Post Match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 5/4/2017 8pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 5, 2017.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Apr 12, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Lovren

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Klavan

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lucas

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Can

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  8. Wijnaldum

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Coutinho (GOAL off 65')

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  10. Firmino

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  11. Origi (GOAL)

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  12. Matip (on 65’)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I dont understand why going 3 at the back was a bad decision? Bringing on your best defender who can also add some height is perfectly sensible. Not only defensively, but in allowing your full backs to push up and provide width which we are lacking from Coutinho and Mane being absent, it can help in an attacking sense too. Those same full backs can also help the midfield provide more control of the game. As others have said, had Klavan not made a basic error, it would have been viewed as a good change.

Livvy and basil1492 like this.
  2. Flobs

Flobs FADA

We didn't lose!

FGred and Scott Jones like this.
  3. Flobs

Flobs FADA

That's not what happen though is it?
    Our fullbacks stayed back to create 5 at the back and we lost the midfield battle. Wijnaldum went missing (I think he was knackered) and needed replacing as did Origi later on who was suffering from cramp.
    Bringing on Matip and suffering those consequences is a very bad decission.

4. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

I thought of you as well.lol:tongue:

Flobs likes this.
  5. redfanman

No. Klopp himself said he made the change to get the full backs to push up and create width. If they didnt do that, that doesnt make his decision itself bad. It just wasnt executed properly. Those players you mention were going to be knackered anyway, and so at some point Matip would have probably had to come on and the team adopt the same set up anyway.

6. Flobs

Flobs FADA

There's no get out of jail free cards from my perspective.
    His decision was bad because he is the coach and the coaching was crap!
    We didn't need 3 at the back (let alone 5). Going to 5131 just lost us all our width we needed at least for Lucas to push up (to create a 541 at least defensively more sound whilst keeping some width) but ziltch. He made the move at around 60 minutes plenty of time to get coaching messages across (instead of shouting at Origi).
    I have a feeling you like 3 CB's, I haven't a clue why as even if we used Sakho and designate Can as a CB we still don't have the CB's for this type of formation.
    For me there is no excuse here, Klopp has got to face up to reality and make corresponding decisions.

7. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

There's our plan B right there

8. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

1. Our game is based around high press. Pressing in forward areas and high in midfield. Take one forward or midfielder out and you have a man less to press higher up.
    2. There was no point, system was working.
    3. Only 2 attackers on the pitch, less outlets when we have the ball, invites pressure.

Theres 3 obvious ones.

Why only use 1 sub when players were clearly struggling by the end?

Klopps done an amazing job at the club but its a fact that some bizarre decisions hes made have cost us points. Its like youve got to be 100% for or against here. It was the same with rodgers only the people who gave rodgers the shit think that klopp should be exempt from criticism. Can you imagine rodgers did the same as klopp in this game? A lot of people would want him swinging from a lamppost. Klopp fucked up plain and simple

9. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

Are we seriously saying Lovren and Klavan looked comfortable? They looked like conceding throughout the entire game... He should have used his other two subs though, particularly TAA as an outlet.

10. afrikana

afrikana TIA Squad Member

OK, say he plastered the post and was out for the season, then what?

11. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

The bigger problem for me is the options we have to play back three as they looked scared shitless instantly,options is a big problem in our defence and GK.

Lowton_Red and Flobs like this.
  12. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

If we won the game? Great stuff 2 points better off, and he'd be fine maybe a few days with a sore head.

Scott Jones likes this.
  13. redfanman

Not saying Klopp shouldnt be criticised. I'm saying that labelling a switch to 3 at the back with Matip coming on shouldnt be classed as a bad decision solely on the fact we lost because of a basic error by Klavan.

Yes, our game is based on pressing and our system was working, but it was clear that with Coutinho having to come off a change had to be made and we didnt have many options. Studge was only just back in training, Woodburn is small and inexperienced. We know Can was carrying a knock going into the game so whatever intensity we had prior to Coutinho going off was unlikely to continue much longer. Bournemouth arent averse to hitting high balls into our box, as they demonstrated in their earlier match against us this season.

Livvy, Lowton_Red and Scott Jones like this.
  14. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Error by Klavan or not we lost because we lost the midfield. Why can you not accept this or any other argument.
    As far as I am concerned all we needed was some fresh legs so a decent opportunity to give some of our young lads a little run out. Why complicate things when it's not necessary with formation changes?

15. redfanman

I can accept other arguments. But there is no guarentee that the midfield would have held with any other changes, especially with a tiring forward and Can carrying a knock. Midfield control was not automatically given up by bringing on Matip. Even by controlling the midfield, there would have been opportunities for Bournemouth to swing the ball into the box via a set piece or thrown, and having Matip there surely increases the change we can defend those.

Klopps decision to go 3 at the back, in accordance with his stated aim, was a logical one. Unfortunately it didnt have the intended impact.

16. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

If only it was "a" basic error by Klavan, he made at least two. His first error was failing to step up with Millie and Matip which would have put King offside when he received the ball from Arter.

And Klavan wasn't the only one to make errors. Can failed to properly clear the ball; instead of heading the ball back over Firmino, he headed the ball towards the centre gifting Arter the perfect opportunity for a shot.
    Also Mignolet failed to come off his line quickly enough so as to narrow the angle for King's shot.

Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  17. Flobs

Flobs FADA

At least we would have kept some shape and depth which was completely lost with the 5131. 4 players completely axial, Firmino without a clue what to do and Origi completely isolated. Just saying I would have gone 4411. All we did was allow their fullbacks to help them take over the midfield.
    There are no guaranties however at 2-1 keep your options open like an ability to score a 3rd and keep some strength and depth in midfield would seem a better bet all day long imo.

18. KillerBeeLFC

Even the fact our "plan B" is 5 at the back surely contradicts the style of play we want to achieve. A 4411 or 4231 or whatever would suit us better while allowing more players to be in defensive areas higher up the pitch. We would actually have more people to stop crosses coming in which is the foremost defense against teams who cross it. We stop the cross then we dont need 3 centre backs to clear it away. We never ever look convincing with 5 at the back. Whether its personnel or the style, it just doesnt suit us and I pray we dont persist with it because klopps too proud or stubborn to admit it doesnt work. Persisting with bad ideas that contradict our ethos is what buried rodgers and I really dont want the same with klopp.

Flobs likes this.
  19. KillerBeeLFC

If Studge is on the bench he should be fit enough, if not why put him on the bench. Id of put woodburn on instead of a cb all day long. Hes never looked out of place and its against a team that arent great at the back. The fact we only have these options leads to bigger questions. Why have we only got one senior winger at the club? If woodburn cant be trusted why did we not sort this out in the summer or January? Januarys a difficult market but every year we are out of champions league costs us more. Hopefully this shit will be sorted in the summer I just hope its not too late.

Flobs likes this.
  20. afrikana

afrikana TIA Squad Member

A few days with footballers is like dog years.

21. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

it was a different game after matip came on, irrespective of klavan's fuckup at the end

bournemouth had much more of the ball

22. sportbilly1966

sportbilly1966 TIA New Signing

Are you sure with the reaction it certainly feels like it!!!!

23. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

We had been sitting back for 20-30 minutes. Obviously they were going to score. It was a given.