Martin Škrtel (CB) to Besiktas

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel set to seal £5.5million move to Fenerbahce

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel looks set to seal a £5.5million move to Fenerbahce.

The Reds are ready to accept a bid of 7million Euros tabled by the Turkish outfit and give the long-serving centre-back permission to discuss personal terms.

Skrtel, who captained Slovakia to a 2-1 victory over Russia in Euro 2016 on Wednesday, is surplus to requirements after eight years of loyal service at Anfield.

The 31-year-old centre-back dropped down the pecking order following the appointment of Jurgen Klopp last season and is keen to take on a new challenge in order to secure regular first-team football.

With new signing Joel Matip arriving from Schalke and the threat of a long ban having been lifted from the shoulders of Mamadou Sakho, Skrtel’s opportunities would have been heavily limited next term.

Skrtel’s agent revealed on Tuesday that the player was considering offers from Fenerbahce and Wolfsburg, as well as a potentially lucrative move to China.

However, Fenerbahce, who were also keen on signing Skrtel last summer, are the clear front-runners with an agreement now in place between the two clubs. Liverpool did business with the Turks last summer when they allowed Lazar Markovic to join them on a season-long loan.

The deal is set to be completed after Skrtel’s duties at Euro 2016 are complete.

Skrtel made 320 appearances for the Reds following his £6.5million move from Zenit St Petersburg in 2008. However, he struggled with both fitness and form last season. He made just four starts following the turn of the year and was an unused substitute in May’s Europa League final.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...tin-skrtel-set-11479274#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  2. Rattlesnake888

Rattlesnake888 Well-Known Member

Those Turks love signing players who are over 30 from the Premier league. Cheers lads.

redfanman likes this.
  3. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Fine deal for us considering his age and wages. Great!

4. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

Great deal!

5. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Bye bye Martin.

:cry:

6. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Bit early for Christmas. 7m. What are they smoking over at Fenerbace?
    Anyway, I always liked Martin. Good luck son.

7. AllinOne Sports

AllinOne Sports Member

Looks like we might've made a profit on Skrtel even though he was well below average the last few seasons...not too shabby

8. AYBGerrardo

AYBGerrardo Well-Known Member

Whatever you think about his ability now, the guy's been a tremendous servant for us for many, many years. Leaving at the right time with no fuss further demonstrates his class. Thank you, Martin, a true red! YNWA

9. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

Fantastic deal for us.

As I said earlier in this thread I greatly appreciate the professionalism he's shown in his time here and I thank him for that.

However I've been dying to see him sold for years now. Being a good professional and from all accounts a nice person is not any reason to keep a player who has been a liability for a long time (unless we play in a manner where he's given very little responsibility).

Anyway, all the best in the future Martin. I hope you've a great and successful time in Turkey.

10. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Good servant for the club if not quite the top centre back we've needed for so long. Good time to move on, good price and good luck to him.

11. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Active Member

Excellent deal as everyone has said. What has been most welcome for me was how no negativity or ill will was permeating from Skrtel's camp and from the club. Quiet, and professional compared to the last year's notable transfer.

12. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Good fee for us and a decent move for Skertl. Decent servant to the club if lacking in true quality. Hopefully Lovren and Matip can improve on the goals scored from our defense. Also hope that they score in right net....

13. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Glad he's gone, got seriously tired of watching him. We were never going to build a stable defence around such a limited player, as shown in our last 4 seasons.

14. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

This move will leave us with Sakho (suspended for who knows how long...), Lovren, Matip and Gomez as nominal center backs. I don't expect us to retain Ilori at this point.

Expecting the worse in Sakho's case, we'll have two senior center backs at disposal next season, and one rookie who has proven nothing at this stage.

That's surely not enough, is it? Or am I forgetting someone?

15. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

Good luck to Martin, he has done himself proud, and given all he had when asked. I hope he has a good few years in their first team.

16. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

But........Sahko's NOT suspended!

Or am I missing something??

17. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Fantastic deal for us. And I'm glad Skrtel is getting a deal he wants - despite being obviously nowhere near good enough, his professionalism and dedication to the club can't be faulted.

18. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Yes you are! Lucas!!!

Joking aside, he is actually a more than competent CB as we saw last season.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  19. rab

rab Well-Known Member

Seriously now, I know this is the Skrtel thread but can anyone definitively explain the Sakho situation to me. It's been about seven weeks since it initially came to light, he's been on a self imposed ban for four of that, was declared available for the Euros and not picked but has there been a clear statement to say he definitely isn't going to receive further punishment?

Surely the club need to know in order to plan for next year but it does seem to have been left somewhat ambiguous.

20. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Rumours are we are on the hunt for another young CB..

Hope in your heart likes this.
  21. Hope in your heart

He will be shortly again, when the procedure by UEFA is resumed. And the ban could be up to two years by looking at similar recent bans having been handed out. Hopefully not though, but we have to prepare for the worst, and the club as well obviously.

22. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Chris Bascombe of the times suggested that Liverpool are actively looking for someone in addition to what we have at CB.

23. Hope in your heart

Yeah it will probably be necessary. Shame, because without that likely suspension, we'd have been fine like that...

24. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

norwegian wood likes this.
  25. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Really? I thought it was done and dusted and there would not be any retrospective ban.

I'm all for us bringing in another CB, Skrtel, Toure and almost certainly ilori won't feature.Will be interesting to see if we go for a young player with potential or an old experienced head.

26. Hope in your heart

Yeah, that's why I was a bit surprised that Kolo was released. He could still have been handy for us. Hopefully the club won't regret letting him go.

27. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

I think Kolo wanted to go, to be honest. He still wants to play, and with the arrival of Matip and the return from injury of Gomez, along with Sakho and Lovren, he won't get the playing time he's after.

I'd like to see him return as a coach or an ambassador when he retires from playing.

28. rab

rab Well-Known Member

If Sakho gets a lengthy ban (say 12-24 months less time already served) is there a possibility of the club sacking him and suing him?

I can't see FSG taking kindly to paying someone who is suspended for that length of time for that kind of offence.

29. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Sometimes wonders happen.

Well, 7m more for shopping or for infrastructure?

30. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Surely they wouldn't have to pay him full salary?

If it's a year you'd have to think it'd make financial sense to keep him around and sell him later on.

I'd hate it if the club sued him, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.