Post Match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 5/4/2017 8pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 5, 2017.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Apr 12, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clyne

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Lovren

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Klavan

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lucas

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Can

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  8. Wijnaldum

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Coutinho (GOAL off 65')

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  10. Firmino

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  11. Origi (GOAL)

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  12. Matip (on 65’)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

He buys a head-fake that may not even have been there. Klavan seems to momentarily think the attacker is about to make a touch pass to someone else in that area.

2. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Were Everton not physical, direct and dirty? Are Bournemouth are more physical team than Everton?

We have deficiencies in the squad that means we struggle against certain teams and certainly do so if certain players are missing. If Matip, Mane and Lallana would have started, I think we'd have beaten Bournemouth comfortably.

3. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious frailty from set pieces, we've ironically suffered more this season from teams that play the same way we do.

Teams that press high in numbers, don't go flying into tackles but are instantly in the face of our lads, and cause panic. Then, if there is a turnover, they run it straight through the middle at our back line which panics some more for good measure.

We were in trouble last night, as we have been in other games this season right from the first whistle. Yes we are missing players, but there's something amiss with the mindset of the ones who are out there if the first reaction to being asked to use the ball under pressure is to want it to be someone else's problem and then forget how to weight a pass properly.

It's infectious, when one of our boys sees a teammate panic, he gets the jitters too, the opposition are encouraged and the whole thing snowballs.

Not sure how to fix this, other than buying a bucket load of new players who "have backbone" or "are leaders", but from a layman's point of view, the pre match preparation and getting the players' heads right for what to expect before kick off needs work.

He's not the ideal captain but we miss Henderson badly on nights like last night.

SBYM likes this.
  4. Red Armada

Red Armada TIA Regular

Ok we don't have the worst record by far. We've got one of the worst records. Happy now?

And I do hope that we won't concede 50 but hey with the way we've been defending? Everything is possible.

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Ecstatic.

Never Say Never and SBYM like this.
  6. Arminius

It is not really particularly 'worst' than the other top 6 if it is directly comparable to 2 of the other 6.

Of course, City and Arsenal do have crap defences.

SBYM, Foldy and ILLOK like this.
  7. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

There are 2 silver linings here.

1. We did no worse than 2 of our rivals.

2. As fans, we don't have to wait an entire week, or longer, before we have a chance to get the nasty taste out of our mouths.

I think we should be scientific about this. Only people who have a 100% win record this season are allowed to start prematch threads from now on.

8. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Bit of a fume going on in here. Understandable to some extent but some of it's well over the top. I am utterly disappointed with the result myself though. Yet another 2 points dropped that should not have been.

I don't quite agree with the blow up over the change to a three though. It looked pretty solid, if unspectacular, for the most part and Bournemouth never really had a sniff at goalscoring opportunities. They were well at arms length, never got an overload out wide and were unable to play through the middle of the pitch. While they had more of the ball it was all played in front of us and that probably was the intention. The goal that we did concede though was avoidable and down to simply incompetent defending of a second ball (again). Lack of awareness is killing us in those situations and I just cannot pinpoint why. We do not really concede chances willy nilly which indicates solidity to an extent but then undo all that when we let teams catch us flatfooted at the ping pong stuff. Klavan simply had to do better in that situation. When the ball hit the striker he completely lost it and allowed him to turn unhindered and shoot. The replay shows he wasn't even looking at the ball!

Had we held out people would be lauding Klopp for his tactical nous and pragmatism. However it was not to be and he is now being pilloried for panicking. It is not that cut and dried imo. Two individual errors cost us yesterday; Wijnaldum's was inexplicably out the blue but in itself is not something our defense, or players, do very often whereas Klavan has been guilty of defensive errors leading directly to goals on more than one occasion and yesterday that was the difference between 1 point and 3.

Klopp bears the responsibility for having him on the pitch though, it must be said. His type of errors are 'easier' to dismiss. More insiduous, if you will, as they are rarely glaring errors such as passing it to the opposition, lets say, but his weakness is positional, awareness and strength in a position such as he found himself in yesterday which are harder to quantify as one can always say 'well played' to the opposition for getting the better of him. He simply isn't consistently good enough at this level in those situations while still giving it everything he does have. Tall, CB, fairly decent and another body in there so yeah... should be good in theory but it has cost us this season.

Libero, SBYM, Arminius and 2 others like this.
  9. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

hey, we all been there, done that, its all good...

Foldy and Scott Jones like this.
  10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Aww Foldy, that's such a lovely post.:-)

Despite the setback, I am still optimistic.

Foldy likes this.
  11. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

Draxler?? come on man! fellow german thing didnt work with goetze, what makes u think it would have worked here? Players are not stupid, on top of wages, they also look at the quality of the organisation and tend to favour those that have won at least one trophy (no, not the league cup) within the last ten years and qualified for the CL more than twice in the last 10 years. Players want teams with financial clout as well as ambition, asking klopp use his clout to sign players is a little bit naive considering that even at dortmund klopp signed relative unknowns and made them stars

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  12. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

[​IMG]:-)

FGred, Alright Now, Foldy and 4 others like this.
  13. Arminius

I have to say, I found this a little funny. For about eight years now, I have had a nearly irrational hatred for draws,

Away: Villa, Arsenal, Stoke, Wigan
    Home: Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull, Everton, City, Arsenal

There were some fairly poor draws in there, some awful early goals conceded, and a couple of horrible late equalizers (Cahill and Mido anyone? Not to speak of Arshavin). We had the goal difference too, that was Rafa's title if his team had managed to hold on to a lead against Wigan and Everton, and some of those home draws were absolutely awful. City 2009 was not today's City.

14. Arminius

I did not look at the forums for a month after last year's Europa Cup final.

Foldy and Livvy like this.
  15. 104TOSH

104TOSH mystic, clown and philosopher

Once more we shoot ourselves in the foot(although apart from Milly I think the rest would miss even that shot !). Bournmouth have now scored 6 goals against us !

Frustrating it is to be a Liverpool fan because the two points dropped would have put us a fair few points ahead of the sides beneath us.

Origi was my MOTM. He's looking more like the Origi we like to see.

16. icemanwan

icemanwan TIA Youth Team

I don't know why we're talking about Sakho for this match. I saw him play during the Chelsea game, he was just like any other defender but it was the team Crystal Palace that collectively did a massive defense job and I thought their keeper was influential.

Back to this game, the first goal was ridiculous, everyone was sloppy, do you think Sakho would make a difference. The thing about the defense last night was it is too static. Nobody was closing down or chasing down 2nd balls it was like inviting disaster when the ball was played back into dangerous areas.. Defending needs to be a team effort and again having Sakho would not make much difference. We had Matip, Lovren and Klavan yet we were still unable to stop them score the equalizing 2nd goal.

FGred and SBYM like this.
  17. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

Scary thing is, the teams we still have to play have just been given an example of how to get a result out of us. We will come up against the same tactics and with the injuries we'll probably struggle.

18. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

The defense needs a leader. They've been all over the place since Carra retired. He used to marshal them and push them on. I've never been convinced by Lovren and Klavan was always just a cheap backup.

19. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

Its not just the defence, we have no leaders in the team apart from Lucas Id say. We need winners, players who wont give up and who will pull us together when things are going wrong. I remember Cambiasso a couple of years ago was amazing for Leicester, even if hed come on for 20 minutes you could see he had that leadership to make sure everyone around would do their job. We need 2 or 3 of these sprinkled in the squad I reckon, players who have won big things and have experienced big pressure. Gerrard could still be here in that capacity but but not sure he'd of wanted that or even if the club would of allowed that given they tried to get rid of everyone on high wages.

Kaliberbeats likes this.
  20. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

I'd say we have no leaders, period TBH. I thnk it's a side effect of buying too many kids.

Makati Red likes this.
  21. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Well, they did this initially after conceding the first goal, but then came back from their early shock, started the second half very well, and deserved to take the lead. Then something else happened: they stopped playing football.

Yes, it has something to do with Matip coming in for Coutinho, and the tactical change, but it doesn't explain everything, and shouldn't be an excuse for suddenly handing all the possession to Bournemouth, letting them gain feet in the match again. It's definitely a mental issue, but maybe not the one you're alluding to.

22. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

oh, is that a problem with this group? maybe better to stay on the front foot, then

expected coutinho to come off around that time. it's who came on that was the problem

23. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

2 Points from 4 games without Mane
    Its a problem for Klopp teams and more recently Wenger teams basically if you get player who run through walls for you and shorten their careers in the process they are conditioned to follow orders rather than lead for themselves.

If you look at the great Dortmund team even Hummels wasnt that great a leader but grew into the role as the team won. However there was no real leaders as such in that team. Its based on the team play and ethic, its probably the reason Klopp has such a bad record in cup finals

24. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

What the fuck are you babbling about? Do you even read what you wrote yourself?

25. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

:shocked::think::?::((:unhappy::tongue::wave:

Artrain, Alright Now, Maria and 3 others like this.
  26. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

Thank you fella

jabu likes this.
  27. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

Haha I'm glad I was too drunk to type that night

28. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

I deserved a Tommy ice pick to the head last night!

104TOSH, FGred, SBYM and 1 other person like this.
  29. Foldy

Foldy Well-Known Member

Cheers Maria, woke up on the sofa this morning and checked my phone, thought I'd read what everyone was saying about the game on here and it all came back to me!! The horror!!

Maria likes this.
  30. basil1492

basil1492 TIA Squad Member

I can't complain about the result as i was agreeing with most of what happened yesterday. When i saw the team sheet i agreed with swapping Matip for Klavan, Matip just back from injury so maybe 3 games in a week being too much and of the 2 games left you'd have thought Klavan could handle Bournemouth better than Stoke who will no doubt go high with a lot of long ball to the box which Matip deals with better. Also after Lucas' last game at CB everyone was saying that form now on Klavan HAS to be our backup CB so i agreed with that move.

When he took Coutinho off i was surprised but since he was injured that was fair enough. I've also been one to say it's good to have a plan B and to be able to defend a lead so i could understand the idea behind bringing Matip on. I won't say i was expecting it as i thought TAA would come on for Cou but i definitely can't complain about it, especially in hindsight as a few are doing. Would all these complaints still be happening if we had managed to hold on?

Last point, we still have a great chance of top 4 which is more than most expected at the start of the season. Personally i still see us finishing 3rd and really do think we'll see out the rest of the season with no more than 1 loss and 1 draw giving us the 76 i still think will be enough. Btw i voted Coutinho MOTM just because he managed to play that well while feeling bad enough to vomit at half time and still come back out.

FGred and SBYM like this.