PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Bits and Bobs' started by DeathOrGlory, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Yeah, I should think they'll have an Easter sale of some sort, maybe in a week or so's time.

redfanman likes this.
  2. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

So long to wait :((:celebrating:

3. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

Well I found out this funny website. http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/ lol

redfanman likes this.
  4. redfanman

I guess no Steam sale for Easter then :-(

Elite Dangerous is on sale, part of me wants to buy it, but i just dont know if it would keep my interest for long. Funny reading the buyer comments where people have given it a thumbs down while explaining they have been playing it for 200+ hours!!

Elder Scrolls online is also onsale and has a free weekend. I might give it a go if i get some free time as that was another game i was interested in getting but probably wont.

5. Zinedine Biscan

I daren't get into another MMO after the two years of my life I basically surrendered to Guild Wars 2, but from what I understand Bethesda has made steady improvements to ESO and it's in a pretty serviceable state now.

redfanman likes this.
  6. redfanman

Never played many MMOs. Dabbled with Guild Wars briefly and I think Champions super heroes for a short while largely because i didnt want to pay a subsciption or have the necessary hardware to play a lot of them. As a fan of Skyrim (and fallout) series i thought it might be something i would like to play occasionally. However, i think its noticeable the streamers i watch who play Skyrim dont play ESO.

7. leopoldfrank

leopoldfrank TIA Reserve Team

I'd love to play a good MMO. My first mmo was Ultima Online and, 20 years on, there's not been even one game that's come close and I'm not sure there ever will be. Players had a much different attitude then, as it was the first time they'd been in an online world populated by real people. They just wanted to interact with each other. Now, everyone ignores everyone else and googles online to find the most efficient way to 'level up'. 'Levelling-up' wasn't even really a goal then, it was an eventuality of interacting with the environment. It's all theme park bullshit now, with nothing on the line. I'd sell my left testicle for a modern version of Ultima Online.

Artrain, Livvy and redfanman like this.
  8. redfanman

Yeah, so i briefly played ESO. Couldnt figure out how to use my gamepad rather than the keyboard. So didnt stick around with it for long. If i get some more time, i might give it ago tomorrow.

9. Artrain

Damn, you said that so perfectly. Same applies for me too, except swap the Ultima Online with Ragnarok Online, my first love *eyes go dreamy*. Ever since I've been trying out new MMOs almost once per year, and make serious effort to stick with it, but my interest just drains off. Funnily enough, the only MMO that I've played for the longest time since Ragnarok is a silly little children's MMO called Wizard101, and that is because there are plenty of points in that game where you are forced to play alongside other people. It really increases interaction automatically, and the battles are long so you end up making friends with the people who you played along. Also other benefit is that since its a children's MMO, the chat is filtered and you don't get a mob of dungheads swearing at each other and filling your chat box, and you don't have to be a pro at everything you do. I'd still be playing it, except that there's really nothing to do once you finish the main questline and farm for the best gear. They keep on adding new bits to the story and extending the quest line, and adding new 'worlds' every six months or so, but it kinda breaks the play, and after one such break I just didn't go back.

leopoldfrank and redfanman like this.
  10. Artrain

Trying out the newly released Expeditions: Vikings. Its quite good. Especially those of you who like tactical turn-based western RPGs like Divinity Original Sin will probably enjoy this one too. The story is completely non-linear. There are plenty of paths and you can basically go in any direction you want. It is a decently written story too. Not too good, but not too bad. Tends more towards being realistic than dramatic. There are no fantasy elements and the game sticks with being mostly historical.

It does leave me with an odd lack of feeling though. The event that instigates your journey into the game feels very meh. Its a simple raid on your village by fellow Nordsmen. Maybe I'm getting so much used to stories featuring a protagonist having to save the world from certain doom that an event like a raid feels ordinary by comparison? But I do think that there was a lack of... something... that makes it very difficult for you to get motivated to walk a certain path. After the event, you end up having to do what vikings did, and sail out in search of whatever or whoever you think will help your clan, but the question that keeps running in your mind is, why do I need to sail out? Just because the game says "Expeditions: Vikings" on the title?

Well its a strange one, but I definitely recommend it to those of you who like the genre. There are not too many pickings for us anyway. If you've have already played Expeditions: Conquistadors, you will be right at home. And for the price, I think its excellent value.

redfanman likes this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Quite enjoying it.

Story-wise, you're told that there's a rival clan that's bigger and in a year's time the king you all swear fealty to will decide on whether they absorb your clan or not... so basically you've got a year to get richer, bigger and stronger and opt to do so by seeking allies/trade routes/plunder (depending on what you choose) across the sea, while at the same time you're upgrading your village with the various resources you find.

Artrain and redfanman like this.
  12. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

Ive been playing ultima online on and off again for nearly 7 years now. Nothing compares to ultima ha. I play on a free shard called Ultima Online Forever and its packed full of people. Its old school ultima too, none of the item based shite EA made it into. If you want to jump in I can give you everything you need. You can use one of my tamers even if were farming. PM me if youre up for it, same for anyone else who has the ultima itch. The more the merrier :-)

PS if you dont like the old graphics there is a program called sallos which makes it look smooth and nice.

13. redfanman

I'll have a look at this vikings game. I do like turn based games and if it has some village buidling/management sim bits to it as well it could be fun!

Artrain likes this.
  14. Zinedine Biscan

It should be said that the building aspect of the game is highly superficial, basically picking an option from a menu of available choices, though if you later revisit your village I think you can see slight visual differences.

It's more of an exploration RPG with questing, levelling up and turn-based combat, I would say. Which is all good stuff, just worth knowing what to expect.

redfanman likes this.
  15. redfanman

fractured butthole release date = 17 October. You also get a copy of the previous south park game with it for free i think. Pretty cool trailer if you like Southpark humour!!

16. Zinedine Biscan

Looking forward to it... the first one was fantastic.

redfanman likes this.
  17. leopoldfrank

leopoldfrank TIA Reserve Team

Yeah, I've heard of UO Forever. I might give it a go at some point as I'll have a bit more time on my hands since my work hours are going to decrease. Kind of surprised to meet another UO fanatic here. It's a pretty rare thing. Not many people have played it as online gaming was barely a thing when it was originally out.

KillerBeeLFC likes this.
  18. KillerBeeLFC

I was about 10 when I heard of it but it wasnt until some years later I got to play. No one had internet where I lived back then ha. UOF is packed, its crazy that there are still so many people playing. PM me if you want to jump in I can get you set up. You can use one of my chars even until you make one

19. redfanman

I tried playing UO about 20 years ago. Hit a snag when i had to play on the Japanese/East Asian server as that was where i was living at the time - i dont read/speak Japanese so couldnt get into the game.

leopoldfrank likes this.
  20. KillerBeeLFC

I can see why youd struggle, its a hard enough game to learn even in english ha. I think its the open world, open loot PVP that I love about it. The fact you can be attacked by anyone almost anywhere and when you die you can be looted and lose whatever youre carrying adds a level of tension when your farming or PVPing. Its honestly the most exciting, harshest and rewarding game ive ever played