POST MATCH: Stoke 1 Liverpool 2 (EPL 7/4/17 3pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 8, 2017.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Apr 15, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

138 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Clyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Klavan (Yellow 47')

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alexander Arnold (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Can

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Woodburn (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Origi (off 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Coutinho (on 45', GOAL 69')

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. Firmino (on 45', GOAL 71', Yellow 72’)

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Sturridge (on 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Wijnaldum (soz for missing you off, Gini)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Your second paragraph hit the nail. None of the reviewers, pundits or analysts are world class managers. In fact, some have failed miserably. What they know about squad management is likely to just about fill their column inches if that. For most a single tweet would suffice.

FGred, Maria, redfanman and 2 others like this.
  2. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

i just feel as an addition to your thoughts on pundits, if Guardiola had made that change at half time he would be a tactical genius, my god do they love Guardiola.

3. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Well these "pundits" :rolleyes:... meanwhile i get the feeling that they cant cope with "the reality of life" ... they are living in a "kind of parallel universe". And imo most of them are really annoyed that Lfc possibly could play cl next year and Manutd could miss that. Imo the more we'll win now the more they will get on Klopp. :yawn:

FGred, LaurazRed, Alright Now and 2 others like this.
  4. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Really, I heard alot of criticism of Guardiola recently by many pundits, that he is too stubborn, arrogant, too inflexible with his football ideology and they haven't forgiven him for ousting Jo Hart.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Pecl, Mascot88, Jase and 5 others like this.
  5. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

In 3 years when we win the CL on a Woodburn hat trick off 2 TAA assists, the same journalists will look back fondly at Stoke as the Coming of Age match.

James H, eng.amohd, redfanman and 3 others like this.
  6. Ʒan

Ʒan Well-Known Member

I think without question the main issue with the goal conceded was the lack of communication and awareness of teammates. Each individual bar maybe Can did something wrong there. Clyne failed to bother tracking the run there, assuming Klavan would make the tackle and that the the three at the back was going to hold firm. He needed to stay with Shaqiri to force him toward the byline. Klavan missed the tackle which you can't whip him for as it was a nice touch by Shaqiri, but Matip for some reason committed to cutting off Shaqiri's run to the goal and wasn't aware from how far back Lovren was coming from. Matip really needed to be aware of both Walters and Lovren and squeeze the space between Shaqiri and Walters instead. If Clyne had done his job Matip probably wouldn't have made that mistake. Lovren tbf probably should have been a little tighter, but the space opened up by Matip's movement to the byline and Lovren coming from far then getting confused about whether to track the goal scorer or protect the cutback is the biggest issue. Can did the right thing in protecting the cutback as was his job as he had two attackers behind him and not a lfc midfielder in sight. Lovren was the only one capable of making a reasonably safe tackle on Walters, so how Can could get criticized for not sprinting around like a headless chicken, which is amusingly what he is often criticized for doing, is beyond me.

A true team concession there. Each mistake compounded the proceeding mistake.

Arminius, redalways, Livvy and 2 others like this.
  7. Genius

Genius The Somewhat Normal One

8. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

What is it about that Stoke pitch. Passes always seem to hold up and dribbling and running with the ball are. very difficult. Is it a different sort of grass or do they leave it a bit longer to slow down the quick passing teams?

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Which means we have a very well balanced kit?

10. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Once you let Shaqiri enjoy that much space in such a dangerous area, he'll be able to do what he wants with the ball. On this occasion, the collective defending was even worse, as Lovren failed completely to follow Walters and mark him. Bad, bad defending from two of our three center-backs. This is not good enough, whatever the way one looks at it.

eng.amohd likes this.
  11. James H

It must be the New Balance lol

12. Wyld@Heart

About that celebration. Got to be one of the moments on the season, that. Pure unadulterated joy right in front of the travelling support all going absolutely going mental. Visceral it was, true lightning in a bottle stuff. Gives me goosebumps even looking at it over and over again.

13. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

Fair Enough that was my one and only negative comment yesterday and pretty unfair to the current crop of youngsters especially as I was shooting from the hip comment without backing with facts. Here's to Woodburn and co breaking into the team proper like the ones I mentioned...

14. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

And yet, he got a yellow card for that. Disgusting.

FGred likes this.
  15. Wyld@Heart

I know right. Pathetic really when potentially leg breaking tackles go unpunished week after week.

FGred, Livvy, Zinedine Biscan and 2 others like this.
  16. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

It is the rule, and if it was not there, celebrations would become absurd. Firmino knew he would get one, the ref team knew he knew - worth it.

17. James H

I would argue celebrations are already absurd, the dab is stupid and for some reason all these handshake celebrations are really annoying me! Maybe I am just getting oldlol

18. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I hope he assists loads and doesn't score to many the next few weeks....I don't think we can afford him to be suspended lol

FGred, Jase, Livvy and 3 others like this.
  19. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

We all know that rule is just there so that the sponsor's big photo moment doesn't get spoiled. I would see a point if they were taking off their pants and wiggling their little Bobbys in celebration - but the shirt?

FGred, Artrain, Jase and 2 others like this.
  20. Arminius

The FIFA rule applies to all levels - good thing too, now that I play in the 'Over'-age leagues. It could get quite ugly.

There was a Spanish side maybe 10 years ago that was sponsored by BurgerKing that had the BurgerKing face printed on the inside of the shirt for when a player pulled the shirt over his head. If it was the sponsors doing it, they'd just pay Firmino to put their logo on his chest.

21. James H

I thought it was because the ladies started doing it too and it was viewed as improper?
    It was an American girl i think?

22. Arminius

Brandi Chastain - but did the rule come in because of that? It was around 2005 that the shirt-yellow card rule came in to effect I think, although there was a similar rule before if I recall correctly.

James H likes this.
  23. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

I thought the ban originally kicked off after Robbie Fowler showed a protest tee-shirt in support of the Liverpool dockers way back in the day.

24. redfanman

No, there were lots of time wasting celebrations going on with players running into the crowd that i think led to this rule coming in. It's possible that Fowler's celebration played a part, but i dont think so, after all there is already a rule against wearing t-shirts with political slogans.

25. James H

I thought it was that but the timeline's in my head might be screwed up

26. redfanman

http://www.fifa.com/development/new...law-yellow-card-for-removal-jersey-92958.html

Footballers who remove their jerseys during post-goal celebrations are to receive automatic yellow cards. The modification to Law 12, which was approved last February by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), will come into effect from 1 July, 2004.

The IFAB, the body responsible for the Laws of the Game, decided to add a detail to Law 12 relating to 'Fouls and Misconduct', stating: "A player who removes his jersey after scoring a goal will be cautioned for unsporting behaviour."

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

Under the section "Additional Instructions for Referees and Assistant Referees", the Laws clearly state: "Removing one's shirt after scoring is unnecessary and players should avoid such excessive displays of joy."

This decision was agreed on at the 118th Annual Meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) on 28 February 2004 in London, and will come into effect on 1 July this year.

Jase likes this.
  27. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Remember reading some speculation about inciting the crowd or denying the shirt sponsor their closeup glory moment.. who knows.

Odd rule but well known now. Don't do it if you don't want to get booked.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  28. humanrefutation

humanrefutation Active Member

Mings definitely MOTM. That save on Berahino was outstanding, though the fact that Arnautovic was given space to make the pass and Berahino was able to find some space behind Klavan was the epitome of the club's performance against the also-rans this season. It was almost too predictable after Firmino's goal and the resulting situation. The only thing that wasn't predictable was Mignolet's save.

Got to keep on holding on. Champions League play will open up a lot of transfer opportunities this summer.

29. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Lovren was not marking Walters Matip was. Once Matip left Walters free Lovren had a hard decision to make. Who ever he covered Shakiri would just pull back to the other. As I said he made the wrong choice (looked like he was convinced Shakiri would pull the ball back). It's for that that I thought Matip should have stayed on his mark (Walters) rather than try to cut off Shakiri's options. We don't know what could have happened but Mignolet could have at least covered the near post against Shakiri like that.

I am astounded how Matip never gets mentioned in these cock ups when he is an integral part of it.

30. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Lovren's mistakes didn't result in goal, one was a terrible miss hit when he skied the ball up and landed right in our 18 yard box, with a Stoke player unleashed a shot wide. Mignolet was helpless for that one. Then you have that stepping up trying to intercept the ball, only to see him lost it, Stoke crossed the ball in and Mignolet had to pull out a game winning save against Berahino at point blank.

Matip's error was not being aggressive enough in that run of play, and he should stick his neck out a bit to block the ball but he didn't. He left Walters because Clyne stopped on his tracks allowing Klavan to come out and try to block off Shaqiri. Klavan missed, but Clyne still not rushing into position to cover Matip's position when he left it open. Both Lovren and Matip had to vacate their position because of Clyne's and Klavan's error. But as team work goes, like what Mignolet did for Lovren, he should be aware and cover for his teammates.

Lovren is prone to make stupid mistakes. His overzealous move to try and win tackles or the ball when he left his position at times are too risky. He expects his teammates to be available whenever he vacated his post, so therefore he should extend the same courtesy for his teammates when they do the same.

But you won't have that of course....