after a handful of games. Improve the overall standard starting with the youth structure and you will build something sustainable.

26. Limiescouse

The MLS has some problems in that it is a hodgepodge of approaches taken from American sports (Franchises, no relegation, unbalanced schedules leading to a post-season) and more traditional football approaches. For a sport that has the draft youth development has always been a challenge (why spend time and money developing players if someone can else can draft them once they are old enough), but they have made big strides in the last 10 years or so of developing the system to develop your own players. Orlando City has a cracking academy that is really giving great opportunities to local kids, but that has contributed to us having a young side that missed the play offs. NY Red Bulls have probably the best academy, but as they are the Red Bulls (challenging for the title pretty much every year) the kids barely get a game.