Naby Keita (CM) Red Bull Leipzig

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Enough smoke around this move to warrant it's own thread. Take it away...

2. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Ubermick is torturing us tonight.

This guy and Brandt are my #1 and #2 choices for us this summer. Unfortunately, and in contrast to Brandt, I see this one as being a bit unlikely. Would be a cracking signing however if we were somehow able to pull it off.

4. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Can't see this happening.With his health concerns plus Leipzig not wanting to sell I don't think he'll be coming.I want us to sign someone a good few inches taller than this guy.

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Why?

6. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I said a few weeks prior to him being linked with Liverpool that he was one guy I would like Klopp to sign - a too logical signing, which means it's not likely to happen, eh... I think his future lies a bit further forward on the pitch but he is young enough, who knows which role he might end up playing. He has bundles of energy and is decent with the ball, knows when to get stuck in, can play a pass or two, he's really quick at that - something we lack, especially against packed midfields. At his moment, I could imagine him lining up next to, say, Wijnaldum and Lallana as much as next to Henderson and Lallana. Wijnaldum's signing really gave us an improvement over static Can but this guy is a level or two up on him in that regard.

I think that this signing will depend on two factors: whether Klopp really wants him as his primary target (in which case, I doubt FSG won't back him financially) and whether he and his advisors can be convinced to leave CL-bound Leipzig for Liverpool who are outsiders for that fourth spot. Let's hope he gives a call to Mane prior to making any decisions!

RobLFC and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  7. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

Because of how shite Kante has been since coming into the league.

redbj and Scott Jones like this.
  8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I think it's more a team thing and our overall lack of height/ability to win the ball in the air. Tompkins suggests that might be why we have struggled against the lower sides.

9. lfc.8

lfc.8 Well-Known Member

I've seen Leipzig play a few times this season and Keita has impressed. He's played well and would be a good addition to the team. Also a player I somewhat expected our club to look at closer and perhaps look to sign.

Early doors yet but this might be a bit of an acid test for the club. Leipzig are on the rise, they will have champions league next season, that along with no apparent need to sell. Will the club do enough to push this through. Big clubs usually find a way in getting these kind of deals done.

10. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

It's a fair point but it'd be incredibly daft to turn down a genuinely excellent midfielder for this reason (if that's what he really is). I'd take Kante ahead of Matic or Pogba or Xhaka for this Liverpool team without even a shadow of a doubt.

Neither Milner or Clyne are good in the air (especially Clyne), I'd be looking at fixing that particular issue through our full backs. Klavan isn't very tall either for a centre back so that doesn't exactly help whilst Lucas, as good as he is at timing his jumps, is only 5'8. Getting a full back in who is close to 6 foot and can do what Klopp wants from his fullbacks would be a game changer. What's Rodriguez doing these days?

Brandt is another definite target and he's 6'1. Grujic is 6'4. We will surely be looking at another centre forward, if it's somebody with a bit of height then we're adding height everywhere really.

redfanman likes this.
  11. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

12. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I dont think so but we will see ....

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  13. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Skeptical that we'll get him - not that Leipzig won't sell, but I don't think we have the nous to pull it off.

As to them saying he's absolutely not getting sold... if I had a dollar for every time I heard a club sell that a few months before the player was packing their bags, I'd be able to assemble a team of Pogbas. (How glorious would that be...?)

14. SirBillShankly

I just think we need taller players.Have you read the excellent article by Tomkins? I totally agree with you on your opinion of Kante, of course I would love him in our side but surely there must be a decent CM out there that's available who can do a similar job to Keita who is also 6'+? Someone along the lines of Strootman, N' Zonzi, Bakayoko or Kondobgia? All massive guys who do a similar job to Keita.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  15. Zinedine Biscan

All those players are DMs, but Keita isn't. He's more along the lines of Lallana or Gini in terms of where he'd play.

16. SirBillShankly

Oh, reading the above posts I assumed he was meant to be Kante MK II??

I would still like a big, proper DM and move Hendo up the pitch, he's wasted as a DM I think.

17. Zinedine Biscan

I think there's two discussions going on, one which is just referring to his height rather than where he would play. Like I said elsewhere, I think there's room in the squad to recruit him and a big DM (though he'd need to be able to play a bit too), though it really is highly unlikely we'd get him anyway.

18. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Again, I wonder what will Bayern do next season in central midfield with all these runners and mainly defensive type of players... and then this morning there are some quotes from Kimmich already who is not satisfied with game time.

19. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

What is the position of this lad on the pitch? Same than Kanté?

20. Zinedine Biscan

Look up...

21. Zinedine Biscan

For reference, this is him in action:

Is a box to box player, quick, creative and gets decent number of goals, whereas Kante is a pure DM.

22. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I agree with your description of Keita but I don't agree with your description of Kante. Kante is a lot more than a DM, imo.

23. Zinedine Biscan

I just don't think it's a useful comparison here and needs to be put to one side. Kante is defensively minded and is there to provide a solid platform for the more attacking players, Keita is one of those more attacking players. Kante rarely scores or assists, that's one of Keita's strengths.

I get why he was brought up because of saying you don't need to be a giant to succeed in midfield in England, particularly when your style is dynamic and aggressive, but people seem to be taking that and running with the idea that Keita is a DM, which he isn't at all, to the point where some have said they'd give him a swerve because they want a DM of greater physical stature.

We clearly have room in the squad for both.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  24. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Kante is in Mascherano's box, more of a sitting destroyer but someone with energy and enough ability to keep things flowing. Keita seems more box-to-box, maybe a better version (potentially?) of Ramires.

norwegian wood and Kopstar like this.
  25. Hope in your heart

I don't know this player at all, but why this hype around him? After all, the Austrian League is hardly a very exciting or competitive league? He might be good for RB Salzburg, but is he really good enough to instantly improve us in midfield? Has anyone seen him play live yet?

26. Zinedine Biscan

He plays in the Bundesliga for RB Leipzig, who are currently 2nd behind Bayern despite having a very young team, far smaller budget and no stars. He's one of the major reasons they are where they are.

redfanman likes this.
  27. Kopstar

That's a good comparision Zoran - Keita and Ramires that is. I think Kante is more than Mascherano although I'm finding it hard to draw a proper comparision with anyone (that's more to do with my brain than necessarily that Kante is unique). The thing with Keita is that I would really like Coutinho to drop deeper and then you'd have him and Keita operating in similar areas doing similar things (Keita not as good at the creative dribbling aspect but Coutinho not as good at the harrying/disrupting aspect) and whilst I think you can easily accommodate someone who is 1.71/1.72m (about 5'7") in that area of the pitch I don't think you can accommodate two.

28. Hope in your heart

Ah, my mistake... thanks for setting this right. Now I understand the hype... :-)

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  29. Zinedine Biscan

We're already doing just that with Lallana and Gini, though, aren't we?

30. Kopstar

Hope, he's at RB Leipzig now - has been playing in the Bundesliga this season. I've only seen him live once (he had a poor game) and on the highlight reels where he looks much better (natch).

Hope in your heart likes this.