Mamadou Sakho (CB) Southampton, Galatasaray, Spurs

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by kipland007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Don't think anyone wants to see this here but seems pretty likely now...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...outcast-mamadou-sakho-could-be-offered-escap/

Exclusive: Liverpool outcast Mamadou Sakho could be offered escape route with loan move to Stoke[​IMG]
    Mark Hughes is keen to bring in Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho CREDIT: AP
    24 AUGUST 2016 • 6:02PM

Mark Hughes is ready to offer Liverpool outcast Mamadou Sakho an escape route with a loan move to Stoke City.

Hughes has made an inquiry for the French centre-half and is hopeful of concluding a deal before the transfer deadline.

Sakho is free to leave Liverpool on a temporary basis after falling out of favour with manager Jurgen Klopp and Stoke have asked about his availability.

Klopp ordered the 26-year-old home from Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the United States for disciplinary reasons, while Sakho has missed the start of the season with a heel injury.

It was the latest controversy in a difficult year for the defender, after he was initially banned for failing a drugs test before Uefa exonerated him during the summer.

Liverpool have stressed they have no plans to offload Sakho permanently but want to arrange a loan move in order for him to build up his fitness.

After Liverpool’s win over Burton Albion in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night, Klopp appeared to suggest that Sakho was available.

“I'm happy that I don't talk in situations like this. Everybody who needs to be informed about this has been informed about this,” he said.

“There are no secrets with the important people, I would say.”

Hughes is determined to bring in defensive cover, with Stoke conceding four goals against Manchester City on Saturday, and Sakho has emerged as a realistic target.

Stoke have endured a frustrating summer, with only Joe Allen and Ramadan Sobhi arriving so far, but want to make at least two more signings before August 31.

They have received no encouragement in their pursuit of Manchester United’s Phil Jones but are continuing to monitor Saido Berahino’s situation at West Bromwich Albion

Hughes has admitted a new forward remains a priority. He said: "That's an area of the side we want to improve and we are still in the market to try and bring in a player of quality.

"There's been times, not only here, but in seasons gone by, where we lacked the killer element to our good play.

"There are a lot of good things we do up to a point, but we just haven't got that final ball."

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Uhm, £30m perhaps?

redfanman likes this.
  3. kipland007

As a comment: this move makes absolutely no sense. Klopp must be incredibly confident in the ability of our defenders to stay fit as we basically had a crisis of depth last season and have actually reduced our numbers since then.

2 senior fullbacks in the squad, 3 senior centerbacks. Absolutely insanity, especially since Matip is almost certainly going to the AFCON this winter. Joe Gomez is around but still isn't fit and that's a lot of pressure to put on a youngster who hasn't played a minute of competitive football in almost a year.

If we do bring in another player, then that will at least give us some cover but I also don't see why a loan makes sense in that instance. Perhaps "short term" is really 1-2 months? It would seem strange for Stoke to agree to that and not sure if it is even legal under the current loan rules.

4. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Allen is there already.

5. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Joe Allen was sold to them, loans are a little different.

I hope its not true :-(

6. Dortmund fan

The manager obviously plans to buy one or two new defenders (probably 1 x CB and 1 x LB) or one new defender who can play in both positions.

7. NIDINGR

NIDINGR Death by heavy metal.

Sakho seems like a genuinely nice guy who spends a lot of his time helping poor African kids and decorating houses on Breck Rd or whatever, but do you think there may be a possibility that Klopp thinks he is an annoying fucker to work with?

8. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

IF this is true then Klopp doesn't trust him anymore, and then it makes no sense to work together. Really sad but Klopp wouldn't do this normally without an important reason.

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  9. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I guess Sakho would return for the time Matip would leave as I guess loans could only end in transfer windows.

I'd expect we are looking to bring someone in if this happens. Doesn't make sense with our injury situation otherwise, he stated when Klavan came in that he wanted cover in each position and that would mean 4 CB's who are challenging one another.

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  10. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

If this happens then surely we have another CB coming in? Maybe Mustafi?

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  11. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Lucas and Gomez will be the 4th and 5th options at centre back then, unless the links to Mustafi or Martins-Indi have something to them.

Not a move I agree with at all but I'm not going to worry too much about it either.

12. Dortmund fan

Yes, especially if the player is fans' darling.
    But we will never know the reason, Jürgen usually doesn't talk with the media about players' mistakes.

Livvy likes this.
  13. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Well Gomez played at left back before he got injured so maybe that is what Klopp is looking at.

Perhaps a CB that is flexible is on the cards, it's happened since we sold Benteke which would suggest it could be linked to a move.

14. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Matip is unlikely to leave in Jan unless something changes dramatically. Cameroon appointed a new coach in Feb and he refused to call up Matip for this first squad, publically questioning the player's commitement to the team. He has yet to play under that guy.

15. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

This is a joke, right?

16. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

Would be a stupid decision if this is true.

LFCRisingAgain likes this.
  17. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

A head scratcher for sure. I can understand the Manager sees and knows more than we do but surely if Sakho is leaving then another centre back must be coming in?

18. afrikana

afrikana TIA Squad Member

Madness

19. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

All of this seems very "un-Klopp" to me tbh. There's got to be more to this story than we know of.
    Nevertheless - not getting any replacement would be extremely risky, clock is ticking Jürgen, really hope something will happen in these last few days...

Clive and Maria like this.
  20. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

So klopp brings in two new CB 's and a new GK and wants to send sakho on loan, hopefully when Karius takes over in goal and matip settles down with lovren or Klavan we will stop conceding 50 pl goals a season, I'm right behind you Mr Klopp.

21. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Tbh, I am not in favour of Sakho going out on loan, our defensive section is already quite thin. I am not sure why Klopp has sanctioned this, it doesn't seem logical to me. I can't believe he is still upset with Sakho, Klopp already told him off by sending him home during the pre-season tour. It is a very bizarre decision by Klopp and I don't agree with it tbh.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  22. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

To be honest, I actually think this is a good move for Liverpool.

Sakho let us down badly at the end of last season.....very badly.

He then messed around in pre season and was sent home.

He is being bombed out and I applaud Klopp for his bravery.

We MUST have a replacement in mind, be that from within the club already or by buying a centre back.

Klopp is nobodies fool and will have thought this out carefully.

Sakho is a liability to Liverpool, very much over rated

SirBillShankly and OllieRed like this.
  23. Dortmund fan

Come on, during the big clear out after his first season in Dortmund some BVB fans were unhappy as well. Nobody likes if his favorit player leaves.

OllieRed likes this.
  24. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

something has happened between klopp and sakho and i guess the relationship is unsalvageable, which is really unfortunate....

25. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a link showing when Klopp or the Club stated he can go on loan (hoping not to see one)

spizfromoz likes this.
  26. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

I'm not a Dortmund fan, so you know better about this. Not sure if the situation Dortmund was in at that time really is comparable to LFC right now. And this is a loan deal...

Scott Jones likes this.
  27. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Don't like the sound of this at all. If it happens, it happens, not a lot we can do about it. But I hope it doesn't.

28. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Not a big fan of Sakho so don't mind if he goes but we will need a replacement, doubly so since Matip doesn't fill me with confidence either.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  29. kipland007

It is one thing to question the talent of Sakho - personally I feel that he would be worth keeping and is talented enough to be a starter for us for many years if he finds some consistency, but that is sort of a separate issue.

For years FSG have talked about getting their business done early and not being put in bad positions in the transfer market (similar to how we sold Carroll before buying a replacement and then couldn't negotiate for one). If we had bought another utility CB/LB prior to this, then it is one thing. But the thinning of our squad is, at best, negligent on the part of everyone involved with the club. I have not been one to question Klopp very much during his tenure but if we do let go of Sakho and don't bring any more defensive reinforcements (which seems very possible) then there have to be real questions asked about the wisdom of this. It'd also be another thing if we hadn't loaned out or sold off all our young defenders, but I am really struggling to see how we'd cope with even 1-2 injuries to our back line. Even the best managers can't completely plan around injuries but to conduct our transfer window as if we won't have any injuries during an entire season is just insane.

30. fergieman

fergieman Member

Klopp is laying down the law as I see it. The sending him out for fitness is spin. Something has defo happened and Klopp wants him gone for the short term. However, if Sakho goes and no replacement is brought in , I would be worried.