Player of the Season 2016-17

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 16, 2017.

?

Player of the season

1. Mignolet

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Karius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Milner

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Moreno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Alexander-Arnold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Matip

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Klavan

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. Lucas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Henderson

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  12. Can

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. Lallana

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  14. Wijnaldum

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  15. Coutinho

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  16. Firmino

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  17. Mane

39 vote(s)
    43.3%
  18. Origi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Sturridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

The goal scoring forwards always get the votes...and Mane has been awesome, as has Firmino. Truth be told, Coutinho has disappointed a bit this season - guess I just expected more from him that he's provided.

I chose Milner. He has made the LB position his own, and imo, led by example through being a model professional. He's been awesome from the spot also. Unsung hero in my book.

2. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

There's plenty of ways to cut "Player of the Season," but I think in my view of overall contribution to the teams success, Firmino is our most valuable player this season. Mane is a close second and then Clyne as a somewhat distant third, mainly for his consistency and ability to put in a ridiculous amount of minutes and maintain a consistent level.

The case for Firmino: he's logged the most minutes of any attacking players by some margin (about 500 according to WhoScored). He's also been instrumental to the way we've played this season. I think a lot of people, myself included, would be surprised at how he has really made the center forward position his own this year and our attacking play has improved overall without a "recognized" forward like Sturridge or Origi. He is a really relentless player when leading the line and possesses a surprising amount of skills - not just his vision and skill on the ball but his strength and ability to head the ball well.

The biggest thing for Firmino with me is that he just seems to have that indescribable ability to win us games. He absolutely pulled us out of a 1-0 deficit to Swansea and did the same thing in the reverse fixture, although it didn't matter because our defense capitulated. He did the same thing against WBA this past weekend, as well as scoring the winning goal in a nervy Stoke game in December and then a fantastic winner this spring. When he isn't adding these key goals, he still has a meaningful impact on games with his pressing and relentless work.

The case for Mane: I think he's our most exciting player to watch and has really added a new element to our attacking play. His impact on the team can't really be overstated, and I am very excited to see what we'll be like with another player of similar attributes. The only reasons I picked Firmino ahead of him are stated above - Firmino's overall grafting and ability to stay fit and available the full season just seem a little more significant to me. That said, this is Mane's first year and I'm excited to see what he brings to us.

Other honorable mentions:

Clyne - a very consistent player and solved our right back problems. Often under appreciated I think and not overly exciting but a great option to have him here for the next few years.

Lallana - a player I've been critical of but has elevated his performances in Klopp's new system. Main reason for not considering him in the top tier is that he still seems to be a player who really performs when our team is clicking, but doesn't do a great deal to pull us up when we're struggling.

Coutinho - still a great player and one of my favorite to watch, but hasn't really elevated his performances in the last year or so. Still has a handful of absolutely brilliant games a year, and is generally a really top attacking player, with the occasional lull in form. Probably left out of most peoples lists because of a bit of inconsistency and not becoming an absolute world beater, but I still hope he's got another level in him and that he finds it with us.

Milner - while I'm appreciative of what he's done this season and think he's been a good member of the squad, I think the fanfare around his performances are a little overblown. He's demonstrated a willingness to adapt even at 30 which I think is admirable, but he's nowhere near my list for player of the season. Consistency and his hard-working attitude shouldn't be overlooked but they also can't really compare with some of the talented players we have.

3. Isle

Isle Active Member

Very well said. Could not agree more. I love Milner's work ethic and athletic conditioning but I've also always considered him overrated as a player. I respect and appreciate that he accepted to play LB (out of necessity) but the ironic truth is that he's a very average midfielder. A try-hard plug. So I'm not sure he'd even make the field if it wasn't for his acceptance to learn/play a new position.

kipland007 likes this.
  4. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

In my opinion, this kind of attitude is a player's biggest quality. In modern football, it matters more if you fit than if you're good enough. Milner made sure he fit into Klopp's plans when he could have sulked his way into some lower placed club where Liverpool would have to compensate him for the rest of his contract. Let's see if he can continue his form beyond this point - I don't think he was our best player this season but he surprised with his performances up to now. I wouldn't mind Liverpool getting another such bargain, regardless of position.

5. Isle

Isle Active Member

Correct. I agree completely with you. You are saying the same thing I am. Just using different words.

6. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

No votes for Coutinho. Looking at the data I'm collecting from the Man of the match polls, that is really interesting.

7. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Yep, same here.

I suppose it's a symptom of having multiple choices for each game, but only one for this poll.

I can't give it to Coutinho over mane or lallana, but if we had a 3-2-1 type set up I'd say Coutinho would be picking up a lot of 2 and 3 votes.

8. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

What red said there.

For me though, Milner. To be as steady as he's been, having been shoehorned into a position he's never played in, is bloody impressive. If Lallana had stayed fit and played the whole season, he'd have walked it, though. That guy's turnaround from pirouetting ponce to midfield maestro is astounding.

Mascot88 and lfc.eddie like this.
  9. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

Just an update on this. I have to go away for a work thing in early June, so I'll collate the results of the match by match data after that. You've got until about the 5th to cast your vote or change your vote.

10. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

I voted for Mane. He had a tremendous impact on our attack from day 1. And whenever he went missing, you could see how it affected the whole side. We were less explosive offensively. With a healthy Mane and a healthy squad we terrorized the best teams in the Premier League.

And to think, we have Mane in large part because Gotze spurned Liverpool! Thanks Gotze! :well done::tongue:

I'm so glad that we moved on to Mane. He has become so central to the well-being of the club that a large part of the offseason has been taken up discussing how do we find Mane 2.0. Because we need that explosive wide presence when he is called up to AFCON or if he were to get injured for a week or two.

I am glad that Milner adapted to a new position and gave us a credible left back this season. Milner was always gifted with his crossing ability even before he was converted, so it worked out pretty well. The thing is that he is a right footed player playing on the left side. So even going beyond the fact that he's playing out of position, he has to make additional maneuvers to cross from the left side. So he'll never be the best left back that he could be.

I also find it hard to call -anyone- a bargain when they are being paid £120k weekly salary. Milner is one of the top paid players at the club. He -better- be contributing something useful for that much money!!

Milner will no doubt be kept at left back until his contract runs out as he has been effective there. But that doesn't meant that we shouldn't look to upgrade the position with a natural left-footed left back. At the very least we need an heir to Milner as he is already age 31 and football is a young man's game, especially at the more athletically demanding positions such as fullback.

Last edited: May 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM