Mamadou Sakho (CB) Southampton, Galatasaray, West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by kipland007, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I have no problem Klopp booting out Sakho for gate crashing his TV interview in Alcatraz this summer as the manager that is his right to work with whoever he wants to even if he kicks out easily one of the top 2 CBs at the club and not forgetting Matip had injury problems at that time. My issue is he never replaced him with the same quality and if he had we would probably already be in the CL and challenging for the title

What I think is wrong is some posters, one i can think of being his strongest ever supporter now deriding Sakho as not very good just to support the manager.

I think its quite possible to support the manager and his decision without deriding one of the best players at the club and make no mistake about it to replace Sakho will be very hard indeed. In the PL I can only think of VVD who is better.

So support the manager but no need to diss a player who loves the club he will never play for again

2. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Matip is head and shoulders above Sahko and I rate Sahko. When you watch the games from the stand and you watch Matips positioning and anticipation it astounds me how good it is. Sahko can have immense games where he's an absolute beast but he's also prone to have absolute horror shows from time to time that you know Matip could never have. Sahko also had a habit of getting caught under the high ball or letting it bounce, Matip is far more commanding in the air but you'd expect that at 6'5. Unfortunately both players struggle with fitness issues

SirBillShankly, big noyd and Livvy like this.
  3. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Matip isn't soft, he constantly outmuscled Deeney against Watford, who is one of the most physical forwards in the league and bullied Sahko last season and he did the same to Costa at the bridge. I struggle to name a forward who has bullied Matip. The problem we have is getting him and Lovren on the pitch together, I think people forget we are unbeaten when they've started together

SirBillShankly and Livvy like this.
  4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sakho looks good because he (like Skrtel) excel at the "last ditch defending".. Which is great if you play for a club that defends deep, in numbers and throwing your body on the line or rushing out to close down doesn't make a massive gap behind you (due to having 10 of your team in your own box etc.) The problem is when you then ask them to push higher up, read the game, become 1 v 1 defenders they struggle because for all the heart and desire their in-game intelligence isn't that high.

Question for all those clambering for Sakho back.. Has he improved at defending corners/set pieces? He was terrible tbh.

5. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

6. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I believe Sakho has learned his lesson the hard way, 'give him a final chance Juergen, please'.

eng.amohd likes this.
  7. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

So how do you feel about Firmino's recent drink driving conviction?

Hope in your heart likes this.
  8. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

As ever the truth is in between.

A better defender that Lucas and Klavin, absolutely, he is strong, quick, good in the air and can pass. Both physically and technically he looks a top player. However he is seriously let down by poor positioning, poor decision making and an unconventional style that exposes him to injuries. I fully accept he can look a world class in the right team, but in a team such as ours where we attack on the front foot, his positioning and decision making become exposed.

To frequently in the past our defence was panicking, performing last ditch tackles and generally conceding poor goals. Sakho was part of that problem, not part of the solution.

9. T.C.B

T.C.B Well-Known Member

I have a big soft spot for Sakho and to be honest would have kept, used and then sold this summer rather than loaning him out. He has to be a better option than Lucas or Klavan. That said, I would love to hear what really happened and what Jurgen really thinks about the player and his digressions.
    All seems immaterial now because its unlikely he will play for us again I feel. Maybe Jurgen will change his mind.....who knows? But in the meantime I hope he continues to perform well and makes our position as his selling club stronger.......anything north of 25M is great business IMO.

EDIT The post directly above by ISMF sums the situation up perfectly re Sakho's playing style here.

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  10. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

We all know that was Bodgers inability to coach a defense. If we use your logic then Lovren is just as bad.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  11. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of that but I don't think he's particularly good in the air, certainly not as good as Matip or Lovren and I think he's slow rather than quick

12. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of this. And while I believe Sakho is a great CB I don't believe he is world class. However you and a few other posters seem to keep blaming Sakho for our whole defensive issues somehow to point out how Sakho was a bad player. Keep seeing others saying the line about how many goals we conceded as a team and now you're pointing out positioning and being caught out in wrong place. The fact is defences work as units with cooperation from keeper and midfield. The issues we have had predate Sakho and still exist after Sakho I'm not sure how people can blame him. We will always be a team with weaknesses when we set up in such attacking formations. It's a sacrifice to make for high scoring exciting football. There have been (and still are) much worse players within the defensive unit that should take more responsibility than Sakho for performances of the team. You could stick any world class defender you like in a struggling defensive unit with glaring issues throughout and he would look shaky too. Sakho and Lovren and now Matip and Lovren are two partnerships that make (or made) us look dramatically better than any other line up. If we'd had them 3 for majority of games this year there's a good likelihood we would have played more controlled than we have and therefore been tighter at the back.

RobLFC likes this.
  13. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Yeah, I dont know where this idea comes from. When Klopp signed him one of the things he cited was that our CBs werent good enough in the air on the first ball and that made us vulnerable to long balls pumped up the middle as a way of evading our high press. Matip was his solution to that, and this was a conclusion he reached when we had Sakho in the side.

redfanman and Livvy like this.
  14. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Agreed, Matip deals with this sort of thing well. Unfortunately Klavan is awful at it.

redfanman likes this.
  15. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Board aren't going to say no to Klopp, especially if the player has let the club down.

16. redfanman

The squad is already unbalanced.

17. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

I honestly don't think sakho is the solution that a lot here seem to think he is. He is a good defender and would be a great option but i do not think he would drastically reduce our goals conceded column, I also do not think he is the right foil for Matip. Matip is a good ball player, he can step out with the ball and play a pass, beside that I would like to see an out and out bully, a Vidic type player(except when he was against Torreslol) but a defence first, no nonsense type C.B. And a leader, anyone know a C.B. like that who would be good enough?

redfanman likes this.
  18. redfanman

I think Tompkins highlighted this in his article on us struggling against lower placed teams who go aerial on us.

19. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Sakho is much better than Klavan and Lucas. How much of a points swing he'd have won/cost us is impossible to say, but he's definitely are far better centre back than those two. That's all anybody is saying really.

Sakho's main weakness is in the air, we've brought in a player in Klavan who has the same issue but hasn't the quality in other areas Sakho has. It's a clear downgrade.

20. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

But you surely don't think that this is addressed now? Seeing Lovren and Klavan making panicky last-ditch tackles or clearings, when not being 100% clueless (like what happened last Saturday at Stoke, and on countless occasions before) makes me think that if Sakho does indeed gets booted next summer, the club will have to make really serious efforts to bring in a better CB. Not an easy task by any means...

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  21. Limiescouse

The insane Greek lad whose knee keeps coming off. He's got the rosy cheeks of a 40 year old fat guy playing his first sunday league game in 10 years and tackles as enthusiastically as it as well, but I love him.

redfanman and James H like this.
  22. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Kyriakos papadaupolos, I think that's how you spell it

James H likes this.
  23. Limiescouse

...opoulos

My boss is one of those of the Angel variety so I had to get used to the spelling.

redfanman, James H and NickF like this.
  24. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Problem is he's injured more than the CB's we've got

James H likes this.
  25. Limiescouse

It is a problem. He has only played 30 games in a season once since 11-12 and had a couple of bad knee and shoulder injuries since then, but they allegedly got to the bottom of the latter one with a surgery earlier this season and look to be fit and in form at Hamburg now. It wont happen, but he is a beast in the air and would be a real crowd favorite for the way he plays.

26. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

Liverpool were linked with him years ago weren't we?

redfanman likes this.
  27. Limiescouse

It seemed like we were very close at one point, and then he had a season ending injury and it understandably fell apart. While I have kept an interest in him since then we havent really been linked again.

28. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

He is a beast, bit like a Greek Carragher!

29. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

We should sign up the master pig of the universe that is available on a free transfer in the summer. Then we would get an excellent leader. He is still a very good defender.

30. redfanman

Yes, that was a strange time. Both Ayre, the player and his club were all openly looking forward to the deal going through and the price was almost agreed and then the lads knee went.