Player of the Season 2016-17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Player of the season

1. Mignolet

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Karius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Milner

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Moreno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Alexander-Arnold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Matip

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Klavan

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Lucas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Henderson

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Can

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Lallana

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  14. Wijnaldum

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  15. Coutinho

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  16. Firmino

22 vote(s)
    25.6%
  17. Mane

37 vote(s)
    43.0%
  18. Origi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Sturridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Pretty interesting that nobody (so far) has given Coutinho a shout considering how often pundits and commentators mention him as our lynchpin/talisman ans everything good goes through him etc.

Perhaps suggests they aren't as insightful as they'd have you believe?

Though i do suspect he'll have grabbed a few motm results.

Etipafilaf likes this.
  2. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

Personally I am voting for what I consider the Player of the Season... not who is our most talented player.
    To me, the most talented players on the team include: Coutinho, Mane, Lallana, Matip, Firmino, Henderson, Milner.
    We have played 33 games in the premier league (which I am using to base most of my vote) and of those, only Milner and Firmino have started more than 30 games: Firmino 30, Milner 31, (and Clyne 32). The others have started 22-26 games.

As such, I am giving Milner and Firmino an extra boost in my ratings... and I actually have appreciated what Milner has done this year more than what Firmino has... so I gave my nod to him. To me Milner has solidified a place as a left back that has been a massive sore spot for the team. Yes Firmino has had flashes of brilliance, but always in tandem with others (often Coutinho and Lallana). Milner goes about and does his work consistently.... and his penalty kicks are excellent.

As I have said in the past with certain players.... I don't care how good/talented you are... if you're not on the field... you're not helping the team win.

I voted Milner.

3. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Player of the season is not a popularity or proficiency contest.

It's the player most valuable to your team over the entire season, who contributes on a weekly basis. Always there, and consistent performer at a level which elevates the rest of the team.

I see only two options here. Milner and Firmino. While Hendo/Phil/Mane/Sturridge may ooze quality, they haven't been on the pitch for extended periods.

Ultimately went for Firmino just for how he ties it all together for us

gr_sounder likes this.
  4. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Whilst Milner has been dependable his form really has tailed off since Jan. It's a concern I have next season that if we did get a kid in like Sessengon relying on Milner for so many games may be a problem. If it was for attitude along Milner all day long, but is he that good as a left back? I think he stifles our play sometimes and if we had someone with pace and who could use their left foot we'd be a far greater threat in the spaces Coutinho creates.

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Firmino had a spell in which he scored 3 assisted 0 in 20 games (16 league 4 cup) over a 3 month period in which we ruined our title bid and got knocked out of both cups. He was far from elevating our level. Either side of that he has been very good.

Mane has been very good in most games he's played. If you look at transfermarkt you'll see he hasn't gone more than 2 games without getting a goal or an assist. The only reason he's missed significantly more games than Firmino is the AFCON.

Scott Jones likes this.
  6. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I find it refreshing.I do rate Coutinho, however he has been injured and was woeful when he came back and is anonymous far too often for my liking. He deserves no awards.

They belong to Mane, Lallana or Firmino.

Chewbazza likes this.
  7. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Maybe it's because he sets the bar so high for himself, us fans expect more of him I think.

Chewbazza likes this.
  8. ILLOK

Firmino was ineffective for the exact same period though.

Lallana, Mane, Henderson and at a push Matip, Wijnaldum, Lovren and Mignolet have been our most consistent performers. Can, Firmino, Coutinho, Milner, Clyne and Origi have had some pretty poor spells of form.

Consistency isn't everything though. Firmino and Coutinho by my reckoning have both had 2 spells of good form and 1 spell of poor form, and those spells of good form have probably been more vital than say Wijnaldum, Lovren or Mignolet's contributions this season.

9. SirBillShankly

I think my judgement regarding Firmino is being influenced by him constantly scoring winners for us recently.

However, the way he works for the team, even when not playing well is hugely impressive, I just love the guy, he's like a rich man's Kuyt.

Now, Lallana and Mane, these are the two who deserve the awards.Both have been insanely good.Both have been in a totally different stratosphere to that overpriced Joker at Old Trafford.

10. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Easily Mane. Jurgen Klopp purchased one player to bring his vision of football closer to reality. That was Mane. People on this site pointed out many times last season we needed an effective winger. Mane. Thankfully, we're now figuring out ways to win without him.

11. SirBillShankly

Yep, Mane has been the Main Man, or should I say the Mane Man?

12. ILLOK

You are going to have to be more specific.

13. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

Thanks for doing this Mascot.

As far as the poll, it's a real tough one for me, several very good options which is how it should be.

Like some others, I feel availability is an underrated skill, so that gives Firmino the nod over Mane. But it's real close.

Special shout to Emre Can for the Durability Award (which I just made up). He seems to have a desire and willingness to play through knocks/injuries that should not go unnoticed.

Livvy likes this.
  14. SirBillShankly

I would have thought a man of your obvious intelligence wouldn't need me to be more specific. The Joker i was referring to was the £89m Pogba.

15. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

I'm torn between Hendo, Lallana, Mane and Firmino. Honourable mentions to Gini and Milner. Mentions to Coutinho and Matip. Fuck could keep going through out the team and that's satisfying to say

Bobby.....

No....Lallana

Shite no what about Mane?

Grrrrr really Bobby (I think...)

Scott Jones likes this.
  16. ILLOK

I was trying to be funny :((

Flobs and Scott Jones like this.
  17. SirBillShankly

Now, that funny little face you have bouncing around, now that's funny :J

18. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

It's pretty close between Mane and Moreno for me. Both have had excellent seasons and there's really nothing between them. Mane just about edges it for his goals and assists.

Mascot88, lfc.eddie, ptt and 3 others like this.
  19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

So between his AFCON absence and "the rest of the season" you still think he is a shout for player of the season? How many games in total will he have missed, 12-15?

Sorry, not impressed. The entire squad shit the bed in Jan/Feb but at least some players were actually on the pitch.

20. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I voted for Mané. The best transfer for us since Luis, back in January 2011.

Every single time this player was on the pitch this season, he did something special and was the x-factor for our attacking game. It was a joy watching him, and hopefully he'll be able to do the same thing for us next season, fingers crossed!

21. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

The business end of the season is where the player of the season has to make the biggest difference and since the Everton game Migs Bobby and Phil have replaced Sadio in the running in my book. Matip's consistency has been strong enough to rival Sadio if you don't place this extra emphasis on the run in.

22. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Moreno blotted his copybook, for me, by appearing on the pitch a few times. Had he been absent all season, he'd have been a shoo-in.

Mascot88, redbj, ptt and 1 other person like this.
  23. Commando

Commando Active Member

Too hard for me to say just yet. I'm hoping that one or more of the handful that I've narrowed it down to will do something exceptional in the run in to set him apart from the others. Watch this space. :-)

24. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

I guess that had Mane not gone to Afcon and Bobby not stepped up hugely of late, would be Mane by a country mile. Over the bulk of the season though, Mane has been our main threat both in terms of actual numbers and sheer will to win. Did have a few quiet games but nobody's 100% all the time.

Honourable mentions for Cou, Gini and Millner (good shout guys). Hendo is seemingly plagued by an A-Z of injuries this season. He has played well but is way short of his superb 14/15 form.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  25. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Over the last few years picking a player of the year was dead easy, Suarez, Gerrard, Coutinho - stand out players that dominated any votes.

This season we have really been lucky Mane, Lallana, Gini, Bobby, Hendo, Milner and since his return Migs have all done really well at times. Then Clyne and Matip have been reasonably consistent with Klaven, Lucas, Origi and Lovren having boss games during the season.

The 1 or 2 man teams of the recent past seems to have gone, we are now more of a team. The last 2 results have shown
    that each and every player is up for the fight. (Well nearly all)

My vote for player of the season goes to one of the new boys. He took time to settle but has shown he is a top player. We have not seen his like since, perhaps Ronnie Whelan. Gini gets my vote. Lallana then Mane

26. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

Voted for Firmino. He has been good this season.
    Mane comes very close though.
    If there was option for the most reliable player of the season, then hands down Clyne would have won it.

27. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Mane has made the biggest impact. Lallana has shown the greatest improvement. Milner has been the biggest surprise, playing so well out of position. Firmino deserves it though. He did have a dip, as has every one this season, but he has been flogged to death by Klopp because he knows he's so critical to the way we play. Rarely rested, he has made things happen through his goals, assists and chances created. He leads the press. Works hard. Got some great skills too and he has scored my favourite goal of the whole season, the winner against Stoke which hopefully has given us the impetus for a strong finish to the season.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  28. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

After looking at the list above again, and check out the votes, I think the mod should make the voters names visible to all. Someone is just taking the piss voting for Lucas, Klavan and Mignolet, while Coutinho and Clyne gets no vote at all. At least their names can go into hall of shame. Should also add Grujic into the mix, as we all know he too will get at least one vote.

Joe Ware likes this.
  29. shankly96

shankly96 Gif King

My vote went to Mane. The others it could have gone to would be Hendo, Gini or Milner who have all been brilliant this season, but Mane, for various reasons, has been better imo. On Coutinho so far having no vote I'll say this: in the past two years he has been our best player largely because no one else turned up to the level that they should have. This year he has been much the same as last year, his goal tally is close to what it was last season, he has a similar amount of assists as well. The difference is other players have stepped up. As such, where before we wouldn't pay as much heed to his dips in form, now we can because we have other players picking up the slack, making Cou's contribution seem lesser than previous seasons.

Coincidentally in the PFA team of the year (the one that all PL players vote on) Mane was included
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...of-the-year-chelsea-and-tottenham-dominate-xi

30. Bambii

Bambii TIA Reserve Team

I voted for Clyne. For me , he is always consistent and plays almost every game. Firminho was a close 2nd. The amount of running he does is unbelievable. And he always seems to score the important goal and also he plays most games too. Special mention to Mane too , who makes a huge difference to the team.

Coutinho have been outstanding at times too but would like a bit more consistency. May be due to injuries and coming back too early. And those times he plays for Brazil then has minimal time to return. Lallana is another one who'd be up there without the injuries. When he plays. He is everywhere. Adding those assists and goals too.