POST MATCH: Liverpool v Everton (EPL 1/4/17 12.30pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Man of the Match

Poll closed Apr 8, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Clyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lovren

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Matip

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lucas

22 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Can [Yellow 67']

9 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Wijnaldum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mane [GOAL 7', off 55']

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Firmino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Coutinho [GOAL 31', off 72']

76 vote(s)
    57.6%
  12. Origi [On 55', GOAL 60']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Alexander Arnold [on 72']

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Vertrauen Sie mir

Typical Derby ain't it? 3 points in the bag early on up by 3 or 4 goals seems the norm these days no matter the form that Everton comes into the game in. Most were freaking about Lukaku's form and he wasn't anywhere to be seen. Everton tried to blood in a few youngsters thinking that they'd bring their desire to win the local derby would be key but we should them otherwise. Lucas, Can and Gini controlled the midfield allowing nothing to the blues.
    Just noticed that Lucas tends to play well one game then shitte the next, praying that we don't start him on Wednesday now. He was fucking boss yesterday like he rolled back the years to put in a performance that we might wee out of him in 2011! Can was a beast not letting a reckless challenge from Ashley Williams to take him out. He came back and still put in hard challenges! Coutinho, well he's back ain't he? Cleared the path for Mane to score, scored the 2nd goal with a beauty of a strike and laid one on for Origi to smash from outside the box. Shame we lost Mane to injury though otherwise it was a perfect match to watch. Not a lot of quality, beautiful football but a good tactical "battle" which we handled flawlessly.

Worried if we lose Mane for a significant amount of time as we already lost Lallana for 3 more weeks and Henderson is still injured so we'll need a few of the youngsters to step up and help the first team through the rest of the season.

FGred likes this.
  2. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Call me crazy but I'm quite happy knowing we're going to beat them and then watching us do it.

FGred, BostonMick, James H and 7 others like this.
  3. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

In his interview yesterday he was playing the 'blame game'..deflecting the fact that certain players in his team shouldn't have been on the pitch..and his team were well beaten. Koeman sat drinking his water, watching the game and showed no emotion towards his team....he's just covering up the fact that they weren't very good.

LaurazRed, FGred, Livvy and 1 other person like this.
  4. MarcusBerglund

MarcusBerglund Well-Known Member

Well, if you are honest enough, you will admit that there are disgusting fans in both sides.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/video-live...g-chant-mocking-seamus-colemans-injury-583694

FGred likes this.
  5. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

FGred, Alright Now and MarcusBerglund like this.
  6. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Someday they will get lucky and get one though. That's the fear

7. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Crazy

The derby was the.most competitive matches in the football calander.

It had everything that you could want from a football match. Yeah you've guessed, normally a Liverpool win.

8. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

He cant pick up his £200 for passing GO

9. StrongINTheAir

We win, United draw. Now a 0-0 draw between City and Gooners will make for a near perfect weekend.
    Follow that up midweek with a win over Bournemouth, a 0-0 draw between our two rivals Utd and Everton on Tuesday and Chelsea beating City on Wednesday and this week could be the defining week of the season.
    So while Barkley should definitely have been sent off, and Williams too and could face retrospective punishment, I hope he doesn't because I want them around Tuesday to battle United.
    That said, wouldn't be surprised if the Man Utd FA don't punish Williams and suspend him for Tuesday.

Steve_LFC and FGred like this.
  10. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

If they appeal it wouldn't Williams still be available for the United game?

11. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

No, not at all. The Barkley tackle on Lovren was a red in any era as you say.

The reaction to the tackles is what is different these days. When Stevens done Beglin or Case doing Nulty the reaction was one side calling the other dirty bastards and the media had a pop on the Monday.

We, well I cant recall, a manager calling the other teams coaches out nor do I recall any manager repeating those claims at further press interviews.

I have mates that say Barkley should be sent down for his assault. FFS what next?

Barkley is getting himself a reputation in these games and he will regret becoming a target.

Both clubs have a history that included the winning the right to play first. This meant getting into a battle, if required, then playing the game.

Everton have not stood up for a battle with us for years, thuggery has no place but surely nor does lying down like shithouses.

Dont get me wrong, it great to beat them all the time. Although It doesnt do, what used to be the greatest derby in football, any good

FGred and Fester like this.
  12. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't think that you were condoning the thuggish fouls but it is not for me to put words in your mouth so I thought that I would check with you.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I remember the no quarter given, no holds barred tackles of yesteryear where players softened opposing players up rather than beat them up. Players were taken out but when a player went over the top in a thuggish and dangerous way that was another matter even back then. It was intimidation rather than thuggery and players accepted it and got on with it. Leeds United were a prime example of mixing football with the hard stuff. I recall Crazy Horse and Bremner squaring up to each other on a number of occasions for both club and country.

I thought that Klopp handled the post-match press interviews very well yesterday. Koeman on the other hand tried to defend the indefensible especially so soon after after the Coleman injury.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    FGred, redalways, OLDIE and 1 other person like this.
  13. Etipafilaf

Etipafilaf "If we want, this can be a real special day."

Plenty to like about this one:

*3 points
    *Phil being Phil
    *Sadio being Sadio
    *Matip being Matip
    *The immediate response to the equalizer
    *Much maligned players, namely Lucas and Lovren, accepting the challenge and playing a key role in the win
    *Gini, Emre solid yet again
    *Didn't allow their repeated attempts to hurt our players to bait us into a silly sending off that would have impacted future matches
    *Defended well
    *Divock back with a goal
    *TAA continuing to show he's ready to get more time and is not scared in the least when called upon

Main downside:

*Sadio's injury

More and more I'll be pretty upset if we allow Emre Can to get away. We need more players with his type of competitiveness and mindset as opposed to selling one of the few we do have. He's tough, willing to put himself on the line (with no regard for his own well being) to win and has room to continue to grow. We must find a way to keep him around.

Also, well done to Klopp for taking Phil off even knowing he wouldn't be happy about it. His postgame explanation ("we had already lost one of our best players") made perfect sense.

14. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Of course they will, 33 of 49 they have lost against them in the league since the game was invented in 1992.
    But then we all know what they have become. They're just Man U's rent boys.

Commando likes this.
  15. StrongINTheAir

That should be correct and you would think they would fancy their chances for it

Jase likes this.
  16. Pecl

Pecl New Member

Even more bewildering was when pundits on MOTD looking at Barkley and co.'s disgusting tackles on the screen in slow motion and brushing it off saying "yeah, you expect these in derbies".

17. StrongINTheAir

Plus all the international travel prior with a midweek match makes even more important

18. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Agreeance on Emre. He has fought and played through a calf injury, and maybe we're now seeing him approaching full fitness and form as we did toward the tail end of last year.

FGred likes this.
  19. kiwiredman

kiwiredman Who wants to give only 99%, can leave now

Agree completely. I was on the fence about Can over recent months, but he seems to be a lot more match fit and generally a shit load sharper now than he was a couple of months ago. Could just be one of those guys that takes a while to get match fit, we aren't all thoroughbreds... He will never be the fastest or fittest guy in the team, but he has no regard for his own well-being at times, which is great to see when we need a bit of the fear factor in the middle of the park. I would be very happy to see him stay at Liverpool after his recent performances.
    What else can you say about Matip, Mr. Cool in any situation. He always seems to have time to assess the best option and doesn't panic. Another centre half with a head like his would be awesome for our defence next year. Some credit needs to go to Migs as well, with his new found confidence no doubt having a flow on effect in front of him.

FGred likes this.
  20. Craigy_Boy_92

Craigy_Boy_92 Member

Wonderful result. Good performance but we didn't have to play at our best to beat that lot.

Lovren & Matip were excellent in defence and didn't give Lukaku a sniff. Lucas played well coming in and i hope he plays again on Wednesday.

Coutinho... what can i say... Back to his best? Great individual performance. Big win especially with Utd, City & Arsenal dropping points.

FGred likes this.
  21. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

True dat.

To be fair, I always thought the relationship was with Moyes and fergie.

I vaguely remember a few Everton results when the bitters needed the points and Man U didn't.

Very cosy indeed

22. Claymenza

Claymenza Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this was deliberate, but the first two goals came off the back of effective dribbling down the middle left flank.

Mane had pace and power to get beyond the first two defenders and still keep his composure for a low finish.
    Coutinho used some trickery to create space for himself and curve it in which is his specialty.

Good to see origi back in scoring mode because he will be needed with mane and lallana out.

FGred likes this.
  23. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Seriously, would you want Williams available against United. He has been dreadfull recently

24. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Before the match I remembered the first derby match under BR.
    He decided to play 3 kids : Sterling, Wisdom and I cant remember the third. They were all awful that day. The derby was to much for them to handle at that stage.
    It came back to me because I was affraid Klopp will use the kids again and they will break. Klopp went for experience and got a great performance from Lucas, while Koeman used kids who will have nightmares of Coutinho for years.

I doubt we will see Mane for the next couple of games at the very least. Sturridge, Hendo and Lallana are pretty much done for the season ( maybe the last couple of games ).
    Everybody should get ready to see a lot of Lucas in the next few weeks.

25. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

26. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

FGred, Flobs and Lowton_Red like this.
  27. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

It's hardly surprising seeing as both Garry "yours for a bag of crisps" Lineker and Martin "I'm a Neanderthal man" Keown played for the blueshites.

FGred likes this.
  28. Noo Noo

Noo Noo Well-Known Member

Well played us. Good to see. I must admit Evertojn did help with a defensive line that didn't know whether it wanted to play high or deep. But they were over run in midfield which put the pressure on them.

Bar the bad tackles it was a pretty comfortable afternoon's work I'd say.

Also good to see Countinho playing well again

29. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

Barkley is showing a tendency to get frustrated when things are not going his way, and then descends into cowardly tackles that have no place in the game, in any era, not just modern. He very well could have broken Lovren's leg and i was not a 50-50 challenge, he went in with a posture that left 0% chance of being hurt himself. Should have walked, the williams challenge is less clear cut, I think there was intent to hurt can (but i am be biased), but you would be hard pressed to prove he meant to connect with his knee. The stamp/rake incident, there wasn't much contact with can's back so i honestly don't know if he meant it.
    Fair play to Can, he was involved in a lot of dirty play against him but he kept his head and never shied away from the next challenge, his form has improved immensely over the last two games.

Scott Jones and inaiq like this.
  30. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

In his efforts to show his commitment to the cause in the Derby he forgot
    To use his undoubted skills to play football and to tackle hard but fair and then shake hands at the end of a hard fought game but instead he was so consumed with hatred he looked like a conference player trying to break someone's leg very sad. I have watched this fixture for many years but it was always full blooded but never nasty, this only started after Heysel which thwarted them from playing in Europe hence all the gloating when our players get injured during internationals again very sad. But their support in the Hillsborough fight for the 96 was brilliant and
    Maybe some of that spirit should be re-injected into this very important Fixture for both teams.