Player of the Season 2016-17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Player of the season

1. Mignolet

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Karius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Milner

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Moreno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Alexander-Arnold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Matip

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Klavan

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. Lucas

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. Henderson

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Can

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. Lallana

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  14. Wijnaldum

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  15. Coutinho

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Firmino

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  17. Mane

34 vote(s)
    43.6%
  18. Origi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Sturridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

With just five games remaining in the season, we're now in the home straight. So let's start thinking about the player of the season.

Since the start of the season I've been collating the data from the post match MOTM polls, and when the season is done, I'll do some working out to see who our community thinks has had the best season for LFC - and I'll do a few different versions of this - most consistent, most MOTM awards etc. If you think there is anything else to look at let me know.

For know I thought it might be fun to take a quick snap shot of who we think is player of the season on gut feeling. We can compare this with the actual results. I've just kept this to the main lads - sorry to Makati for not including Grujic - and you. An change your vote as often as you like - I'll close this poll a couple of days after the season end.

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Really difficult seeing as most of our best performers have either been injured for pretty long spells, or lost form at inopportune moments, or both.

But I went for Mane, for adding the pace, penetration, goal threat and quality we've been missing out wide for pretty much as long as I can remember. Shame about the AFCON and injuries, but for those I think he'd have hit 20 goals this season.

Think Phil, Bobby and Lallana also deserve honourable mentions, while even Mignolet has played out of his skin at times.

Alright Now likes this.
  3. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Firmino. He almost never make a bad game. He do make a few horrible misses but he is at the same time a fantastic team player. If he can sort out his finishes then we would have one of the best players in the world. He could be our new Suarez in two three years time.

Alright Now likes this.
  4. hoosierred

hoosierred Well-Known Member Valued Member

Lots of good options. But Mane has been lightning in a bottle whenavailable this year. Our sharpest cutting edge.

SBYM likes this.
  5. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Mane and Coutinho are the two most obvious ones. Lallana, Henderson and Wijnaldum each deserve a mention in their own way for the way they make our midfield tick.

Went for Milner in the end. Easily our most consistent performer (although just about everybody else has had periods on the sidelines due to injury), a solid and reliable fullback with pretty good attacking instinct at times. On top of all of that, and especially in Hendo's absence, he's been a fantastic leader and his winning experience really shines through.

Alright Now and lfc.eddie like this.
  6. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

@OhYaBeauty mine too, not to mention his penalty. He steps up it is almost a guaranteed goal - I think it is a guaranteed goal so far.

Alright Now and OhYaBeauty like this.
  7. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Mane,beast player of the season with Lallana close.

8. RMP

RMP TIA First Team

Tempted to say Firmino. He has been a pillar in the team since the start of the season. Had a period when he looked a bit leggy, but in almost every other match he has stepped up and delivered for us.

Most likely will be our highest goalscorer this season as well.

Had Mane not gone off to the AFCON, it would have been hard to deny him but he has missed quite a number of games for me to hand it to him.

9. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I've gone Lallana but was close with Mane, Henderson and Matip (had he not missed so meany games through injury and that ACON shite)

10. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Having said that I could of made a case for Firmino and Gini

11. dxb_red

dxb_red Well-Known Member

Mane has really impressed me, and I went for him, but I also think Firmino has been a really important player for us this season. I actually think we havent relied on any one player as much as we have done in the past. Theres a handful of players who have been very important this year - Mane, Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho, Milner, Migs, Matip - they've all been important. Its been a real team effort.

Livvy and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  12. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I went for Mane. After our consistent inability to find a semblance of a good winger, he comes and rocks our world like that. I hope that his injury will be only of local, temporary character and that he will, as old cliche says, come back stronger next season. I also hope that club won't repeat the two decades old mistake of relying on one player with him. I can't tell if he'll repeat this season, let alone be elevated to status of a top class player, but his debut season here was everything I ever wanted to see from our wide players.

13. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Two players really up it this season and put us on the front foot imo. Henderson and Lallana. I gave my vote to Lallana as his upturn in form was significantly greater than any others and the way he lead the press unforgettable. Special mention to Mané as well who looks like he might become a goal machine (get fit and come back stronger please).

14. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

Lallana or Mane was basically a toss-up for me - went for Lallana as he surprised me the most, both of them incorporate the new style under Klop best imo.
    Henderson has been terrific as well, if fit. Milner for doing a job on a position we were pretty much all worried about.
    Coutinho is just is usual self, which is pretty damn good at times, just wish he could be more consistent, Bobby kind of similar in that regard. Shout out to our "new GK"you know, the Belgian one..

SirBillShankly and Alright Now like this.
  15. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Mane and it's not even close for me. Top scorer, turns up in the big games, very rarely has a bad patch (Cou and Firmino have had 2 month periods of quietness). He is no frills just ruthlessly effective.

Lallana probably next up, then the two Brazilians. Henderson has been good but Can in the last 4 weeks has been just as good as well. Wijnaldum has been consistent. Milner was pretty mediocre for 5 or so weeks so probably doesn't deserve a look in and Matip hasn't played enough.

16. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

️Bobby: leads in passes, shots, assists, yellows for celebrations. Second in minutes and goals. The gegenpress begins with him and without that, where would we be?

In terms of immeasurables, I'm not sure how to measure clutch. But maybe Stoke and WBA are yardsticks.

️As the song goes: Bobby Firmino, he scores off the post.

Bonus: he signed my 11 jersey in pre-season.

ptt and RMP like this.
  17. Alright Now

I was shocked that Milner has played 2 more minutes than Bobby. I shouldn't have been, but I was. There cannot be a more understated pro than our James.

SBYM, Livvy and Limiescouse like this.
  18. Alright Now

This exercise does make one realize that this thread goes against the very grain of what makes this team go. Fun exercise nonetheless. I'd pay a lot to any journalist brave enough to ask Jurgen this question.

Scott Jones and Flobs like this.
  19. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Lallana or Mane for me.

Milner, Gini and Firmino have also been brilliant.

20. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Has to be Mane for me, just look how we struggle when he is not in the team, simply we miss him more than any other player in the squad

21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Gone with Mane and I can't see that changing if Firmino puts another 8 away perhaps or Mignolet goes on a run of clean sheets to get us CL football but I'd probably stick with Mane.

Other notable mentions include Lallana and Matip.

22. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

I went for Henderson as pre-injury he was easily in the top 5 midfielders in Europe, he was having a fantastic season. He had started stepping up as a captain and leader, I'd say arguably losing him derailed our season more than losing Mane did.

MarkMcC and Flobs like this.
  23. ILLOK

I like Henderson but you don't half overrate him, he was nowhere near that good. We've won 5, drew 3 and lost one without him starting (in the league). That's not a derailment, whereas we've won 2, lost 2 and drawn 2 in the league without Mane and we also got knocked out of both cup competitions when he was in Africa.

lfc.eddie and Wyld@Heart like this.
  24. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

It's just my opinion, but for me this season is where I've seen Henderson really step up and become the captain elect. Our PPT with/without him was quite significant before we started to grind out results. He gave such a platform that the front 5 could simply run riot, for me he was the main reason for that run of games when we simply smashed teams.

25. ILLOK

I honestly don't see how we've been derailed since his injury though like you claimed. In the five games he played prior to his injury we won 1, lost 2 drew 2, since then we've won 5, drew 2, lost 1.

I agree, he was really good in the first half of the season but that doesn't mean your above statement is correct, clearly his injury has not derailed our season, that happened prior to his injury.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  26. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

The 4 most important players for me at the club or the ones we miss the most are

1 Mane
    2 Henderson
    3 Matip
    4 Coutinho

Hopefully we get an upgrade on Henderson in the summer so when he is not playing we dont miss him

27. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

That spell co-incided with a back 4 that was constantly shifting and changing. The selection for me was between Mane and Henderson, it was very close but I went for Henderson over Mane because overall I think Henderson stepped up the most this season, and it felt to me we missed him a lot when he got injured.

I can be wrong/stats can prove me wrong, but again it's just my opinion.. Another thing that swung it was Can stepped in to replace Henderson so his loss wasn't felt as badly (once Can finally stepped up) as losing Mane without anyone to even come half to his play style was huge, but that doesn't mean Mane was performing (imho) higher than Hendo..

Flobs likes this.
  28. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Gut feeling: Lallana or Mane, with Firmino also in the mix. Coutinho has been very good when he has been good, but I think the other three mentioned have been more consistent and have had a higher base level in their performances.

Henderson has been really good when available, and would have been a clear candidate for me had he stayed fit and kept going at a similar level. One of the best midfielders in the league this season up until the injury.

29. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Very simple for me: Lallana.

Top 3 in order would be Lallana, Mane and Henderson.

I know there are still games to be played, some of them are out injured and won't play again, but somehow I doubt I'll change my opinion.

Cologne-Liverpool and Flobs like this.
  30. geebo

geebo Bekloppt ! (German for loopy)

Seems a shame to choose one player. Its been overall a good season. We have played well on a majority of occasions, and recovered from a form dip to be within reach of 3rd place April.
    Migs has been improving all year. Clyne is a great right back and I think h is a great defender and a good modern attacking full back. Milner has been a revelation a left back (thatnks to Klopp), Hendo has been very good at DM (again thanks to Klopp) and has had a good season. Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho have all been classy at times this season. For me, Im torn between Matip the new Hansen, and Mane the new Barnes ! I need another thik about this.... but, Alexander-Arnold as YOUNG player of the year ?? any takers? Can we have a young player poll too !