POST MATCH: Stoke 1 Liverpool 2 (EPL 7/4/17 3pm)

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Mascot88, Apr 8, 2017.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed Apr 15, 2017.
  1. Mignolet

138 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Clyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lovren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Matip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Klavan (Yellow 47')

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Milner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alexander Arnold (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Can

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Woodburn (off 45')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Origi (off 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Coutinho (on 45', GOAL 69')

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. Firmino (on 45', GOAL 71', Yellow 72’)

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Sturridge (on 67')

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Wijnaldum (soz for missing you off, Gini)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Klopp showed yesterday that he is one of the best managers in the world. Top class coaching. Many other manager would have started Coutinho and Firmino because it was a more or less must win match. If he had done that then he could have ended up with two more injured players. He put the players first and himself second.

By showing this it will also make it easier for him to sign the players he want. Players want to move to a manager that put the players first and himself second.

Pecl, FGred and eng.amohd like this.
  2. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I am extremely happy with yesterday's match. It was one of those games where I was watching and waiting for our goals. Klopp played with a strategy like Rocky vs Drago; tire them out then KO them. The first half seemed to counter Stoke's 4-4-2 with 3-5-2 and the team was clearly instructed not to "gegenpress". I liked Woodburn's courage in his free roaming role, which is a huge pressure. I think he coped well, yet he didn't express himself fully. My biggest problem was with starting Clyne on the left. I thought Moreno would be much better fit as a left wingback as I believe it is his best role, an attacking wingback. Our defence again were shambles and gifted Stoke a few gems, having only one CB of 3 in the box during a cross was really embarrassing and shambolic, but thanks to Migs, we only conceded once and made Klopp's gamble count.
    The second half was much better and vibrant, and our attacking play was much more better. A 3-4-3 against a 4-4-2 will overwhelm the opponents and this was clear in the goals.
    Klopp proved he has a lot of tactical acumen, and a good strategist and can be pragmatic when required. Can't wait for WBA now! Chuffed :-)

FGred and Maria like this.
  3. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

He ALWAYS takes all the pressure upon himself, and gives all the praise to the players. He once said explicitly (after Wolves): "...that I am responsible for the bad things and not just the good things, and today was obviously not good, so that’s my responsibility"

FGred likes this.
  4. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

In the cold light of day Klopp got away with it but didnt have much chance with the personel. If Stoke had Coutinho playing for them could easily have been 3-0 at half time.

I felt for the new guys having to play in the awful 352 system on the back foot but i thought TAA showed that he can be a regular next season after a tricky first 15 minutes where he was very exposed by the formation. Woodburn on the other hand doesnt look ready for PL football yet his awareness isnt at the same level. So a big call to keep him at Anfield or loan him out next season. However he is clearly a talent. Saying that he should have been awarded a penalty a blatant penatly

Second half in a more attacking 343 I am sure TAA would have done very well but you can understand the need to go to your first teamers in the situation we were in.

MIngolet best game for LFC so we should all be happy.

The only thing that is really clear from the game is that Klavan is not of the standard required to win the PL and Lovren made plenty of mistakes as well.

Just hope we dont play 3 at the back again because we dont have the quality defenders to do it

Its clear as a team were much better on the front foot than the back foot and I liked how we saw the game out, should have done that against Bournemouth

Just delighted with the win

5. Da Bulli

Da Bulli Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Yeah that is more like it (Y)

Da Bulli likes this.
  7. Makati Red

Just watched the game again and yes we were very lucky, the turning point has to be Mingolet save from Gini back header because at 2-0 game was probably gone.

Stoke had lots of chances in the game but clearly we were the better team in the second half.

8. Flobs

Flobs FADA

I think Matip made more errors than Lovren, a toss up, All 3 didn't know what to do. Klavan was the worst due to his lack of ability technically and passing out.
    I just don't know why Matip get's off so lightly (I'll just put it down to that few of us know how 3 CB's work which isn't a surprise as non of our CB's do either)..

Ʒan, redfanman and MarcusBerglund like this.
  9. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Really? Lovren left people totally unmarked on at least three occassions, including their goal. He was very poor, just think he cannot play without being a huge bag of nerves, unless he plays to a formation he knows well, with a leader next to him who guides him through the game and instructs him on position etc. He is like a headless chicken. For me he is a rotational CB but not a starter, needs a babysitter to perform.

10. Makati Red

Id like to think its going to b VVD and Matip next season or something similar, Klavan back to Augsburg and Lovren as cover.

Lovren cant play in a 3 but to be fair if you have been playing in a 4 all season and then asked to change 75% through the season its not that easy.

Lovren looks ok to me when he plays in a 4 with Matip, thats our best option at the moment

Just to add I think we could do with 2 Cbs if Klopp deems that Gomez is not ready

11. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

The two halves showed the difference between having kids in the side verses established players.

FGred likes this.
  12. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

That is very harsh. The established players never turned up in the 1st half. The kids were ok, not great but defo not to blame.

The 2nd half Klopp got right. Clyne at left wing back didnt work. Jimmy Milner was poor in the 1st half.

Its very easy just to blame the kids.

Got to give Klopp credit for accepting his mistake and doing something about it.

Pecl, ShadesOfRed, Lowton_Red and 3 others like this.
  13. Makati Red

Agreed I actually thought TAA was superb after the first 15 minutes and he had not protection in front of him, Can see him being very much part of the first team squad next season.

As you say Milner in CM didnt work as he gets less space. However id like to see TAA play left back or Clyne have a go there, but I dont see that happening now until CL qualification is secured

OLDIE likes this.
  14. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Now, now, lets be careful. We cant be agreeing with each other. Trend setting stuff

redfanman likes this.
  15. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Not true. Lovren's best performances under Brendan was probably when he played in the middle of the 3.

Flobs and eng.amohd like this.
  16. redfanman

Agree with most of this, except i dont think Klopp made a mistake in the first half, at least selection wise.

OLDIE, Lowton_Red and eng.amohd like this.
  17. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

A 3 at the back is a theoretically better option for us than a back four. We have a good shot-stopper who isn't that great as a sweeper keeper, 2 CBs who can pass the ball in Matip and Klavan and a strong nonsense defender in Lovren. On paper that would be a great combo, with Moreno and Clyne as WBs, but in reality, they aren't used to it. It requires very high organization to combine properly and face several threats. Stoke's goal was a prime example of our defenders not being used to the system (1 defender in the box to defend a cross when you are supposed to have 4 + the LB closing down). I also strongly believe that Conte have been coaching Chelsea at his favoured 3-5-2 during the preseason as a backup plan, since their transition to it was seamless.

18. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I very much believe it is a calculated risk: Play safe 1st half, don't press, tire out Stoke and come out with least damage. Since Phil and Bobby had at most 45 mins in them, Klopp had a gamble that, with a bit of luck and Mignolet, worked perfectly.

Maria and koptician like this.
  19. Makati Red

Also Chelsea have better cbs than us dont see Conte giving Lovren or Klavan a game for chelsea

eng.amohd likes this.
  20. koptician

koptician We'll go again!

I think it also shows (ARE YOU LISTENING FSG!!!) that we need reinforcements in all areas this summer

redfanman likes this.
  21. Alex

Alex since 2004

Positives: second half

Negatives: first half..

22. redfanman

I dont think the goal we conceded was a fault from not understanding the system, it was just poor defending all round from a number of players. Just like the goal by Bournemouth earlier in the week.

23. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Of course it is poor defending, but yesterday I see the poor defending was emphasized by lack of defensive understanding in the 3 at the back system. Last season too the press was many times disjointed due to lack of familiarity with the system. Now it is very fluid and effective.

Billy Biskix likes this.
  24. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

Klavan can pass? What?

Flobs and redfanman like this.
  25. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

That was very much my reading of the game as well.

I don't know if it was my imagination but a lot of the Stoke players looked out of condition / overweight. Charlie Adam certainly looked like he was carrying a few surplus pounds.

So, allow Stoke the opportunity to run themselves out of steam in the first half whilst containing them / limiting their scoring chances. It almost worked perfectly, except for some shoddy defending.

Then, introduce Phil and Bob (both of whom would be unlikely to last a full 90 minutes) at half time, run Stoke ragged - win the game.

Livvy, Wyld@Heart, LaurazRed and 4 others like this.
  26. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Bit of both I think. When you see the Stoke goal it looks as though we must have been caught on the break because Shaqiri has loads of space and Walters is then totally unmarked. But although it came shortly after the Woodburn incident we had plenty of time to get into shape, pick up players, etc. Poor decision making from Lovren and Klavan in the build-up but doesn't look to me as though anyone really knows what they're supposed to be doing in that situation. This is an unfamiliar system for Klopp let alone the players. Hard thing to introduce so close to the end of the season.

27. football.tiger

football.tiger TIA Squad Member

He looked like he'd knocked back a dozen pints, picked up half a dozen double cheeseburgers on the way home, then thought fuck it, I'll just have a short kip on the medical stretcher so I don't have to drive in tomorrow...

Lowton_Red and redfanman like this.
  28. redfanman

For the wider team, definitely the system plays its part. For Lovren and Klavan i dont think they can hide behind that excuse. They werent communicating and Lovren was just standing around watching, didnt even attempt to go with the runner.

eng.amohd and Lowton_Red like this.
  29. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

We had ample opportunity to prevent Shakiri making / completing the cross.

Clyne didn't try, Klavan missed his tackle and Matip ducked away from the cross. I have absolutely no idea who or what Can and Lovren thought they were defending.

[​IMG]
    It appeared to me as if Can and Clyne were competing to see who could be slowest jogging into the box.

30. Makati Red

The system and team selection for the WBA game should be very interesting

Hopefully we go back to a 4 but play with two holding DMs

That worked very well against Everton and Bournemouth until we changed the system