Naby Keita (CM) Red Bull Leipzig

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ubermick, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Will we get him?

1. Yep

2. No chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I guess it's always possible they might lose the qualifier while the window is still open...

Though I think that would cup tie him for our CL games, assuming we make it ourselves.

2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

There's Hector at Cologne, but after the way last year's pursuit went it doesnt seem that misssing out on the CL (on a side that wasnt expected to make it anyway) would be the thing that makes him available

3. Limiescouse

That's possible, but I hope to god we've already got our stuff done by that stage of the window.

4. steveee

steveee TIA Reserve Team

5. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Just watched him for 55 minutes before he was subbed didnt really do much other than score a goal but Leipzig have been so much in control he didnt need to do much, what is clear from this and the Mainz game is even though he is a DM he will score goals as well

6. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Signing Keita would be quite a coup, as he'd be the ideal player to have rotating with Lallana who will also need replacing in a couple of seasons given that he's already 28.

That said, all the top clubs will probably be looking to sign him this summer so it's a tough one...

Barcelona need to make signings in midfield to phase out Iniesta (32), Rakitic (29), and Busquets (28), so I'd be surprised if they aren't in for Keita this summer.

Likewise, Bayern need to replace Alonso (retired), and Man City and Chelsea need to add a midfielder too.

7. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Interesting to note that Andre Wisdom is on loan at Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig's sister club.

That always struck me as a rather odd loan move, but perhaps it was made with a view of sweetening relations ahead of future transfers between the RB franchises and Liverpool... Hmm

Ralf Rangnick said RB Leipzig don't want to sell their players, but realistically if top teams come calling would young players like Keita or Werner really want to stay? Leipzig are after all massively overachieving this season, and their salary structure isn't as big as you'd think.

8. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Need to quality for CL first

9. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Although if we beat Palace we're 100% there, right? So maybe we can start shopping on Monday if that goes well?

10. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

At this rate we should all just tune in on the first day of every season and transfer window and then the last day of every season and transfer window and let a computer simulation sort out the rest.

Mascot88 and redfanman like this.
  11. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

can't count on hendo to be available, and though can has been better lately, he's not the same kind of stabilizing influence

ideally you get somebody who can play in front of hendo, or next to him, or in place of him. that would seem to be keita

if he wants the move, they'll sell

i m o

12. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

You rubes still watching like, actual games? Ha.

Now excuse me while I boot up this Spurs-Lazio Champions League final on FM. 1080p.

redfanman likes this.
  13. Zinedine Biscan

Interesting piece on Keita. Apparently we've been speaking to him and his people throughout this season:

http://www.footballwhispers.com/blo...?utm_source=sam-mcguire&utm_medium=affiliates

Also says that we spoke to them last summer about a transfer, but (typical us) weren't willing to match the salary on offer from RBL or guarantee first-team football. By all accounts we've now changed our tune on both fronts.

Our previous interest and regret over not doing a deal before (see also: Mane, S.) makes me wonder whether this one is more feasible than perhaps we presumed.

14. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

It does caveat that without CL it's doubtful he would come. Saying that if you offered to double his salary that may get him to consider..

15. Zinedine Biscan

Hopefully it won't come to that (no CL)!

I'm quite excited about this one again after reading that piece. Such a shame we didn't have the courage of our convictions 12 months ago... can you imagine having Keita as a midfield option this season, amid all the injury problems with Hendo, Lallana etc?

redfanman likes this.
  16. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yep, let's not forget as well we passed on VVD as we wanted to see if he could step up to the next level. We need to have more balls in the market and take a chance. We could realistically have had Keita, Mane and VVD (and Lovren but the less about that the better) years before we actually signed them and have an amazing squad.

*edit forgot Ali as well.. Man, depressing hah.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  17. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

We have known for years our recruitment team was a little crap, and the fact that the owners aren't willing to really stick their neck out to find a proper Director of Football will one day push Klopp out the door too. I don't know if it was Ayre or someone else to be pointing my finger to, but since he is leaving this summer, let's see if we stop dilly-dallying on our actual targets and sort it out once and for all. I don't think the owners will be able to dictate how much to pay a player by industry standard because there is no clear benchmark. What they deem fair may be a lot of Bournemouth players, but very little for City reserves.

18. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Hasn't Ayre left already?

19. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

To be fair, Keita was a 21 year old lad coming from the Austrian league at the time - that's hardly a trusted benchmark to guarantee first-team football to anyone. We already had Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, and Can ahead of him in the pecking order at the time, and nobody saw that Milner would be the new left back, and that Can's form would fall off a cliff. So he would have been brought in as cover for those four, with an eye for him taking over from Milner at some point.

Long gone, thank fuck.

westcoastbias79 and redfanman like this.
  20. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Alli?? I'm still coming to terms with the fact we didn't quite manage to sign Michael Laudrup, and that was 1983......

redfanman, Quagmire81 and Limiescouse like this.
  21. Limiescouse

We took that chance with Moreno, markovic, aspas, that morroccon lad, borini. That's enough money to buy a now Prem proven VvD

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  22. Zinedine Biscan

Sounds reasonable. If anything, I was mainly encouraged that we'd known about, and been interested in him, for as long as that. It shows that our ability to identify promising young players isn't as bad as we sometimes think given some of the players we do actually end up signing (less of that recently, thankfully), and hopefully means we've already done a lot of spadework on the player's side to get a deal done this coming summer.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  23. Limiescouse

I think there is overwhelming evidence that our radar identifies a ton of really good players. Our issues have been not having enough of an incentive to land the ones for whom we have competition, not making the best decisions about the ones who remain, and almost certainly dysfunctional internal dynamics that made us lose sight of acquiring what the side needed at that time

24. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

We've passed on a lot of players who've gone on to do good things - so have plenty of other clubs. Flip side though, there are players we signed that a lot of teams passed on that did well. Look at Coutinho now, for instance.

That said, for years now we've been complaining about not landing a marquee signing. I know I have - at some point every transfer window, I'll lament the fact that once more, our rivals are perusing the aisles at Harrods, while we're sniffing around the bargain bins at Aldi. Takes five minutes in the owners thread to see the club constantly lambasted for their "buying young players with promise instead of the finished article" approach.

redfanman likes this.
  25. Zinedine Biscan

I'm stupidly excited about this now. Can someone talk me down?

redfanman likes this.
  26. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

We have Grujic who is clearly world class already so we won't be needing Keita. Also, there has been no word from the ever reliable Melissa Reddy about this so it's all just wishful thinking I'm afraid! Did you not know that this summer's transfer window is already deemed a failure - hence no chance we sign anyone even half decent.

redfanman and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  27. lfc.eddie

@Kanonkop, you taking over the torch? That fella is gone, self imposed ban.

redfanman likes this.
  28. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Doesn't his name rhyme with terminator? :celebrating:

29. lfc.eddie

His first name is Prophet in Hebrew and Arab.

redfanman likes this.
  30. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

One thing about 'missing out' or 'passing' on good players for peanuts 3/4 years ago that we're now looking to pay substantial fees for - had VVD joined us from Groningen 4 years ago it's unlikely that he would have received the game time that he otherwise did elsewhere and that's enabled him to become the player he now is. It's unfortunate that he simply would not have become ready by sitting on our bench. Perhaps we could have signed him and loaned him out to allow for that development but we don't have a great record here either.

As Mick says, would Keita have been able to develop here as much as he has at RBL this season? I think we're showing signs of using the loan market more effectively but Klopp has previously spoken of his reluctance towards it. I personally think it is essential for player development and, cynically, adding value.