Ozzie Roolz!! (The AFL Thread)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SBYM, Sep 23, 2016.

1. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

It'll be a real "feel good" story if the Dogs could pull off the upset next week and anything is possible (*cough* Leicester *cough*). One thing is certain: these Dogs aren't going to roll over and wait for their tummies to be tickled.

SBYM likes this.
  2. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I thought we were in for a bright future before the start of this season, but by god we were impossible to watch sometimes, even at the start of the season when we were winning. Far too many passengers this year, particularly in midfield. Cunnington and Swallow were far below their best. If half our team goes half arsed again next year, bottom 6 looms. But if a number of our players return to pre 2016 levels, we can push for finals again.

SBYM likes this.
  3. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Yeah...I don't think you'll fall off the cliff like many are saying, 7th-11th-ish I reckon.

4. cynicaloldgit

You guys started off like a house on fire but fell apart in the second half of the season. Admittedly you faced some very tough teams, losing twice each to Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide, but you'll have to beat these sides if you're going to progress in the finals.

I'd say that the playoffs are definitely within the Roos' reach in 2017; it's taking that next step which will be the real test.

5. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

I scratch my head when people watch Aussie Rules from afar. I wonder what they see in it. My New York friend moved here after 2001 (having married an Australian thus having somewhere else to go after 9/11). He said he loved all the airial stuff, the physicality etc. He played soccer briefly he said, otherwise he was a kind of nerd-hippie hybrid.

I've gone off it. I know it's our local, indigenous sport. I get tribal once in a while, too. But I actually lost interest in the sport since it got faster. I've noticed the skills improve lately. But for a time, I thought it was all too fast and a little slapstick. Oh, and some of the rule changes since I was a kid are truly idiotic. My most hated is the holding the ball rule. You can't base a game on not taking possession of the ball. It's illogical. Took me to 40yo to lose interest mind you.

Been coaching the round ball for 10 years so my focus on that has decreased my interest in aussie rules.

Anyway, I wonder what others see in it.

6. cynicaloldgit

I think that it was the sheer disarray of it which attracted me. As I said earlier, we used to call it "Aussie No Rules" and it was the diametric opposite to the regimented, well marshalled, games of cricket and rugby we used to play at school; the lack of any obvious organisation was a major part of the appeal.

I've learnt the finer points of the game a lot more (although still not fully!) over the intervening thirty years but there's still that frisson of primal chaos whenever I watch an AFL game which I don't feel will ever disappear.

spizfromoz likes this.
  7. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Since last year in the State of Victoria where the Grand Final is held at the MCG every year, we have a Grand Final Eve public holiday. Yep. We now stop for a horse race and a football game. A Labor government brought it in. Naturally a conservative government plans to abort it when they get into power.

8. cynicaloldgit

As you should. After all, there's more to life than just business.

SBYM and spizfromoz like this.
  9. cynicaloldgit

Nearly time for the big game! If the Swans make their usual quick start, it's imperative that the Dogs don't fall too far behind. If they can remain within five goals at half time, their renowned tenacity could make the difference as the game progresses.

10. cynicaloldgit

Cracking first half. Anybody's game now...

SBYM likes this.
  11. SBYM

What a game!!!

12. SBYM

Cannot believe it...

cynicaloldgit likes this.
  13. cynicaloldgit

Fairytale stuff there. And they're still a young team- it'll be dangerous to write them off next year.

SBYM likes this.
  14. SBYM

Yep, and considering Stringer was absolute rubbish all year (including today) they have significant scope to improve.

15. cynicaloldgit

Not sure how JJ won the Norm Smith Medal, though. He had a solid game but Tom Boyd was outstanding.

SBYM likes this.
  16. SBYM

Picken, Kennedy, Boyd, Grundy...all great games.

Someone on bigfooty.com pointed out (quite validly, on reflection) that JJ provided the Dogs with all their run off half-back when they were up against it in the second qtr.

Very fair point. In any case, it'll be one of those decisions that is always debated, for sure...

cynicaloldgit likes this.
  17. cynicaloldgit

Nah; his Wikipedia entry has given the real reason.

lol

SBYM likes this.
  18. SBYM

I've checked and am lost...:?:

19. cynicaloldgit

Damn; theyve taken it down. Originally, the last line was "His hair made him stand out from the rest."

SBYM likes this.
  20. SBYM

hahahahhaaaa!!

That's exactly what I was expecting.

21. SBYM

haha

Had forgotten I'd started this.

Interesting season so far...Hawks and Swans winless after 3 weeks...WTF?!?!? North expectedly dropping off a cliff. SA teams doing well.

Carlton just beat Essendon...after Stoke yesterday I am one happy chappy today!

22. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

And ain't that the best thing about a salary cap. The AFL and NRL are no Bundesliga or La Liga. Anyone can take the title.

Unfortunately My team North may well get the spoon. But I am enjoying Hawthorns demise after years of success.

SBYM likes this.
  23. SBYM

Nah...North won't finish last. There is still quality in there.

But feck, haven't Hawthorn gone down like a lead balloon?!

24. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

I'm no footy expert, far from it, but hawthorn were that good for that long, and are such a meticulously we'll run and planned club, it's hard to imagine them hitting anything lower than 8th other than by design.

SBYM likes this.
  25. SBYM

It was such a radical thing to get rid of Lewis and Mitchell imo that they've done something to the 'vibe' of the place, for want of a better word.

He was def thinking out of the box, Clarko, and why not...it got him four flags in eight years, but he's done something to the fabric of that team and it ain't good. They'll still make a run for it, I reckon, but will finish outside the eight.

26. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

How have our performances actually been? I know we are winless, but I've been in an AFL no-broadcast country so I've missed all games bar our first so far and really dont know if we've been unlucky or pants. Maybe its for the better I've missed it?

SBYM likes this.
  27. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit with the sppon call - a bit like the post match LFC threads where we will either win the league or end up mid table.

Another big lead v Footscray only to lose by less than a kick like the Geelong match. Against the premiers North looked every bit competitive.

Still a long season ahead. Comps not won in April but it can sure be lost. Winning the close ones early season is critical.

SBYM likes this.
  28. SBYM

I watched the Good Friday game, quite entertaining in the end...

With Waite in North should definitely beat teams like Carlton and Brisbane, and maybe Gold Coast, and are a good chance against all of those other teams pushing for the bottom two/three spots in the eight.

I certainly don't think they will be wooden spooners, but could be bottom four, could be up around 10th.

It's shaping up to be an interesting year.

Ʒan likes this.
  29. SBYM

@Ʒan @Rooster

Terrible loss. So unlucky...I watched the last qtr. Your kids were great, a few of the older blokes need to take a long, hard look...

30. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I think the main problem is that we gave all our older blokes the boot before the season started! Although most of them were past it, I think an argument could be made that they were at least somewhat propping up the youngsters just by being at the club.

This is going to be a long, miserable season for us. Can't really see us climbing out of the bottom couple even if I don't think that would be reflective of our squad. We seem to be a club that can get into a mental tangle that we find hard to climb out of (like losing close ones), and when you start 0-5, it just makes it that much harder to turn it around. Can see us losing even more games by under a kick in the coming weeks.