Mamadou SAKHO: 2016/17 (on loan at Crystal Palace)

Discussion in 'First Team' started by Nikola, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Very nice article @Nikola, Sakho seems to be a very down to earth person and li get the impression , he has mellowed and learned his lesson and is rather reflective about his future and willing to accept where his destiny (kismet) will take him. That drug ban was awful and now we know the truth, the official's ruined a season of his career Imo, I hope gets some sort of compensation.

After listening to Klopp''s pre-match press conference yesterday, I get the feeling the Klopp's stance has softened on Sakho's situation, but he is keeping his cards close to his chest. I am very hopeful for Sakho, that he will be back in a red shirt soon.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

It seems that everyone has their own version of the truth - I'm yet to see it reported fully.

3. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

It all depends on two key issues on whether he is going to be back or not. Klopp may have been the manager but he certainly isn't the only decision maker in this situation. Offloading Sakho is not going to be as easy if we are firm with our price. So far there has been rumour about us wanting £30m for him, and if Van Dijk is worth £50m, then Sakho at £30m is rather cheap. So I can't see FSG would allow Klopp to sell him off on a loss, and Klopp himself doesn't believe in selling players on a loss, Benteke is the best example.

So if nobody can come close to the £30m price tag, and Southampton not willing to do a trade with Van Dijk + £10-15m, I don't think many clubs will be able to afford him. I certainly don't see Palace stump up £30m for a centre half, and there is no way any team in Italy, Roma or Napoli would pay £30m for him either. We might just see him wearing our red next season.

Second part is whether Sakho himself wants to leave if clubs like Palace come for him. He said it very clearly he is ambitious. Palace doesn't give him the platform to go into the European stage for sure.

Both hands need to clap, if Sakho not in fvour of the offered club, he won't go. The club can't do anything but keeping him on the bench or out of the team (which will be silly, even for Klopp). If he wants to go to Roma but can't afford to pay for him, the club won't let him leave.

westcoastbias79, Maria and ILLOK like this.
  4. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

Long thought this, above all else, is why Klopp won't have him back. Being late, missing overseas meetings, being goofy..I think those were the straws that broke the camel's back. The real trouble, I think, was not telling the team you're taking a substance, with paid professionals on staff to monitor and guide that sort of thing, and people who could've checked with UEFA beforehand to make sure it was okay, or find some substitute if it turned out to be a gray area drug. And then missing a critical Europa game b/c of it? Reckless and unprofessional. When that news came out I was like, "ohhhh"

Anyway, wish he could come back, but don't think he can unring that bell. Get 30m for him, apply that to another signing. Melissa Reddy's saying we're interested in Koulibaly at Napoli. Top 5 CB in Europe IMO. Figured Chelsea or Pep would land him. Hyped that we're looking at proven talent and not just works-in-progress/bargain buys for this window.

5. westcoastbias79

True. Roma's got money and Champions League, they're big spenders now. But I have no idea if Sakho'd be interested in any other club interested in him. Thiago's getting old and got exposed against Barca, PSG might be interested in having him back. I don't know if he's on the level where a mega-rich club would pursue him tho.

6. lfc.eddie

The biggest transfer move in Italy last summer was Juventus buying Higuain, Roma's most expensive purchase last summer was Gerson at £14m, and the biggest move they have made so far was £20m for Iturbe. And most of them are attacking players, so I don't see them putting out £30m or even £25m for Sakho.

7. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

i think he'll be gone for 20-25 and we'll put it towards getting ourselves a different CB

8. lfc.eddie

I have a bit of faith in our suits to push for more than £25, because Chelsea rated Ake at £15m and Sakho is twice the defender he is.

geebo likes this.
  9. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

@lfc.eddie I think mentioned it in Sakho's transfer thread. We've changed our stance on selling players, from being pushovers (Please, take the player and give us what you feel is fair, we just want rid!) to adopting a much harder stance. Given that Klopp isn't operating in a completely autonomous situation, he may very well be here next season if no club matches our valuation, or if Sakho doesn't get an offer he feels is the right fit. (I strongly doubt that even if Palace stumped up £30m, he'd want to stay there).

lfc.eddie likes this.
  10. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I strongly doubt it. In a world cup year there is no way Sakho is going to consign himself to the U23s again. If our reading of Klopp's stance is correct, then I dont see a scenario in which he is here next year, no matter how bad the market becomes for CBs

westcoastbias79 likes this.
  11. westcoastbias79

Didn't know the numbers were that low. Still, the new American guy has money and he'll spend it. I guess I'm thinking more about them refusing to sell on a couple players last year (Salah, Nainggolan) vs. actually buying anybody. The point may be, I see them spending 25/30, I don't know if they're dropping that kind of dough on MS.

Another thing: we know Sakho cause we watched him all the time. I don't honestly know what the rest of the football world thinks of him in 2017, especially outside of the PL bubble.

12. Limiescouse

Milan and Inter would be the two clubs to make eyes at in Italy. Both under new, or realtively new ownership who allegedly intend on spending to build up the squad.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  13. lfc.eddie

Very true, but then again if he is to be bought by a lower tiered teams like Palace for example, he might not even get sniff as well, especially if they can't get themselves out of the bottom half or finished close to the relegation zone.

14. westcoastbias79

Googled it, looks like France has a couple games in June. I hope Sakho plays, chance to get his visibility up with Euro clubs. Worst case scenario - the summer's ending, nobody's interested in the guy other than like West Brom and Palace, and they won't (can't) pay more than 20 for him. Everybody loses.

15. Limiescouse

France now have about 10 CBs realistically competing for probably 4 spots. It's going to be a slog for him to fight his way back into contention regardless of how high a profile the team he plays on is, but it sure as hell isnt going to happen with him playing 20 games in a season for our kids.

westcoastbias79 and lfc.eddie like this.
  16. lfc.eddie

In that case he'll have to choose his next club very carefully or beg the shit out of Klopp to give him a chance to show how good he can be with Matip.

I am not a big fan of Sakho, won't even call myself his fan, but I would rather him than Lovren. I worry about Lovren's lack of focus and junps into challenge too quickly.

17. westcoastbias79

I like the guy, wish him the best. He was a positive force in the dark days at the end of BR's run. He needs to get more comfortable with the ball at his feet obviously. I thought I cared about that more, then we started dropping points over silly shit and I realized, more than any other quality, I like defenders who can defend.

18. garth

garth ♫♫♫♫♫

The Guardian article was really interesting — he says:
    "If I wear the Liverpool shirt again I will gladly. I have three more years of contract there. But if I have to stay at Palace, I would do that gladly too. I’m happy, I feel good here."

I do buy into the argument that Klopp probably felt like he had to make an example of the first one to goof off, to let players know that they need to take the game/team seriously. But then surely it's also good to make an example of the first player who goofs off, then works really hard to come back and maintains a good attitude, to show that that's what counts? I'd love to have Sakho back, as I really don't think VVD is 20m better than him.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I would like to have seen him come back but there is no evidence Klopp will welcome him back though. His recent comments about the player sound more to be polite and perhaps push his price up ("yes, he's playing really well at Palace - well worth the 30m we are asking for "). All the comments from the trusted journalists are all pretty clear, the club want to sell.

garth likes this.
  20. legalalien

legalalien The Tweetherder

He certainly pissed more than a few people off yesterday. Not only the celebratory handshake with Benteke but also a confrontation with a fan, according to this:
    1. Tom Reddo‏ @ReddingReal 8h8 hours ago
      A fan few rows in front of me confronted sakho about his celebration and sakho was offering the fan out and said he didn't care!
    2. Tom Reddo‏ @ReddingReal 8h8 hours ago
      Security guards had to break it up and sakho was laughing! Bloke is a tool glad I witnessed it as I wanted him back! Not now
    If true then it's goodbye Mamdou. Of course, it's goodbye even if it's not true.

Iluvatar and lfc.eddie like this.
  21. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Hopefully this will now stop the people choosing this muppet over Klopp and the club. Never was in question for me, no smoke without fire, he's not even that fucking good.. Yesterday showed any central defender looks OK defending behind 2 banks of 4, with wingers tucking in to support the very deep fullbacks, and central midfielders making a wall in front.. Get him 1 v 1 as our system does, he gets exposed just like Lovren does.

RedSeven and AnfieldCat like this.
  22. AnfieldCat

AnfieldCat TIA Squad Member

Can't stand the knob anymore, I always sided with Klopp over him because I don't believe he would have been frozen out for being late once but that celebration yesterday was a foolish and quite clearly planned act of defiance. Never want him near the club again. And he won't be.

23. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Why was he even on their bench yesterday (as only a member of the club on the day)?

Cologne-Liverpool and lfc.eddie like this.
  24. lfc.eddie

Exactly my point. I cannot remember when was the last time a loan striker sitting on the bench on their travel days. They usually stay back and not travel with the team since they cannot play against their home side. To see him featured on the bench itself tells us he has an ax to grind against the manager, and now the club.

25. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

I was seething seeing that although that was more in frustration at the concession of the goal rather than him in particular. Then I got angrier, and angrier at the Palace team, at Benteke for morphing into fucking Aubameyang or something having been a donkey at Anfield while playing for US, at Sakho for being a twat and celebrating a goal against us in some fucking dickhead routine he'd probably had to rehearse like 50 time and Allardyce for being in charge of it all.

But really... Sakho probably isn't gonna be here next season. He knows it, Klopp knows it and so should we. He gave the big up yours in his own way as I definitely would if I left my company in acrimonious circumstances soo... ja, let him do whatever and not get overly upset about it as annoying as it looks.

26. Kopstar

Normally when he isn't included in the match day squad for a game at Anfield he just walks out.

Stirring Sakho - worst reading yet on the Kloppometer.

27. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

@Wyld@Heart

I can understand your anger. But don't worry...
    Benteke will never morph into an aubameyang type player :-)

28. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Hold on... so, shaking Benteke's hand after him scoring a goal is worthy of hate and despise now? I didn't see it myself, as my stream got laggy at that moment, but surely, shaking a team-mate's hand after a goal isn't something worthy getting one's knickers in a twist about? Have I missed something else there?

29. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

I used to do this in the playground... https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpo...his-celebration-with-christian-benteke-122815

Hope in your heart likes this.
  30. Kopstar